New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Hyperconscious - 3.5 - has Persistent Power. Requires Extend Spell, +12 PP, and psionic focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Brainstorm for Psionic Tricks, Tactics, and Combos Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaska'Agathas View Post
    Inspired by some of the stuff in this thread I've decided to try my hand at writing a Psionic Tricks Handbook. It would be a sort of clearing house for psionic tricks, tactics, and combos. Trouble is, I'm no expert on what tricks you can pull with Psionics. So I humbly ask for help in this endeavor.

The MoI Recharge Trick -
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Recharge Trick uses Midnight Augmentation, Linked Power and Metapower to manifest Bestow Power (linked to a 1st level power) with a lower power point cost than power points bestowed by Bestow Power. This allows your psychic to do his thing, all day long.
    Feats: Midnight Augmentation, Linked Power, Metapower, Psicrystal Containment
    Powers: Bestow Power, a first level power (Here I use Synchronicity)
    Method:
    • 1. Focus yourself and your Psicrystal

• 2. You choose Synchronicity to be effected by Midnight Augmentation, investing one essentia

• 3. Expend your Psychic Focus to manifest a Synchronicity (which you have chosen to permanently join Linked Power to by Metapower)

• 4. Expend your Psicrystal's Psychic Focus to manifest Synchronicity, linked to Bestow Power (Costs reduced by Midnight Augmentation for -1, and Metapower for -2, reducing the cost of the Hustle/Bestow Power combo to 1 PP)

• 5. Refocus yourself and your Psicrystal (Doable in one round, if you choose Synchronicity as your 1st level power)

• 6. Repeat 3-6

Minimum Level: 3 (Higher without Flaws + Human)
    Not trying to sound like an idiot or anything, but how does this require you to manifest synchronicity twice? From what I can tell, you use Midnight Augmentation on it, it lets you cast it metapowered with linked power to bestow power for 1 PP to receive 2 on the next round. Check. Refocus yourself with the extra action that you receive, as you still have your move to act out a full-round action(Or with psi meditation you can refocus you and your crystal in the same round). Where does the second manifesting of Synchronicity come into play?

3. - Top - End - #273
    Pixie in the Playground

This trick I've just been calling 'Bombs,' it depends on how your DM views Glyph of Warding, and is based on these premises:

*Glyph of Warding states: This powerful inscription harms those who enter, pass, or open the warded area or object. The evolution from this sentence was if a flask was enchanted with a glyph and it was broken, was it considered opened? Our DM ruled yes, and so the basic grenade was formed.

From there evolution came to small crystals placed under blunt arrowheads on a slide, with spikes under the head to break the crystals on impact. This allowed for us to come up with a superior delivery mechanism for the bombs to be placed on target.

*Glyph of Warding also states: Spell Glyph: You can store any harmful spell of 3rd level or lower that you know.

Left on its own Energy Burst is a terrible power, but if it could be moved off the caster, placed in a glyph and shot into enemies, then it would be a far superior power than it's normal area of effect of 'centered on caster.' If you also use Widen Power along with your choice of Twin/Empower/Maximize, an explosion with an 80' radius goes off, which is 16 times the area that a fireball covers, or about the size of half a football field.

-----------------

From here, the math gets out of control and it cascades like this:

*We have a basic bomb for a 15th level manifester doing at least 15d6 damage to an area with an 80' radius. 15d6.
    *Telekinetic Thrust allows you to throw 15 items, meaning 15 bomb arrows. 225d6.
    *Twin Power Telekinetic Thrust allows you to throw 30 items, meaning 30 bomb arrows. 450d6.
    *With one round setup, Synchronicity would allow you to throw 60 items, 60 bomb arrows, with two twinned Telekinetic Thrusts, in one round. 900d6 to everything in an 80' radius.

Other arrow concepts thought up so far were Entangling Ectoplasm, Ego Whip and Astral Construct, but really any useful offensive power levels 1-3 could be set in a Glyph of Warding and activated with various triggers. The best part is not needing 200gp in diamond dust like casters do.

