New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Sword: A Warblade's Handbook [Under Construction]

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Possibly swap one of those for Leading the Attack or Wolf Fang Strike if you need to fill pre-reqs.
    For White Raven pre-req filling, I find Leading the Charge is usually best. It's one of the better 1st-level stances, anyway, and sets you up perfectly to pick up WRT.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah - it's difficult though, because there are so many good 2nd-level maneuvers. Mountain Hammer, Emerald Razor, Rabid Wolf Strike, Battle Leader's Charge, Wall of Blades . . . you want all of them, really.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Leaping Dragon Stance adds a 10ft(!!) enhancement bonus to jumps. Something which nothing else in the game does to my knowledge. This means that it adds 10 ft to HIGH JUMPS as well. Add in some Jump optimization and you're more or less flying at low altitudes.

It's probably an error, since the summary text on the list of maneuvers states it's a +10 to jump checks. But the actual text trumps it.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

2) even if you hit, it depends on your opponent hitting you the round afterwards.
    I guess it requires that your DM not be a prick about it. Yes, dr20 would be useful against that tarrasque or great wyrm dragon, provided he attacks you with his melee attacks instead of moving off to attack someone else, or just blasting everyone with his breath weapon.

I always thought that generating a huge amount of temp hp might be more fair (esp vs monsters using a single attack which deals huge amounts of damage, or spells).
    Last edited by Runestar; 2010-12-22 at 08:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Bugbear in the Playground

Perhaps links to the Warblade and maneuvers could be put in the original post, and added as an additional reason to play a Warblade (i.e. it's free, it's legal, and the cards can streamline play)?
    Awesome avatar by starwoof

6. - Top - End - #336

Nitpick: Blindfold of True Darkness actually gives you Blindsight, not Blindsense. Even better, although the 30' limit on how far you can see actually can be a nasty disadvantage.

Also, there's one Level 7 stance that you should put in for completeness (Prey on the Weak, in Tiger Claw). Weird, yeah.

You might put in a note on Wolf Pack Tactics that it just might be worth spending your Level 18 feat to learn. (Since you obviously learned Stance of Alacrity with your built-in stance?)

I think all the colors are reasonable judgments. Maybe upgrade Roots of the Mountain to black or downgrade Swarm Tactics to black.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2010-12-23 at 12:15 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Stone Dragon and Tiger Claw are missing a 3rd level stance:

Crushing Weight of the Mountain - This is one of the few Stone Dragon stances that can be used in mid-air and doesn't end if you move more than 5'. It's also one of the easier ways to pick up Constrict damage (2d6 + 1.5xStr bonus) without resorting to wild shape or polymorph shenanigans. However, unless your build is specifically designed around grappling (Black or Blue?), it's pretty useless (Red). If you do have a grappling build, then this is pure Gold.

Wolverine Stance - Negates the -4 penalty for attacking with an unarmed strike/natural weapon/light weapon in a grapple. Also, if you're opponent is larger than you, you get a +4 damage bonus. However, you'll get better damage with Crushing Weight of the Mountain (3.5 avg + 1.5xStr bonus), and that works regardless of your opponent's size. (Red)

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Wolf Pack Tactics doesn't seem worth it. You must be in the stance, hit your foe more than once, have more than one attack (or superior reach), and you're still limited to your normal speed in that round. (Is that a single move or a double move?)

I'd rather be in Immortal Fortitude (via Eternal Blade, heroics, or a Crusader dip) or Stance of Alacrity if I rely on L8 stances. I'm partial to Hearing the Air if I have no other means of Blindsight.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

I have always been intrigued by wolf pack tactics, to be honest, because I can't seem to find a viable use for it. What's the benefit of being to move after you hit?

10. - Top - End - #340

I can see it being situationally useful to move around while full attacking and not provoking any AoOs. But yeah, there are other stances I'd rather be in most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    I'm partial to Hearing the Air if I have no other means of Blindsight.
    Hearing the Air is only Blindsense.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Hearing the Air is only Blindsense.
    Which is still better than nothing, you've got to admit (though its fair to point the difference out.)

And I agree that I've never found a really practical consistant application for Wolf Pack Tactics. It's clearly intended for TWFs to be able to dart around the battlefield in between swings in a full attack, so its a lot like Great/Cleave in that respect. Except there simply aren't many circumstances where it works...it is just too narrow for your 8th level stance. I'd rather have Supreme Blade Parry since at least the DR is always useful (it may have a huge impact, but it never hurts).

I think you may as well list all the level 8 stances, as they are the most likely to be grabbed with Martial Stance. There are some terrific stances a Warblade would enjoy that he doesn't have "normal" access to.

