New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Sword: A Warblade's Handbook [Under Construction]

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Dwarven warpike(ROS): this is hands down the best polearm there is, with 2d8 damage, x3 crit, and the trip ability. And it's cheaper than the greatsword!
    Incorrect!

It costs a feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Incorrect!

It costs a feat.
    Unless you're a dwarf and swap your weapon familiarity to it (as per Complete Warrior rules).
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

Falcata(PAPG): not strictly bad, but it's worse than the bastard sword.
    Um...How exactly is a Bastard Sword better? You trade 1 point of damage for a better and fairly rare crit range that's virtually non-existent and frankly quite nice (19-20/x3). The only reason I can think of wanting to use a bastard sword over a falcata is that you can wield one without a feat by two-handing it but then, why not use a greatsword? The only reason to use a bastard sword is a) if you're a katana fanatic or b) if it's a Sunsword and can wield it as a light weapon for shenanigans.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

We probably needn't list every weapon from every splat, just the good ones.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Um...How exactly is a Bastard Sword better? You trade 1 point of damage for a better and fairly rare crit range that's virtually non-existent and frankly quite nice (19-20/x3). The only reason I can think of wanting to use a bastard sword over a falcata is that you can wield one without a feat by two-handing it but then, why not use a greatsword? The only reason to use a bastard sword is a) if you're a katana fanatic or b) if it's a Sunsword and can wield it as a light weapon for shenanigans.
    Yeah, I guess I was thinking x3 crit only meant one extra damage die, when it's actually two extra because of the 19-20 threat range, I'll change it.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Incorrect!

It costs a feat.
    Well, I suppose, but it's still as good as the spiked chain.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-08 at 05:44 PM.
    My Steam profile

7. - Top - End - #517
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Why not? There's bound to be room in the post and hey, there's a finite amount of 3.5 weapons!
    Last edited by Optimator; 2011-02-08 at 05:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I suppose, but it's still as good as the spiked chain.
    Hahah.

You are funny man.

Spiked Chain is better, as you can attack things next to you without either moving or using armour spikes.
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Hahah.

You are funny man.

Spiked Chain is better, as you can attack things next to you without either moving or using armour spikes.
    Three words, WAY MORE DAMAGE!
    My Steam profile

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

I have one: Dakka!
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

But Gauntlets are cheaper and you'll often have them free with your armor, anyways. The only advantages I see to having a Spiked Gauntlet is if you want to threaten or if you want a piercing weapon available. You can enchant gauntlets as magic weapons just fine.

I'd think it'd be higher in your case, as shouldn't MHD also advance your IL?
    Gauntlets are amazing if you have imp unarmed strike, but without it your attack would provoke attacks of opportunity (gauntlets just make your fists deal lethal damage otherwise they are treated as an unarmed strike which is nice if you have superior unarmed strike as a feat).

Spiked gauntlets do not have this problem and so are better if you lack IUS.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Weapon base damage isn't a huge concern, though admittedly 2d8 is pretty decent starting point for size shenanigans.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

And especially for Warblade: Damage < Versatility.

Not to mention that many maneuvers tend to make base weapon damage pretty unimportant.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Gauntlets are amazing if you have imp unarmed strike, but without it your attack would provoke attacks of opportunity (gauntlets just make your fists deal lethal damage otherwise they are treated as an unarmed strike which is nice if you have superior unarmed strike as a feat).

Spiked gauntlets do not have this problem and so are better if you lack IUS.
    Why do I care if all I'm using them for is to put Eager, Warning and Parrying on one? I don't need them to hit things, I need them to buff me so I can fill my primary weapon's enchantment bonus with cool ****. If I'm a barbarian, throw in Brash and Furious.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

I'm only listing melee weapons.

EDIT: finished my other post, go check it out!
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-08 at 07:48 PM.
    My Steam profile

16. - Top - End - #526
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

And your homebrew-centaur fighter/warblade hugely over WBL mixing 3.0 and 3.5 feats is perhaps less than representative of warblades in general.
    I might have failed my Decipher Script check here, but what does WBL stand for?
    ~Othar wanted me to know so that I would tell men that Othar the Storm-Rider had died well, and I had told him to keep a tight hold of his sword so that Othar the Storm-Rider would go to the feast hall in Valhalla where all warriors who die bravely go after death. These days, although I am old and feeble, I always wear a sword, so that when death comes I will go to that far hall where men like Othar wait for me. I look forward to meeting them.~

