Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 78

Thread: West Marches IC

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Cadian 9th's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default West Marches IC

    DM

    You've all travelled to the New World, to arrive in this seaside port town - named, somewhat unimaginably " Seaport ". You're all looking down the main street of Seaport, gazing upon the familiar sight of a seaside town... but, small things are out of place. A huge man and an ogre watch a cage full off blue, spined monkey-like creatures, while a man and woman argue off to the side of the street in front of a weapon stall.

    Overhead a group of Draconic humanoids fly over, lightly armoured but heavily armed. They swerve to steer clear of a steel spire, a large spike of rune carved metal that has burst from the ground. The ground beneath your feet shakes as a small dragon and it's rider land, the heavily armoured warrior hefting his lance as he lifts his visor. The dragon lurches forward, prowling through the streets.

    Stalls line the street in addition to small houses - at the end of the street, before it turns, there's the arbitrary Inn, though this one's a sight cleaner than those you may have seen before. A few shadowy, lightning fast figures leap over the rooftops and dissapear, while a gnome wizard and his raven familiar haughtily walk past you, towards the docks. A lumbering humanoid construct regards you with a cold eye, following.

    Over at the weapon stall, from what you can see, there's a variety of exotic weapons on display. Currently a Dwarf is talking to what looks like the owner, a tall, imposing human.

    A variety of guild outlets are around, that you've heard off, and there's a mageware shop (two in fact) just on this street. There's also a mecenary guildhouse, and as you watch a small, spiky construct with a spiked chain enters, eyed warily by a heavily built, plate armoured orc.

    Guilds:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Ones you can see at the moment:

    The White Robes: Good aligned wizards, looks like.
    Churches: As Cityscape.
    Mercenatile: As you would think.
    Knights of the Arcane Order: This, from what everyone's heard, is a guild for martial adventurers who either protect mages or are mages themselves.
    Blue Lily: Dedicated to the aqquisition of powerful artifacts, before others.
    Paragonostic Assembly: As Complete Champion, basically here to document everything. Fighty Bookworms be here. Or just bookworms.

    If you want your own guild, such as one you've created that could exist, I'll see what I can do.

    If you want to set up your own guild, go for it.



    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

    You're free to pursue anything that grabs your attention. If you want to look for something in particular, or want there to be a store for something, or just want to "look around" I'd be happy to add it for you. Seaport's big enough to include anything, besides, it's more fun this way.
    Awesome Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins!

    Retired from active duty

    It means I am rarely on this site anymore. It's been an honor serving with you all.


    PEACH

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sucrose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midwest U.S.

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    When the lookout first shouted for land, Kard had set down the latest in a long string of books that he'd been reading about the new continent, and walked into the bow of the ship, watching for this marvelous new land of opportunity. There was no telling how much, if any, of the things written were true, but an unreliable guide is at least a little better than no guide at all.

    Now that the ship has docked, Kard is among the first travelers to disembark; there's positively a spring in his step. He heads straight for the guild of the Blue Lily- while tomb robbing isn't precisely his beat, the information network that such an organization would possess is undoubtedly useful for the opportunity to find further arcane writings and ritual areas.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

    Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show



  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Starsign's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Sch'atte'ng'eist

    Finally settling down in the town for the moment, Sch'atte'ng'eist comes out of a small alleyway to look around. The place was quite alive, unlike the desert city of Awnight. Such attractions didn't mean much to him, what mattered was to get his job done so he could return to Awnight, the people there were in shortage of gold.

    The other members of his band were staying in an inn near the alleyways in case the need to escape arises. Sch'atte'ng'eist usually worked alone, leaving his other members on recon duty or info gathering, and it worked best that way. Sch'atte'ng'eist jumps up on a building at the top and takes a look around, seeing for any big, royal palaces or castles that he could persuade to give charity for Awnight.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, I'll make a spot check. (1d20+11)[26]
    Exams are finished! Posting shall resume shortly.

    Sharkguard avatar done by Darth Raynn!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Stormwind's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Erin Brown

    It had been a long voyage, and fortunately relatively uneventful. Erin was not overly fond of boats, whether small or big, and this voyage, quiet though it had been, had still been a bit of a trial to her and she was glad it was over.