I'd knock Pearl of Black Doubt down to Purple. If you're playing the tank then I'm not sure why you're a Warblade and not a Crusader. And there won't be many instances where it'll grant more than a conditional +2 bonus to AC...which is pretty sad when you can have extra damage for you and your allies, or a conditional +2 that is much easier to activate plus letting you retain a +30' in medium/heavy armor.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for the lack of updates in the last few days; Christmas and stuff of that nature. I'll get things back on track ASAP.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Updates:
    -Links to warblade and maneuver cards have been added.
    -Prey on the Weak has been added.
    -Missing 3rd level stances have been added.
    -Wolf Pack Tactics has been demoted and given a new description.

-PHB2 feats to come later today.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elfin View Post
    Feats: Mastering the Sword
    Martial Study – Like stances, you can never have enough maneuvers. Then again, you can, to a limited degree, buy maneuvers with the appropriate items (the Crown of White Ravens and its ilk). Nonetheless, as I mentioned above, getting Crusader’s Strike can boost your early survival capacity (and once it’s outlived its usefulness, it can just be traded away).
    Actually, you can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martial Study
    A maneuver learned through this feat cannot be exchanged for a different maneuver if you are a crusader, swordsage, or warblade. Once you choose a maneuver with this feat, you cannot change it
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks to Private-Prinny, we now have an image and a quotation to start things off.
    Sorry for the delay on the PHBII feats; they'll be up soon, I promise.

And thanks for the reminder, Mattos - that came up earlier, but I forgot to change it.

17. - Top - End - #347

Glad you liked the image.

As an aside, I have a small nitpick. 18, 16, 18, 16, 12, 8 is a 56 point buy, not 60. You still have 4 points to spend for the sample stat array.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

I figured that I better try World of Warcraft sooner or later, so I've downloaded the trial version [snip]
    You now know what's to blame for the lack of updates.

Well, in part. I was intending to write out my swordsage handbook 'behind the scenes', and unveil it with a great flourish - but I don't want this handbook to suffer, so I decided against it.
    And anyway, I like the way it's been going here; the steady updates allow everyone to weigh in and offer criticism/advice.

So, this one is back on the rails. The other one will drip.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2010-12-31 at 04:51 AM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

At long last, PHBII feats are up.

20. - Top - End - #350

Btw, if you do the math on Monkey Grip, it actually reduces the average damage of most builds (those that don't already use ridiculously big weapons). It should unquestionably be Red, not Purple.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Btw, if you do the math on Monkey Grip, it actually reduces the average damage of most builds (those that don't already use ridiculously big weapons). It should unquestionably be Red, not Purple.
    Care to elaborate please? shouldn't it at least increase the damage by 1 (IIRC the average damage of a bigger weapons is 1 point bigger). Or the penalty to attacks matters that much?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #352

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Care to elaborate please? shouldn't it at least increase the damage by 1 (IIRC the average damage of a bigger weapons is 1 point bigger). Or the penalty to attacks matters that much?
    Yes, the penalty to attacks outweighs the increase in damage.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

It's been downgraded.
    Next on the table is CAdv.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Weapon Supremacy – You won’t qualify for this until 20th level, which means you won’t be able to take it until 21st. But if a friendly caster can spare a heroics spell, this is an brilliant candidate – and if you qualify, you should take it at 21st without a thought.
    Or you could take a level of Fighter at level 20, but then miss out on Stance Mastery until level 21.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

True, but Stance Mastery is strictly better than Weapon Supremacy.

26. - Top - End - #356

Archery feats (Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Many Shot, Shot on the Run, Mounted Archery) - Warblades just aren't suited for archery. However, Eternal Blades have the potential to excel at it.
    I feel like you should give Point Blank Shot a special mention, since it's a prerequisite to the two-level dip that is the Bloodstorm Blade.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Private-Prinny View Post
    I feel like you should give Point Blank Shot a special mention, since it's a prerequisite to the two-level dip that is the Bloodstorm Blade.
    Four level dip would be better, allowing ranged melee full attacks.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

True, but Stance Mastery is strictly better than Weapon Supremacy.
    Oh, I dunno. Being able to take 10 on attack roll means possibly never missing with your strikes ever (assuming their AC is no more than 10 points above your AC).

But yeah, you have heroics, though that requires that you have taken greater weapon focus/spec beforehand.

I will point out that melee evasion is way weaker than wall of blades, because it just uses your bab, and thus ignores str, weapon enhancements, buffs and feats. I suppose it could be useful in the hands of a creature with obscene bab for its cr and crap touch AC, like say, a dragon.
    Last edited by Runestar; 2010-12-31 at 10:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, getting Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and Melee Weapon Mastery on a warblade really can be a solid choice.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

CAdv is up...a rather disappointing lot of feats, really.
    I think I'll take a break from feats now, but I'm torn on what to tackle next: non-core races that make good warblades, or combat styles and weapon choices. What do you think?