And yes, this is completely broken. We stay away from this level of play, but I thought I'd share it to show how the abuse of one power can get out of control with certain interpretations of the RAW.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Banned

Male

Brain-Boosted Blasting
    The following was something that martixy indirectly brought to my attention in this post, and I've since expanded upon it. It's a new take on the Control Body + Psicrystal + Solicit Psicrystal or Co-Opt Concentration trick.

Ingredients
    Necessary:
    Psicrystal Affinity
    Control Body
    Solicit Psicrystal or Co-Opt Concentration (shared with psicrystal)
    Energy Ray (or some other cheap blasty power)

Bonus Points:
    Synchronicity
    Link Power
    Psicrystal Containment
    Psionic Meditation
    Any swift action power (Hustle)
    Any immediate action power (Grip of Iron)

Start the above Control Body trick, so your body is under control of your psicrystal. Now you gain +Int to hit and +Int to damage. Let's say that at level 20 your Intelligence score is 40, which isn't terribly hard to pull off, leaving you with an Int mod of +15. Make sure both of your psionic focuses are up.

Fire off a 1 pp (Fire) or (Cold) Energy Ray to deal 1d6+16 damage. Easy, right? This is as basic as it can get.

Now abuse the psionic action economy boosters to take lots of little pot-shots instead of one or two large ones at 1d6+16 damage per pp you spend, plus the cost of the Control Body trick and Synchronicity, etc. Net yourself half a dozen actions per turn? That translates to 6d6+96 damage for six 1 pp Energy Rays.

It gets even better during later levels when you're tossing out Overchanneled, Twinned, Chained Energy Conversions, shared with your Schism, your Metamorphosis'd psicrystal, and your psicrystal's schism. That's a LOT of damage, especially since it's possible to overlap the Chained shots from all four personalities' Twinned potshots.

Add a level of factotum to double up on +Int to damage a few times per encounter.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2015-09-09 at 09:53 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Solicit Psicrystal allows your psicrystal to use your Concentration modifier, but no rule allows for anything else, and its Int is only 6. I don't see how this works.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

6. - Top - End - #276
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    Solicit Psicrystal allows your psicrystal to use your Concentration modifier, but no rule allows for anything else, and its Int is only 6. I don't see how this works.
    The psicrystal concentrates on Control Body, but it uses your Int modifier for it, because you're the one that manifested the power.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

hmmm, nice to see my trick show up in another 'psionic tricks' thread on another board entirely. ^^

a few comments:

the erudite shuffle as written wouldn't work because the moment you have more manifesting levels in anything other than erudite, you lose the ability to learn more powers via that method.

font of power is quite useful with that one power that allows you to not count the current round against your duration for all effects. you'll need a method to dual manifest to really make it fun, but by the time you can manifest font of power and the duration reset power, you should already have that licked.
    Arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshyo ka?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    hmmm, nice to see my trick show up in another 'psionic tricks' thread on another board entirely. ^^

a few comments:

the erudite shuffle as written wouldn't work because the moment you have more manifesting levels in anything other than erudite, you lose the ability to learn more powers via that method.

font of power is quite useful with that one power that allows you to not count the current round against your duration for all effects. you'll need a method to dual manifest to really make it fun, but by the time you can manifest font of power and the duration reset power, you should already have that licked.
    Hey, Niji. Feel free to add my tricks to your handbook, if you want, since this thread is apparently no longer updating (at least for the moment).

9. - Top - End - #279
    Colossus in the Playground

There's also this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    Temporal Reiteration is a swift action by default. But yes, Linked power is a handy little add-on, as are other extra action effects, such as schism.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    Hey, Niji. Feel free to add my tricks to your handbook, if you want, since this thread is apparently no longer updating (at least for the moment).
    That wand chamber fandango reminds me of the time my artificer was tasked to come up with a useful weapon, preferably rapid fire - so i decided to recreate the crossbow from van helsing.