    Several other passengers had already disembarked from the ship by the time she picked up her backpack and made her way down the gangplank to solid ground.

    She had planned to head to the mercenary guildhouse once she landed, but the fresh aromas that wafted under her nose lead her to a small bakery. After concluding a brief bit of haggling with the owner, she walks away a few coins lighter, but carrying several piping hot meat pies. As she munched contently on one she walked past a weapon stall where a dwarf was talking to the human owner. Curious she looked over the various weaponry available, assessing it for quality, and for the range of weapons available. It was always good to know what was available.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (Haggling for the meat pies): (1d20+5)[11]
    Let me know what half a dozen meat pies would cost ;)
    (Note: I'm planning on having Erin frequent the bakery whenever she is in town)

    Appraise (appraising the quality of the weapons): (1d20+3)[8]
    Would also like to know how much the human is charging (compared to what Erin would have expected to pay back on the mainland), and what sort of range of weaponry is displayed in the stall?

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Panril (Real name: Leo Silverkin)

    The unassuming man finishes up writing in his journal, puts it in his backpack, and starts walking down the gangplank. He loves collecting stories but is even more eager to seek out his own. He walks away from the dock joined by his strange dog, (though you didn't see the dog get off the ship), and peruses the stalls. He stops by the mercenary guildhouse to inquire within about service. He also stops by the blue lily guildhouse. Unsure which would make a better adventure, the simple man continues to peruse the stalls, seemingly overwhelmed by it all... Is this how adventure begins?

    Cadian 9th
    Spoiler
    Show

    Do you want everyone to roll a knowledge arcane to recognize my blink dog?
    I cast friendly face before perusing the two guild houses giving me +5 to diplomacy for an hour. Also if I see anybody at the bar I cast it again.
    Also I memorized every face I saw at both guild houses. I'll roll Diplomacy checks for each. If I see any of them tonight at the tavern, I'll approach them. From the mercenaries I will seek to learn about any impending battles, new contracts or inquiries, and the general disposition and strength of local mercenary units. From the Blue Lily I will seek to learn the location of artifacts but also mineral deposits or anything relevant their eyes and ears have heard. Most important though is just building up contacts, so I won't burn any bridges pressing the issue for intel.

    Diplomacy
    (1d20+12)[24]
    (1d20+12)[27]
    Gather Info
    (1d20+12)[14]
    (1d20+12)[28]

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Direna

    Direna leaves the ship, striding down the gangplank and onto land. This would be a good opportunity to do more work on the Technique, and if she was lucky there might be someone who knew something about her past here.

    However,once she got off of the ship Direna was...less than certain about what to do. After some deliberation, comprised mostly of checking mental and physical charts of what the Ultimate Technique had yet to cover, she bought three identical pieces of bread* and quickly ate one, marking a few notes in a scrawling hand on some parchment.

    After a few minutes of studying, writing and eating Direna was satisfied with her findings and scouted out a new place to go. Noticing a weapons stand, she headed in that direction to analyze the weapons and people there, staying a few feet to the side of the ones involved in conversation.

    *Price? Or should we not worry about little things like bread?
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    IC Kyra's arrival:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kyra stepped through the dimension door and found herself standing just down the coast from a seaside port town. You should go to that town there. Why haven't we left yet? Can you hear me? Why aren't you answering me?Why did I make you again? We just got here give me a chance to get some bearings and then we'll head out.Sorry..it is just you said you wanted to find that new world and see what they knew about shaping! What if you finally found it after all those other...While I do not share my counterpart's enthusiasm and drive, I do agree that town might be able to assist us in our journey.Kyra grumbled to herself as she checked to make her weapons were secure. She surveyed the area around her, her penetrating purple eyes taking in the breathtaking view. She then fastened her hair into place with her stylus needles. She headed off towards the city ahead, luckily this trip had placed her close to a city.
    Last edited by Deadlykire; 2010-12-06 at 08:04 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Cadian 9th's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Kard

    You head over to the Blue Lily guildhouse, a two storey black building of functional design. Moving up to the small courtyard (Similar to a peasant dwelling's vegetable garden in size proportionally), you meet two, heavily armoured living contructs, both armed with halberds. A gnome clears his throat and taps your leg to get your attention. He wears a rather fabulous red top hat and long, black robes that cover his figure. The sleeves are short, however, revealing a few glowing bracelets and a timepiece, chain wrapped around one hand while the gnome clutches a piece of parchment in the other.

