New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Sword: A Warblade's Handbook [Under Construction]

A Weapon: Kusari-gama from the DMG could be good fun for a TWF warblade. Light, one-handed reach weapons, and 1d6 damage. Works like a Spiked Chain, in that you can also hit people who are adjacent, and can make trip attacks with them.

Not sure what colour it would be, as it requires EWP, but that's not too bad for a Warblade, since they can simply swap that if they don't like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

More sword rack stuff.

Longsword: a solid choice, the longsword is also a symbolic weapon.

Scimitar: not bad, but the d6 isn't going to be worth the increased threat range. I've done the math, and unless you have an outrageous strength modifier(for damage) or an abysmal hit chance(where you'll pretty much only be able to hit on a critical threat), the extra damage roll for critting isn't worth it. Much better with the keen property.

Battleaxe: as longsword, but main difference is crit multiplier rather than threat range.

Warhammer: as battleaxe, but different damage type.

Heavy pick: as scimitar, with increased multiplier rather than threat range. Better with the keen property, but not as good as the scimitar because it doesn't work as well with crit-fishers.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-05 at 03:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

I've got one for the Sword Rack

Minotaur Greathammer: This beast of a weapon weighs 30 pounds and will take an Exotic Weapon Proficiency, but it deals 1d12 Damage at medium size, and has a Crit range of 19-20/x4. That is absolutely ridiculous. Only problem is, there's no listed price, so you'll have to work out with a DM as to figure out what to pay for it

also, it should be noted in the templates section that Half-dragon is a trap. they look all awesome and wicked, but their breath weapon, which doesn't level with you and thus stops being useful after bout level 8, pushes the LA up to +3. Unless you can talk the DM into lowering the LA, or trading in that breath weapon for that reduction, you're essentially cheating yourself out of a level. however, get it down to a +2 LA and it becomes pretty well worth it
    Last edited by Halae; 2011-02-04 at 10:14 PM.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    I've got one for the Sword Rack

Minotaur Greathammer: This beast of a weapon weighs 30 pounds and will take an Exotic Weapon Proficiency, but it deals 1d12 Damage at medium size, and has a Crit range of 19-20/x4. That is absolutely ridiculous. Only problem is, there's no listed price, so you'll have to work out with a DM as to figure out what to pay for it
    The MM4 version seems to be in error, since I cross-checked with elder evils, and the large greathammer there deals 3d6/x4 (no bigger threat range). So the medium version would simple deal 1d12/x4, essentially a scythe which deals damage of 1 category higher or the bastard sword version of the longsword.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    The MM4 version seems to be in error, since I cross-checked with elder evils, and the large greathammer there deals 3d6/x4 (no bigger threat range). So the medium version would simple deal 1d12/x4, essentially a scythe which deals damage of 1 category higher or the bastard sword version of the longsword.
    yeah, but there's no errata mentioning the Minotaur Greathammer from MM4, and that leads me to believe they are entirely separate weapons
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    yeah, but there's no errata mentioning the Minotaur Greathammer from MM4, and that leads me to believe they are entirely separate weapons
    The greathorn minotaur statblock also does not have the 19-20 threat range, so this leads me to believe it is the weapon entry which is in error. It makes no sense for them to be separate weapons.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Couple more for the weapons rack, both requiring exotic weapon proficiencies.

Longaxe, from Complete Adventurer. Greataxe is good.Greataxe with the option of being a reach weapon is better.

Fullblade, from.... I forget. Arms & Armor, I think. A 2d8 weapon? That technically counts as a weapon size larger? Well hello there. If you REALLY wanna get fancy, burn another feat to make it Mercurial for a whopping 2d8 19-20 x4 beast of a blade.

Hellspear, from Tyrants of the Nine Hells. True, it's a large weapon, so you'll need a goliath or larger to use it, but it's a 2d6 reach weapon with the ability to still attack adjacent enemies. Now that's lovely.
    Last edited by Stallion; 2011-02-05 at 12:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    I don't see how you can get that much extra hp. You are probably looking at an extra +2 to +4 con max, or +20-40 hp over the course of 20 lvs, unless you are also thinking of buying a tome of con and boosting it every 4 levels.

Bearing in mind that stats become progressively more expensive to buy (in my games at least), raising con from 14 to 16 requires 4 stat points, while raising from 16 to 18 requires 6. That's 10 stat points which could be allocated to str, dex and/or int.

Con is a good secondary stat, IMO, but not one I will pump at the 1st instance.