enter the dual deathwand crossbow as my base, enchant it with the pocket dimension effect that can hold up to 100 bolts (per crossbow), animate it for self-reloading, splitting enchantment for extra bolts, etc. and as two deathwand crossbows, it can hold four djore in addition to the bolt stores.

then i realized that if i instead made it that one psi-artificer crossbow homunculus, i could give it the quick reloading feats, and due to that obscure rule that doesn't limit monsters to four iterative attacks per round (only characters), i can give each crossbow 4+ attacks per round, assuming i'm willing to spend the gold to boost it's BAB that high. Plus, since it's now a monster, technically, it may no longer be subject to the 200,000 gold non-epic cap for magic items. even if it is, once the character hits epic themselves, then they can finish the job.

so, the character holds it and points it in the general direction, and it hoses that area with auto-reloading, machine-gun repeating rain of death bolts. The max carrying capacity is about 200 bolts (plus maybe 5 extra per bow depending on if you also have the clip involved). nijineko suggests having one of the djores be concussion blast (to keep people away from you), energy bolt (for line effectiveness), energy ball (for homing), and something unexpected.

I could even enchant every five bolts or so with glowing (see weapon creation rules for that effect) as a tracer round. ^^
    Last edited by nijineko; 2015-09-15 at 01:56 PM.
    Arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshyo ka?

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

hmmm... I'm not seeing the infinite power point trick listed.

IRC its overchannel plus a strongheart vest soulmeld = lulz.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    hmmm... I'm not seeing the infinite power point trick listed.

IRC its overchannel plus a strongheart vest soulmeld = lulz.
    There's multiple PP recharge tricks listed already. MOI Recharge, The Embrace of Mother Earth, You Squared, The Psionic Dreadnought, and Power Surge, all edited into and spoilered in the OP, do infinite power points. There's also a few others - the OP does not appear to be following up anymore.

The big problem with the Strongheart Vest plus Body Fuel (overchannel just lets you put more power points into a power) is that it's debateable - you gain points by taking the ability damage, not by dealing the ability damage to yourself. If the damage is prevented, you're not taking it anymore.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Banned

Male

This trick is coming to you via Lycanthromancer.

If you Metamorphosis into a phasm you can then use its Alternate Form (Su) ability via Metamorphic Transfer to become anything of Large size or smaller, irrespective of HD or type, including undead, outsiders, constructs, and epic creatures, and possibly including templates. You can then use Metamorphic Transfer to get whatever (Su) abilities you want out of them.

So there's that.

If you use this trick frequently, you may want to take Assume Supernatural Ability (phasm + Alternate Form) and use Metamorphic Transfer on whatever (Su) abilities you want on the alternate forms you take.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Banned

Male

And here's a trick brought to you by me. I call it the Lycrystal. Give lycanthropy to your psicrystal via a transformative effect that changes its type to humanoid or giant. If it works anything like template stacking, your psicrystal keeps its lycanthropy even though it otherwise wouldn't be a valid target.

And another one I just thought of:

Normally, Hidden Talent only gives you +2 pp and a single level 1 power that can only be manifested at ML 1, unless you have a manifester class. But what happens if you take Supernatural Transformation (Psionics)? It's a viable combo, especially if you have the Magic Mantle. But in this case, your ML increases up to your HD. Would you gain bonus pp for a high Cha score? I dunno what to call this one. Supernatural Talent, maybe? It's the only way I know of to boost the ML on Hidden Talent that doesn't require a class level.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2015-11-27 at 05:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    But in this case, your ML increases up to your HD.
    No, no, your caster level increases up to your HD. Or rather remains the same, because all psionic powers already have a caster level equal to your HD (since they are spell-like abilities and their caster level is not otherwise stated). Remember, manifester level is a property that psionics have in addition to caster level, not instead of it. Even with full transparency in place, they're still separate values.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    No, no, your caster level increases up to your HD. Or rather remains the same, because all psionic powers already have a caster level equal to your HD (since they are spell-like abilities and their caster level is not otherwise stated). Remember, manifester level is a property that psionics have in addition to caster level, not instead of it. Even with full transparency in place, they're still separate values.
    Psionics is explicitly psi-like, which is explicitly the psionic version of spell-like, and Magic Mantle equates the two perfectly. Psionics is also explicitly innate, and so Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) works just fine, boosting your effective ML to your HD, rather than leaving it at 1. It's not an "actual manifester level," according to Hidden Talent, but it's still psionics.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2015-11-27 at 09:19 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Supernatural Transformation doesn't affect your manifester level.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernatural Transformation
    The effective caster level equals your total Hit Dice or the effective caster level of the original ability, whichever is higher.
    Caster level and manifester level are separate values. All psionic powers have both a caster level and a manifester level; Supernatural Transformation can only affect the former.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Supernatural Transformation doesn't affect your manifester level.

