New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

Hurray, status!

Glass Mouse passes with regular comics, plus a sheet with 15 smaller character drawings.

Lazy Genius, if you aren't back this week, I'm deleting you.

Mad Mask passes with six different drawings of both characters and anatomi studies.

Lil Shiro uploaded two poems (an athmosphere and an emotional).

Thus, Lil Shiro FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse and Mad Mask both PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Glass Mouse
    Current run: 51 weeks
    Longest run: -

Lazy Genius
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 3 weeks

Mad Mask
    Current run: 10 weeks

Lil Shiro
    Longest run: 2 weeks

Is anyone using the themes anymore? I know I'd like to, and sometimes I sneak them in, but I rarely manage it. So... Should we continue the theme thing or call it dead? I'd personally like it to live, but it needs more than me.

If it lives, it's Lil Shiro's turn to choose a theme

@Lil Shiro: Okay, that's really, really cool! I wish I'd thought of that when I was in high school.
    But what's up with this week? Your dean is gonna be so disappointed in you

Regarding my own CHALLENGE contribution this week, it'll be up on DA soon. For now it's here (and huge), if anyone wants proof.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Orc in the Playground

Deleting me is absolutely fair. So far I've only got a brainstorm about basic things, and I don't think I'll get any further soon. When I have something, I'll post it here regardless of it being enough for the week.
    Last edited by Lazy Genius; 2011-10-17 at 09:54 AM.
    "Don't give the Dungeon Master any ideas"
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup"
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

I haven't actually started my mastery project yet. I still am working on the proposal. Sorry. I'll pick myself up, don't worry. I always do.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

4. - Top - End - #274

Oh and the theme is taint, as I am planning on writing a poem with it.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately, it seems I won't make it this time. So long, nine week streak!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

From the wintery depths of October arise a status!

Glass Mouse passes with regular comics and assorted drawings, including a Tainted from my comic.

Mad Mask didn't upload anything. Aw. Are you trying again, Mad?

Lil Shiro uploaded three poems of different themes.

Thus, Mad Mask and Lil Shiro FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse PASSES this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Glass Mouse
    Current run: 52 weeks

Lazy Genius

Mad Mask
    Longest run: 10 weeks

Lil Shiro

It's my turn to choose a theme, and I say Halloween ('tis the season).

Okay, guys! Reflection time: for some weeks now (ever since IE quit), I've been thinking about quitting once I got to 52 weeks. It's a nice, round number, and I've had massive creative fatigue for a few months now.
    But then... the CHALLENGE is the reason I actually sit down and draw outside of my comic. No matter what, it keeps me drawing and pushing forward, and well... I love drawing. I think I'd really miss the incentive to draw extra if I didn't have the CHALLENGE - even if the actual works aren't always spectacular.
    So, I'm staying at it, come hell or high water

HOWEVER - for the first time since I entered - we're down to only one person passing, and if I have to run alone, I won't involve the Playground. So, guys - are you still in this? Is anyone serious about keeping it up?
    Intentions and future promises are fine (though actual participation would be awesome). I just need some confirmation that this won't turn into the "look how much Glass Mouse can draw" thread
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

By the end of the week, I'll have finished my first round of exams of university, and I might be inspired to make a random scene long enough for a pass all by itself, completely separate of anything, but it'll get my creative juices flowing, and it'll be somewhat of a warm-up for upcoming weeks. I've been running a bit short on creative juice, and what with me moving into my own place and all, it's been kind of busy and I haven't seen a lot of screen-time (haha, get it, computerscreen ), but this might change as I'm making final changes to my room, adding final pieces of furniture (like a couch or a fridge, pretty essential), and getting used to calling it 'home'.

In short, next week I'll probably have something (hopefully continuing on from there), chances are slim I'll have something before that.
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup"
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

8. - Top - End - #278

I'm still in, but I'm gonna take a break until I get my mastery project approved.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm really glad you guys want to keep at it!

Glass Mouse passes with regular comics, some writing and a Halloween-costume drawing.

Mad Mask didn't upload anything. I'm deleting you if I hear nothing.

Lil Shiro is on standby for now.

Lazy Genius is back in from next week.

