New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Sword: A Warblade's Handbook [Under Construction]

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Another nitpick with some of the MIC items, specifically long-range communications...

Aspect Mirror (4000 GP, Complete Scoundrel) is far superior to the Linked armor property, Farspeaking Amulets, Sending Stones, Rings of Communication, etc., since it has unlimited use and unlimited range (on the same plane). Contact Medallion is kinda nice if you suddenly need to contact someone who doesn't already have a communication device, but would be useless if everyone in the party already has an Aspect Mirror.
    I wouldn't say it's far superior to Sending Stones or Rings of Communication, since those are both cheaper than Aspect Mirrors, and superior to the Mirrors in some way even if they don't have unlimited use and range. (Sending Stones have a 95% chance of functioning even on different planes of existence, while AMs only work on the same plane. Rings of Communication let you communicate with your party even when they're not expecting to get a message from you, and let you communicate with all of them at once, rather than one-at-a-time like AMs.)

Overall, although AMs definitely have their uses, I'd prefer to cover communication needs with a Ring and a Stone rather than a Mirror. Unless AMs owned by NPCs are all over the place and function as a telephone network.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

DMG armors/shields up.

So, I just realized, after running out of space in a post for the first time - even if we squish all the posts together, there may not be enough room in the reserves for the size the finished handbook will eventually end up at. It's not an immediate concern, but there may eventually be a need to relocate to new premises.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2011-12-12 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Typo

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ettin in the Playground

Not seeing the appeal of Animated for a Shield Basher, since Improved Shield Bash gives you the AC bonus regardless of whether you smack somebody in the gob with it or not. If you're a dedicated Shield Basher, you actually use it for applying effects and whatnot as well, so it seems like money thrown away when you could be making it Bashing and enchanting it as a secondary weapon for knocking people on their ass and dazing them.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Not seeing the appeal of Animated for a Shield Basher, since Improved Shield Bash gives you the AC bonus regardless of whether you smack somebody in the gob with it or not. If you're a dedicated Shield Basher, you actually use it for applying effects and whatnot as well, so it seems like money thrown away when you could be making it Bashing and enchanting it as a secondary weapon for knocking people on their ass and dazing them.
    The reason for it is relatively simple. A shield takes up a hand, but an animated shield leaves that hand free for use with a two-hander
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

When the Third Eyes go up, I'll be surprised if Concentrate is anything less than gold. What Warblade won't love a constant +10 bonus to his Concentration. That and Steady Concentration guarantees that your saves are effectively 20+Character Level+3. Tunic of Steady Spellcasting being its little brother.

Also, what do you guys think about mixing in Incarnum into a Warblade through feats? I'm in a game, currently, where I'm doing this but I haven't picked up Bonus Essentia yet, got a little more than a level before that happens, so I haven't really been able to judge for myself.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Hello, i just noted a small oversigt in the magical weapons section.

Sacred Burst – If you’re critting with enough regularity to consider this enhancement, it is going to send you to 0 Cha – and thus, out of the battle – in no time. 1d4 Cha damage every time you crit makes this ability worse for you than your foe.
    Its only if you are undead that you suffer the Cha damage, and the same thing also aplies to the Sacret enchantment.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suichimo View Post
    When the Third Eyes go up, I'll be surprised if Concentrate is anything less than gold. What Warblade won't love a constant +10 bonus to his Concentration. That and Steady Concentration guarantees that your saves are effectively 20+Character Level+3. Tunic of Steady Spellcasting being its little brother.

Also, what do you guys think about mixing in Incarnum into a Warblade through feats? I'm in a game, currently, where I'm doing this but I haven't picked up Bonus Essentia yet, got a little more than a level before that happens, so I haven't really been able to judge for myself.
    Incarnum adds well to anything, especially Shape Soulmeld. Thunder Boots, Impulse Boots, Planar Ward, the list goes on and on.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Incarnate Weapon can be pretty good if you have the right alignment.

If you're TWF-ing, you can avoid the whole extra-cost-to-keep-equipment-upgraded problem very nicely with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #729

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Suichimo View Post
    The few times I've mixed the two I've splashed a little ToB into my Incarnum (Crusader, to get heavy armor proficiency to make optimal use of the Ironsoul Forgemaster!) rather than the other way around, but there are a ton of soulmelds that could help out a ToB guy.