When I first played a warblade, the DM used 28 point buy, and my stats were str/dex/con/int 14, wis/cha10, with subsequent stat boosts in str. I don't think I would have been able to get con any higher without compromising my other stats.
    Well if you made con you primary and you boost it every time, gave it your best enhancement item, and boosted it with tomes and the like you would get a con about 8-10 points higher than your str (5 from tome and likely 3-5 from the difference between your initial scores). This means the bonus will be between 4-5 points higher and that times 20 levels makes 80-100 hp.

I know str is very useful my only question is whether it is the absolute best choice every time. If it isn't then it is light blue not gold.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Scimitar: not bad, but the d6 isn't going to be worth the increased threat range. I've done the math, and unless you have an outrageous strength modifier(for damage) or an abysmal hit chance(where you'll pretty much only be able to hit on a critical threat), the extra damage roll for critting isn't worth it.
    Well, there are several strikes that have higher damage which will also be multiplied on crit, and of course there's the Blood in the Water.

Also, did you make both of them Keen for the maths?

[Edit]: Critical threat is not necessarily auto-hit (only on nat 20), so higher base damage would win for abysmal hit chance.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-02-05 at 10:25 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Well, there are several strikes that have higher damage which will also be multiplied on crit
    I'm pretty sure strikes are not multiplied on a rit, oerriding te general rules for stati damage on a rit.

Edit: Dammit, I'm unable to type letters between x and b, as well as one between g and k.
    Last edited by Boci; 2011-02-05 at 10:30 AM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    I'm pretty sure strikes are not multiplied on a crit, overriding the general rules for static damage on a crit.
    I blame that on poor editing, probably because at one point all strikes added XdY to damage. Ruby Nightmare Blade, for example, goes to describe how it's damage interacts with critical hits.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-02-05 at 10:36 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there are several strikes that have higher damage which will also be multiplied on crit, and of course there's the Blood in the Water.
    Okay, you got me there.
    Also, did you make both of them Keen for the maths?
    No, keen is an enchantment, this is without enchantments.
    [Edit]: Critical threat is not necessarily auto-hit (only on nat 20), so higher base damage would win for abysmal hit chance.
    I know that, their hit chance isn't that abysmal. Although they wouldn't be able to confirm the crit.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-05 at 12:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    I'd like to add the Eneko (Eberron: Secrets of Sarlona) under the LA +1 races.
    +2 to Str and Con, -2 to Dex and Cha.
    Giant Type, Medium Size, Powerful Build, and Longbow proficiency as a bonus feat. They also have spell-like abilities and racial resistance to poison. It's like Half-Giant, but better.
    Agreed. Eneko are probably THE best Powerfully Built race in the game.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

With the stuff about third level stances, they must have meant to get the second stance at 5th level, cause the sample warblade in ToB is 5th level, and he has a 1st level stance and a 3rd level stance.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

No, keen is an enchantment, this is without enchantments.
    Keen, Imp. Critical, that's what you'll get if you're going for scimitar. Doubling the crit range works in favour of the weapon with larger natural crit range.

[Edit]:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Tied with goliaths, maybe.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-02-05 at 03:24 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Keen, Imp. Critical, that's what you'll get if you're going for scimitar. Doubling the crit range works in favour of the weapon with larger natural crit range.
    I added rating for if it had the keen property back in my other post for scimitar and heavy pick.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    Fullblade, from.... I forget. Arms & Armor, I think. A 2d8 weapon? That technically counts as a weapon size larger? Well hello there. If you REALLY wanna get fancy, burn another feat to make it Mercurial for a whopping 2d8 19-20 x4 beast of a blade.

Hellspear, from Tyrants of the Nine Hells. True, it's a large weapon, so you'll need a goliath or larger to use it, but it's a 2d6 reach weapon with the ability to still attack adjacent enemies. Now that's lovely.
    The fullblade uses obsolete weapon size rules from 3.0. Now it would simply be an Exotic Weapon that deals the same damage as a Large bastard sword. (Therefore a Large fullblade would deal the same damage as a Huge bastard sword)

Given the Hellspear's existence as an entry in the Orthron's abilities, alongside the non-player usable Hellfire Crossbow, I'm not entirely sure it's meant to be usable by players.

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Amen. It's just that they come from a relatively obscure source.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Amen. It's just that they come from a relatively obscure source.
    Well, so does Tashatalora, but that hasn't slowed it down.

SoS is one of the best Eberron books, in my opinion. Maybe because it tackles something the other books were rather vague with.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

More weapons for the sword rack.

Kukri: very good for crit-fishers, otherwise, there are better choices.

Dagger: if you want a light weapon, wield a kukri or a short sword. However, it is pretty cool flavorwise to beat an enemy with just a dagger, and damage bonuses from maneuvers aren't reduced, so if you really want to use it, that's fine. Even if you don't, carry one with you.

