New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default [PF] Half-Races options questions

so my DM was telling me that a half-elf can choose feats that are human or elf only. I haven't seen this in writing but it sounds reasonable. Assuming this is the true, can a half-orc take human and orc only feats as well?

seems to me there are some really great orc feats in the new advanced races guide book. I would love to use the feat that gives temp hp = to your con mod for every melee kill, and the feat that gives your summons ferocity.

assuming the feat thing is true, is this also true for class archetypes? the Con based witch that the orcs get would be pretty awesome for a half-orc who can bolster Con.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: [PF] Half-Races options questions

According to this: Half-elves are Humanoid creatures with both the human and the elf subtypes.

Same applies to Half-Orcs: Half-orcs are Humanoid creatures with both the human and orc subtypes.

Same goes for archetypes and prestige classes.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    According to this: Half-elves are Humanoid creatures with both the human and the elf subtypes.

Same applies to Half-Orcs: Half-orcs are Humanoid creatures with both the human and orc subtypes.

^ This.

Although I haven't seen it written anywhere, it almost seems like most of the Human-Only, Elf-Only, and Orc-Only stuff was written with the intent that it wouldn't apply to the Half-Races.

Each of the 'Main 7' races got 4 Race-Specific archetypes each (and/or Race-Specific Bloodline/Order/whatever). With all of the other races getting 1-to-3 Race-Archetypes.
    This means that Humans get access to 4, Elves get 4, and Orcs get 2. While Half-Elves get _12_ (4 Human, 4 Elf, 4 Half-Elf), and Half-Orcs get _10_ (4 Human, 2 Orc, 4 Half-Orc).

It seems like (once again) Paizo was asleep at the wheel.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

agreed grarrrg, which is why I was in disbelief, and wanted to fact check it before I make my DM bleed.

and thank you for the links Fenyr.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

They cannot. Their half-blood racial trait means that they count as both for the effects of special abilities, spells, feats, or whatever, but doesn't necesarily make them qualify. The developers have also stated the intent was race-specific: so half-elves can't take human or elf only feats, and the same goes for half orcs and human/orc only feats.

That's why ARG had a few feats where the requirement said "Half-orc or Orc."

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post

Subtype doesn't mean you qualify. Drow have the elf subtype but cannot take elf only feats, for example. When a race is listed as a prerequisite, it means you must be that race - not have that subtype.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    The developers have also stated the intent was race-specific: so half-elves can't take human or elf only feats, and the same goes for half orcs and human/orc only feats.
    Source and/or link please?

Subtype doesn't mean you qualify. Drow have the elf subtype but cannot take elf only feats, for example. When a race is listed as a prerequisite, it means you must be that race - not have that subtype.
    But I'm sure you can understand the confusion potential.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Makes a lot of sense and I can accept it, but RAW please?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.