New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Sword: A Warblade's Handbook [Under Construction]

I think you're right, Draz, about Charging Minotaur.
    But about the save DCs - both saves in the maneuvers you mention are 13+Str bonus. With an 18 or so Strength at levels 5-6, that's a DC of about 17.
    Now, looking at the Fort saves of Core, CR 5 monsters, they seem to average out at about +9 or +10 - that means they'll fail only on rolls below 6 or 7. Not such bad odds, but monster Fort saves shoot up really quickly, and within just two levels I think those DCs really are obsolete, even more so than they were before. I'd say it would be much better if those saves were based on, say, IL.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elfin View Post
    But about the save DCs - both saves in the maneuvers you mention are 13+Str bonus. With an 18 or so Strength at levels 5-6, that's a DC of about 17.
    Now, looking at the Fort saves of Core, CR 5 monsters, they seem to average out at about +9 or +10 - that means they'll fail only on rolls below 6 or 7. Not such bad odds, but monster Fort saves shoot up really quickly, and within just two levels I think those DCs really are obsolete, even more so than they were before. I'd say it would be much better if those saves were based on, say, IL.
    It's practically the same Save DCs that a Wizard of the same level has, on his highest-level spells.

And not all monsters have great Fortitude saves. Maybe these maneuvers are meant for hunting the caster-type monsters.

... screw it, I guess I'm just playing devil's advocate. I actually tend to stay away from maneuvers that offer a save at all, except for Swooping Dragon Strike (save DC = Jump check result, YIKES!).
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Insightful Strike is particularly fun once you realise it works with any weapon, including improvised weapons and unarmed strikes. "Want to see a magic trick? I'm going to make this pencil disappear."
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Insightful Strike is particularly fun once you realise it works with any weapon, including improvised weapons and unarmed strikes. "Want to see a magic trick? I'm going to make this pencil disappear."
    I think I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    I think I love you.
    Yeah. I know what you mean.
    Sometime, I really need to try that.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Fourth level maneuvers are up.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

In regards to White Raven Tactics, I found it a bit odd that Wizards would consider yourself as an ally, so I did some searching. I could not find an actual custserv ruling, just reference to one. I did however, find an Ask Wizards article from July 31, 2007. Someone asked if you could use WRT on yourself to gain a second turn after your current initiative score, and got a NO. If anyone has an updated reference where they allow it, can you please show it, otherwise, Elfin, you may want to change it to reflect that you cannot use it on yourself.

Here is the wizards link: Ask Wizards

I may be very wrong, but my 5 minute research points to this being in error.
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Remember, if you b*slap the sorcerer for screwing up the teleport (and roll a 20) you get to carry his unconscious body around until he wakes up.

I hit him a little harder than I intended too.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    I did however, find an Ask Wizards article from July 31, 2007.
    I agree with you and I know you meant no harm, but this might become a "Sage is not RAW" issue, unfortunately.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    I agree with you and I know you meant no harm, but this might become a "Sage is not RAW" issue, unfortunately.
    I had a feeling about that, once I saw the Sage bit, but with it being on wizards website, I would assume it is their ruling. It ultimately comes down to DM ruling, and I know for a fact that I would be beat with both the DMG AND DMG II if I tried to pull that stunt.
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

11. - Top - End - #191

I'm pretty sure that's the only official ruling on the WRT issue, so regardless of lack of RAW on the issue the RAI is pretty clear from this. I'm guessing most groups play it that way anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

The bard entry suggests that you do count as your own ally, though even that is awkwardly worded.

Inspire Courage (Su)
    A bard with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use song or poetics to inspire courage in his allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities.
    Whether it was intended to be a clarification or an exception...

13. - Top - End - #193

WRT is pretty stupid regardless. I hate the maneuver because optimization demands that I surround the BBEG with 5th-level dudes for maximum actions, but there's no way to explain the result that doesn't sound laughably absurd.

DM: "Daleth the Black fills the cavern with a hideous chant. Make a fortitude save."

Player1: (Rolls die.) "19!"

DM: "You feel darkness claiming you but resist its embrace." (Rolls dice.) "You take 33 damage." (Checks initiative order.) "One of Daleth's bodyguards shouts a command and his master casts another spell." (Turns to Player2.) "This time you're the target."

Player2: (Rolls die.) "7. Crap."

DM: "Black flames consume your body." (Rolls die an turns to Player1.) "The guard attacks but can't get through your armor. A second minion speaks and again Daleth invokes Shar."

Player1: "There are two more of these bodyguards, right?"

DM: "Yeah. Now roll the save."