Punching dagger: no, never, it's like a regular dagger without throwing.

Short sword: decent, but not that good.

Rapier: like the scimitar, is very good with the keen property.

Valenar double scimitar: probably the best thing available for TWFing crit-fishers. But it requires EWP. However, if you're a Valenar elf, and treat it as a martial weapon, it's much better.

Double sword: no, if you're TWFing it's better to go with a crit-fisher build, and a crit-fisher weapon.

Orc double axe: same deal as the the double sword.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-05 at 10:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

If you add unarmed to the list of "weapons" be sure to add the gauntlet as the best way to enchant your fist because as per page 21 of the 3.5 FAQ you deal improved unarmed attack damage with your guantlet (as per superior unarmed strike or the like). While a battlefist is better guantlets are the next best thing if battlefists are not allowed.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Valenar double scimitar: probably the best thing available for TWFing crit-fishers.
    I'm a big fan, but still, unless you get the proficiency as racial (valenar elf or adaption of DMG's half-human), two kukris are often better, saving a feat in EWP. Though, VDS does allow for PA with the other end, and gives the access to the sublime Revenant Blade.

On the same vein, Double Khopesh (Sandstorm) is practically the same weapon as Valenar Double Scimitar, except that it's cheaper, lighter, allows tripping and isn't setting specific. Unless going for the aforementioned Revenant Blade, always take the Double Khopesh instead.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a big fan, but still, unless you get the proficiency as racial (valenar elf or adaption of DMG's half-human), two kukris are often better, saving a feat in EWP.
    Changed to blue.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-05 at 09:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Changed to blue.
    'Oy, 'oy, take everything I say with a large grain of salt or two.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

'Oy, 'oy, take everything I say with a large grain of salt or two.
    Of course, it's expensive, was it 125 gp? I can't check cause I lost the book. So I think it's still a blue.

EDIT: changed to gold for Valenar elves.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-05 at 11:24 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, it's expensive, was it 125 gp?
    Yeah. That'll be 725 gp for a masterwork one, and 4725gp for +1/+1 one.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

I just figured out something awesome, unlike spell slots, maneuvers readied aren't by level, so, say you have time stands still, all your maneuvers readied can be time stands still! Granted, you get less maneuvers than spell slots, but they're per encounter!

Guess you can ready each maneuver just once at any given time.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-06 at 02:40 PM.
    My Steam profile

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

I just figured out something awesome, unlike spell slots, maneuvers readied aren't by level, so, say you have time stands still, all your maneuvers readied can be time stands still!
    No.

Just, no.

You can only have one use of a maneuver at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, guess I didn't read thoroughly.

More sword rack stuff.

Kama, nunchaku, sai, and siangham: disarm and trip are useful, and you can get both of them and more damage with a flail. And you get reach with a spiked chain.

Bastard sword and dwarven waraxe: the extra point of damage isn't worth a feat.

Dire flail: if you want disarm, trip, and TWFing, just wield a regular flail and something else.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-06 at 04:17 PM.
    My Steam profile

29. - Top - End - #479
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Given the Hellspear's existence as an entry in the Orthron's abilities, alongside the non-player usable Hellfire Crossbow, I'm not entirely sure it's meant to be usable by players.

RAW, both of these could be used by players. If someone killed an orthon and then took his spear, they could indeed use it, although they would take penalties unless they had the exotic weapon proficiency and additional penalties for the size difference, unless they too were large or had powerful build. Otherwise it would function as an exotic large masterwork cold iron spear. The Hellfire Crossbow would require the player to be a baatezu, but there are level mods and racial hitdie charts for several different types of devils. True, not many parties would respond well to an incarnation of oppression in their midst, but it IS possible.

I'm sure you're right in that it wasn't meant to be useable, but unless there's errata for it, I can't see it as being impossible.
    Last edited by Stallion; 2011-02-06 at 03:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Halfling racial substitution level I made:

At 2nd level, you can choose to replace uncanny dodge with 10 ft fast movement , this means you get uncanny dodge at 6th level, and don't gain improved uncanny dodge.

More weapons for the sword rack.

Halberd: a fine weapon, it has the trip ability. Much better for battlefield controllers without improved trip.

Flail and heavy flail: like the halberd, these are much better for battlefield controllers without improved trip.

Light mace: only real use is for getting lightning mace feat, then switching to a couple of keen aptitude kukris.

Heavy mace: it's the hardest weapon to sunder, and it's damage is fine, but it has a worse crit than the martial weapons.

Morningstar: it's a cheap heavy mace that's easy to sunder, the only benefit is overcoming more types of DR.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-12 at 04:32 PM.
    My Steam profile