New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fun Down On the Farmpunk: Join in!

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    Saga was basically the test-ground for some basic 4E concepts while staying pretty much in line with 3E's class and level system. Basic summary:

- At first level, you gain a nice set of bonus feats and proficiencies for your opening class. If you multiclass, you only get to choose one of those feats from the first level of another class.
    - 1st level characters get a bunch of HP, making them more survivable.
    - Characters acquire BAB from class levels in the same way, but have no iterative attacks. 1/2 your level is added to all damage rolls.
    - They dropped saving throws for static Defenses, fused AC into the Reflex Defense, gave each class a particular set of defense bonuses (none higher than +4), and had you add your level to all your defenses.
    - Feats work pretty much the same way, but special emphasis was put on making them not completely terrible.
    - Skills work a lot like 4E: no ranks, add half your level to the roll, +5 if you're trained in the skill, another +5 for skill focus.
    - Classes give Talents at odd-numbered levels and bonus feats for even-numbered levels. Talents are selected from one of the lists available when taking that class, bonus feats are whatever you want.
    - Conditions are summarized on the "condition track," a scale that determines the effects of getting beaten up, exhausted and having special power used on you.

We wouldn't have to use all of that by any means, but it's a pretty good chassis.
    Meh... I know the talent/feat system for classes from d20 modern, and at least there, it made all the classes samey and bland. We need some real class powers.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmmm, the SAGA system definitely allows for unique classes and abilities.
    Perhaps an example could help.

At first level, and every second level after that, a Scoundrel may choose a talent that they meet the prerequisites for from the Fortune, Misfortune, Slicer, or Spacer Talent trees. No other base class can select talents from those trees, some PrCs accessible to Scoundrels can still choose talents from them in addition to having a few of their own. Trees are expanded upon and added to in various splatbooks.

So yeah, unless everyone multi-classes like mad, they will have very distinct sets of powers.

SAGA edition also has rules for Force Points (probably won't use the rules for Force users, but every sentient being in the galaxy is enshrouded by the Force, and they all manipulate it in some way whether they know it or not. Force Points represent non-magical, "luck" occurrences that happen to them) which may be useful for mitigating non-magical abilities.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Saga characters do end up being pretty different, but we can go to levels beyond that. The virtue of the talent system is that not everyone within a class will have the same ability set. Since we'll be writing the individual talents, though, we can make the abilities available to particular classes very different.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

4. - Top - End - #154

Okay, then. I guess that's just bias from d20 modern, where every talent seemed to boil down to "get +2 to stat X".

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    Poker-Dice-Knife games, actually.
    That and 'I've Never.'
    Sounds awesome.

Saga characters do end up being pretty different, but we can go to levels beyond that. The virtue of the talent system is that not everyone within a class will have the same ability set. Since we'll be writing the individual talents, though, we can make the abilities available to particular classes very different.
    Yeah, I've played Saga Edition twice - as in two sessions. I found it rather enjoyable. Versatile, but balanced, and you're not limited to a single class as in DnD 4E.

While I am not sure what to do for the classes, I might have ideas for magic or technological items once we get some basic rule ideas up. Also, feel free to derive stuff from my DnD Commoner work.

Oh, by the by, considering we'll be working with varying levels of technology depending on the area, perhaps technological items should also have a Tech Level and be unusable in any place with a lower overall Tech Level. Same with a Magic Level for magic items.

For instance:
    ~ In the Four Shining Cities, High Tech items and below can be used. Low Magic items can be used, but not Medium and High Magic items.
    ~ In the Outer Cities, High Tech items get a penalty to their use, but Medium and Low Tech items can be used normally. Medium Magic items can be used at a penalty and Low Magic items function normally.
    ~ In the Outskirts, Medium Tech items and below can be used. Medium and Low Magic items can be used, but not High Magic items.
    ~ In the Range, Medium Tech items get a penalty to their use, but Low Tech items can be used normally. High Magic items can be used at a penalty and Low and Medium Magic items function normally.
    ~ In the Wild, only Low Tech items can be used, and High Magic items and below function normally.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #156

I'd suggest just using three tech levels. I propose naming them Primitive, Robust and Fancy.

