New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: World, Cup (OotS-style Fantasy)

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Or do i
    'how a lame page' isn't a proper sentence. At all.

'how' tends to refer to methods or degrees of an adjective, whereas you used it to refer to a noun (page), in which case it would be 'what'.

Grammar is very important to the Nazi Party.

That is a joke.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-03-21 at 02:59 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    'how a lame page' isn't a proper sentence. At all.

'how' tends to refer to methods or degrees of an adjective, whereas you used it to refer to a noun (page), in which case it would be 'what'.

Grammar is very important to the Nazi Party.

That is a joke.
    Or is that what they want you to think
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Or is that what they want you to think
    DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN NO.

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN NO.
    Are you sure
    Is that your final answer
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm kind of caught in the middle here (not that this is any of my business) since I'm a pedant and a language student but...

Ninjaman's location is listed as Denmark - given that a few Playgrounders post in English (because that's the language of the site's host) despite it not being their first language and Ninjaman's grammatical errors strike me as the sort I tend to make when trying to speak or write French/German/Swedish (my point is just about understandable but I've got the grammar badly wrong, sometimes that mangles the statement beyond belief, and sometimes it's not too tricky to extrapolate what I meant) I'd guess Ninjaman's Danish-Danish. If Ninjaman is Danish then chances are English isn't his first language but his English is more impressive than most native English speakers' Danish would be. I kind of feel that foreign language speakers should get a little bit of slack when it comes to pedantry - although if I were posting in a French forum I'd want my grammar corrected because I'm learning it academically, if it was just a recreational thing I might be content at just getting my point across...

But yeah, I did kind of wince at how gramatically unsound that was because I'm a big ol' hypocrite. Also, I hope it *is* his final answer because I didn't intentionally tune into "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?"

Er... that's not really about "World, Cup", is it?

Are any of the party members grammar pedants? Izzie strikes me as a likely one, and the not-rogue and Lysandra and th- most of the party do really with the possible exception of the Paladin.
    Also, I get that there's a demonic language of some sort which the Tiefling Monk probably knows as well as common and there's elven/elvish and common, but is there a Minotaur language? What would you call that? (I guess google could tell me, or the rules site that somebody on this very thread helpfully linked me to, but I'm trying to steer us obnoxiously back on course here).
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eleanor: Word.

That hair thing was pretty clever. Let's go with that. I really should have got the 'huge' thing, on closer though. Too bad I didn't think that closely about it. <_< >_>

I promise the lack of repercussions will only be slightly handwaved.

Ninjaman & Tangible:
    "How lame a page" would be a proper... uh, probably not a sentence, but at least it'd be a proper fraction. Dammit, I really need to start learning grammatical rules. >.>

Eleanor again:
    I'm from Sweden, but I have to say that being from Denmark is a perfect excuse for any language errors ever.

Actually, everyone in the party is a language nazi. They just don't all go to the same lengths enforcing grammar. Not that this is likely to ever become relevant, unless other, less eloquent (or less angry) players join them at the table.

Minotaurs in DnD normally speak 'Giant'. In this particular setting, though (I've been trying to avoid giving out important/relevant/interesting background info in the thread, but I guess this isn't any of those things...) the languages aren't the same - there's one language for each major nation, a hideous pidgin language with two very different dialects spoken by the barbarians of the east and west, a couple of ancient/dead languages, and a few types of "scholarly" speech (Draconic, Classic Arcana, High Elven). There are no racial languages, no celestial or demonic languages and there's no druidic language.
    I don't mean to brag - it just sort of happens.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Are you sure
    Is that your final answer
    hmmm ... Yes.

@Elenor: I'm not trying to be mean =( just saying. And then making a massive joke out of it...

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #188

Ooh languagey background material. (Yes, I am a nerd.)

I find it amusing that the Swedish lecturer from my university is married to the Danish lecturer. Y'all have a fair bit of infighting/ "racist" jokes but then Britain's like that too I guess (as the comic you linked to indicates (Scotland is heinously underrepresented but the English/British one is usually about right for the majority of the UK as a whole, just especially true of England so I'll accept it). This is what comes of being countries with a lot of "history", I guess.

(I realised the "spat" was pretty much all in fun but it looked like it might have kept going for a while... so I decided to wade on in there like the busybody I be sorry, am)

As far as the whole party being pedants/ grammar nazis... well, they've not corrected a lot of grammar but they all seem to bear at least some of the typical traits of the grammar nazis (chief amongst these are pedantry (how does the flail work???) and snarkyness(most of the time anyone says anything!) so I can't say I'm surprised.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

That may just be my English failing me - I know there are a few mistakes (though I think "but seriously, though" is going to be Hades' new catchphrase >.>) but there aren't that many, are there?

