New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Sword: A Warblade's Handbook [Under Construction]

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zawisza View Post
    How is Balance a key skill for Iron Heart and Stone Dragon? The term "balance check" isn't included in any of their maneuver/stance descriptions.
    It be a fluff thing.

Idea: Have some of the people around here make Warblade-heavy builds to use as examples. Maybe show how they'll play at differing level marks (5, 10, 15, 20) to show the consistency of the class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Zawisza View Post
    How is Balance a key skill for Iron Heart and Stone Dragon? The term "balance check" isn't included in any of their maneuver/stance descriptions.
    Well, each discipline has a "key skill" listed in a table. You're right, though, that it doesn't actually matter much for these two disciplines. (Mostly, it becomes a class skill if you take Martial Study for an Iron Heart or Stone Dragon maneuver. Which is irrelevant to the Warblade.)

I can't see why a Warblade would ever take more than 5 ranks of Balance.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Well, each discipline has a "key skill" listed in a table. You're right, though, that it doesn't actually matter much for these two disciplines. (Mostly, it becomes a class skill if you take Martial Study for an Iron Heart or Stone Dragon maneuver. Which is irrelevant to the Warblade.)

I can't see why a Warblade would ever take more than 5 ranks of Balance.
    Bloodstorm Blade. That's a good reason to take at least 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34

NecromancerGuy

Turquoise hurts my eyes less than Cyan. Thank you.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

You're actually right about the Balance thing. I'm changing it now, adding Martial Lore, boosting Intimidate, and adding some sample stat arrays for different point-buys.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

In terms of feats and feat selections, about the only comments I could make are that the Moment Of X maneuvers from the Diamond Mind school tend to become less impressive as the levels go on
    How so? Your save improves only by +1 every 2 or 3 lvs (not factoring save boosting gear/abilities), but your concentration check gets +1 every lv, and it is all too easy to boost skill checks. At higher lvs, you may as well just say "I make my save".

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd tend to agree with Runestar. In my experience, the Moment of X maneuvers never stop losing their effectiveness, especially with the added bonus that you don't fail of a natural 1.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

It depends entire on whether or not your DM starts throwing no save spells at you or not.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

What do you mean 'flanking doesn't happen all that often'?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's a quotation from somebody is likely a Warblade:

"I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world, and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen. The end has come." - Hakumen, BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Otherwise, I look forward to more pearls of wisdom as the handbook develops.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

How about these...

"A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules." Colbey Callistinson- The Renshai Chronicles

"Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave, they live forever." Buliwyf- 13th Warrior (Based on Eaters of the Dead by Micheal Crighton IIRC)

Keeping an eye on the handbook because Warblades are almost as awesome as Crusaders.
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Thinking of some nifty warblade combos off the top of my head:

Time Stands Still/Avalanche of Blades + Stormguard Warrior = hitting touch AC is easier than most, more often than not; so you're building up a very nice damage bonus for next turn.

Time Stands Still + Island In Time + Sudden Recovery + Time Stands Still = An elf only combo, requiring the Eternal Blade PrC and the Sudden Recovery feat; however you are making four full attack actions in one turn. TWF for lulz; if you can add Girallion Windmill Flesh Rend or Dancing Mongoose, do it

Strike of Perfect Clarity + Finishing Move = SoPC is considered one of the weaker 9th level maneuvers, due to a lack of rider effects and relying on flat damage to disable an opponent; however don't forget that 100 damage forces a SoD, and 2d6+120 damage will knock down enough enemies that you should be able to set up extra damage with Finishing Move. Crude, but a nice one-two punch. Recover next turn to set it up again.

White Raven Tactics + Anything = Give yourself another turn. RAW legal, but expect a DMG to the head if you abuse the action economy too much.