Fancy items stop working out side the cities. "Your fancy pistol is no use here."
    Robust items don't work out in the wild.
    Primitive items work everywhere.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

RE: Fancy, Robust and Primitive - sounds good. Fancy items shouldn't make up the majority of technological items, of course. A revolver or rifle is robust, for example, but a tommy gun or clip-loader is fancy.

RE: Magic items - they should be pretty low-key, I think. If we're using Saga-esque rules, they're not really necessary for game balance, and rugged individualism demands heroes get by chiefly on luck, skill and talent. Whiskeys, poultices, elixirs, lucky (or unlucky) charms, maybe the occasional fortune telling device or possessed urn.
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

8. - Top - End - #158

How about giving a few examples.

Firearm:
    Fancy: Tommy gun, clip-loaded pistol
    Robust: Six-shooter, Rifle
    Primitive: early breech-loaders, flintlocks

Explosives:
    Fancy: hand grenades
    Robust: dynamite
    Primitive: a glass or clay grenade

Engines:
    Fancy: Diesel, petroleum
    Robust: Steam
    Primitive: wind, water, horse

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I'd suggest just using three tech levels. I propose naming them Primitive, Robust and Fancy.

Fancy items stop working out side the cities. "Your fancy pistol is no use here."
    That sounds good.

RE: Magic items - they should be pretty low-key, I think. If we're using Saga-esque rules, they're not really necessary for game balance, and rugged individualism demands heroes get by chiefly on luck, skill and talent. Whiskeys, poultices, elixirs, lucky (or unlucky) charms, maybe the occasional fortune telling device or possessed urn.
    Yeah, I was just going by "if we use Tech levels, why not Magic levels", but this isn't meant to be a high-magic setting. At all. Perhaps magic items could get a small bonus in the Wild though.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

I think magic items just giving bonuses to rolls of specific types would work well. You could have a couple charms that together give, for example, +4 to hit and +2 to damage.
    In the wild, on the other hand, it could be more like +6 to hit and +3 to damage. Just as an example of what seems like a good fit.
    Last edited by absolmorph; 2010-11-28 at 02:58 PM.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

11. - Top - End - #161

You mean...

Solid Gold Fiddle

This magical violin is said to have been enchanted by Ol' Scratch so that instead of screeching terribly or making no noise at all, it instead plays sweet music.
    +4 on all perform checks, +6 in the wild.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

While some magic items might give flat bonuses, I don't think they should stack. A famous sharpshooter's sights tied to your sleeve might give you a +1 to rifle attacks, but having seven famous sharpshooter's sights tied to your sleeve is just being a showoff.

Also, wild magic might be stronger in the wild, but not all magic is wild magic. On the one hand, a charm blessed by a native clan's patron spirit might wax or wane in areas of strength of weakness for that spirit. On the other hand, that whiskey your grandaddy's grandaddy put down in the cellar nearly a century ago will knit up a man's wounds no matter where he drinks it.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

You mean...

Solid Gold Fiddle

This magical violin is said to have been enchanted by Ol' Scratch so that instead of screeching terribly or making no noise at all, it instead plays sweet music.
    +4 on all perform checks, +6 in the wild.
    That would be Perform (String) checks.
    And that's a much better example. I just threw out what came to mind.

And I think gkathellar has a point, too. Some items should fluctuate, but others should work just as well no matter where they are. Having Wild magic and another sort (just calling it magic doesn't seem quite right), with Wild magic being wild and the other being more orderly seems like it would fit.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Wow. Seems like you've got something with great potential to be both very awesome and very unique. Any room for another contributor?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    Wow. Seems like you've got something with great potential to be both very awesome and very unique. Any room for another contributor?
    Hey, always. The more souls stolen, the merrier for Ol' Scratch, Coyote and Cypher.

