New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Clan McWinchester

This is something that my DnD group have come up with. It is my Half-Ogre's human extended family. They hold a warm enough place in my heart I felt the need to share, and I wanted to know if other players have had similar things develop in the midst of their campaigns?

Spoiler
    Show
    The McWinchester Template
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is an inherited Template that can only be applied to a Human related creature, including Half-Human creatures, hereafter referred to as the base creature.
    Type: The Base Creature's type remains the same.
    Special Qualities: Heart of Beer - All Mcwinchesters gain a +4 on all fortitude saves
    Alchohol Dependance - 24 hours without alchohol will result in a -2 on all dexterity based checks and skill checks, as the Mcwinchester becomes tipsy from withdrawal. 48 hours without Alchohol results in an additional -2 on desterity as welll as -2 on wisdom and charisma, as the withdrawal becomes worse. after 72 hours without alchohol, the Mcwinchester enters a state of rage, gaining +4 to strength and constitution while taking a -2 to AC. they single-mindedly pursue the closest perceived location of alchohol, stopping only to sleep, eat, relieve themselves, and kill. These effects immediately disappear upon consumption of 2 pints of any alchoholic beverage per level
    Abilities: -1 Charisma

The McWinchester Family
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some four hundred eighty years ago, there was a man. This man's name was Greggory McWinchester. An adventurer by trade, his greatest aspiration was to see the world, and so he left home at an early age to begin his surprisingly eventful life. He joined an adventuring company, who saw him as their slightly taciturn destruction machine.

However, they eventually gained the ire of a wizard named Malicanthus. His great hate was Greggory and his love of drink and destruction, particularly after they destroyed his home. And so he laid a curse upon Greggory - forevermore he and his descendants would be dependant on alchohol, or devolve into madness.

The curse has persisted, and has had a side-effect; All of the McWinchesters have developed a strong tolerance for alchohol, which comes over to other poisons as well. However, because of how much they tend to drink, this does not stop them from suffering from alchohol poisoning. indeed the McWinchesters see dying of Alchohol poisoning as a noble demise.

Because of the virility of Greggory McWinchester, his seed has spread to many corners of the globe - all McWinchesters share a love for exploration, fine spirits, destroying things, and various forms of booze. all in all, there are about 1600 members of the McWinchester family, and nearly every one of them knows the others. Rare is the black sheep born without the customary alchohol dependancy and love for adventure. they also share a disregard for the race of another when determining whether they would make a good partner - as the surprisingly high number of half-breed McWinchesters prove. Many female McWinchesters outright refuse to give up their name when marrying another, as it keeps them connected to the rest of their surprisingly extended family. Many McWinchesters know about relatives living on the other side of the continent, and many will travel for days to see the wedding or birth of a McWinchester that they likely have never even seen. Thus, grand influxes of up to four hundred McWinchesters are not unheard of in relatively short spans.

Nearly every McWinchester in the world has adventurer levels. Nearly all are either fighters or barbarians, but a few have developed sorcerous powers to support their love of destruction.

McWincheston, Village of Adventurers
    Spoiler
    Show
    A small village near the middle of the continent, McWincheston has only 30 permanent residents, but its place as a nexus point for all McWinchesters means that there is rarely less that one hundred and twenty people there the only services to be found here are blacksmiths and taverns, and a single church dedicated to keeping the family from killing themselves through too much drink, despite the epic and unreachable goal this is.

McWinchesters gather here to give birth, get married, and find others of their family to talk to and learn the latest news about the rest of the family from. after such an occassion, there is agrand feast where many drink nearly half their weight in spirits, falling into hangovers for the next few days. There are always a few who do not wake up from such revelry.

These celebrations also have the unfortunate tendency to drain McWincheston of all alcohol, and the residents unable to move far enough to gather more. This distresses the nearby Kingdoms, who view the McWinchester clan as a troublesome people with the tendency to spontaneously become an army and proceed on a rampage when left without something to drink. Many consider the McWinchesters to be a natural disaster - you cannot stop them. you cannot defeat them. Your only choice is to either send them enough drink to satisfy the the populace after one of these celebrations - a daunting task that drains every brewery within the region - or, when they come charging like madmen towards your city to open the gate, evacuate the people, and hope the do little property damage. often, when a monarch follows these steps, the only thing lost is the structural integrity and the stock of the local taverns.
    Last edited by Halae; 2010-12-04 at 08:02 AM.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Clan McWinchester

I'm curious what penalties you have for being drunk though... because the 'sober penalties' seem to be worse than what I would think drunk penalties should be.

Also, with a blood lust that large, and dependency/tenancy to binge drink themselves to death, I'm surprised how a family of adventurers could thrive so strongly...

Also, why wouldn't a threaten kingdom just slaughter McWincheston when they're unconscious in a state of being hung over? Ale was a lot stronger back then than it is now. A single vacuum cleaner can nearly defeat an entire dormitory of most college/university students some weekend mornings.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Clan McWinchester

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
    I'm curious what penalties you have for being drunk though... because the 'sober penalties' seem to be worse than what I would think drunk penalties should be.

Also, with a blood lust that large, and dependency/tenancy to binge drink themselves to death, I'm surprised how a family of adventurers could thrive so strongly...

Also, why wouldn't a threaten kingdom just slaughter McWincheston when they're unconscious in a state of being hung over? Ale was a lot stronger back then than it is now. A single vacuum cleaner can nearly defeat an entire dormitory of most college/university students some weekend mornings.
    That's another reason why most McWinchesters have melee class levels - they need the bonus to Fort saves. we go by the rules in the Arms and Equipment guide, so the +4 against drunkenness is a pretty big boost, especially on top of the something like +7 they have otherwise. that, and the fact that most McWinchesters space out their drinking except when in revelry, so that they don't become drunk enough to be damaging. beyond that, it's mostly just for kicks - I like the idea of a character who's so dependant on spirits he carries around a keg that has a hose attached to his mouth

We were suprised to hear it when my previous character was apparently so strongly integrated into the world, but it really does make sense, as he essentially screwed anything he could seduce and broke everything he couldn't. The number of high-level adventurers in the Mcwinchester clan as well as the "McWinchester family Tavern" that can be found in almost every major settlement means that they're mercenaries that you can offer beer and gold and they'll go a-slaughterin'

Ah yes, but as I mentioned before, the McWinchesters have such a grandly built up tolerance that they have amazing bonuses against poisons. That... and low wisdom scores, generally. by RAW in the A&EG, this means they wake up fairly quickly. on top of that, these are high level adventurers we're talking about. not every one of them attaneds these meetings, and when the others got wind of what happened, they go on a destructive rampage through the offending country. on top of that, these gatherings are a little spontaneous. given the fact that many of them can afford transportation magic, many of the McWinchesters who arrive for the gatherings do so within 2 or 3 days of the actual event - not enough time for a nearby kingdom to prepare any real sort of opposition unless they have spies within the McWinchesters, and, since they are generally good aligned, does't happen often to begin with

EDIT: oh, and I just realized I'd put it as a fort save just against poisons. actually, it's just a flat fort bonus. whoops. I'll change that. I was talking with a buddy at the time and we were determining which one was more reasonable. evidently, my brain doesn't like to function all the way through in what we had decided
    Last edited by Halae; 2010-12-04 at 07:52 AM.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.