I might add that no one in this group would ever make the mistake of correcting the DM's grammar.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor_Rigby View Post
    I'm kind of caught in the middle here (not that this is any of my business) since I'm a pedant and a language student but...

Ninjaman's location is listed as Denmark - given that a few Playgrounders post in English (because that's the language of the site's host) despite it not being their first language and Ninjaman's grammatical errors strike me as the sort I tend to make when trying to speak or write French/German/Swedish (my point is just about understandable but I've got the grammar badly wrong, sometimes that mangles the statement beyond belief, and sometimes it's not too tricky to extrapolate what I meant) I'd guess Ninjaman's Danish-Danish. If Ninjaman is Danish then chances are English isn't his first language but his English is more impressive than most native English speakers' Danish would be. I kind of feel that foreign language speakers should get a little bit of slack when it comes to pedantry - although if I were posting in a French forum I'd want my grammar corrected because I'm learning it academically, if it was just a recreational thing I might be content at just getting my point across...

But yeah, I did kind of wince at how gramatically unsound that was because I'm a big ol' hypocrite. Also, I hope it *is* his final answer because I didn't intentionally tune into "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?"

Er... that's not really about "World, Cup", is it?

Are any of the party members grammar pedants? Izzie strikes me as a likely one, and the not-rogue and Lysandra and th- most of the party do really with the possible exception of the Paladin.
    Also, I get that there's a demonic language of some sort which the Tiefling Monk probably knows as well as common and there's elven/elvish and common, but is there a Minotaur language? What would you call that? (I guess google could tell me, or the rules site that somebody on this very thread helpfully linked me to, but I'm trying to steer us obnoxiously back on course here).
    Your signature said you could do stuff like this
    Now i know what a pain in the ass you can be

Also i know that it should be "what a lame page" that one just slipped.
    And i got a habbit that every time someone corrects me i just pretend like that was the point from the start.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now, that's just plain rude.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M@XWeru View Post
    Now, that's just plain rude.
    Who
    Me

I changed to photobucket long ago and i forgot to give you my fan art picture in better resolution. So here it is
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2011-04-02 at 01:39 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

I bet you thought I wasn't coming back, but you were wrong!

...I wasn't really planning on it taking this long, however.

Page 22:
    Spoiler
    Show

I even went and edited the last pages into the first post, and replaced Ninjaman's old fanart picture with the new one. Whew, I've been busy today!

Aw, man... I still didn't get it all right. Grr, this time I think I'll actually edit the page. That speech bubble in the first panel is supposed to be a thought bubble, of course.
    Last edited by M@XWeru; 2011-07-20 at 10:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay it´s back. Shouldn´t the ninja say Who also happen to be ninjas.
    Also why didn´t you update, or even post, for so long.
    Again nice page, glad that it is back.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Nice page!
    Despite everything, its still me.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yay it´s back. Shouldn´t the ninja say Who also happen to be ninjas.
    Also why didn´t you update, or even post, for so long.
    Again nice page, glad that it is back.
    Actually, in Japanese, pluralization doesn't work like that, so it's about as accurate as using, say, 'cacti' instead of 'cactuses'. This usually annoys people who use 'cacti', which in turn makes me happy.

I didn't post because I've lately been incredibly busy with... well, everything.

17. - Top - End - #197

Actually, in Japanese, pluralization doesn't work like that, so it's about as accurate as using, say, 'cacti' instead of 'cactuses'. This usually annoys people who use 'cacti', which in turn makes me happy.I didn't post because I've lately been incredibly busy with... well, everything.
    whort, so this is like the whole "octopodes" gig then?

Liking the new page very much, although I've gotta admit I don't understand precisely what's happening in the last panel with Lyssandra in it. Katana/sword, plus upward pointing arrow, plus the head of an ass?

My favourite ninja would probably have to be the kobold-esque one.
    I was kinda hoping your page for Round Robin meant that World, Cup might be back soon. I was sssorta riiight, yeah?

NB: You may wanna rinse out a bit of the profanity from the dialogue just to stay on the nice side of the forum guidelines [/pokin' my nose into business of others]
    Current avatar by Zefir

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's related (though I personally use the English pluralization for everything).

In the panel with Lysara, the head is there because I couldn't fit the whole donkey in the picture. It was meant to be read as 'sword up ass'. The first attempt was rather more graphical, but that didn't really seem appropriate.

My favourite ninja is the one with the spear. I love rice hats.

And I was kind of hoping World, Cup would be back too. I also hope I'll be able to think of a better title before the next thread. Not that I'm in any hurry.

Edit: Uh, apparently one of the words I used in that last comic page was offensive and earned me an infraction. While I'm looking into exactly what word that is, I'm breaking the link until such a time as I can rub that one word out.
    Last edited by M@XWeru; 2011-05-20 at 01:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M@XWeru
    In the panel with Lysara, the head is there because I couldn't fit the whole donkey in the picture. It was meant to be read as 'sword up ass'. The first attempt was rather more graphical, but that didn't really seem appropriate.
    Honestly? I called that as soon as I had seen it.