Caster level and manifester level are separate values. All psionic powers have both a caster level and a manifester level; Supernatural Transformation can only affect the former.
    According to Magic Mantle, manifesting and casting are the same.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2015-11-27 at 08:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

The mantle says to treat magic and psionics as identical. It doesn't make your manifester level equal to your caster level--there's zero basis for that in the rules. That would be like saying it makes power points count as spell slots.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Firbolg in the Playground

Are there any feats that give a creature a psi-like ability or psionic spell-like ability that isn't reliant on power points to fuel? Because I just found a new infinite pp recharge trick.

Sapping Your Psicrystal
    Give your psicrystal a pp-less psi-like/psionic spell-like ability. Purchase a sap with the powerleech ability, from Lost Empires of Faerun (+8,000 gp). Now flail harmlessly at your psicrystal with said sap until you're at your full pp total, as creatures without pp totals are not drained of power points, but you DO still receive pp in turn, and it doesn't matter whether the victim receives damage, but whether the weapon hits it.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-08-08 at 08:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Are there any feats that give a creature a psi-like ability or psionic spell-like ability that isn't reliant on power points to fuel? Because I just found a new infinite pp recharge trick.
    I believe Host feats give you psi-like abilities without giving you a power point reserve.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Give your psicrystal the pp-less psi-like/psionic spell-like ability. Purchase a sap with the power leech ability, from Lost Empires of Faerun (+8,000 gp). Now flail harmlessly at your psicrystal with said sap until you're at your full pp total, as creatures without pp totals are not drained of power points, but you DO still receive pp in turn, and it doesn't matter whether the victim receives damage, but whether the weapon hits it.
    That would be useful for a Spectral Savant as well - they are psionic lich-likes who can't regain PP by resting. Effectively, you'd turn the psicrystal into its main source of power, which is pretty cool, and practical, too (as in, practical if you're forced to play a Spectral Savant).
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Bugbear in the Playground

Great stuff. Nice to have all these tricks, new and old, in one place.

25. - Top - End - #295

Planar Unbinding
    Want to know how to completely unravel space and time throughout whatever plane you're on, at will? Observe:

A 10th level ardent with the dominant ideal ACF (found here) can use metapsionic feats on his favored mantle's powers without expending focus, AND all metapsionic feats cost 2 pp less to use on those powers. Nowhere in any official source does it state that you are limited in how many times you can apply a specific metapsionic feat to any given manifestation, aside from the limits imposed by the psionic focus and augmentation cap rules, both of which are relaxed with this ACF. Also on the page linked above is the substitute powers ACF, which allows you to replace any and all powers on your mantles with other powers that are thematically appropriate.

Since the convert spell-to-power erudite can convert all arcane spells to psionic powers (and all divine spells can be converted to arcane spells in myriad ways), any spell can be converted into a psionic power, which can thus be added to an ardent's mantle.

And so we come to the planar bubble wrap spell power. Add it to your dominant ideal mantle and take two feats: Widen Power and Metapower (Widen Power + planar bubble). Now you can Widen the planar bubble power as many times as you want, with the only limit being that you must choose the number of times you add it to the power when you manifest it. Thus, you can cover hundreds, millions, or trillions of miles. Or you can throw it on (Graham's number)^(Graham's number) times, which, while not utterly infinite, might as well be. Add on the Burrowing Power feat and a high Psicraft check, and you can cover just about everywhere you care about on your current plane.