Thus, Mad Mask FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse PASSES this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Glass Mouse
    Current run: 53 weeks

Lazy Genius

Mad Mask

Lil Shiro

Since Mad Mask is in silence mode, it's Lil Shiro's turn to choose a theme

@Lazy Genius: Looking forward to seeing something from your hand again. Also, congrats on the new home. It's wonderful and scary, isn't it?

@Lil Shiro: Can I please have a date of your return? Just an approximation is fine.

Wait.

This is turning into a writer's challenge. Well, if you can't beat 'em....! I'm making at least one writing contribution every week of november. Never let it be said that I didn't give in to peer pressure, haha

Let's get some writing done, people!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, I ran into some creative confusion lately. I'm not out though! I'll be participating into NaNoWriMo, and as such should easily be able to pass the Challenge for the rest of November.

11. - Top - End - #281

Well, since NaNoWriMo is starting and I have to write anyways I will probably start again this week or next week.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome, both of you! I wish I had the time to do NaNoWriMo without stressing myself out completely. Some day.....!

Also, Mad Mask, since you're back, and Lil Shiro didn't give a theme, you can still throw in a theme for this week.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

13. - Top - End - #283

Taboo. Our theme is taboo.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Haha, nice. Pretty interesting theme, actually

Mad Mask, you get next week.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

15. - Top - End - #285
    Orc in the Playground

So, I've been having trouble the entire week, but now I'm inspired. I know it's a little late, but I've written the story premise of my prospective book, and I've gotten started on the prologue/intro story.

I'll post the story premise here for now, and put it all up here as it comes along, which will hopefully happen before the deadline this week.

Spoiler
    Show
    Basic story idea:

Glen has wolf-empathy; this is part of a magical adaptation of a long line of ‘were-speakers’. It manifests slowly and rather late while growing up, and can skip a generation (sometimes more than one), but it’s always the same animal and there’s a very specific challenge-based hierarchy in the system. At the age of 25, this is fully manifested and the people become full-fledged lycanthropes for the rest of their lives. In the family, every generation only ever has on living were-speaker. This usually ends as every generation only ever has one, and sometimes, people never know who it is. Everyone in the family has basic empathic powers, but people who die before 25 never show much stronger symptoms before the eventually fully controlled and willing lycanthropy.

The way the animal looks is not affected by what the people look like in the slightest, only how they act and what they think seeps through and has influence. For example, someone who is a regal but self-possessed were-elephant, will have dark, almost infernal look, but very fair and smooth hide. Someone who is very kind and selfless but modest and with a low self-esteem being a were-eagle, will have a worn look, but with a brilliant, subtly shining white feathers, only noticed upon close inspection. This way, people who are selfish and at heart bad people will be quickly uncovered and properly watched after and eventually, if need be, dealt with.

For the several generations, the rule has been by some very bad people, and the ones that are good at heart have been oppressed ever since. There is a prophesy that speaks of an animal with white fur and golden eyes that will eventually overthrow the bad ruler and begin a new era of peace. Because of this prophesy, the current ruler, a were-raven, has had every lycanthrope that has a furry form killed. This prophecy is about Glen, the currently only living were-wolf, but Glen’s lycanthropy has come from his grandfather who died before the age of 25, and thus he and his tribe never knew of this.

words: 349

Please, do tell me honestly what you think of this idea.

Edit: Aaand, instead of a prologue (which is incomplete as of yet, but contrary to the below, is written in 1st person), I give you the start of chapter 1:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chapter 1

