New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Hourglass of Zihaja] Chapter 0: How it All Began

Ask the Cartographer.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2010-11-27 at 10:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    He's already a bear that turns into a bear that gets so angry it turns into a bear, worships bears, and commands bears, all while riding a bear. He has enough bear.
    There's never enough bear.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

Lol I can't I kind of rolled a natural 20 on intimidate. He drew me maps on the spot but something tells me that if he sees me ever, he will run away and get some guards. A 35 Intimidate from a 7 foot tall Aazlai (Lion Man) is enough to make even the boldest of Cartographers quiver in there boots and look over there backs for weeks. He probably has nightmares.

All images are property of Zeta Kai in an effort to show my support and raise awareness of the amazing Hourglass of Zihaja campaign setting.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Juhn View Post
    And on to the prehistory writeup:
    Oh, I have one other thing to say about that: Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! You guys just keep outdoing yourselves.

And, that's not the cartographer I meant. Ask the guy he represents.
    Last edited by Juhn; 2010-11-27 at 11:02 PM.
    He's already a bear that turns into a bear that gets so angry it turns into a bear, worships bears, and commands bears, all while riding a bear. He has enough bear.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Pixie in the Playground

Lol I know its Zeta but I found it very nostalgic remembering what happened to the Cartographer in my campaign.

All images are property of Zeta Kai in an effort to show my support and raise awareness of the amazing Hourglass of Zihaja campaign setting.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, I've been wondering... would it be too much trouble to get the character sheet for that example MotW NPC again?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

The entire timeline (at the moment) has been posted. That's it for Chapter 1. From now on, if you have a question or comment about content from Chapter 1, please post it in the Chapter 1 thread. Feel free to ask/suggest whatever you want, but I'd prefer if this thread was reserved for discussing the recent postings & other miscellanea. Tomorrow, we'll start on Chapter 2. Thank you all for your support.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2010-11-27 at 11:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'll make one last post about Chapter 1 in here before I migrate there:

I didn't realize Zihaja subsumed some nine aspects since the fall of the Empire of Admaja. He's been busy lately.

Also, when it said that Sidaru was the oldest Aspect of Zihaja, I didn't know that that meant that Sidaru became an aspect more than 3000 years before the next one! Was Siraaj completely monotheist under Sidaru for all that time?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

There are some... errors in that timeline. Largely proofing, I would imagine, but as Johoum, Daq, Umaj and Pashati all predate the Pactspell and as devas weren't allocated a terrace until after Najmah brought them in... yeah. Corrections are underway.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

It also does not mention when the Archmagi rose to power in Admaja...
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

I seriously want to state, for the record, that you guys are geniuses. Or genie,(pun intended) if that's the proper plural. (I understand its a matter of some debate). Thank you all, you three Titans of Homebrew. Thank you.
    Four Gods wait on the windowsill
    Where once eight Gods did war and will,
    And if the gods themselves may die,
    What does that say for you and I?

Now three Gods sit on the windowsill,
    Where one God's blood was lately spilled
    Black tounges lap at the spreading pool,
    To build the strength they need to rule.

- The Quartet For The Dusk Of Man, Tycho Ephemerous Brahe

Call me Apoc.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry if it's been mentioned in the past, but why is 4E taking place five years after 3.5E?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xavius View Post
    Sorry if it's been mentioned in the past, but why is 4E taking place five years after 3.5E?
    Because that's how long it'll take for 3.5e to break the setting entirely and require Zihaja to impose an edition shift"Seriously, the setting only just converted from 3e"
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Never seen a breakdown like that before.

Also, what class is that 27th level NPC?
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, that is detailed. I can't imagine ever going into such detail I I'll ever make a setting (mostly because I'm kinda lazy). Great work!
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2010-11-28 at 09:39 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Is there any formal pattern to when the ten and fifty year leap days are placed, or does it depend from culture to culture?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    It also does not mention when the Archmagi rose to power in Admaja...
    Pick a date, & run it by Afro & me.

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    I seriously want to state, for the record, that you guys are geniuses. Or genie,(pun intended) if that's the proper plural. (I understand its a matter of some debate). Thank you all, you three Titans of Homebrew. Thank you.
    Thank you as well. We could not have done this without our audience.

Mercenary has a better answer than the real one.

Also, look in the timeline. Your favorite pharaoh is canon. Dead, but canon.

Quote Originally Posted by InaVegt View Post
    Never seen a breakdown like that before.

