New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fun Down On the Farmpunk: Join in!

Well, that's not a bad thing, really. I can totally see that happening.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

My version of the Gangster is up.

EDIT:
    Also, what about a pool of talents that anyone can take? The one I though of off the top of my head was like:

I've Been Around

Basic: You gain one extra feat.
    Intermediate: You gain another extra feat.
    Master: You gain two extra feats, on top of the two you have already gained.

Though we do not have feats ironed out, maybe someone would be feat starved, and this would help. Maybe there are other general talents that could be useful to every class.
    Last edited by 0tt3r; 2010-12-21 at 09:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #423

I'm not sure... generally "stuff everyone can take" is generally covered by feats.

Also, I made this. Tell me what you think:

{table=head]Level|Defences|Feats|Basic Talents|Improved Talents|Master Talents

1st|
    +0
    |
    |
    |

2nd|
    +1
    |
    |
    |

3rd|
    +1
    |
    |
    |

4th|
    +2
    |
    |
    |

5th|
    +2
    |
    |
    |

6th|
    +3
    |
    |
    |

7th|
    +3
    |
    |
    |

8th|
    +4
    |
    |
    |

9th|
    +4
    |
    |
    |

10th|
    +5
    |
    |
    |
    [/table]

Finally: any classes not covered yet? I'm in the brewing mood.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-12-22 at 06:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cheezewizz2000 View Post

Hmm... perhaps if you start with 3 talents, you could gain one at every odd level and improve one every even. That way (assuming E8) you'd have 6 talents, which you would have improved 4 times. This would mean at level 8 you'd have 6 talents split as so:

2 basic, 4 improved.
    3 basic, 2 improved and 1 master.
    2 basic, 3 improved and 1 master.
    3 basic, 1 improved and 2 master.

Eyeballing it, that doesn't seem so bad. Still need about 9 talents for each class, but we don't need OVER NINE for flexibility's sake. Of course, the more talents the merrier, but 9 seems like a nice number to aim for
    That was also suggested earlier. I am not sure which one I like better. I like the flexibility of being able to choose to improve or master a talent, and, as such, being able to have no masters and a bunch of improved, or little improved and more mastered.

I think the Wilderness Man has not been claimed.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Bugbear in the Playground

on the topic of claiming classes, I sort of claimed the Rascal and then did nothing about it.
    I'm very bad with mechanical balancing, I'll just list the ideas I had here:

Snake Oil - A magic potion created with a Bluff check, provides temporary hit points.
    Rustling - A rascal is good at making off with other people's horses and cattle. Bonus to handle animal/ride checks, idk.
    Hmmm... maybe also a talent for subverting one's allies, servants, etc... The Rascal is the one who gets the big-bad's mooks or lieutenants to turn against him. rascally thing to do...
    Other levels of 23 - Skidoo - modifying tracking checks against the party, giving the party bonuses to athletics for the purposes of running away.

...and yeah. not much. sorry.
    I think I'll shy away from mechanics. Might write up a little more fluff (hopefully it will get noticed in the future )

Also had an Idea to draw up a map of the setting, with all the cities, landmarks, railways, and other points of interest marked off.

Edit: Which brings me to the question, does our setting, along with the Administration Entities, Spooks, Agents, and the Government Proper, have its territory divided into states?

I'd say yes, to keep the same ones, but only the interesting ones. Leave off all the boring states that nobody cares about/do not appear in fiction.
    This means you [aptly chosen state that no one cares about].
    Last edited by Science Officer; 2010-12-23 at 01:03 AM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Barbarian in the Playground

The classic sneak attack is always good for the rogue-type class. Take a look through the special abilities of the 3.5 rogue and check what could work. You might want to give the swashbuckler a look-over for ideas as well.
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

7. - Top - End - #427

If we went with states, we should make them fictional states.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Definitely fictional states. Are we going to have any sort of Indian parallel? Or, like a group that lives in the Wild, maybe analogous to the Administration, just instead of pushing the borders of the cities, they try to push the Wild back on the range?