Also... What's with the pirate and the zombie? I mean, should we expect robots (Warning: TVTropes-Link) soon, what with them being in that particular order?

Anywho, good to see you're back. This is as awesome as ever.

I have to ask, though - what's with paladin-guy's perpetual smile? That borders on the terrifying, there.
    Last edited by Worlok; 2011-05-20 at 06:48 PM. Reason: What? It does.

20. - Top - End - #200

Yeeeaaaah... I was pretty sure that was what it meant it just struck me as... unusual? The question was mostly tongue-in-cheek but I've got this kind of thing completely back to front in the past, so...
    Also my old-woman-like-sensibilities were shaken by such graphic threats. Kinda. Sorta. Let's pretend they were.
    I kinda imagined the "speaker" to be somesort of Ancient Egyptian style character (in the Asterix comics, for example, all such characters speak in images, although I believe those were read left to right instead of bottom to top).

As for Paladin-Guy's perpetual smile being scary? I just find the dude creepy full stop. But in a funny way. The constantly visible teeth is a big part of it though. Bet they're still visible in pitch darkness.
    Current avatar by Zefir

21. - Top - End - #201
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor_Rigby
    Yeeeaaaah... I was pretty sure that was what it meant it just struck me as... unusual? The question was mostly tongue-in-cheek but I've got this kind of thing completely back to front in the past, so...
    Also my old-woman-like-sensibilities were shaken by such graphic threats. Kinda. Sorta. Let's pretend they were.
    It's alright. That way of handling insults is not thaaat common.

Then again, I knew that kind of image-bubble thingfrom that Spanish comic with the secret agents ("Clever & Smart" in Germany, I think in English they're called "Mort & Phil"), where it's usually used for insults. Meaning it's used almost constantly. So yeah, I may not have been entirely unprepared. Pretension accomplished.

I kinda imagined the "speaker" to be somesort of Ancient Egyptian style character (in the Asterix comics, for example, all such characters speak in images, although I believe those were read left to right instead of bottom to top).
    Wasn't there one scene (or rather, sidegag) in one of the comics were this bunch of people from various provinces visits the Colosseum and the tour guide changes font five times in the same speech bubble to indicate that he's adressing them in their respective languages? I think one of the "fonts" even was that Egyptian-images-thing. (Which reminds me: I haven't read an Asterix comic in years now. Shame on me!)

Bet they're still visible in pitch darkness.
    Paladins - Making you see the light one way or another. But seriously - That would really make him even creepier.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Worlok:
    There may be robots...

Thank you, I try. :P

As for the smile, it's to make it obvious to everyone that he's the hero of the story. Couldn't you tell? ;J

Rigby:
    The speaker is the samurai girl from before. Though I suppose the inclusion of several other characters with eastern swords of various kinds might have served to make that less obvious.

And as for the teeth? Hells yeah - casting any [Light] spell of 2nd level or higher in range of them blinds everyone within sight. No save.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, another page! I'm on a roll now!

No profanities this time, I promise.

Page 23: Another Flaw in His Plan
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome page.Like the ogre
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #205

you comics still awe... ehm, i mean amazing!
    hm, those spots on the face services are branded, ie, they are slaves, or where the women grow beards?
    link to my comic look at spoiler -Update 30.4.13

if you did not understand my contribution - to the cursed Google Talk (and my inability to learn foreign languages)
    Notice - if you lost PonyTars made by me, look here - >
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/Akrim13/PonyAvatars/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ24

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ninjaman:
    Thank you.

Akrim:
    It's a brand - the servants are all slaves. That's not a woman, however - he doesn't have the curvy body shape.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

...I have a new favorite comic.
    This is HILARIOUS.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    ...I have a new favorite comic.
    This is HILARIOUS.
    I can only agree.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Woo! A new reader.

In celebration, I slapped another sketch on the first page. =D How lucky that I was drawing it as I saw these last posts.

30. - Top - End - #210

Woo! A new reader.

In celebration, I slapped another sketch on the first page. =D How lucky that I was drawing it as I saw these last posts.
    Sumo-sumo-ogre! Huzzah! (I've never met a sumo who didn't say "Huzzah!", have you?)

As for the most recent page itself, I have to admit, I found those last three panels bizarrely... adorable.
    I think it's just the way he peeps out of there from nowhere. Plus, rampaging beast though he is, I think I'm still bearing in mind here that your bog-standard minotaur has the head of a bull. Has anyone seen the eyes and lashes on those things?
    [does a google image search on Jersey cows to prove her point]
    ...huh. On second thoughts I kinda see why that might also be fairly unsettling.
    Current avatar by Zefir