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Uhtred View Post
    I might have failed my Decipher Script check here, but what does WBL stand for?
    Wealth By Level
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #528
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Ah yes. Then I agree, our party is heavily overly WBL. Although aren't warblades supposed to be, like, the rockstars of martial classes?
    ~Othar wanted me to know so that I would tell men that Othar the Storm-Rider had died well, and I had told him to keep a tight hold of his sword so that Othar the Storm-Rider would go to the feast hall in Valhalla where all warriors who die bravely go after death. These days, although I am old and feeble, I always wear a sword, so that when death comes I will go to that far hall where men like Othar wait for me. I look forward to meeting them.~

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

... What? Is no one complaining about the stuff I added when I edited my sword rack post?
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-08 at 09:03 PM.
    My Steam profile

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Why do I care if all I'm using them for is to put Eager, Warning and Parrying on one? I don't need them to hit things, I need them to buff me so I can fill my primary weapon's enchantment bonus with cool ****. If I'm a barbarian, throw in Brash and Furious.
    Well if you just want them for weapon enchantments why do we care about the few GP difference between gauntlets and spiked gauntlets when normal gauntlets do have deficiencies as a secondary weapon compared to spike? Spiked gauntlets are better in every way unless you put resources into unarmed attacks in which case it is most likely your primary weapon.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Well if you just want them for weapon enchantments why do we care about the few GP difference between gauntlets and spiked gauntlets when normal gauntlets do have deficiencies as a secondary weapon compared to spike? Spiked gauntlets are better in every way unless you put resources into unarmed attacks in which case it is most likely your primary weapon.
    Actually, the cestus is better, as it has a better threat range and can deal bludgeoning or piercing damage(and therefore can overcome more types of DR), though you take a penalty when attacking with a weapon that you hold in that hand.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-08 at 11:08 PM.
    My Steam profile

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Actually, the cestus is better, as it has a better threat range and can deal bludgeoning or piercing damage(and therefore can overcome more types of DR), though you take a penalty when attacking with a weapon that you hold in that hand.
    Why would you pick something that gives you a penalty when it is a weapon you hope to never actually use. The differences are so minor that any penalty to your actual weapon is not worth it.
    Last edited by MeeposFire; 2011-02-09 at 03:00 AM.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Uhtred View Post
    Ah yes. Then I agree, our party is heavily overly WBL. Although aren't warblades supposed to be, like, the rockstars of martial classes?
    What, break their instruments and die of overdose?
    ... What? Is no one complaining about the stuff I added when I edited my sword rack post?
    Out of sight, out of mind, but since you insist…
    Bayonet(PAPG): NO, you're not gonna be using a crossbow!
    Crossbow and bow bayonets are from Complete Scoundrel. Warblade probably won't be messing with crossbows, but the bow one (punching dagger, mechanically) can be handy for archer warblade mixing it up. Elvencraft Bow (RotW) or one of the Swordbows (MIC) would serve you better, though.
    Sword cane(PAPG): you're supposed to keep your weapon visible, not pretend to be an old man!
    Cityscape web enhancement. It's a rapier, so if you like them, this is how you carry one around in stylish if badly clichéd manner.
    Bardiche, Bec de Corbin, Glaive-guisarme(PAPG): these are all decent, the Bardiche is good if you face monsters who use sunder,the Bec de Corbin is good if you use sunder, and the Glaive-guisarme is good against mounted opponents.
    Good to see PAPG clinging to the time-honoured tradition of D&D.
    Bill(PAPG): less damage than most polearms, but it gives a +1 AC when fighting defensively or using total defense, is useful against mounted opponents, and has the disarm ability.
    Largely useless. Purple at best.
    Lucerne hammer(PAPG): now this? This is where it's at! More damage than the average polearm, brace, and a bonus to sunder medium and heavy armor!
    Of course, in 3.5, armour can't be sundered.
    Khopesh(PAPG): eh, typically not worth it, if you want trip, wield a flail.
    Sandstorm. Exotic scimitar with tripping, meh. The hilarious Double Khopesh is decent for crit-fishers who want versatility to sometimes TWF, sometimes THW, and comes with tripping too.

Lasso(PAPG): same as the net, but it takes less time to get it ready for another use, plus it's way cheaper. Only problem is it's easier to escape from. Like the net, it's much better for battlefield controllers, and you shouldn't touch it otherwise.
    Given that debuff/control is the only thing you can do with a lasso, I should think it a given that that's what you'll be using it.

Elven courtblade(ROTW): um... why didn't they just put this into the falchion?
    One of the few finessable two-handers.

