New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default 4e - Ranged Basic Attack powers

Melee basic attacks are used for opportunity attacks. And there are some powers that are treated as melee basic attacks.

I see a few ranged attack powers that can be used as ranged basic attacks. What's the use of that? Can you use those to some benefit?

For instance, the Sun Strike Invoker power can be treated as a ranged basic attack.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: 4e - Ranged Basic Attack powers

if I recall there's a few powers that allow use of range basic attacks. For example I seem to recall a stance that allows you to use a range basic attack if an enemy moves towards you.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, among other things, a Warlord can make you use a basic attack but not an at-will.

@V: No. I said "among other things". Warlord is the only one I've got off the toppa my head.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2010-12-02 at 09:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

So with the absence of a Warlord...Ranged Basic Attack powers have little to no merit?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cavanaht View Post
    So with the absence of a Warlord...Ranged Basic Attack powers have little to no merit?
    Not at all. Several items increase the power of your RBA (bonus to hit, bonus to damage). Furthermore, several feats and powers utilize RBAs as well. For instance, the Deft Hurler feat allows you to Cleave and then make a RBA as a part of the same attack action.

Also, the Eagle Shaman is basically the leader for RBA's while the Warlord is primarily the MBA leader.

/edit - Optimizers love RBAs as there's so much juicy stuff you can do with them... but it is fairly obscure. If you aren't really an optimizer at heart, you don't have an Eagle Shaman, and you aren't a Seeker, you can fairly well ignore RBAs.
    Last edited by tcrudisi; 2010-12-02 at 09:13 PM.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

The seeker is the strongest RBA user and it's fairly potent. RBAs aren't as strong as MBAs but theyre more than competent just not as common
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

For a Sorcerer, Acid Orb + Sourcerous Blade Channeling = Acid Orb to the face as Opportunity Attack/Melee Basic. Don't know if that is official, but I let my players do it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gurban View Post
    For a Sorcerer, Acid Orb + Sourcerous Blade Channeling = Acid Orb to the face as Opportunity Attack/Melee Basic. Don't know if that is official, but I let my players do it.
    It's not official. What you have is a Ranged Basic Attack that can be used as a melee attack. This does not make it a Melee Basic Attack.

There was a FAQ question or rules clarification on it somewhere, I'm just too lazy to look it up.

Is it a bad house-rule? Certainly not. Many rule the way you do, and honestly, the Sorc needs a bit of a bump.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    Also, the Eagle Shaman is basically the leader for RBA's while the Warlord is primarily the MBA leader.
    The Warlord has a new (MP2, so not new new, but still relatively new) set of class features, letting him change over to ranged attacks. Combined with the normal "Warlord hits the monster with the Barbarian" tactics, he's almost an archery-focused group's best friend.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    The Animist Shaman is also excellent at providing basic attacks for either melee or ranged. Spirit Infusion grants a +2 power bonus to the attack and scaling power bonus to damage based on the shaman's Int modifier.

As mentioned before, ranged basic attacks have two advantages: team members granting them out of turn and item support. Eagle Eye Goggles and Bracers of the Perfect Shot can boost RBAs quite a bit and are relatively low-cost items, being level 2/12/22 and 3/13/23 respectively. There is also a nice seeker feat called Primal Eye that adds your Strength or Dex modifier to ranged basic damage. These are just a few examples, there are probably a lot more bonuses for RBAs out there.