The buffalo seemed so innocent, grazing by the riverside. The scene seemed so peaceful, except that there were hunters on either side of the water, in several different bushes. Some were armed with bows, some with spears and clubs, and one with what looked like a rather large knife he wielded clumsily. Of course, like any good hunter, none of these hidden deathtraps made a noise to alarm the buffalo, who just stood there minding its own business. The clearing he was eating his lunch at was almost like any other clearing; it held some moss, more grass, and some random fallen leaves that started the season early. It wasn’t very large, and it wasn’t very deep into the woods. On one side there were trees ended even in sight of the buffalo, where plains started that was the normal habitat for it and its herd.
    The hunters slowly crept closer, and were desperate for this particular kill, as they had gone too far from their town to go out on another hunting trip this day, as they hadn’t been able to find anything else anywhere else. Their tribe had been expanding rapidly the last few years, and game wasn’t increasing, so the tribe elders were looking into migrating with increasing urgency as of late. But this wasn’t a direct worry for the armed huntsmen at the moment; they were engaged and had committed to a kill. Suddenly, the buffalo looked up and looked one of the hunters directly in the eyes. This seemed impossible, as said hunter was half hidden behind the tree several paces away. The huntsmen, at that moment, stood still as a pole, stuck with indecision. But arrows soon whizzed through the woods and into the buffalo’s hide which made his decision easier. This happened just as men with spears through the cover of trees came charging into the clearing, throwing their weapons as they went. Finally, some handful of men came within striking range of the still living buffalo’s horns, only to smash their clubs into their target and hope to kill it. Grunting from the impact when they crushed its ribs, the men began to pull out their spears cautiously, hoping to let the buffalo bleed to death if it hadn’t died already.
    The buffalo, however, was already dead, and when the men had this figured out, they cheered and yelled to the archers to come join them. The one man who wasn’t cheering was simultaneously the man who hadn’t helped kill the buffalo and the one wielding the oversized knife. Instead of cheering, he looked out of the clearing, near the place where the river came into it, and asked.
    “Have they smelled it, are they coming?” The man he seemed to be talking to came to join them in the clearing, and seemed lost deep in thought. After a moment, he shook his head and smiled a smile that would have been a cheer along with the other men if he hadn’t been talking to the chief.
    “No, not yet, let’s cover the wounds and drag it home before they do.” The chief nodded,
    “Thanks, Glen.” As he turned, he began barking orders and stuck his crude weapon back into his belt. “You heard him, cover the wounds and make preparations for the ride home boys; this one’s going to be the first of many.” Even as he was talking, men put back their weapons. From recovering arrows that hadn’t broken, either in the grass or carefully pulled from the carcass, to clubs back between their baldric and spears stuffed in a huge, elongated quiver, all men deftly disarmed themselves. As they were doing this, the man called Glen; the only one who didn’t seemed to have brought a weapon, pulled a large, worn bear-hide from the pack on his back and rolled it out near the back of the buffalo-carcass.
    “Help me with this, would you Kas?” He called out to one of the spearmen, who walked over even as he wiped his spear clean and repositioned it in his quiver.
    “Of course Glen, what do you need?” He looked over the now rolled-out hide and looked confused. “Isn’t the buffalo too big for the one hide? I think we need more than one.”
    “No, the one is fine; we’ve got enough men to make it work.” Glen countered, who waved his arm at the other men in the clearing. Kas nodded and waved over two more men, and together they rolled the buffalo from the one side, over his back to his other side, onto the bear-hide. The buffalo’s head was on the same side the bear’s was, with the bear’s paws wrapping around the buffalo, closing the gaps with leather straps. The bear’s head was attached to a thick strip of hide fastened to a crude leather harness which made it possible for someone to pull the carcass along, dragging with his back, rather than pulling with his arms.
    This hunt was meant to result in several pieces of game, so some of the other men had similar contraptions that hadn’t been used, which they managed to attach to the larger bounty of this fruitful day and the result was half a dozen men comfortably pushing and pulling the buffalo the league-and-a-half back to their growing village. “So is there anything between you and Hinde anyway? You two are spending a lot of time together these days.” Glen inquired, curious.
    “Well, for starters, Hinde knows her place as a woman of the tribe, and she’s a good cook.” Kan shot back, laughing at the latter comment. Kas was a man who strongly believed in the separate roles of men and women. Men should be hunter or physical worker, doing work like woodsmen, huntsmen, smith or the like. Women on the other hand, should do work that requires more subtle manipulations of intricate fingers, like sowing, or gathering berries and herbs.
    “Ah, but is she…” Glen began to respond, but at that moment, he got a very strange feeling, as if he was on the hunt. Not on the hunt again, but just starting the hunt. Starting the hunt the way wolves would, he suddenly realized. “Oh no,” he uttered.
    “What’s wrong with you?” Kas wondered, but when he saw the look on Glen’s face, he went pale and yelled out, “WOLF ALERT!” As if by some magic switch, all the men in the hunting party stopped what they were doing and dropped the buffalo. The men wearing the harness were just done removing them when Glen called out.
    “They’re in that direction.” Pointing, Glen shook his head to clear his mind. He felt the howl before he heard it, wolves howling to signal the beginning of the hunt, that they’ve sighted prey and found a way to single it out from the herd. In an instant of pure surprise and complete instinct, he was there. There in the clearing again, only now there were four buffalo, and the men in the bushes were wolves, hiding better and creeping closer. Without thought or yelp, he motioned to close in on the one by the stream, the target. In response, the whole pack somehow knew what he wanted, and on some unconscious command, they began the usual, trusted ritual of separating the prey from the herd.
    Only Glen had never done this before, and he didn’t know what he was doing. The moment he realized this, however, he was back where he was walking before. He was on the ground, though, looking into Kas’ eyes. Kas was leaning toward Glen, and upon seeing he was alright stood back up and began talking.
    “What’s up with you today? Usually you randomly call out they’re coming, sometimes giving us a direction and rarely the time they arrive, but now you don’t even say a word and I have to guess from your expression. And then you faint, what’s up with that?” Kas was pacing as he said this, frantically making hand gestures. His pacing suddenly came to a halt as he said ‘faint’ and folded his hands, demanding an explanation.
    “”I… I was there. I was… I was the alpha wolf.” Glen stammered, getting to his feet, acutely aware of all the huntsmen’s eyes on him. “I was acting on instinct; it seemed as if we could communicate telepathically, me and the wolves. They were hunting in the clearing we were in, and… and…” As he said this, the chief started walking again, and men hurriedly put on the harnesses to take along the buffalo. Kas, still bewildered, shook his head as they started walking again.
    “Man, I thought you were strange before, now you’re just weird.” Glen let the implied question go and instead ask a question of his own.
    “How long was I out for, Kas?”