    " Good day to you, Ratchet, Librarian of the Blue Lily. " He says, with an air of self importance. You notice an emblem that slips into view around his neck, a medallion with a Blue Lily on it.

    Sch'atte'ng'eist

    You leap around to the top of the nearby Inn, the tallest non-guild, non-shop building around. Surveying the area, you see the edge of the town, walled, then expanses of what looks like Jungle, though the trees are huge, different, with bright spots of color. Flocks of birds wheel about the canopy, occasionally rising to the sky then diving again. To the north west (West is inland, by the way) you see a break in the forest where you see plains, occasional small villages near ruined structures. Over to far west you see the mountains, but you can't spot much detail except that there's no snow on the peaks.

    As you look more closely you do spot a small castle and walled port some 15 miles down the coast. Banners fly from the keep, you can't see what they depict, but you do so a solitary dragon land within the walls.

    You can hardly believe you missed it the first time, but there's a large, silvery green lake over South west - Small chunks float on the river, and vapor hisses where the lake meets the forests. A metal spire has punched through the lake, reflecting light as the sun goes down. Looking around, you notice more metal spires - they seem to burst from the ground. That's about all you can see at the moment.

    Erin

    Travelling around, you indeed find several pies and successfully haggle the price from a bored looking, large human male. The pies are no delicacy, but very meaty. You're sure the pie will give you plenty of energy and protein, even if it isn't that nice.

    Now making your way to a weapons stall, you enter the shop (I assume) and are greeted by a young human female assistant, in a shop that looks like it is owned by a strong, large human male. He's conversing the Dwarf over a large, dwarven looking waraxe. " While it be a great axe, made i' me'self, it ain't good for cramped battles, yer know? " He's saying, to a nodding stall owner.

    The price signs reveal more or less standard pricing, though exotic weapons seem to be slightly higher than normal. Deeper in the shop you chance upon some mithril weaponry, but also weapons made of other materials, from common weapons such as short swords, to the more exotic Hook Swords and Monk's Spades.

    The young assistant is wearing loose, functional clothing, pale blue with black hems and a simple black belt. She's quite pretty, in a cold, angular way, and her smile is cautious. " Can I help you? " She asks.

    Panril

    Your journal completed, you make your way to the Mercenary Guildhouse. Perhaps stereotypically, you're greeted with a menacing stare from a hulking ogre in full plate with a halberd, then, curiously, a dark elf awaits you at a desk. The Dark elf is not particuarly handsome but has a cold seriousness that could freeze a rhino stampede mid charge. His desk is quite organised, with a few inkwells and quills neatly grouped, and every now and then a human aide comes and takes away the stack of papers at his desk. There's one other clerk sitting at another desk beside him, but this one's a human with more or less the same air, ableit with a less organised desk.

    An orc is in the process of being registered (looks like) with the human, but the dark elf is free. A minotaur has just left the building with a disgusted look on his face.

    Spoiler
    Show

    We'll work on your other things after this.

    Ah, not really. You can always tell them if you like. I'll post OOC about this.


    Direna

    (now for our first interaction!)

    You buy some bread from a functional stall, selling simple, wholesome food, perfect for soldiers. You see one of the other people from the boat, a tall, lithe, strong human woman with short, dark brown hair framing a well tanned face. She buys a few pies but doesn't see you, instead continuing the weapon stall you saw earlier.

    Entering the weapon stall you spot the woman again, being greeted by an assistant. The Dwarf is talking to the stall owner.