Player1:
    Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
    I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
    To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
    Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Barbarian in the Playground

Man, if only we had an extremely clear definition of ally available in the core rules... Oh, wait, we do!
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB Glossary
    ally: A creature friendly to you. In most cases,
    references to “allies” include yourself.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Here are a couple of builds I wrote up for some friends of mine. Useful as examples of what you can do with warblade/fighter and Warblade/psychic warrior.

The drummer boy.
    Spoiler
    Show

needs 13 Str (more is better), needs 17 Dex (less if drop improved TWF),

Human Two Weapon Fighting
    Fighter 1 1/0 Power Attack Weapon Focus -Light Mace
    Fighter 2 2/1 Lightning Mace
    Fighter 3 3/1 Combat Reflexes
    Fighter 4 4/2 Weapon Specialization -Light Mace
    Warblade 1 5/3 *Emerald Razor *Wolf Fang Strike *Blood in Water *Moment of Perfect Mind *Lightning Recovery
    Warblade 2 6/4 Uncanny Dodge Improved Two-Weapon Fighting *Disarming Strike *Dancing Mongoose
    Warblade 3 7/5 *Iron Heart Surge
    Fighter 5 8/5
    Fighter 6 9/6 Melee Weapon Mastery-Bludegoning Improved Critical -Light Mace
    Warblade 4 10/7 *Pearl of Black Doubt *Flesh Ripper (lose Wolf Fang Strike)
    Warblade 5 11/8 Quickdraw (bonus feat) *Lightning Recovery
    Warblade 6 12/9 Two-Weapon Rend Improved Uncanny *Dancing Mongoose (lose one strike)
    Fighter 7 13/9
    Fighter 8 14/10 Crushing Strike

Lightning Mace
    [Style]
    (CWar p113)
    Combat Reflexes
    Two-Weapon Fighting
    Weapon Focus (light mace)
    If fighting with a Light Mace in each hand, anytime you threaten a Critical, you gain an
    additional attack at the same attack bonus.

Two-Weapon Rend
    [General, Fighter]
    Dexterity 15
    Base Attack Bonus +11
    Two-Weapon Fighting
    If you damage an opponent with each of your weapons in a given round, you do extra damage equal to
    1d6 + 1 ½ Strength modifier. With regards to Damage Reduction, use the off-hand weapon
    A given creature may only take this rending damage once per round.

Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
    Dexterity 17
    Base Attack Bonus +6
    Two-Weapon Fighting
    As part of a Full Round Attack, you may make an attack
    with your secondary weapon at –2, a second attack at –7.

Crushing Strike
    [General]
    Base Attack Bonus +14
    Weapon Focus (any bludgeoning)
    Weapon Specialization (any bludgeoning)
    Melee Weapon Master – Bludgeoning
    When making a Full Round Attack with any Bludgeoning melee weapon, you receive a +1 cumulative
    bonus on attack rolls for each roll that has hit this round (i.e., it restarts at +0 at the start of each round).

Melee Weapon Mastery –Bludgeoning
    [General, Fighter]
    Base Attack Bonus +8
    Weapon Focus (any bludgeoning melee)
    Weapon Specialization (any bludgeoning melee)
    Any Melee Bludgeoning weapon you wield has a +2 bonus on attack & damage rolls.

Disarming Strike Single attack, normal damage, free disarm attempt Standard
    Emerald Razor Single attack as touch attack, normal damage Standard
    Moment of Perfect Mind Use Concentration check for a Will save Immediate
    Dancing Mongoose 1 extra attack per weapon, max 2 extra attacks, Swift
    use best attack bonus, single target
    Blood in the Water +1 cumulative untyped attack and damage per critical hit (see text) Stance
    Wolf Fang Strike Attack with both weapons on one opponent, -2 both attacks Standard
    Iron Heart Surge End one effect on you, +2 morale bonus on attacks for one round Standard
    Pearl of Black Doubt +2 cumulative dodge bonus per melee attack that misses you, Stance
    resets at the beginning of your round
    Flesh Ripper Single attack, target has -4 AC and attacks for 1 round, Standard
    Fort save (13+Str mod) negates, crit multiplies the duration (see text)
    Lightning Recovery Reroll one attack at +2 to hit Immediate

Attack Routines at level 11
    Glaive base atk +11 dmg 1d10 crit 20 x3 (+ 1.5 xStr) reach weapon, 2hander
    Maul base atk +13 dmg 1d10+2 crit 20 x2 (+ 1.5 xStr) 2hander
    Glaive (reach) for attack of opportunity, drop glaive and quickdraw maul
    Emerald Razor + Power Attack (touch attack and power atk -10 to hit +20 dmg)