16. - Top - End - #166

Actually, I just trademarked this entire thing as my own copyright, so everyone posting a word about it that I didn't approve of being a contributer will get sued before an international court.

Didn't you know that?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Having just read through the thread, I'm personally getting the sense that a lot of this setting has been influenced by its everyday people's beliefs, after all, it is being based off a bunch of folk tales from that period. So I'm gonna take legally acquire the rights to contribute to this idea and run with it .

Something that struck me was that instead of dividing the classes between city and wilderness versions they could instead be defined in terms of what sort of belief/motivation primarily drives them (in other words, where does their willpower come from).

It's already been noted that children's "imagination" carries its own type of power, and that it differs from the logical/constant/scientific state of mind that empowers a doctor or engineer or the staunch "traditions"* of a farmer or pioneer. Different abilities would have be more or less effective against the different motivations (it's easier to trick a man of conviction out of his soul than it is to attempt to barter it out of him), and part of the scary bit about the administration's agents would be their apparent lack of any sort of motivation to confront.

So basically, the priest and the lawman are both fuelled by their "faith in a cause" (I think the term folks have been throwing around for the priest is "conviction", though I'm not sure whether the lawman would always fall into this category), and these two classes share access to a "Conviction" talent tree. As an example, one of the Conviction talents could add a bonus (i.e. bonus vitality points or temporary damage reduction) to when even you spend a force fate point to "keep on going" when you otherwise couldn't (i.e. negating a the effects of a wound point or of exhaustion). Finally, any character with a level in a class motivated by their conviction is essentially given something like a [conviction] sub-type that grants a few small benefits and drawbacks.

I'm not sure how multiclassing would work (maybe they'd just gain another motivation type, but can't advance the first's talents until they're back in a matching class), or whether some or all of the classes would be able to choose where they draw they draw their beliefs from. The whole point of this is to give an alternative sort of alignment system that doesn't divide the setting into two unchanging halves.

To go a little further with the idea of belief as a source of power, we can justify a character's feats as the "Legends" or "Tall Tales" the character's name has accumulated. In other words, they are the results of the embellishments and extensions people have made to your character's story since you've last levelled up. So Talents come from a character's training and to a lesser extent their beliefs, while Feats spring from the tall tales of the common folks. If you want to take this a step further then you could even refluff/rename the whole "levelling up" process into one of "retelling" the story of your folk hero.

So yeah, I must say that this was a lot clearer in my head.
    tl;dr: each class gets a sort of source of motivation that acts a little like an alignment subtype and unlocks a unique talent tree. Also, characters should be like living stories, and levelling up should totally be called retelling.

*I need a better word than "tradition" for this.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This doesn't seem rural enough for "Farm" punk. When I saw the thread name, I was thinking "Ya gotta find first gear, in your giant robot car tractor!"
    Mix some Chicago in there and we're set.
    For reference, Chicago isn't "Ritzy-Stars-Ville," it's "Fedora-and-Tommy-Gun-type-Gangster City." Stereotypical Chicago is the dark side of stereotypical urban sprawls: the dirty streets, perpetual twilight, the hardy gumshoe with his cigarette and bottle of scotch, and him and his dame of a secretary operating out of an office in a dilapidated apartment-style building, the only refuge for hapless socialites against the omnipresent, all-controlling Mob. Think Gotham, but without Batman or his rogues gallery.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    This doesn't seem rural enough for "Farm" punk. When I saw the thread name, I was thinking "Ya gotta find first gear, in your giant robot car tractor!"
    Well, I think this is steadily evolving into more Americana Punk. The focus is eventually going to be on the rural areas as that's where all the myths and legends take place; where Ol' Scratch and Cypher go looking for some souls to steal and where Coyote and Great Bear guide and nurse their people in the ways of the wilderness (note - Great Bear: the name of the immortal chieftain, or another animal totem? Same thing? Perhaps our immortal chieftain is possessed by Great Bear?); where gran'paw's trick knee can predict the weather for the next week and Johnny really is walking around leaving a trail of apple trees in his wake.