    ::
    Spoiler
    Show

    Now making your way to a weapons stall, you enter the shop (I assume) and are greeted by a young human female assistant, in a shop that looks like it is owned by a strong, large human male. The price signs reveal more or less standard pricing, though exotic weapons seem to be slightly higher than normal. Deeper in the shop you chance upon some mithril weaponry, but also weapons made of other materials, from common weapons such as short swords, to the more exotic Hook Swords and Monk's Spades.

    The young assistant is wearing loose, functional clothing, pale blue with black hems and a simple black belt. She's quite pretty, in a cold, angular way, and her smile is cautious. " Can I help you? " She asks.


    Kyra

    Spoiler
    Show

    You end up in one of the forests, nearby to the town. The forest floor is covered in leaf litter, small glowing fungi, and laced with strong, thick tree roots. Large spiders crawl as glowing bugs flit about the massive tree trunks, and bright flowers open their heads slowly and close again like jellyfish. Each black treetrunk is dotted with bright specks.

    A huge beast rushes past you, not seeming to notice you for some reason. It's bleeding heavily, blood leaking from large gashes and punctures along its carapace. It's four legged gait limps as you spot torn muscles on it's quarter. The thing had two under tusks, like a boar, and was black and red.

    Travelling onward (warily?) you chance upon a ruined stone platform, cracked by roots. It's mostly covered in leaf litter and expeditous fungi, but you can spot some runes and slowly you see signs of where the pillars were and a few chunks to mark where they've fallen. The place is damp, humid like a rainforest.

    (You're pretty close to the Town, so you can leave if you like)


    OOC: Still to hear from Kris and Cardea, but we should be able to run this for a while without them.
    Awesome Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins!

    Retired from active duty

    It means I am rarely on this site anymore. It's been an honor serving with you all.


    PEACH

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sucrose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midwest U.S.

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Kard nods to the two living constructs before bowing, smoothly moving into a kneeling position to speak to the Librarian face to calm, smiling face.

    "A pleasure, Mr. Ratchet,"
    he replies, extending his right hand.

    "I'm Kard Zene, a man far more trustworthy than his name may suggest. I'm interested in joining your fine guild, and aiding in the understanding of older cultures. May I sign up with you, or should I speak with someone else?"
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

    Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show



  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    I am examining your selection...however, I am also trying to find a posture and position that allows for the maximum sight range while still allowing for specific equipment to be focused on instantly, and to allow for quick changes to view things that are not particularly visible... Direna begins. If the other seems willing to listen, she goes into a deep explanation of angles, postures and other variables that change one's field of view.

    After doing this, she starts looking for a place where she can see all or most of the shop(and turn to see the rest quickly). Once she's there she'll take a closer look at some of the weapons.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Ah... the cold menacing stare. Why do soldiers so ofter think they have to look menacing to be menacing? They always seem to be looking for a challenge. No matter, once he is placated he will open up. Good afternoon kind sir. I'm sorry to bother you. You look very busy, but you look like the person who can get things done around here. I just arrived and, well, I'm looking for adventure... Panril flashes a wry, knowing grin. I'm no blademaster, but I'm pretty good with the pointy ends. Is there any work available for a man and his dog? Hopefully the elf isn't stupid and knows the soft spoken modesty of a true warrior. Depending on how the elf responds, Panril will know whether this is a outfit worth working for.

    Spoiler
    Show

    First sorry about doing too much in one post... guess I got overly excited :p

    Second, I can take the diplomacy from last time, or (1d20+12)[27]

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Kyra

    Spoiler
    Show
    Kyra warily moves along. When she comes across the stone tablet she stops and examines it a bit more. What are you doing? This isn't getting us to the town.Why are we stopping? What..What are you doing now?? Clearing that off is going to take forever!I thought this might hold clues for us later.This does seem a wise course of action. The condition of that beast worries me though, we should be on our way as soon as possible.She gently clears off the symbols she sees and begins to sketch them on a piece of parchment. She then sketches the entire area around her quickly before moving on towards the city.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Starsign's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Sch'atte'ng'eist

    At sight of the castle it looked like the jackpot of treasuries, but the dragon there would raise the risk to an incredible level, even for Sch'atte'ng'eist. The Thri-Kreen took another look around before heading back to the inn. Upon arrival, he noticed his group was awake and awaiting his arrival. "So I see we are all set then?" he said in a semi-monotone voice, his usual tone when talking.