9. - Top - End - #429

I thought we did, yes. Wild humans was the temporary name I gave them in my head.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Wild Humans sounds good. If we're doing subtypes, they could just be normal people with the Wild subtype.

I'm starting to notice something a little odd. It seems that in all of the base classes we're making, we have yet to see a low-skill class. All of them are 6 + Int skill points per level. I'm a little unsure of what this might mean for the system as a whole. This might be a problem, or it could just mean everyone in the party has a good variety of skills. Any thoughts?
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Wild Humans sounds good. If we're doing subtypes, they could just be normal people with the Wild subtype.

I'm starting to notice something a little odd. It seems that in all of the base classes we're making, we have yet to see a low-skill class. All of them are 6 + Int skill points per level. I'm a little unsure of what this might mean for the system as a whole. This might be a problem, or it could just mean everyone in the party has a good variety of skills. Any thoughts?
    Low skills are a bit lame. I think if anyone has less than 4 skill points per level, then they'll be a bit dull to play. I would like to think that any of these classes could conceivably drift from town to town, helping out folks that need helping, hoping the next drift will be the drift home...

Ok, so they can't all be Sam Beckett, but still, hard to imagine that when they can't spot, listen, run and jump and know a bit about the world.
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

12. - Top - End - #432
    Bugbear in the Playground

so... fictional states it is. (of course, to be inspired by real world geography and such)

Fictional state names:

Lonestar - quite obvious what this is based on. deserts, ranches, rangers... all that

Whitesands - desert-y area, in the southwest and south-central. not all the sands are white, but some of it is. land of mesas and buttes. also would be where the proposed Vegas analogue might be

Badlands - farther into the Wild in the southwest, the nastier desert. full of rattlesnakes, prickly pears and outlaws.

Bluegrass - idk, but it seemed like a good name.

The Sticks - large forest. the Wild. just thought it would be funny that you'd actually be "out in the Sticks"

Appalachia

Edit:
    Columbia - East Coast state. lots of guv'ment influence.
    Last edited by Science Officer; 2010-12-24 at 12:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Science Officer View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

Whitesands - desert-y area, in the southwest and south-central. not all the sands are white, but some of it is. land of mesas and buttes. also would be where the proposed Vegas analogue might be.
    Maybe the Vegas analogue would be inside or on top of a mesa? Like, at night, you can see the lights for miles through the desert, the shimmering lights glinting off of the pearly sand.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 0tt3r View Post
    My version of the Gangster is up.
    No one has commented on my Gangster yet. If anyone has time, I would appreciate it.

Also, bump.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

Bluegrass - idk, but it seemed like a good name.
    Have this state be similar to the Appalachia region. Deciduous forests, mountainous and hilly, swamps and wetlands when the hills stop. Lots of rivers, very few lakes. Perhaps on the other side of the mountains is Whitesands, which is why there are so many mesas and whatnot.

Go Tigers!

17. - Top - End - #437

Bluegrass sounds more like a savannah/prairie type thing to me. Endless grasslands with a few scattered bushes.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Bluegrass sounds more like a savannah/prairie type thing to me. Endless grasslands with a few scattered bushes.
    I was thinking Bluegrass as in Kentucky, which is an Appalachian state. Besides, the Texas spin off is the prairie, and Appalachia is easily as rooted in Americana lore as Texas and whatnot. It was even here first.

Perhaps make it the edge between the wild and the range, where the wild men live?

Go Tigers!

19. - Top - End - #439

Just an idea I had...

Werewolves

Werewolves gain certain bonuses, depending on where they are.
    In the wild, a werewolf gains scent, a +2 bonus to wisdom, darkvision to a distance of 60 feet, damage reduction 5/silver and Track as a bonus feat. They can change into a wolf as a swift action at will, gaining a +2 natural armour bonus, a +10 ft. bonus to their land speed, +2 strength, +4 dexterity, their damage reduction increases to 10/silver and a bite attack dealing 1d6 damage, but they lose the use of their hands and all their equipment melts into their new form.