And don't even get me started on the delicious, delicious gestalt options

10. - Top - End - #730

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Essence_of_War View Post
    The few times I've mixed the two I've splashed a little ToB into my Incarnum (Crusader, to get heavy armor proficiency to make optimal use of the Ironsoul Forgemaster!) rather than the other way around, but there are a ton of soulmelds that could help out a ToB guy.

And don't even get me started on the delicious, delicious gestalt options
    I've got Airstep Sandals and Phase Cloak. At 9th I'll be taking Bonus Essentia so I can fly at 30' and at 12th I'll be takin Open Lesser Chakra(Shoulders).

I'll be going Warblade 10/Eternal Blade 10.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Hello, i just noted a small oversigt in the magical weapons section.
    Thank you for noticing – I shall get that fixed straightaway.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

Working on the starting packages and extended example builds, I've come to the point where I'm working on the maneuver and stance progression for the charger build.

This is what I've come up with:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bolded maneuvers are those which are never traded away. Stances are in italics.

L1 Charging Minotaur, Moment of Perfect Mind, Wolf Fang Strike; Leading the Charge
    L2 Sudden Leap
    L3 Wall of Blades
    L4 Wolf Fang Strike -> Emerald Razor; Blood in the Water
    L5 White Raven Tactics
    L6 Charging Minotaur -> Iron Heart Surge
    L7 Bounding Assault
    L8 Emerald Razor -> Death from Above
    L9 Pouncing Charge
    L10 Death from Above -> Disrupting Blow; Press the Advantage
    L11 Manticore Parry
    L12 Disrupting Blow -> Iron Heart Endurance
    L13 Swooping Dragon Strike
    L14 Bounding Assault -> Avalanche of Blades
    L15 White Raven Hammer
    L16 Sudden Leap -> Diamond Nightmare Blade; Stance of Alacrity
    L17 Time Stands Still
    L18 Iron Heart Endurance -> Strike of Perfect Clarity
    L19 War Master's Charge
    L20 Manticore Parry -> Mountain Tombstone Strike

Does that look about right?

An issue I'm having is with races for the starting packages. The warblade races shortlist is basically human, shifter, warforged, raptoran, wood/snow elf, dragonborn, and water orc, with ToB listing humans and elves as the most likely candidates. Those two are probably in, especially because they're both Core (or in the case of the snow elf, SRD), but that still leaves a fair deal of possibility for the third package.

Shifter might be nice for a Tiger Claw-focused package, and raptoran for a White Raven one; the first may be too setting-specific, though. Warforged I'm a bit leery of, because they as a concept don't always mesh well with a setting, and water orcs are iffy because of obscurity and cheese factors (though regular orc or half-orc might work). Dragonborn might do well, however.

At the moment, the general concepts I have in mind for the three builds are a charger type, a simple, Weapon Focus/Spec sword and boarder, and a TWFer. Adding a battlefield control or retaliation build might be an idea, but I worry that it would step on the crusader's shoes too much.

Any thoughts on races or sample builds?

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ettin in the Playground

Warforged Bloodstorm Blade that uses a throwing returning battlefist?

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't the snow elf from Frostburn? (+2 Dex -2 cha)
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

15. - Top - End - #735
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Go with the best of both worlds; Warforged Dragonborn, reflavored as needed.
    Prestige Bard, updated for Pathfinder.

Revamped Spell Resistance system, for use with Spell Points/Psionics.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, yes, the snow elf is from Frostburn. My mind just went immediately to UA.

A Bloodstorm Blade build would be good to include, but for these I think it's best to stick with warblade 20; following in the footsteps of the PHB II, the intention is to create generic, single-classed builds to embody basic archetypes. Of course, the ones they provided were utterly lousy, but that's beside the point.

Dragonborn warforged is an interesting possibility, but the issue I can see is that it may be a bit too flavor-intense for a vanilla character. I'm not sure, though.

17. - Top - End - #737

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Elfin View Post
    Dragonborn warforged is an interesting possibility, but the issue I can see is that it may be a bit too flavor-intense for a vanilla character. I'm not sure, though.
    Well, I was really recommending it as a solid base to build a Dragonborn character from, since there aren't many races that make really good Dragonborn. Besides, there are some pretty cool ways to fluff a robot-dragon. Or not. You could just ignore the fluff of being a robot, and say the character is a great hero reincarnated in his new form by Bahamut to fight against the chromatic dragons.
    Last edited by Curious; 2011-12-23 at 12:06 AM.
    Prestige Bard, updated for Pathfinder.