    One of his members, a human male, stood up. "We've been expecting that you'd be longer actually," he said in a cheerful tone. Another one, a half-elf female spoke, "Some of us were rather impatient," she snarked, talking about the human male and the burly minotaur, "But I have them in control." The minotaur slammed his mug on the table. "I've been up all night wanting to get out of this town. What do you have for us chief?" His voice was loud, but obviously caring to his "chief" Sch'atte'ng'eist. The human female and male half-elf were absent, Sch'atte'ng'eist sent them off on recon duty in the meantime.

    The Thri-Kreen said, "There is a castle a long ways down the coast, possibly abandoned. It is guarded by a dragon. I want everyone to stay clear of it at this time. There is however, an interesting lake off to the southwest. I will be heading there. Ashela," he said to the half-elf female. "You are to accompany me this time. Marcus, Rulke," he said to the male human and minotaur respectively, "Find Wans and Chella, they're long overdue to come back," the male half-elf and human female of Sch'atte'ng'eist's group. Once they agreed, the Thri-Kreen's band of rouges split off to do their tasks.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, if anyone's interested in coming with me to the lake, just say hello to my character, or follow him inconspicuously

    Just to let you know Cadian, Ashela is a Rogue 1/Cleric 4.
    Exams are finished! Posting shall resume shortly.

    Sharkguard avatar done by Darth Raynn!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Stormwind's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Erin Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    I am examining your selection...however, I am also trying to find a posture and position that allows for the maximum sight range while still allowing for specific equipment to be focused on instantly, and to allow for quick changes to view things that are not particularly visible...Direna begins.
    Erin defers to the other woman who responds to the young assistant's question, as she looks around the store, but her attention is quickly drawn back to the woman as the other speaks of sighting and ranges. She awaits a pause in the woman's speech and then she smoothly adds, "I couldn't help overhearing your earlier discussion, and it being a topic of particular interest to myself, I was wondering what sort of equipment you use and whether you've found it enhances accuracy and power. I prefer a crossbow myself, having discovered that certain techniques are particulary efficient in combination with the precision and power that a crossbow can deliver."

    Spoiler
    Show
    @PersonMan: I'm happy to either RP a full discussion between Direna and Erin, or to fast-forward over the 'technical discussion', whichever you prefer. :)
    Last edited by Stormwind; 2010-12-18 at 06:30 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Direna, slightly surprised by the sudden appearance of the other, considers for a moment before replying. What are...ah, I see. You mean for ranged combat? Well, I'm currently working on most melee-based techniques, but for ranged combat...Well, the primary advantage of the crossbow is that it is easy to master-the other bows requires more effort to learn. I would prefer the bow, myself, primarily because it allows for a faster firing rate than the crossbow.

    As for increases in accuracy, I've found that apart from magical enhancements most weapons are about as accurate as one another. Power depends on the wielder, but can also be increased via magical modification.


    Spoiler
    Show
    For now we can play it out-if it gets tedious we can always skip the rest.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Stormwind's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Erin Brown

    The lithe woman with the short, dark brown hair responds,"I wouldn't say that the crossbow is easy to master, instead that it is easy to learn but it requires both time and technique to master. For instance, with the correct technique, the crossbow can easily match the bow for rate of fire in the hands of equally skilled individuals. Similarily, when applying the correct technique, I've found that precision not only affects accuracy, but also the power imparted to the shot over certain ranges."
    She pauses a moment before continuing, "... but you were speaking of close combat. There I have found maintaining ones own concentration and disrupting ones opponents concentration to be most efficient. Do you perhaps subscribe to the same thoughts?"

    The woman suddenly looks embarassed for a moment, "But I must apologise", and she extends a hand, "I'm Erin"

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kris Strife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for delays, waiting on PM responses + Christmas and family stuff.