Gnome tortoise blade and dwarven buckler-axe(CW and ROS): if you're choosing between improved buckler defense and these, go with these, because you don't take an attack penalty.
    You don't get the AC bonus, either.
    Warmace(CW): if you have wall of blades, it's worth the feat, otherwise, don't get it.
    Useless piece of garbage, unless you for some reason need a one-handed weapon for size shenanigans.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

Crossbow and bow bayonets are from Complete Scoundrel. Warblade probably won't be messing with crossbows, but the bow one (punching dagger, mechanically) can be handy for archer warblade mixing it up. Elvencraft Bow (RotW) or one of the Swordbows (MIC) would serve you better, though.
    Yeah, Elvencraft bow is better.
    Cityscape web enhancement. It's a rapier, so if you like them, this is how you carry one around in stylish if badly clichéd manner.
    Pathfinder stats for it are worse, also, they should really make a swordstaff.
    Good to see PAPG clinging to the time-honoured tradition of D&D.
    Yep, it's basically 3.5 with a ton of house rules in an attempt to make the the game more balanced(which it did to some extent, especially for races)
    Largely useless. Purple at best.
    I think black, I'll change it.
    Of course, in 3.5, armour can't be sundered.
    Wha...?

Given that debuff/control is the only thing you can do with a lasso, I should think it a given that that's what you'll be using it.
    Yeah.

One of the few finessable two-handers.
    I'll put that in.

You don't get the AC bonus, either.
    How many maneuvers let you use your off-hand weapon? I thought so.
    Useless piece of garbage, unless you for some reason need a one-handed weapon for size shenanigans.
    Yeah, I'll change that.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-10 at 03:02 PM.
    My Steam profile

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ettin in the Playground

Greatspear(CW): if you want this, just get a greatsword with the throwing enchantment.
    If we're splitting hairs like this, just get a Ripper (PlH), which is a piercing greatsword, at least stat-wise. The difference between a Ripper and a Greatspear is that it keeps the traditional spear x3 crit and has reach. Still probably not worthwhile, since it's only doing 2.5 more damage over the longspear, except that it can be thrown. I'd list as purple, as there are a couple of neat spear-only feats out there, like Long Reach that can make for some interesting builds.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

If we're splitting hairs like this, just get a Ripper (PlH), which is a piercing greatsword, at least stat-wise. The difference between a Ripper and a Greatspear is that it keeps the traditional spear x3 crit and has reach. Still probably not worthwhile, since it's only doing 2.5 more damage over the longspear, except that it can be thrown. I'd list as purple, as there are a couple of neat spear-only feats out there, like Long Reach that can make for some interesting builds.
    Thanks for showing me that feat, I've been looking for something like that, I'll change it to purple.
    My Steam profile

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, it's basically 3.5 with a ton of house rules in an attempt to make the the game more balanced(which it did to some extent, especially for races)
    I meant D&D in general. Earlier editions were famous for having a million polearms: glaive, guisarme, guisarme-glaive, glaive-guisarme, bec du corbin, guisarme-glaive-bec du corbin etc.
    Wha...?
    You can’t sunder armor worn by another character. Thems the breaks. Stats for D&D Lucerne Hammer are in Dragon #331, I seem to recall.
    How many strikes are full attacks?
    Two or three, I think. Still, why bother with a feat for a weapon you nearly never use? Just grab a buckler and you'll be better off.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

I meant D&D in general. Earlier editions were famous for having a million polearms: glaive, guisarme, guisarme-glaive, glaive-guisarme, bec du corbin, guisarme-glaive-bec du corbin etc.
    You can’t sunder armor worn by another character. Thems the breaks. Stats for D&D Lucerne Hammer are in Dragon #331, I seem to recall.
    That... doesn't make sense.
    Two or three, I think. Still, why bother with a feat for a weapon you nearly never use? Just grab a buckler and you'll be better off.
    Yeah, there are dancing mongoose, raging mongoose, time stands still, wolf fang strike, and girallon windmill flesh rip. However, if your disciplines are tiger claw and diamond mind(really cool fluff), than it's great. But I'll change it anyway.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-09 at 07:11 PM.
    My Steam profile

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ettin in the Playground

Warmace(CW): not worth both a feat and an AC penalty.
    I really don't get this weapon. I really don't. It's lighter than both the greataxe and the maul, and yet it has this stupid "It's so heavy that you take an AC penalty when wielding it!" clause. If anything, as a solid-shafted metal weapon, it should be more defensible to use than the greataxe (which likely only has a metal bit).

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

30. - Top - End - #540
    Bugbear in the Playground

That... doesn't make sense.
    Well, I don't think it's supposed to make sense. I think it's supposed to be a balance rule. Does it make sense logically? Maybe not. Neither does missing a shot with an arrow against someone in a crowd and not hitting bystanders. Probably meant to speed play and simplify things a bit.

Anyway, I have a question on Wolverine Stance. Normally in a grapple, to make an attack you have to succeed on an opposed grapple check, right? The stance doesn't negate that or anything, does it? Looks like it just lets you use one-handed weapons as opposed to light weapons only. Am I reading this right?
    Last edited by Optimator; 2011-02-09 at 10:02 PM.