Two Light Maces base atk +12/+7/+2 dmg 1d6+4 crit 19-20 x2 (+ Str)
    offhand +12/+7 dmg 1d6+4 crit 19-20 x2 (+ 0.5 xStr)
    on threat (19-20) get extra attack at same attack bonus
    on crit get +1 to hit & dmg for all following attacks (bonus lasts from the
    last crit +10 rounds) while in Blood in the Water stance

at level 12 Str 15 (+2), +1 collision maces.
    Two Light Maces base atk +16/+16/+11/+6 dmg 1d6+12 crit 19-20 x2
    offhand +16/+16/+11 dmg 1d6+11 crit 19-20 x2
    on threat (19-20) get extra attack at same attack bonus
    on crit get +1 to hit & dmg for all following attacks (bonus lasts from the
    last crit +10 rounds) while in Blood in the Water stance
    if hit at least once with each weapon Rend for 1d6+3

Withering: A rod of withering acts as a +1 light mace that deals no hit point damage. Instead, the
    wielder deals 1d4 points of Strength damage and 1d4 points of Constitution damage to any creature
    she touches with the rod (by making a melee touch attack). If she scores a critical hit, the damage from
    that hit is permanent ability drain. In either case, the defender negates the effect with a DC 17 Fort save.

Mr. Smush
    Spoiler
    Show

DEEP IMPACT [PSIONIC]
    Prerequisite: Str 13, Psionic Weapon, base attack bonus +5.
    Benefit: To use this feat, you must expend your psionic focus. You can resolve your attack
    with a melee weapon as a touch attack. You must decide whether or not to use this feat prior
    to making an attack. If your attack misses, you still expend your psionic focus

GREATER PSIONIC WEAPON [PSIONIC]
    Prerequisite: Str 13, Psionic Weapon, base attack bonus +5.
    Benefit: When you use the Psionic Weapon feat, your attack with a melee weapon deals an
    extra 4d6 points of damage instead of an extra 2d6 points.

PSIONIC BODY [PSIONIC]
    Benefit: When you take this feat, you gain 2 hit points for each psionic feat you have
    (including this one). Whenever you take a new psionic feat, you gain 2 more hit points.

PSIONIC WEAPON [PSIONIC]
    Prerequisite: Str 13.
    Benefit: To use this feat, you must expend your psionic focus.
    Your attack with a melee weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of damage. You must decide
    whether or not to use this feat prior to making an attack. If your attack misses,
    you still expend your psionic focus

level class bab/ini pow/lvl feats
    1 psywar1 0/0 1,1 psionic weapon, power attack, Force Screen
    2 psywar2 1/1 2,1 psionic body, Float
    3 warblade1 2/2 3-3-1 (1) improved toughness, Moment of Perfect Mind, 2m, 1s
    4 warblade2 3/3 4-3-1 (2) Emerald Razor
    5 psywar3 4/3 3,1 Expansion
    6 warblade3 5/4 5-3-1 (2) deep impact, Battle Leader's Charge
    7 psywar4 6/5 4,2 Body Adjustment
    8 warblade4 7/6 t-4-2 (3) White Raven Tactics, Pearl of Black Doubt
    9 psywar5 7/6 5,2 greater psi weapon, psionic meditation

@12
    {standard} emerald razor, PA 10, +str vs. touch AC, wp+(str*1.5)+20
    {swift} lightning recovery if miss
    {move} psionic meditation [regain focus]

{swift} regain maneuvers
    {standard} deep impact [expend focus], PA 10, +str vs. touch AC, wp+(str*1.5)+20
    {move} [open]

Sorry about the formatting, I imported them from spreadsheets and didn't fool with them too much.
    An improvement of Drummer Boy:

You can pick up Aptitude equivelant from ToB so that any weapon with the Aptitude enhancement is considered to be whatever weapon is necessary for the feats which require specific weapons.

So you could combine, for example, Keen Kukri, with a crit range of 15-20, with Aptitude, and still use them in conjunction with Lightning Mace. Combined with Blood In The Water, it can become possible to have an obscene number of attacks and bonus damage to every attack.

There was even a Test of Spite build which used Aptitude and Lightning Mace and a splitting crossbow or something like that to create a nearly infinite loop. Which was freekin' hilarious when he failed a save vs Death Wish and turned himself into a red mist.

Also, Drummer Boy needs Pouncing Strike or a one-level dip in Lion Totem Barbarian for Pounce
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2010-12-13 at 12:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    An improvement of Drummer Boy:

You can pick up Aptitude equivelant from ToB so that any weapon with the Aptitude enhancement is considered to be whatever weapon is necessary for the feats which require specific weapons.