Boots of Spring & Striding/Haste + Leaping Dragon + Coiled Spring + Feral Death Blow = Bonuses to speed and Jump checks, why speed? Because every 10ft past 30 nets you a +4 to jump checks, that's why.
    EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Removed Absolute Steel because it added an enhancement bonus to speed instead of a flat bonus, thus freeing up the required lv 20 ability, removing some maneuver prereqs and making this a lot easier to accomplish. Feral Death Blow is a full-round action, so you activate Coiled Spring the previous turn, getting the +30ft to speed without actually moving, then your next turn you initiate with the +12 to Jump (and +2 to AC)
    Last edited by boj0; 2010-11-26 at 09:27 PM. Reason: fixing errors
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I am not sure on coiled spring, but both Absolute Steel and Leaping Dragon are stances, so this is a capstone (for lack of a better word) combo, since you would need the double stance ability to do it, besides it is quite easy to archive massive jump bonus
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I am not sure on coiled spring, but both Absolute Steel and Leaping Dragon are stances, so this is a capstone (for lack of a better word) combo, since you would need the double stance ability to do it, besides it is quite easy to archive massive jump bonus
    Yes, this is a capstone ability; but it's still fun

I'm not going for the end-all be-all jumplomancer this is just a simple way for the warblade to get these bonuses without gear or outside help. The part of coiled spring is just nice because you get the bonus to speed and can attack after making a double move (and I'm fairly sure you can use FDL for the attack).
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Does it says attack action? because it is different than making a standard action attack (see spring attacks and manoeuvres)
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Princes of the Sword: A Warblade's Handbook [Under Construction]

Quote Originally Posted by Elvenblade View Post
    Sapphire Nightmare Blade - This one is good, but quickly loses steam. If you're playing in a low-level game, it might be a good choice; otherwise, skip it.
    This manoeuvre actually deserves some more credit for a single detail you didn't mention: Unlike the other <gem> Nightmare Blade manoeuvres, this one makes the target flatfooted. I'm playing a rogue1/warblade5/factotum5, he uses SNB for great effect to set up sneak attacks (and with the Craven feat and some inspiration points my sneak attacks are pretty nasty). A bit specific, but worth mentioning.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Tip: Take a look at the skill tricks from Complete Scoundrel. There are a few of them that I absolutely love. If you've got a lot of skill points, pay 2 points for each of these abilities and you can:

Twisted Charge:
    Prerequisite: Balance 5 ranks, Tumble 5 ranks
    Make one direction change during a charge

Nimble Charge:
    Prerequisite: Balance 5 ranks
    Run or charge across difficult surface without Balance check

Extreme Leap:
    Prerequisite: Jump 5 ranks
    Horizontal jump of at least 10 feet allows 10 extra feet of movement that round

I really love the last one. Shock Trooper + Leap Attack, and then use this and take a five-foot step to prevent a full attack from enemies, and then charge again? Awesome.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Stone Dragon, in general, doesn't have a whole lot going for it in general, however Shards of Granite, the discipline feat, is actually really, really nice.

Ever had a problem with a critter that had DR 15/Magic *AND* Bludgeoning or DR /Good AND Cold Iron, and you were wielding a two-handed sword? Yea, this solves that problem. Easily. It doesn't matter what kind of DR you have, it is easily and swiftly ignored.

Even better, because you really aren't loosing anything you don't want to loose to do it anyways. Okay, you take a -5 on your attack rolls for Stone Power to do so. Fine. But you also get 10 temp hit points per turn, which *refresh* on the following round when you make an attack, which basically means you ignore the first 10 damage you receive every round. Combine this with DR, and you're pretty much ignoring anything that isn't throwing around a handful of dice.

Yanno... in addition to ignoring their DR.

If you are a two-weapon fighting dervish who has lots of hits, this needs to be on your character sheet, because otherwise DR saps the damage from every single attack you land. Even if you are a battlefield control spiked chain wielding tripper, your lower average damage demands that you at least make sure your opponent eats every last point of it.