Planar bubble replaces the planar traits of the plane you're on with the traits of your native plane. This generally does nothing for a character native to the plane he's on. However, if you're from a different plane -- say, the Outlands -- you can overwrite the planar traits of the Material Plane with your native plane. In the case of the Outlands, you can apply the dead magic trait for the area directly around Sigil's Spire, thus turning off all forms of magic for everyone, including gods. If you carry around an acorn of far travel for a tree planted elsewhere, or can somehow apply the Selective Spell feat, you are immune to the dead magic trait you just applied. So now you can turn off the plane's magic whenever you want and energy ray gods to death, if you like.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-08-19 at 07:13 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Barbarian in the Playground

No idea if it has been mentioned, but there's a good trick that can be built off of MoI recharge. Sapphire Smite + Psycarnum Infusion nets you infinite smites, and with that small foundation, you can customize and upgrade a smite ability to make it a legitimate suite of combat tricks.

I made a basic version here. I think that MoI recharge often gets either used for essentia or to reduce metamagic levels, which are both probably better uses for the trick, but I haven't seen it used with Sapphire Smite anywhere other than in passing in Person Man's combat tricks handbook. The key is to combine it with Awesome Smite and Improved Trip, that makes it a legitimate building block in a character.

27. - Top - End - #297

Since the convert spell-to-power erudite can convert all arcane spells to psionic powers (and all divine spells can be converted to arcane spells in myriad ways), any spell can be converted into a psionic power, which can thus be added to an ardent's mantle.
    This is a huge stretch. Note that the Spell to Power Erudite constantly refers to manifesting the spell. It's not turned into a power.

Each spell costs a certain number of power points to manifest. The higher the level of the spell, the more power points it costs. The table below describes each spell's cost...The erudite uses her manifester level for determining the effects of the spell being manifested..."
    Furthermore, just because your guy counts it as a power for learning, doesn't mean anyone else does.

You treat the spell as a discipline power for the basis of learning it
    If spells were powers anyone could learn, there would be no need for any Erudite except one to take it because every other Erudite would already consider the spell to be a psionic power, and could just pick it up normally.

There is an argument to be made that an StP Erudite can use psychic chirurgery to implant the knowledge of a spell-to-power into a manifester's mind, but that does not make it part of an Ardent mantle.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2016-02-29 at 11:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    This is a huge stretch.
    Ahem.

Convert Spell to Power

Benefit: You add Spellcraft to your class skill list, which allows you to attempt to convert an arcane spell into a power you can add to your repertoire.
    It says you convert the spell into a power that you then add to your repertoire. The rest is just describing what happens when you do that. You explicitly convert it to a power, and once you do, it's a viable power thereafter. For instance, you can disseminate it via psychic chirurgery, or create power stones or soul crystals of it, and recipients can do the same for others.

How many manifesters need access to it as a power before it's viable as a power?

I'd say one.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2016-02-29 at 04:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299

Ahem.

It says you convert the spell into a power that you then add to your repertoire. The rest is just describing what happens when you do that. You explicitly convert it to a power, and once you do, it's a viable power thereafter. For instance, you can disseminate it via psychic chirurgery, or create power stones or soul crystals of it, and recipients can do the same for others.

How many manifesters need access to it as a power before it's viable as a power?

I'd say one.
    If he then teaches it to somebody else, perhaps with psychic chiurgery, that person can use it, too, but it is not a power on any class list and thus cannot be picked up even with Extra Power just as a "gain from leveling" thing.

The class feature you quote lets the StP Erudite convert-and-learn such spells-as-powers. It doesn't let others learn them as powers from nothing.

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    If he then teaches it to somebody else, perhaps with psychic chiurgery, that person can use it, too, but it is not a power on any class list and thus cannot be picked up even with Extra Power just as a "gain from leveling" thing.
    And the ardent doesn't have a specific list to draw his substituted powers from. If it exists as a power, he has potential access to it, no matter what list it's on.