words: 1509

At this point the prologue is Glen talking in 1st person, present tense, about the events that have happened to him, only this 'present' is somewhere in the middle of the book. At least, it will be.

So, this one goes for all of the above: What do you think? (It's the first of maybe a full-fledged book I'm hoping to write. So an honest opinion is appreciated, no flattering BS please.)

Edit2: In other news: wonderful and scary is frighteningly accurate.
    Last edited by Lazy Genius; 2011-11-06 at 10:43 PM.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Hooray for NaNoWriMo!

Glass Mouse passes with four different drawings and some setting writings.

Mad Mask passes with a painting and the start of a novel.

Lil Shiro is on standby for now.

Lazy Genius passes with setting writings and the start of a novel.

Thus, no one FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, Mad Mask and Lazy Genius all PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Glass Mouse
    Current run: 54 weeks

Lazy Genius
    Current run: 1 week

Mad Mask
    Current run: 1 week

Lil Shiro

It's Mad Mask's turn to choose a theme

@Lazy Genius: I'll get back to you with the feedback thing.

Hrm. I had an idea for a taboo-themed drawing, but no time... Might get it done this week, if all the other projects don't take too long.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

17. - Top - End - #287

OKay, I will get back to work this week. Um... Glass Mouse, though I wanna use my NaNoWriMo chapters for The Challenge, I don't want to post them until they are all done, can I just PM you a link each time I complete a chapter. (It will only be like one a week, TOPS)
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure thing, Shiro It'd be nice if you included a word count, just in case. Sometimes text conversions are... weird, and I usually don't have much time Monday mornings when I do the status.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

19. - Top - End - #289

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Sure thing, Shiro It'd be nice if you included a word count, just in case. Sometimes text conversions are... weird, and I usually don't have much time Monday mornings when I do the status.
    Okey doke. What is the desired word count?
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    Okey doke. What is the desired word count?
    Thanks.

250 words count for a piece, so a full week is 1500.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Thanks.

250 words count for a piece, so a full week is 1500.
    What if I write one piece that has 1500 words?
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

In my experience, that is fine as well, this week I had one piece for 300 words, and one for 1300-1400 or so words, counting as 'five' pieces. I think it's basically that any piece you submit must have a multiple of 250 to count as that many pieces, so one piece of 700 and one of 800 would count as five pieces, not six (700/250 = 2.8 > 2, 800/250 = 3.2 > 3, 2+3=5, not 2.8+3.2=6.0). But this I'm not certain about and you'll have to check that with Glass Mouse.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Lazy Genius got it right

For Lazy, as promised:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The "evil king plus prophecy plus prophesized" is a solid fantasy setup, if you can keep it from going trite. Just keep in mind that we've heard that story before, so you need more than that to keep it engaging.
    The idea of beastmen is pretty cool, with a lot of potential. I'm not sure I like the clear separation between "good" and "bad" people, but that's more of a philosophical difference, methinks
    I know I've made that mistake in my own comic, but... you should consider what role prophesies play in the setting. If they're trusted enough to cause homicides, there must be some precedens. Do they happen all the time? Is there a history of people able to change them, or is the Ravenking just that desperate? Are they big and rare and change the tide of history? Just don't make the prophesy into a cheap plot device (yes yes, pot and kettle, *cough*).