Revamped Spell Resistance system, for use with Spell Points/Psionics.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curious View Post
    You could just ignore the fluff of being a robot, and say the character is a great hero reincarnated in his new form by Bahamut to fight against the chromatic dragons.
    I like that idea quite a bit. In fact, I think there's no need at all to mention that the base creature is a warforged.

Dragonborn, elf, and human it is, then. Great. And speaking of dragonborn, there's shiny new cover art to replace the old Sonic Warrior picture.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2011-12-23 at 10:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, yes, the snow elf is from Frostburn. My mind just went immediately to UA.
    Yeah, I think you must have meant Wood Elf/Arctic Elf.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

20. - Top - End - #740

Happy new year!
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

Happy new year. I am both lazy and strapped for time, but I have not abandoned this handbook – after enduring a year or so of quiet guilt in the back of my mind, there is no way I will abandon it. Updates shall come, anemic though they will perhaps be.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2012-01-03 at 08:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing. In the roles section, you mention ranged combat is subpar without homebrew diciplines, but you never say what it would be like with homebrew diciplines. Do you think that you could update that?

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it obviously depends heavily on what homebrew archery discipline you use. I've looked at a few, and my favorite is Fax's excellent Falling Star discipline; unfortunately, it's only open to crusaders and swordsages. If you could get your DM to handwave that limitation, a Falling Star-focused warblade could be pretty workable, especially if you go into EB. But if you want an archery-focused martial adept, I'd say you should still go with a standard crusarcher/Eternal Bow build. I know Person Man wrote up a bit about martial adept archers, but I can't seem to find it.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

I know Person Man wrote up a bit about martial adept archers, but I can't seem to find it.
    You sure you aren't thinking of Eldarial or Darrin? They've done work on it, too.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    You sure you aren't thinking of Eldarial or Darrin? They've done work on it, too.
    Already posted in this thread, even.

(Hmm. Apparently I left out a sample Eternal Warbow build. Lemme go fix that...)

26. - Top - End - #746

I'm not sure I agree with the sample stat arrays. In particular, the two points in Wis over Dex strike me as dubious. It depends on the build, of course, but Dex helps so much if you want to have fun with Combat Reflexes or tumble around. Wis just boosts a save you're going to fail without Moment of Perfect Mind anyway.
    Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
    I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
    To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
    Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Already posted in this thread, even.

(Hmm. Apparently I left out a sample Eternal Warbow build. Lemme go fix that...)
    Darrin, I am really incredibly sorry. This is twice now in a couple of weeks that you've had to correct me.

As for the stats, there's not a huge deal of difference between Dex 12/Wis 8 and Dex 10/Wis 10 outside of Combat Reflexes qualification - while the former could be superior, the general intent was to make the stat arrays very cardboard-y (and someone who wanted to take Combat Reflexes would know to get a 12 Dex). Especially because it would leave one with two 8s, 10/10 seemed the better generic layout...but then, you may be right. Was there anything else in the stat arrays that looked subpar to you?

28. - Top - End - #748
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I agree with Cieyrin on this. If you took the Shield slam and charge feats and so forth. Wouldn't you give that up or have wasted feats if you always tell your heavy steel shield to go animated and float around you? Or can you magically tell your shield to bash still?? O.o lol .

29. - Top - End - #749

Was there anything else in the stat arrays that looked subpar to you?
    With 32 points, the 12 Dex seems sketchy to me. Again, it depends on whether you're going for Combat Reflexes and how much you care about AC. I might go for the following instead: Str 17, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 9, Cha 8 or Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 8 or Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 8. There are lots of good options, really. I guess I'm just worried folks will read those arrays and think warblades necessarily need Con a lot more than Dex.
    Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
    I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
    To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
    Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ranger557 View Post
    I agree with Cieyrin on this. If you took the Shield slam and charge feats and so forth. Wouldn't you give that up or have wasted feats if you always tell your heavy steel shield to go animated and float around you? Or can you magically tell your shield to bash still?? O.o lol .
    There's no reason I know of that you can't bash with an animated shield.