Also, what class is that 27th level NPC?
    She's a druid, & a master of the wastes. You'll find out more about her later. She's mentioned in the timeline, though, if you wanna try & find her.

Wow, that is detailed. I can't imagine ever going into such detail I I'll ever make a setting (mostly because I'm kinda lazy). Great work!
    Thank you, but you haven't even seen the maps yet. Go take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Is there any formal pattern to when the ten and fifty year leap days are placed, or does it depend from culture to culture?
    It depends. Good question, though.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2010-11-28 at 11:10 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Mercenary has a better answer than the real one.
    Of course I did, I just had a suspicion that there would be a certain game within a game in 3.5- I call it "How many wishes does it take to destroy the kamala"
    Part of YugiohITP

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice formatting. I wondered how the months would turn out and I like how you did them.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hell, it's about time.

I realize that I dropped off the face of the discussion threads a while back, but don't think I stopped caring! I've only just looked at the posts, but I am very excited. It's been a full two years, but...you guys did it. Most of the setting hasn't even been posted yet, but it looks immensely detailed, and really just overwhelmingly impressive. I mean, I've been playing in this setting for months now (thaaaaank you Shadow), and I'm still astounded by this.

Fantastic work, thank you all so much. This is exactly what I was hoping for these past two years.

(I'll probably switch over to a banner with an Aspect's symbol later, but I haven't yet chosen my favourite.)

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Imma say this: the spread of levels is a bit too even.

Wouldn't it make sense for there to be some unevenness in the curve?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, look in the timeline. Your favorite pharaoh is canon. Dead, but canon.
    Yay! I am now in your debt.
    ...and I'm sure you'll find a way to use that against me.

Also, the maps are indeed as awesome as the rest of the project. You could/should be a professional cartographer.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2010-11-28 at 04:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Of course I did, I just had a suspicion that there would be a certain game within a game in 3.5- I call it "How many wishes does it take to destroy the kamala"
    Now, now. Let's not get into an edition war here. Nobody wins those, & we're trying harder than WotC has to bridge the great schism in the fanbase. Let us build together, than to break apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    Nice formatting. I wondered how the months would turn out and I like how you did them.
    Thank you. The years are significantly shorter than Earth standard, but it's a desert planet, so that's not unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    Hell, it's about time.
    You're telling me! My wife doesn't recognize me. We might've been done a whole year sooner, but various RL problems arose, we got way too ambitious, & we wanted to do this right. That work speaks for itself, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    Fantastic work, thank you all so much. This is exactly what I was hoping for these past two years.
    I'm glad. I want this to be a place where people wanna play. I think that we all want that, really.

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Imma say this: the spread of levels is a bit too even.

Wouldn't it make sense for there to be some unevenness in the curve?
    What sense does an uneven or curved progression make? We're talking about the demographics of people by character level, which doesn't exist in real life. Therefore, there is nothing to base such an assertion on, other than aesthetics, which is subjective.

Ah, but there IS something to base it on! The rules themselves. In the DMG, on page 138, under Total Characters of Each Class, it says (quote):

"For PC classes, if the highest-level character indicated is 2nd level or higher, assume the community has twice that number of characters of half that level. If those characters are higher than 1st level, assume that for each such character, the community has two of half that level. Continue until the number of 1st-level characters is generated."

This goes for communities of all sizes in the world of D&D, which means that it can generally be applied to an entire world. Of course, were we to have done this, we would have ended up with something similar to a Forgotten Realms scenario, where every barmaid & ditch digger on the continent was 10th level or more. Also, by this logic, assuming our same population, there will be a character somewhere in the world that is level 67,108,864. When you actually look at the things that mid-/high-level characters are capable of, we realized that this was unrealistic.

Therefore, we toned down the progression. Instead of "twice as many at half the level", we made it "twice as many at level minus one", which is smooth, simple, elegant, & convenient. Now, low-level characters are very common, mid-level characters are rare, high-level characters are extremely rare, & epic-level characters are practically unique (we could have literally named them all if we had wanted to). Players have a real chance of impacting their world in a major way, without bumping into an Elminster or a Mordenkainen on every street corner, keeping them down when they should be rising above the common folk. An E6 game is perfectly viable here with this kind of population, unlike settings that use the RAW demographics, & every other person won't be an Olympic athlete.

so, as you can see, we've put some thought into our numbers over the last two years.

Yay! I am now in your debt.
    ...and I'm sure you'll find a way to use that against me.
    That's the plan.