The start of the story reminds me of Atreyu from Neverending Story
    You are good at describing things - that scene stands clearly. But! I think you go a little overboard with explaining. I don't need to know all the details of how they get the buffallo back home because, frankly, it's boring compared to hunts and wolf attacks and evil kings. A good habit is to, every time you write a description, to consider who it serves. I'm on the "descriptions are fun!" wagon, too, so I put in too many descriptions that serve no one but me. Don't be Jean M. Auel
    I like how you introduce Glen's wolf empathy. That "oh no" moment is sweet - it dawns on Glen and the reader simultaneously.
    “What’s up with you today? Usually you randomly call out they’re coming, sometimes giving us a direction and rarely the time they arrive, but now you don’t even say a word and I have to guess from your expression. And then you faint, what’s up with that?” is clumsy, though. "Dude, what happened? Is it wolves? Talk to me!" would cover the necessities (he usually doesn't faint, he can warn about wolves, this whole thing is unusual). Don't let characters tell characters what they already know.
    Still, an alright introduction scene. I'm looking forward to the actual story!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

As for the theme, I choose Water: fish, marine monsters, oceans, all that jazz.

Does anyone still follow the themes? We had a debate on this one, but I'm not sure we really came to a conclusion.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

Regarding my writing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Having precedents for the prophesy is a good call, didn't think of that, I'll incorporate it. 'Ravenking' could be a nice name for the guy, too. The separation does have its shades of gray, and the pitchblack raven and brilliant white wolf are the two extremities and very rare cases, most people are grayish. I imagine myself to be a badger-like coloration, maybe with more whitish shining through upon close inspection, but that could just be me hoping I'm a good person.

"But I like Jean M. Auel! "
    In all seriousness, the hint about thinking who the description serves is good, I'll remember that one. I've had experience with books where I've read the first chapters and still don't know what's going on, so I want it to be somewhat clear. I thought the "Have they smelled it, are they coming?" was mysterious enough, with 'them' being ambiguous, but the way you said it seems to make it work as well.

All in all, I think I'll try to have the whole first chapter done before the first round of revisions, and I've made a deviantart account! Thenolac is the username, and if I can find a way to change my forum name, that would also become Thenolac. I'm not sure how deviantart works with partial finished pieces (like the half-chapter I've already written), so I'm still trying to find a mini-guide of sorts to figure it out. Most of my work will now be published on deviantart though, so check there sometime.

About the themes, I think it'd be fun to follow them but it could get a bit confusing if you read a book with changing themes every couple pages, so I fear I'll mostly be ignoring them.
    Last edited by Lazy Genius; 2011-11-09 at 08:27 AM.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Status a little late today due to the amount of detective work. Sorry about that.

Glass Mouse passes with a gazilion character drawings plus more setting writings on a water-based trickster people.

Mad Mask didn't upload anything. Edit: Nope, he passes with three short stories sent to me.

Lil Shiro uploaded chapter 1 of a novel, plus a love poem.

Lazy Genius passes with a plot outline for 'Anipathizers'.

Thus, Mad Mask and Lil Shiro FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, Mad Mask and Lazy Genius PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 55 weeks

Lazy Genius
    Current run: 2 weeks

Mad Mask
    Current run: 2 weeks

Lil Shiro

It's Lil Shiro's turn to choose a theme

Answers 'n' stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    @Mad Mask: I really like the themes, but I tend to get big ideas that I can't seem to find the time for, so I have to admit I use them a lot less than I could. Still, I strive to incorporate them in one piece each week, and they're a great way to flex my creative muscles. This week was a good one, fx. The theme caused me to invent a whole new race for my setting, which in turned helped me understand the difference between two of my characters even more. Score!

If you're curious about the overall status participation, I always write in the status update if someone followed the theme. It's a little bit of promo reward for following it.