    Kevnan walks down the ship's ramp, dark cloak pulled up over his head and armor. Taking a moment to orient himself, he uses the directions he was given to head towards the temple district. He knows that his religion doesn't have a dedicated temple as yet, but he still needs to check in with the followers that are present here. He makes note of both the fliers over head and the knight mounted on the blue dragon, but takes no other action yet. When he does arrive at the temple district, he looks for an allied church, hoping they'll be able to give him more specific directions.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Direna narrowed her eyebrows for a moment, considering the wording of the one she was speaking with.

    I disagree on your last point. Precision can allow one to better impart the same amount of power from a shot in a more efficient way, but it doesn't change the actual amount of power in the shot.

    Currently, I am developing the Technique for personal use. As such, I focus more on my own actions in combat than those of my enemies. I am currently on the brink of a breakthrough in one aspect of the Technique, so I am putting all of my effort into completing that before turning my attention to other aspects of the Technique for more than short periods of time. Direna continued, considering showing her still-incomplete record of the Technique that she was compiling. Perhaps she would be able to connect the final variables for the next phase of the nearly-completed technique that Direna was finishing?

    Direna is surprised when the women suddenly apologizes. Before she can inquire as to why, however, she reached out and Derin realized what she was doing. I am Direna. It is good to meet you, Erin. I believe that you may have the expertise necessary to aid me, I have reached a difficult point in the development of my Technique, perhaps you could help me? She asked, shaking the offered hand.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Cadian 9th's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Kard

    " I suppose you could. " Ratchet says, taking your hand. His hand is gloved with white, though you spot inkstains on it as he withdraws his hand. " Right this way, if you will. " He says, beckoning.

    Panril

    The Dark elf gives you a blank stare, then a wry smirk, writing plainly " Warrior " on his paper with an elegant quill. " May I ask what you're specifically good at? Commanding troops, tracking, ranged combat, polearm use? Perhaps the " Gish " style, or Duskblades of my high race, as they call it? "

    Kyra

    Spoiler
    Show

    You successfully sketch without incident for about half a minute until an earth shattering roar echoes some small distance away, coming closer. Your sketch is basic, not overtly detailed, and you haven't had time to sketch more than the basics and landmarkings of the area.


    Sch'atte'ng'eist

    The Inn is exactly as you expect for an Inn. It's specifically made to make Adventurer's feel at home, so you find it well equiped. However, the main room is circular and brightly lit, so it's hard to find a dark corner. That said, you all managed to meet in a room (10 gp for your whole group) that has a strong, thick door and adequate storage area. It's got few places to hide in as well, adding extra security.

    Your action proceed as you wished, without interruptions. The streets are as usual well packed but the crowds later in the afternoon consist less of freshmen and more of veterans. You spot a dead knight on his horse led by another grim human knight on horseback, dour expression telling a tale of woe. The dead knight has huge scratches that rent his armor, as well as warped areas of his figure, as if the cuts rent not only the armor but reality itself.

    Direna and Erin

    In response to your first question, the salesperson girl looks slightly puzzled, but manages to keep up. " I know the difference between a Guisarme and a Billhook, a Spiked Chain and a Drow chain, but I haven't heard such language since I attended fighter academy back in Thay. And that was from a veteran who was staying the night... " She said. " Can't think of his name, but he was handsome, talented and more... I'm afraid that we aren't in the business of Magical equipment, but I can show you this exotic weapon that seems to have what you seek... Allow me to go and get it. "

    Spoiler
    Show

    This happens before you talk too much, so she comes back after your next posts with the weapon.


    Kevnan

    Walking towards the shrines of good, Kevnan spots a good few attractions - coming down to afternoon, he can see the veterans returning from expeditions - You spot a dead knight on his horse led by another grim human knight on horseback, dour expression telling a tale of woe. The dead knight has huge scratches that rent his armor, as well as warped areas of his figure, as if the cuts rent not only the armor but reality itself.

    Curiously, however, you chance upon - no, you find yourself, bumping into none other than a Half Silver Dragon, lightly armoured with a bow and two rapiers... Noble features and, perhaps by fate, the symbol of Bahamut upon his breast. He eyes you with a wide admiration...

    All
    Spoiler
    Show

    That's all for now, folks... Gotta go.
    Awesome Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins!