Also, the maps are indeed as awesome as the rest of the project. You could/should be a professional cartographer.
    It's a tough industry to get into. You should see some of the guys at the Cartographer's Guild. I'm a small fry there, to be sure. Hopefully, with this project complete, my star shall rise. We'll see.

Also, for the record, I added a couple of new tables with info on the many settlements & locations on Siraaj. It should make it pretty easy to find any place that is mentioned in other articles. See if you can find them all; you'll likely learn a lot about the world, even before I post locale articles. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2010-11-28 at 05:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

What sense does an uneven or curved progression make? We're talking about the demographics of people by character level, which doesn't exist in real life. Therefore, there is nothing to base such an assertion on, other than aesthetics, which is subjective.

Ah, but there IS something to base it on! The rules themselves. In the DMG, on page 138, under Total Characters of Each Class, it says (quote):

"For PC classes, if the highest-level character indicated is 2nd level or higher, assume the community has twice that number of characters of half that level. If those characters are higher than 1st level, assume that for each such character, the community has two of half that level. Continue until the number of 1st-level characters is generated."

This goes for communities of all sizes in the world of D&D, which means that it can generally be applied to an entire world. Of course, were we to have done this, we would have ended up with something similar to a Forgotten Realms scenario, where every barmaid & ditch digger on the continent was 10th level or more. When you actually look at the things that mid-/high-level characters are capable of, we realized that this was unrealistic.

Therefore, we toned down the progression. Instead of "twice as many at half the level", we made it "twice as many at level minus one", which is smooth, simple, elegant, & convenient. Now, low-level characters are very common, mid-level characters are rare, high-level characters are extremely rare, & epic-level characters are practically unique (we could have literally named them all if we had wanted to). Players have a real chance of impacting their world in a major way, without bumping into an Elminster or a Mordenkainen on every street corner, keeping them down when they should be rising above the common folk. An E6 game is perfectly viable here with this kind of population, unlike settings that use the RAW demographics, & every other person won't be an Olympic athlete.
    so, as you can see, we've put some thought into our numbers over the last two years.

Yes I like how elegant it is. Very nice although I see you roughed it up so you didn't have all evens and its believable (WotC rules aren't quite for making your OWN world.)

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

The maps are, as I expected, unbelieveably detailed. I don't think anyone will be lacking places to set their story. Ever.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see a scale on the map of the Naranj area. I could eyeball it comparing distances with the continental map I figure it'd be easier to just get Word of God Zeta.
    Truth resists simplicity.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Pixie in the Playground

I was just wondering how it is that Aazlai are not recognized as existing as per the sentient race population chart. The races listed there make up 100% of the sentient population. So how is it that Aizlai are not included. Are you guys not counting them as sentient, because if thats the case I feel somewhat offended.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostSkillfull View Post
    I was just wondering how it is that Aazlai are not recognized as existing as per the sentient race population chart. The races listed there make up 100% of the sentient population. So how is it that Aizlai are not included. Are you guys not counting them as sentient, because if thats the case I feel somewhat offended.
    The "Sentient Race Population Chart" could be renamed the "Civilized Race Population Chart". In general, when talking about the "Player Races", Aazlai, Pahari, She-Da-Zhong, Dvernin and Shagals are excluded. I.e. the chart only references the break down of the voted in/main races.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostSkillfull View Post
    As stated before, the total number of creatures with an Intelligence of more than 3 is 268,435,455. If you add up all of the player races' populations (which are likely rounded to the nearest thousand), you get a total of 268,360,000. The remainder of those two figures is 75,455, which is split up among the aazlai, the centaurs (desert & steppe), the dvernin, the pahari, shaghali, the she-da-zhong, & the vulture harpies.

That seems kinda low, but most of those races are fairly localized, fringe species, many of who have no civilization to speak of to pump their numbers up. I may tweak the numbers in the minor races' favor, but they were not forgotten. So don't get all offended about our discrimination against non-existent lion-men.

Forget everything that I said, Shadow_Elf has it right. It's the PC race chart, & those other guys don't count toward the total.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2010-11-29 at 01:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a location named Abubu?

Am I detecting a subtle Aladdin reference?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you for the clarification. The part I said I might take offense too is the notion that Aazlai aren't an intelligent race because ive been playing one for months. I understand why most of the player races would be considered more fringe. Although the numbers do seem a little low. Anyways I was just asking to make sure.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Skillful
    I am curious as to where you got your banner <.<

I think the whole thing has a strong aladdin theme