Also, Clarion Call (feat) + At least one precision-based damage dealer = very unhappy BBEG. Flat D20 Intimidate check to declare opponent Flanked. This means rogues get sneak attacks. Yes, even if the BBEG has Improved Uncanny Dodge. They are granted the Status Effect: flanked, regardless of anyone else's ability to flank.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2010-11-24 at 07:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

19. - Top - End - #49

Planetar

Default Re: Princes of the Sword: A Warblade's Handbook [Under Construction]

Tiger Claw:

Sudden Leap - Niice. This is an excellent mobility enhancer, and provides benefits well after most 1st-level maneuvers' have expired.
    Wolf Fang Strike - Sounds good to me. Why not?
    Something worth noting: Sudden Leap has a pre-req of 1 Tiger Claw maneuver, as do all the other Tiger Claw level 1 entries except Wolf Fang Strike.

This means that you HAVE to take Wolf Fang Strike if you want to take Tiger Claw maneuvers or stances from level 1 - you don't have any choice!
    Last edited by Saph; 2010-11-24 at 07:28 PM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

This means that you HAVE to take Wolf Fang Strike if you want to take Tiger Claw maneuvers or stances from level 1 - you don't have any choice!
    Or you could wait till 3rd lv, take one of the 2nd lv tiger claw strikes, then swap in sudden leap at 4th lv.

Also, psionics seems like it could combo nicely, especially the ability to take 15 on concentration check with psi focus.

Some other little tricks that might be useful.

1) Steady concentration (races of stone) - take 10 on concentration checks.

2) Weapon supremacy (PHB2) - a pain to qualify for, but may be worth not having to worry about missing with your strikes ever again.
    Last edited by Runestar; 2010-11-24 at 07:45 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    Or you could wait till 3rd lv, take one of the 2nd lv tiger claw strikes, then swap in sudden leap at 4th lv.
    That was why I said "from level 1".

The approach you're suggesting can work, but I tend to find that I want to swap in a 2nd-level maneuver at level 4, not a 1st-level one like Sudden Leap.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

22. - Top - End - #52

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    That was why I said "from level 1".

The approach you're suggesting can work, but I tend to find that I want to swap in a 2nd-level maneuver at level 4, not a 1st-level one like Sudden Leap.
    I agree in principle, but not specific. Sudden Leap is darned near vital for a Leap Attacking Warblade, IMO.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    I agree in principle, but not specific. Sudden Leap is darned near vital for a Leap Attacking Warblade, IMO.
    Not if your DM allows WRT on self...

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

To the guys arguing about Swift Actions, yes, you can boost and counter in the same turn, there's a Diamond Mind Stance for that (level 8, though) I think it's called Stance of Alacrity, that should get a mention somewhere.
    Also, keep up the good work, I'd really like to see this handbook done :D
    Yes, I know Wizards can do it better, everyone knows it, they have the name of the goddamn company

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll definitely keep it in mind when writing up the next few sections, and I've adjusted Sapphire Nightmare Blade.

While I've quite a bit of experience with warblades, there is one thing I was never quite sure about - do stances count as maneuvers when it comes to prereqs? My group just settled on houseruling it, but RAW I'm not certain.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2010-11-24 at 11:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll definitely keep it in mind when writing up the next few sections, and I've adjusted Sapphire Nightmare Blade.

While I've quite a bit of experience with warblades, there is one thing I was never quite sure about - do stances count as maneuvers when it comes to prereqs? My group just settled on houseruling it, but RAW I'm not certain.
    IIRC, yes, by RAW.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Found this.

Warblade's handbook

Not really complete, but may some interesting information you can consider or adapt.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Phew. That's what we ruled at our table.
    By the way, added Core races. But don't worry; I'll put all the other races in their own spoiler. I'm also thinking about only putting in black options or higher in the rest of the races section, though, seeing as there are just so many.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Elfin; 2010-11-25 at 12:32 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

That's probably not a bad idea. Though you might want to include some of the poorer race choices if they seem like they might be a trap.

MrRigger

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

While I'm here, just another idea to bounce around: I've seen lots of people around here looking for help building warblades, so what if, at the end, I provided a few 'character packages', something akin to an expanded version of the starting packages offered in PHBII? I could provide maneuver/stance progressions, feat choices, a handful of potential races, etc, for a few builds - say, a charger, a TWFer, a tripper, something of that nature.

Anyway: how does such a thing sound?