While in the range, they gain low-light vision, damage reduction 2/silver and track as a bonus feat. They can change shape at will into a hybrid wolf/human form, in which they gain +2 strength, +4 dexterity and a bite attack dealing 1d6 damage, as well as increasing their damage reduction to 5/silver.

While in the city, they are barely affected by their condition, gaining only low-light vision. They can not change form, but enter a wild rage, giving them a +1 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to armour class.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Just an idea I had...

Werewolves

Werewolves gain certain bonuses, depending on where they are.
    In the wild, a werewolf gains scent, a +2 bonus to wisdom, darkvision to a distance of 60 feet, damage reduction 5/silver and Track as a bonus feat. They can change into a wolf as a swift action at will, gaining a +2 natural armour bonus, a +10 ft. bonus to their land speed, +2 strength, +4 dexterity, their damage reduction increases to 10/silver and a bite attack dealing 1d6 damage, but they lose the use of their hands and all their equipment melts into their new form.

While in the range, they gain low-light vision, damage reduction 2/silver and track as a bonus feat. They can change shape at will into a hybrid wolf/human form, in which they gain +2 strength, +4 dexterity and a bite attack dealing 1d6 damage, as well as increasing their damage reduction to 5/silver.

While in the city, they are barely affected by their condition, gaining only low-light vision. They can not change form, but enter a wild rage, giving them a +1 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to armour class.
    Mechanic-wise I love it.
    I think that in the city though they should behave more like dogs than wolves, and for this reason the Range and Wilderness lycans look at them as 'domesticated.'
    Edit: Maybe the smell of Dog doesn't come off either when they leave the city. All the mechanic stuff stays the same, but other Werewolves know that they've been 'changed' and are no longer a member of the old family... would it be transmitted by genetics, disease, or ritual? I like ritual and genetics personally. Lycanthropy as a disease seems... less mystical.

Also I've been doing some thinking about the Wilderness 'Native American tribes' I'm thinking each should have their own language, they all revere, not worship or fear, Coyote. Except, of course, Big Bear's tribe. Which are considered to be the tribe that took one step towards becoming 'westernized' by striking a deal with old scratch.

Which brings me to a question.
    Ol' Scratch.
    Has he always been here, but before the times of the ruralization was he like a jackal, wild and hungry looking for someone to trick, and took to the farmers like a fish to water, or did he come over with them?
    Cypher, I see as being from 'the country across the water.' A man of exquisite taste, and all that. Sipping gin in the jazz club. Dry gin!
    The nerve of some trickster malevolent presences.

So... we've done well with 3s, 3 prominent Native clans in the area, let's call them families, that have smaller clans under them. For example the 'Quick Example Family' would have various clans under it such as the 'For Reference,' 'Placeholders' and 'Generically Named' clans which all share common values and ideologies, but may have different traditions, and means of surviving. I don't see the three families as being particularly antagonistic towards each other, but perhaps a little indifferent. One day an ally, the other day robbing their chickens, of course with a good reason to do so.

Names is a thing though... I'm thinking since this is a fantasy game... fantasy names would be best, probably loosely based on existing names, and existing languages. (Google is a wondrous tool).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2010-12-28 at 09:07 AM.
    Come with me, time out of mind...

21. - Top - End - #441

Just as a quick aside: I mostly based city werewolves on real-life clinical lycanthropy, or the belief that one can transform into an animal.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

If we are doing threes, maybe Cypher is city, Ol' Scratch is range, and Átahsaia (obtained from google search for Native American demon, other names acceptable) for the wild.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 0tt3r View Post
    If we are doing threes, maybe Cypher is city, Ol' Scratch is range, and Átahsaia (obtained from google search for Native American demon, other names acceptable) for the wild.
    I thought we had settled on Coyote? Or are they the same?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-01-04 at 04:15 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

24. - Top - End - #444
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I did not know we had settled. If we had, than disregard what I said. It was the first thing that came to mind when trying to think of something to bump this.