So you could combine, for example, Keen Kukri, with a crit range of 15-20, with Aptitude, and still use them in conjunction with Lightning Mace. Combined with Blood In The Water, it can become possible to have an obscene number of attacks and bonus damage to every attack.

There was even a Test of Spite build which used Aptitude and Lightning Mace and a splitting crossbow or something like that to create a nearly infinite loop. Which was freekin' hilarious when he failed a save vs Death Wish and turned himself into a red mist.

Also, Drummer Boy needs Pouncing Strike or a one-level dip in Lion Totem Barbarian for Pounce
    Olo used a handgun, actually.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Powerful Build allows you to be counted as one size larger than you are for opposed rolls, when it is advantageous to you.
    My life seems strangely backwards. You're confusing Jotunbrud and Powerful Build (which everyone does). But you're making the racial feature weaker, rather than making the feat stronger.

Jotunbrud does what you said.
    Powerful build does all that, and lets you use a larger sized weapon.

There's a description of powerful build under halfgiant.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    Man, if only we had an extremely clear definition of ally available in the core rules... Oh, wait, we do!
    Nice find! +1 internets for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Stone Dragon is spiffy at L1 for Charging Minotaur and Stone Bones. Mountain Hammer may be worth it. Otherwise, I skip Stone Dragon as-is and use Endarire's Revised Stone Dragon Discipline.

I'm not sure if posted this, but my Hood made spiffy use of swift/immediate action maneuvers as she one-shot or one-rounded almost anything in Red Hand of Doom. She was not the typical Warblade, however. (She was a Feat Rogue1/Cleric1/WhirlPounce Barbarian1/PsyWar1/Warblade1/Abrupt Jaunt Conjurer1/Fighter1/Warblade+1.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    My life seems strangely backwards. You're confusing Jotunbrud and Powerful Build (which everyone does). But you're making the racial feature weaker, rather than making the feat stronger.

Jotunbrud does what you said.
    Powerful build does all that, and lets you use a larger sized weapon.
    I know how they work, I was just pointing out that Powerful Build doesn't make you considered Large for hiding under (with Underfoot Combat).

Context, my dear fellow, makes things easier to understand.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

WRT is pretty stupid regardless. I hate the maneuver because optimization demands that I surround the BBEG with 5th-level dudes for maximum actions, but there's no way to explain the result that doesn't sound laughably absurd.
    What if they all wore sexy cheerleader outfits?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    What if they all wore sexy cheerleader outfits?
    Wasn't there a thread a while back proving that simply enchanting clothes was better for your ac than wearing armor...?
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

I think IHS needs some sort of disclaimer that it can be very good or utterly useless depending on DM's interpretation. I can't think of too many actual effects you'd want to end that give you enough freedom to actually use the standard action to end them. I mean it works on things like abilities penalties (say Ray of Enfeeblement) or fatigued/exhausted/sickened. I'm not really sure giving up your standard action to remove those is worthwhile though (well maybe a large enough ray of enfeeblement is). Now if your DM rules you can use this to remove conditions even if said condition doesn't normally allow a standard action, then yes its fantastic. I suppose if you consider ability damage/drain as an effect/condition with a duration longer than 1 round it could also be useful.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    I think IHS needs some sort of disclaimer that it can be very good or utterly useless depending on DM's interpretation.
    Bestow Curse, ability penalty/drain, lycanthropy and diseases already make IHS more than useful.

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the RAI is that WRT is one of the exceptions to this, as shown by the Sage answer quoted earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Probably off-topic, but... where (book, Dragon issue, web-sup, you know) is that rule about the DC 40 tumble check??

Also, more on topic, I would say WRT doesn't work on yourself, after all, White Raven is the Team Work Discipline.

And every time I read a Warblade handbook, I think that Storm Guard Warrior is more and more awesome.
    Yes, I know Wizards can do it better, everyone knows it, they have the name of the goddamn company

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Tumble DC 40 to make a 10 foot step is in Oriental Adventures (3.0) IIRC.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, on the subject of IHS....

Well, the very wording of the maneuver says that it is a condition or effect, so, say, if you were affected by a spell, you could remove it, provided it does affect "you" and not "the place you're standing on".
    I still remember that time I used it to remove a Greater Geass. The guy who put it on me forgot the "don't remove this curse" line. Hilarious.
    Yes, I know Wizards can do it better, everyone knows it, they have the name of the goddamn company

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

The Oriental Adventures high DC Tumble rules were ported to the SRD.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

30. - Top - End - #210

There's nothing there about 5 of 10 foot steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?