    Retired from active duty

    It means I am rarely on this site anymore. It's been an honor serving with you all.


    PEACH

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Satisfied with her sketch and worried for her own safety Kyra darts off towards the city. I hope I can make it to that city safely. Kyra heads directly for the city now, only detouring enough to avoid the threatening sound in the distance. As she gets closer she draws puts her hair up in a twist and pulls the hood of her cloak up. Kyra does her best to shrink back into the hood to make her features harder to distinguish, one never knows who or what inhabits the city ahead.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kris Strife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Kevnan smiles and turns to face his fellow half dragon, lowering the hood of his cloak as he does so. "My name is Kevnan, I've just arrived and need to speak with the local leader of Bahamut's followers. I was told he was somewhere in the temple district, but they didn't give me a more exact location. Would you be able to help?"

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Starsign's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Sch'atte'ng'eist

    As Sch'atte'ng'eist and Ashela came upon the knight, the Thri-Kreen took a study at the dead one while Ashela conversed with the mourning one. "Oh come now," she began to get the knight's attention. "What tragedy had befallen your comrade? You must have gone quite a ways for death such as that to occur." Neither Sch'atte'ng'eist or Ashela had seen something like this before.

    The Thri-Kreen took a close look at the warped cuts, which looked out of this continent from what he had seen. He took a rock nearby and touched one of the warped areas with it, to see if there was a reaction. "What caused these wounds...?" he asked himself.
    Exams are finished! Posting shall resume shortly.

    Sharkguard avatar done by Darth Raynn!

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sucrose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midwest U.S.

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Kard nods happily, and follows after Ratchet.

    "Glad to hear that, sir."


    Soon, very soon, one of the finest information networks of this continent would be at his fingertips...
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

    Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show



  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Stormwind's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Erin Brown

    Responding first to the initial point under discussion, Erin states simply "I hold a different opinion there, as I have found that precision can affect not only the accuracy of the shot, with proper training, it can in fact also increase the amount of damage you do."

    In response to Direna's request she nods with a smile, "Of course, I would be happy to help, and if nothing else, a reliable sparring partner would not go amiss. I had thought to visit the mercenary guild and perhaps find a place to sleep. If you would care to accompany me perhaps we might manage some time for sparring and discussion after that?"

    As the salesgirl returns, Erin eyes not only the weapon, but the girl too, attempting to assess her knowledge of weapons and their use.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Direna nods. If you mean damage, yes. As I said, the actual power of the shot is unchanged, but a more efficient application allows it to deal more damage.

    I will accompany you. I don't actually have a place to sleep myself, securing one now is probably better than doing so once it gets dark. Direna says, nodding again. It would be good if she could finally make some progress. This one aspect of the technique was crucial, and once she got ahold of it Direna would be able to fight much more efficiently.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Cadian 9th's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Kyra

    You enter the city gates which are guarded by a human and an ogre. They're not there to stop you from coming in, it seems, and they pay no further attention to you once they ascetain that you are not an eldritch abomination.

    Entering the city at sundown, you see the streets of the city that are starting to settle down and only the jungle veterans are returning. A few minutes of walking past closed shops and open taverns/inns and you chance upon a dead knight on a horse, armor rent by huge strokes that seem to have warped reality as they hit, lead by a live knight on horse being questioned by a Thri-keen.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's Starsign's character. You can move past if you like, the'res an Inn ahead that you can rest the night in, adventurer specific.


    Kevnan

    The other Half Dragon shakes his head. " My name is Cedric Lance. "

    " You were misinformed, it seems. There is no leader at the moment. I know of 6 other followers of Bahamut - 2 of the Dragonborn, 2 humans, and 1 elf and 1 half - elf. And Kit, the Halfling. " He says, adding with a smile. " I can take you to our meeting place. It's more of a temporary one, in the main Inn.

    " Tiamat's forces are here. " He whispers.

    Ahsela and Sch'atte'ng'eist ( And Kyra)

    The knight looks at you for a second. " There be weird creatures out there. This one towered above us both - we fought best we can yet the beast got a lucky hit on Edmund there and that was the end of him. It rent his armor like 'twas nought but sand... " He says.