The cities are there as contrast more than anything else. How can the Range and the Wild be special places where a man can truly be a man unless there is somewhere less pure, full of crime and soft city folk, to at once both look down on these uncivilised country bumpkins and also aspire to be as honest and hard working as these "men of the land"?
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Jolee View Post
    So yeah, I must say that this was a lot clearer in my head.
    tl;dr: each class gets a sort of source of motivation that acts a little like an alignment subtype and unlocks a unique talent tree. Also, characters should be like living stories, and levelling up should totally be called retelling.

*I need a better word than "tradition" for this.
    Actually, how about the following idea: every class gets two such sources, the mixture creates the classes. (They should also get something unique, but you get the idea).

Pioneer: Wilderness, X
    Cowboy: Gunman, Wilderness
    Farmer: Technology, Tradition
    Engineer: Technology, Knowledge
    Doctor: Knowledge, Healing
    Priest: Tradition, Conviction
    Vagabond: Magic, X
    Lawman: Conviction, Gunman
    Stranger: Magic, Social
    Rascal: Sneaky, Social
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-11-29 at 04:52 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Having just read through the thread, I'm personally getting the sense that a lot of this setting has been influenced by its everyday people's beliefs, after all, it is being based off a bunch of folk tales from that period. So I'm gonna take legally acquire the rights to contribute to this idea and run with it .
    Good to hear .

Something that struck me was that instead of dividing the classes between city and wilderness versions they could instead be defined in terms of what sort of belief/motivation primarily drives them (in other words, where does their willpower come from).
    We're actually not dividing the classes into city and wilderness versions. It was suggested by a few people, but my impression at least was that we collectively moved away from that idea.

It's already been noted that children's "imagination" carries its own type of power, and that it differs from the logical/constant/scientific state of mind that empowers a doctor or engineer or the staunch "traditions"* of a farmer or pioneer. Different abilities would have be more or less effective against the different motivations (it's easier to trick a man of conviction out of his soul than it is to attempt to barter it out of him), and part of the scary bit about the administration's agents would be their apparent lack of any sort of motivation to confront.
    It's a cool idea, but I don't like typecasting the classes that much. The direction we seem to be heading in is that each class is a "super-archetype" that covers a number of lesser archetypes.

I'm not sure how multiclassing would work (maybe they'd just gain another motivation type, but can't advance the first's talents until they're back in a matching class), or whether some or all of the classes would be able to choose where they draw they draw their beliefs from. The whole point of this is to give an alternative sort of alignment system that doesn't divide the setting into two unchanging halves.
    I don't think we need an alignment system at all, and if we did, again, I wouldn't want to tie it to class.

To go a little further with the idea of belief as a source of power, we can justify a character's feats as the "Legends" or "Tall Tales" the character's name has accumulated. In other words, they are the results of the embellishments and extensions people have made to your character's story since you've last levelled up. So Talents come from a character's training and to a lesser extent their beliefs, while Feats spring from the tall tales of the common folks. If you want to take this a step further then you could even refluff/rename the whole "levelling up" process into one of "retelling" the story of your folk hero.
    If feats are going to cover broader abilities that should be available to every class, this won't work out. And doesn't this kind of remove the possibility of having a little-known, inconspicuous hero?

I have issues with all these ideas - they (a) straightjacket classes into a narrow archetype, (b) make multiclassing awkward, (c) favor one play style strongly, and (d) sound too much like the "belief shapes reality" philosophy of Planescape and Scion, which while not an uninteresting or bad idea, is too metaphysical for a game like this.

Eh, ideas grow.

For reference, Chicago isn't "Ritzy-Stars-Ville," it's "Fedora-and-Tommy-Gun-type-Gangster City." Stereotypical Chicago is the dark side of stereotypical urban sprawls: the dirty streets, perpetual twilight, the hardy gumshoe with his cigarette and bottle of scotch, and him and his dame of a secretary operating out of an office in a dilapidated apartment-style building, the only refuge for hapless socialites against the omnipresent, all-controlling Mob. Think Gotham, but without Batman or his rogues gallery.
    I'm aware of that. That's exactly why I suggested it. Chicago has a long history of corruption that would work nicely for the underbelly of the Gold City.

Quote Originally Posted by cheezewizz2000 View Post
    Well, I think this is steadily evolving into more Americana Punk. The focus is eventually going to be on the rural areas etc. etc. etc.
    I wouldn't say that. The cities are havens of culture, technological growth and human ingenuity. And they have their own peculiar kind of magic at work. Genre-wise, the direction we're veering towards is chiefly magical realism, and while there's plenty of rural magical realism, there's also plenty of urban folklore. Sure, it tends to be darker, but darkness can be a fun play environment.

22. - Top - End - #172

Aye. Urban legends are their own kind of fun to use for this.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Oh, by the by, considering we'll be working with varying levels of technology depending on the area, perhaps technological items should also have a Tech Level and be unusable in any place with a lower overall Tech Level. Same with a Magic Level for magic items.

I like both of these ideas.
    As for 'Magic Items' I think we should have something similar, and a little stronger than -2 when using it in the City.

Magic System like
    Wild: Wild items cease functioning outside of the Wilds. "I Rekken yer walkin' stick ain't no good out here boy.'
    Folk: Folk Items don't function in the Cities. "All I've ever gotten from moonshine was drunk."
    Subtle: Subtle items work everywhere.

So I'm gonna take legally acquire the rights to contribute to this idea and run with it
    Any legal action involving the aquisition or rights or obligations that directly involve any project that in one mode or another can be traced to the existence of the following entities may directly effect the participants soul by means of excahange unto the entity effected: Scratch, Cypher, and Coyote.

... Coyote and Great Bear guide and nurse their people in the ways of the wilderness (note - Great Bear: the name of the immortal chieftain, or another animal totem? Same thing? Perhaps our immortal chieftain is possessed by Great Bear?)
    Great Bear is a fantastic Name. One of Coyote's People in the Pocket of Ol' Scratch.

Johnny really is walking around leaving a trail of apple trees in his wake.
    Oh no.
    Its a hobo who has forsaken booze for natural fruits!
    Its an applegaurd!
    Come with me, time out of mind...

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh no.
    Its an appleguard!
    *You dispatch the foul Appleguard with a might blow from your Ale Tankard of Oh Wait That's A Bucket.
    =>Loot desiccated, apple-smelling corpse.
    *You retrieve a collection of suboptimal feat choices and nature magazines.
    =>Make magazines into whiskey.
    *You already have.
    =>Check his teeth.
    *You are now blind.

25. - Top - End - #175

=> Go north.
    *It's dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grizzly.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh no.
    Its an applegaurd!
    I heartily object. Hard cider, anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh how I need to return to the Sidrerias of San Sebastián.
    Alright... maybe he wasn't an antihobo, but he Hard Cider hain't nuthin like moonshine or whiskey.
    But I have... a friend... who has a story... about a man with a still a few apples and some potatoes and an interesting result.
    Okay.
    Johnny wasn't an applegaurd, but still, I like the idea of 'Fallen' Hobos.
    Maybe they fall into money, and government corruption.

The 'Self Made Man.'
    Its something I wouldn't wish on any traveler of the tracks. You wind up selling more than your soul.

The Entity would have government sway, and offer high paying jobs to these Hobos, making them work in corrupt political systems, trading all they hold dear for... well, what can they offer?
    Come with me, time out of mind...

28. - Top - End - #178

Heh.

Over here, that's known as "The White Fairy", made mostly from potatoes. As opposed to "The Green Fairy", Absinthe.

Oh, and Distill Booze should totally be the replacement for Brew Potion.

Now, what kinds of boozes are there, and what do they do? They can certainly be used to make fire, sterilize wounds and warm someone when they are cold (yes, I know, it doesn't work in the real world. Here, it does.)
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-11-29 at 08:50 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Guide to terms:
    Good-stuff - Higher quality, but much more expensive
    (S) - Ammount for one dose.

B - Bottle (small). M - Mug. G - Glass. S - Shot. D - Drop.

B=M. M = 2x G. G = 8x S. S = 10x D. 1 drop ~0.2 fl oz.
    Drops are larger than expected due to the overall lack of pipettes, so "tipping until a little comes out" is the usual method of measurement. Beer mugs contain more than a pint because that's the way my daddy always drunks it and it never done him no harm.

How it works
    All bonuses last for one hour only and stack to a maximum of +6. All penalties last for an hour per dose and stack indefinately. All of these reduce your dexterity and wisdom. If listed as "damage", the effects are permanent until you can find someone to fix you up. All bonuses are +1 (+2 if it's "good stuff") and all penalties are -2 for each dose. Vagrants can resist the penalties of moonshine up to half their level.

Waterin' it down
    Watering down booze reduces the duration by half and reduces the bonuses and penalties by 1, however it doubles the volume (and thus the number of doses you can get out of it). Gutrot cannot be watered down, for some reason adding water to it does not change the effects or even the volume. It just makes it mad.

Cocktails
    Mixin' up a cocktail is the same as waterin' a drink down, but you get the effect of both drinks. Some cocktails might have other effects, but that's for a whole other post by a whole other person. I can't think of anything.

An Eagle Scouts Spotter's Guide to Hooch (Illegal!)

Moonshine (S): Increases strength, reduces intelligence. Cures 2d8+3 hit points. The Hobos require daily moonshine to use their hobilities.

Brandy (S): No penalties for being in cold conditions, increases constitution, reduces intelligence (double duration if served by a dog)

Port (G): +4 bonus to saves against fear, reduces intelligence (dutch courage)

Beer (M/B): Increases your charisma, reduces intelligence (GO TEAM!)

Whiskey (S): +4 to saves against enchantments and mind affecting effects, reduces charisma and intelligence (I drink to forget)

Gin (S): Increases intelligence, reduces charisma (Stuffy city folk thinkin' they're too good fer us drink gin...)

Wine (G): Increases charisma, reduces strength (Only wimps & the French drink wine. Y'aren't French are ya, Frenchie?)

Eggnog (G): Increases charisma, increases constitution, reduces intelligence (gather round for a little holiday cheer!)

Absinthe (S): Damage to charisma, intelligence, strength and constitution. Provides a prophetic vision which can either provide the player with some insider knowledge, or provides a +10 bonus to your next skill check. GM's choice.

Vodka (S): Increases constitution and strength, reduces charisma and intelligence.

Gutrot (D): Allows a new fort-save against poisons and diseases for each dose with a +1 bonus (+2 for "good stuff"). Reduces hardiness after 5 minutes. Explosive. Corrodes glass and metal. ("Gram'paw'll be fine. Ain't nothin' that can survive gutrot" "What about gram'paw?" "... Boy, run'n get father O'Reilly...")

Caring for your Gutrot

Gutrot needs to be kept in little wooden barrells and labelled with x's. Smart people keep it on its lonesome and away from the windows, as putting it in with other liquors tends to make 'em piss theirselfs (any alcoholic beverage within 5' of gutrot waters itself down without changing volume). Keep yer gutrot barrells in seperate rooms as, left with no-one to keep an eye on 'em, barrels of gutrot'll fight to the death. If more than one barrell of gutrot is left alone in a room, by the time you get back there will be only one barrell of gutrot left looking mighty proud of itself. If it starts misbehavin' in anyway, shut the door and call the sherriff.
    Last edited by cheezewizz2000; 2010-12-02 at 04:57 PM.
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Guide to terms:
    Chutzpah - Strength
    I've seen this word before. I think the Toon RPG used it as a Charisma-like stat.
    ~Snipped Awesomeness~
    On the topic of potions/booze/whatever, what about the selling of "Snake Oil," to be made/sold by the rogue-types. Maybe it could have booze-like effects, at a lower power level and/or shorter duration. A Lesser version of the potion, as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!