@Lazy Genius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Genius View Post
    Regarding my writing:
    Having precedents for the prophesy is a good call, didn't think of that, I'll incorporate it. 'Ravenking' could be a nice name for the guy, too. The separation does have its shades of gray, and the pitchblack raven and brilliant white wolf are the two extremities and very rare cases, most people are grayish. I imagine myself to be a badger-like coloration, maybe with more whitish shining through upon close inspection, but that could just be me hoping I'm a good person.
    I'm wondering how this is decided? I guess good and evil are non-negotiable cosmic forces in this world, that you can't escape from? Definitely good fantasy/fairy tale-material, but I still wonder... [/annoyingly existentialistic]

"But I like Jean M. Auel! "
    Me too, as soon as I got in the habit of skimming pages for names, so I'd know when I could start reading for real again

I thought the "Have they smelled it, are they coming?" was mysterious enough, with 'them' being ambiguous, but the way you said it seems to make it work as well.
    I liked that part. Nicely mysterious, and it added some tension to the otherwise calmed situation. I must admit, though, that I had a little trouble figuring out who said what there.

Most of my work will now be published on deviantart though, so check there sometime.
    Gotcha

My writings from this week are right here. I didn't want to spam my DA watchers with unreadable text, but you guys kinda need the proof. So... Dansih gibberish ohoy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HUDOERNE
    Hudoerne er små folk, der bosætter sig, hvor der er vand. De kan findes i Black Sands, men er gerne sjældne her pga. det tørre terræn, og i det ofte forfrosne Nord er der for koldt. Østen og Syden er deres primære hjem.
    De siges at blive født, hvor to floder mødes, men ellers er der stor uenighed om deres oprindelse. Hudoerne selv mener, at de har eksisteret altid, mens menneskelige kilder er sikre på, at de ikke er blevet set, før Age of Snakes begyndte. Blandt magiske forskere er der en bred enighed om, at hudoerne kan være en nøgle til at forstå magiens fremkomst.
    I Østen og Syden er hudoer et meget reelt problem, som nogle landsbyer kan blive plaget af på op til ugentlig basis. I Black Sands og (især) i Norden er de en fjernere trussel, og de fleste anser dem for at være ammestuehistorier.

Hudoerne er drillesyge, grænsende til ondskabsfulde, og de har en generelt fjendtlig attitude til mennesker. De er dog glade for dyr, og de fanger (eller stjæler) dem gerne til eget forbrug; oftest til kæledyr eller legetøj. Indimellem stjælder de endda også menneskebørn.
    Af fysik er de små, sjældent mere end en meter høje, og deres hud er grå og silkeagtig. Deres fingre og tæer er lange og belagt med svømmehud, men ellers ligner de mennesker.
    Det siges, at de kan gå i ét med vandet, og de findes næsten udelukkende i floder, søer og sumpe.
    De associeres i høj grad med magi og kan ofte små tricks, som ellers kun er magikere forundt.
    Mennesker, der rejser meget, lærer derimod hurtigt at være forsigtige med ikke at støde på de små væsner. At få stjålet sine ejendele (eller værre) midt i the Sands kan være en grum affære.

Man har prøvet at fange og indespærre hudoer for at studere dem, men de er umulige at indespærre, idet de i deres vandform kan undslippe gennem en hvilken som helst åbning. Og i en lufttæt beholder kvæles de (hvilket får deres krop til at flyde ud, fuldstændig uadskillelig fra almindeligt vand.
    Forsøg er gået igang for at opnå hudoernes sympati og opnå et samarbejde mellem de to racer, men endnu ved man ikke nok om hudoer til at forstå, hvad man kan tilbyde dem, eller hvordan deres venskab kan opnås.
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2011-11-17 at 03:17 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

27. - Top - End - #297

Magic. Our theme this week is magic.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Hahaha! I just added the headline "magic" for my world setting notes last night
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

29. - Top - End - #299

Good job. I promise I will complete the Challenge this week.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

Magic is very doable, I might specify the setting specifics involving how big a role magic normally plays or something of the like.

Glass Mouse, what would the English name of the Hudoerne race be? In D&D terms they seem like a mix between seacrest gnomes and shoal halflings, with the liquid form as an extra. Pretty interesting stuff.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.