    " This is by far the deadliest we've encountered. It seems to roar like nothing else, and the other animals flee from 't no matter where they stand. "

    While the knight looks away, Sch'atte'ng'eist touches the wound with a rock. The rock shows no adverse effects, except for a mild discoloration (Yellowish) where the rock touched the rent armor.

    OOC: Sleight of hand check, Sch'atte'ng'eist, if you don't want the knight to notice.

    Kard

    Following Ratchet into the Blue Lily guild house, you see several blue glowing orbs working away at large shelves, seemingly guarding those weighty tomes. A couple of display cabinets show off replicas of some artifacts: here, a warped skull, there, a huge, long thin bladed fullblade with a serrated hilt and a second handle up about halfway up the blade. A helmet looking like it's made for an animal.

    You arrive, following Ratchet, to an office. Before you enter, a Gnomish scholar wizard begins checking you. One of the Blue orbs flies over and hovers abit above your shoulder. " A magical examination. " Ratchet says.

    Erin and Direna

    The assistant returns holding a long, exotic crossbow in one hand, just above the stock where the trigger is. The Crossbow is elegant, with a grooved bolt holder, reinforced metal on the bow part - the string is wound, flexible metal. Most interesting of all, the crossbow has a twin set of blades mounted on the front. It also has a unique lever reload system, but most impressive is the telescopic sight and leather hand grips.

    " This is a Crossbow sold to us by a Gnome wizard - It's a crossbow, obviously, but here, heft it. It's light, handy in a fight, steady and has extreme range. " She says. " I have other exotics, if you'd care to see them. I'll wait until you're satisfied with this one, first. " She says with a smile.
    Last edited by Cadian 9th; 2011-01-12 at 08:41 PM.
    Awesome Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins!

    Retired from active duty

    It means I am rarely on this site anymore. It's been an honor serving with you all.


    PEACH

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Kyra stops and watches the Thri-kreen from a short distance away. She is curious as to what he is doing. She hears the knight explain what happened. I wonder if that is the beast I heard earlier. If so I'm happy I got out of there when I did or I'd be just like that rent fellow.Yes. Yes. But how does any of this help us with what we came for? Lets go go go!Some days little one you can be most bothersome. If we are going to continue to search this land we need to find out what we are facing. A few friends to travel with may not be a bad idea either.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Does Kyra notice the rock or do I need to make a spot/search check? I'm not actually up in the conversation, I'm directly watching the injured/dead knight and Thri-kreen.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Starsign's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Sch'atte'ng'eist

    The Thri-Kreen did his best to not look suspicious while he "sampled" the warped wound with the rock. Ashela, in attempt to assist him, tried distracting the knight with her charm. "How close by was this monster?" she asked, trying to convey some more info in the process. "I would doubt such a monster would kill your friend here at this place. How far was it that the two of you found and got attacked?" She gave a wink and inched closer to the knight. Sch'atte'ng'eist in the meantime turned around after examining. "Company..." he quietly said to Ashela, who was still busy distracting the knight. The Thri-Kreen turned to the dead knight and asked the new person. "Do you know what caused these wounds?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll make a Slight of Hand check: (1d20+6)[22]
    Ashela (who has 16 Cha) makes a Charisma check to keep the knight distracted: (1d20+3)[5]
    Exams are finished! Posting shall resume shortly.

    Sharkguard avatar done by Darth Raynn!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sucrose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midwest U.S.

    Default Re: West Marches IC

    Kard looks around the museum appreciatively, then strikes a jaunty pose and offers the wizard a friendly smile.

    "I suppose that's fair enough. Will I need to remove my boots?"


    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Bardic Knowledge - (1d20+9)[29] (for any information concerning the artifacts these items are replicas of.)
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

    Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show



  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Stormwind's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Erin Brown

    Erin examines the crossbow carefully testing heft, balance and weight before turning to look at the salesgirl, "What's the maximum range on this? 1000ft?"

    As she listens to the woman, she offers the crossbow to Direna if her companion is interested in examining it also.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •