New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

Status!

Glass Mouse passes with an 8-panel comic, a silly drawing, and 1300 words of short story.

Icewalker passes with 1882 words of character background story, with an important element being the travel of a group of kids.

Kyouhen didn't upload anything.

ShadowySilence is back on the 30th of June.

C'nor uploaded 867 words of wine dscription and RP writings.

Thus, Kyouhen and C'norFAILS this round!

Glass Mouse and Icewalker PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 86 weeks
    Longest run: -

Icewalker
    Current run: 2 weeks
    Longest run: 3 weeks

Kyouhen
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 12 weeks

ShadowySilence
    Current run: 1 week (pending)
    Longest run: 4 weeks

C'nor
    Longest run: 1 week

It's C'nor's turn to choose a theme
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2012-06-23 at 04:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

I choose... Dreams. Whether the kind one has for the future, magic-fueled cloudings of the mind, those one has when asleep, or other kinds i haven't thought of, anything like that is fair game for this week.

(I also choose to write at least thirty more words per RP post, but that's utterly unrelated to the theme.)
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-06-18 at 05:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Barbarian in the Playground

Umm, high there.
    (First post in the Arts & Crafts section, so I'm a bit shy...)

I think I'd like to join, but I have a couple of questions. First, my main creative activity is photography. Is that OK? Any special requirements that would separate "actual work" from the equivalent of doodles? (I can't imagine...)

Second, if I try writing, it will certainly be non-fiction, it will probably be inappropriate to post here, and it may not be in English. Is that OK?

Also, I'm not too clear on the specifics. Do we post links here or pm them to Glass Mouse? And finally, if I got the rules correctly, I start next week, with whatever theme comes after this week's "Dreams". Right?

Thanks in advance. :)
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello, Mermaid!

I've PMed things to Glass Mouse, but I've also posted links, and even actual content, in the thread. Either one is fine.

As for when you start, you can start next week if you prefer, but if you think you can get enough stuff done, there's no reason not to start this week, either.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi Headless Mermaid! Welcome to Arts & Crafts, then!

C'nor already answered most of it, but the rest comes here.

The last time we had a photographer, one photo counted as one work. I'd say they need to have different motives (so, no snapping six photos of the same model with small variations). But other than that, no problem.

What kind of non-fiction are you talking about? School papers are a no, but I guess most free-time writings would be fine. Language is not an issue.

In addition to here and on PM, you can make your own thread on gitp, post things on DA or find anywhere else on the 'net. Just remember, if you scatter things, I may not be able to find it, so please collect all links in a post or a PM.

Hope that cleared things up
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

6. - Top - End - #546

Thank you, C'nor and Glass Mouse.

Well, I'm not yet ready to post anything in public (shy, remember?), so I'll start with PMing links.

And under one condition, I think I'll take the challenge for this week, too! The condition is that you folks agree that translation, especially translation of poetic prose, may not be original content but is certainly a very creative business.

Lemme know what you think. :)

Glass Mouse, a PM is coming your way. Thanks again!
    Last edited by HeadlessMermaid; 2012-06-22 at 05:55 PM.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Final say would be up to Glass Mouse, of course, but I'd be fine with that...

Anyway, here's a lullaby-ish thing, so I think that counts as one sixth of my stuff for this week, since it's rhyming and metrical, which would seem to qualify it for poem status:

Spoiler
    Show
    Sleep, my love, until the day.
    I'll let no nightmares come this way.

Fold your wings, and dry your tears.
    Here you're safe from all your fears.

Safe in my arms, dream now and smile.
    Rest your weary heart a while.

Dream no more on pain and fear.
    Only lovers now are near.

(It was written to be sung to a bat-fey, in case anyone was wondering about the 'wings' bit.)

8. - Top - End - #548

Glad you see it that way, C'nor!

Another photo uploaded (same link, Glass Mouse). Well, it's another two, but they are sort of similar and I'm counting them as one work. By the way, I liked a lot the rationale "they need to have different motives", I think it was spot on.

If the translation is OK, I think I'm passing this first week. If not (and if similarly unconventional writing projects don't count in the future), I don't think I'll pass any week. BUT, if that thing makes me get off my butt and work on, say, 3-4 photos per week, I'll be very happy and consider it a huge success. I really needed the nudge.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm with C'nor on the translation question. I haven't done it myself since 6th grade or so, but I've understood it to be a process where you pretty much have to take ownership of the work in question. And know the destination language extremely well.

It's an a-ok from me, and thanks for the PM!

And I know what you mean about the nudge. That was my primary motivation for entering, but it has more-or-less turned into habit by now. By now, I get antsy if I can't write or draw much during a week

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Anyway, here's a lullaby-ish thing, so I think that counts as one sixth of my stuff for this week, since it's rhyming and metrical, which would seem to qualify it for poem status:

Spoiler
    Show
    Sleep, my love, until the day.
    I'll let no nightmares come this way.

Fold your wings, and dry your tears.
    Here you're safe from all your fears.

Safe in my arms, dream now and smile.
    Rest your weary heart a while.

Dream no more on pain and fear.
    Only lovers now are near.

(It was written to be sung to a bat-fey, in case anyone was wondering about the 'wings' bit.)
    Very sweet poem. I like how the tone is somewhere between motherly reassurance and loving closeness (not that the two are mutually exclusive).

Basically; nice writing, keep it up
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2012-06-23 at 04:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Very sweet poem. I like how the tone is somewhere between motherly reassurance and loving closeness (not that the two are mutually exclusive).

Basically; nice writing, keep it up
    Thanks! And that's about how Talina feels, so I'm glad it came across well.

As for continuing, I'll certainly attempt to. Hopefully my various games will continue to be inspiring.

133 words of early backstory stuff for Talina (and also the aforementioned bat-fey, though she doesn't enter the story just yet):

Spoiler
    Show
    I've done what I can, for now. Remnant has been informed that there's a slave-brothel in the Red Zone. Or rather that there's one at a specific place, currently in operation; I'm sure they knew that there were probably dozens, given the size of the district, but sending enough people out to find them is impossible, even with magic, psionics and whatever crazy tech they've got.

Now it's just a matter of doing what I can to help the girls there while I wait, whether with potions when they get sick or just giving them a shoulder to cry on. Nothing else I can do, without getting myself arrested, and probably letting the ones running the place get away in the process. So why do I feel like crap for not doing more?
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-06-25 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Talia -> Talina; Talia is the nixie, Talina is the sorceress.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think I'll make a try at the challenge, as I've been uploading various poetry on my blog for a while.

So far this week, I think I've submitted enough to pass
    (one, two, three, four, five, six, seven)

This is discounting things I made earlier and only uploaded this week of course, and the seventh one depends on when the week officially starts, but there you have it. And the drawings are not mine, but most of them should have credit (if I could find it)
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I have been writing. So many sheets.

So many.

Probably about 30 left to write next week. Here's two, they cover over 2000 words for this week.

Spoiler
    Show

High Inquisitor Talon

You were born in the years of wealth and peace before the Fall. But even in times of prosperity, there are lives which are poor and rough. You never knew your parents, or why you ended up an infant left on the street, perhaps they abandoned you, perhaps they died. You have never found out. You survived on the kindness of strangers and street folk for your infancy, until the age of six, when you were taken in by a nobleman. He never quite saw you as a son as much as a servant. You were raised in good health, but never treated with any paternal care, rooming with the rest of the noble’s house staff, and doing chores as much as any. Not knowing much better, you would occasionally steal things from the house, partially from spite towards your master, but partially to help keep you and the other servants fed. Eventually, at the age of 14, you stole a valuable jewel and ran away. But, you never got far: you were caught, and the nobleman’s authority was enough to leave you imprisoned for many years.

At least it would have been. But after two years of time in a dark cell, everything changed. The royal family was slain, Wyllaria overthrown, and the Dark Lord Malvakar ascended the throne. And he went to the prisons beneath the royal castle, personally, and spoke with the prisoners, each individually. He offered positions within his new order to those who had grudges against the old royalty, to those with talents that could be of use to him. You were not a criminal, or a skilled thief and rogue, but there was one thing you had always had a gift for: Lies.
    And so you lied. And lied and lied straight to the Dark Lord’s face. You told him you had skills with information and people, manipulation and spying. You told him you were motivated by greed and ambition instead of kindness. And he listened, and nodded, and moved on to the next cell, and on that day you became one of Malvakar’s first Inquisitors. The betrayer knight Bastien (CASTING) was Malvakar’s Prime Inquisitor, and he took those who had been chosen and set you all to work. You had always picked things up quickly, but you discovered you had something of a knack for the flow of information and tracking of people, exactly what was needed for the job. You began to teach yourself practical skills in secret, lock-picking, poisons, stealth, all that you had claimed in the past to be capable of. With your quick tongue and new talents, you began to work against the Dark Lord from the inside. You would hide refugees you were told to kill, forging orders and replies, faking evidence and spreading the right rumors. You couldn’t do much, in the scheme of things, with so many other Inquisitors investigating as well, and with the sharp eyes of the Prime Inquisitor always present, but you did what you could. And you saved lives. You helped many innocents escape death for many years. Some would eventually be caught. Some are still out there. One man, who has called himself the Shadow of Freedom, has been playing Bastien for a fool for years now. You would help him: but you can’t even find out enough about him to lead the Inquisitors the wrong way. The Shadow covers his tracks and plays his cards far too well.
    Eventually you met a pair of thieves, husband and wife, who had been carrying out a string of incredible heists to undermine Malvakar’s oppression. You began communicating with them in secret, and the three of you hatched a plan. You knew more of Malvakar’s power than most, and you knew of a secret part of his pact that was often hidden. The Soulstones. Ten gems, each bound with a thousand souls, which sealed the agreement between Malvakar and Death himself. If the ten could be gathered and destroyed, it would be the first step to defeating the Dark Lord for good. They were scattered, hidden and protected, throughout the lands near the royal castle, but you knew that Malvakar kept one within the castle itself.
    You had decided to steal it.
    With your information, the thieves managed to break into the royal castle, and retrieve the stone. But as they attempted to escape, Bastien caught them. Before he could execute them, they passed the stone to you, and you managed to keep it from Bastien or Malvakar’s sight. Though you could not save them, you at least ensured their sacrifice was not in vain. As the three of you had agreed, you would make sure their two children were safe, and you could finish what they had started and ensure the soulstone was hidden. You began to pull strings, to influence and redirect information, all surrounding one nearby town, Yudshire. The town was already fairly secluded, and had drawn little attention. You ensured it would draw even less, and covered your tracks well enough that whatever happened to you they couldn’t find your changes. You sent the stone to Yelan and Salya, (CASTINGS), your partners two children, along with a note, to lead them to Yudshire where they would be safe. They have remained there since, hidden away, with a small package they do not yet realize the importance of. For now, they are safe.
    Your manipulations could only last so long. During the purge of the eighteenth year after the fall, your machinations were discovered. Bastien the Prime Inquisitor, and Pythra, Malvakar’s Seer (CASTING) found traces of prisoners you had freed, refugees you had hidden, and other schemes. You were chained with the rest of the prisoners the purge had taken, and for several days now they have dragged you through the mud with the others, waiting to be executed. You have done much to weaken the Dark Lord’s rule. If your time has come, then so be it.

Yelan

You and your older sister Salya (CASTING) were raised in a small home a short ways away from the royal city, somewhat secluded. You didn’t realize how important that was in the first few years of your life. You were born the year after the Fall, your sister a year before you. Your parents encouraged many things you didn’t realize at first were not quite normal, and you and your sister learned to hide and move quickly through the woods, seeing everything just as games at first. As you got older, your parents began spending time away from home, working. You knew how to take care of yourselves well enough that even when they vanished for a few days at a time, it was never real trouble, and nobody ever bothered you at your home, hidden away from the royal city. One day, when you were ten years old, they were gone for a week. And then two. You and Salya began to worry. You had never actually learned what they had been doing, and in your curiosity began searching through their room. The two of you found a seam in the floor, and prying it open discovered a trap door into a whole basement you never knew existed. It was a chamber full of ropes, tools, and weapons, a work table covered in locks and lockpicks, a whole plethora of thieves tools. And you found a journal.
    It was a record of crimes. In the days before you were born, your parents had traveled through Wyllaria, and once or twice even beyond its borders, pulling heists and crimes on a grand scale. But you learned from their journal that they never stole for themselves: their prizes were always being stolen to be returned to rightful owners, or spread to those who needed the wealth. Eventually they settled down to have children, and stopped their noble but criminal ways for many years. But under the black rule of Malvakar, the world had fallen into such savage disarray that they felt they needed to return to their old path, and resume using their thieves’ talents to help those in need. They had a contact and help within Malvakar’s Inquisitors, a high lieutenant named Talon (CASTING), a man second only to the Prime Inquisitor Bastien (CASTING) who leads the annual purges, scouring the countryside for rebels and threats.
    There was a note at the back of the journal. It was dated to two weeks ago, the last day before your parents had left on their latest plan. They had decided to attempt an exceptionally dangerous mission, hoping to infiltrate the royal castle itself and steal something of great importance, although they did not say what. The last section of the journal entry was addressed to the two of you. It said that this was an attempt dangerous beyond anything they had tried before, and they did not know if they would ever come back. It told you to be strong and to be careful, and if they were still missing after a week, that they would likely never return.
    The two of you spent the next few days in shock, trying to truly realize who your parents had always been, as well as that they were now gone. On the third day after you found their journal, a knock came to the door. Though nervous, you didn’t know what to do besides looking. There was nobody outside, simply a small package wrapped on the foot of your doorstep, with a bird of prey’s claw sketched onto the paper. There was a note with the package.

Yelan and Salya.
    Your parents took a brave risk, but the Prime Inquisitor’s eyes are too sharp. There was nothing I could do. I am sorry. Know that their sacrifice was not a useless act. Take this package, tell nobody, do not open it, and keep it safe, until the day comes that it will be needed.
    You cannot stay where you are. Travel to the town of Yudshire. You will be safe there for now. Do not bring your parents’ things with you, they will only make it easier for him to find you. I am sorry there is not more I can do now. Stay safe.

After delaying another week in the home the two of you spent your lives in, you knew you had to leave as the message said. You resealed the hidden basement your parents used, knowing that someday you might need the equipment hidden away there. You and Salya packed up your things, all that you needed, and left, knowing you’d probably never be back. The two of you hiked to Yudshire, the town only being a day’s walk away from your home. You wandered into the town, and were soon taken in by Orven (CASTING) the town cleric, who let the children without homes or care sleep in the church, and did what he could as with the rest of the town to make sure everybody was fed and accounted for. You’ve grown up the rest of your lives, another seven years, among the other orphan ruffians in Yudshire, running about town, getting into trouble and always finding things to do one way or another. Once, wandering the nearby woods, the two of you found a wild kid who called himself Shix (CASTING) when Salya stepped on a trap he had set for food. It seems he’d spent nearly his entire life in the woods. The two of you brought him back to Yudshire, where he’s lived ever since with the rest of you.
    You’ve become fairly close to a girl in Yudshire who came to the town a few years after you did. Tria (CASTING) arrived in the town with a fairly significant bag of supplies and valuables over her shoulder, refusing to say where they came from. Your parents taught you well enough that you know she stole them, although if your parents taught you anything it’s that sometimes thefts can be for the greater good, and having gotten to know her through the years, you know Tria always means well. She may jump to conclusions and take rash action sometimes, and you’re pretty sure she steals sometimes out of reflex, but her heart is in the right place, and when she ends up nicking anything important she always puts it back. The two of you sometimes get talking about how you would go about stealing one valuable or another, never in full seriousness, but always with a touch of mischief in your thoughts.
    You haven’t told anybody about the package, just as Inquisitor Talon’s note said, and you haven’t opened it, although you’ve often wanted to. It remains sealed and hidden away for now. Perhaps soon the day will come when it’s time to open it. You’re not sure when that may be, but the day doesn’t seem to have come yet.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

253 words of more backstory for Talina. I make no guarantee that her perceptions are accurate, however:

Spoiler
    Show
    It's been two weeks, and Remnant has done nothing. Apparently, it was easier for them to 'misfile' my report than actually do something about it. Bloody bastards.

But it doesn't matter now, I suppose. The place is burning merrily as I write this, despite the drizzle. Turns out they weren't expecting the 'healer-witch' who came in and tended to the girls to be able to sling combat spells for some reason. Guess they didn't realize that when most of what you do is sympathetic magic, anyone clever and with power can figure out all sorts of nasty things...

Anyway, everyone is out now. Finding work for them, and a place to stay in the meantime, is going to be hard, but they seem to be pretty resilient, so at least they should be mostly okay once I have. Not that they're fine, of course, but they will recover, with time and help.

Or most of them will, anyway. I'm worried about one in particular; a batgirl of some kind. From what one of the others could tell me - she wouldn't, or couldn't, speak, and I didn't push her - her name is Nycca, and she just... Stopped eating soon after she was captured. Poor girl looks like she was in one of the Veilking's prison camps back in the Sunmark War. But all I can do is my best, and pray to Chaedarcha she recovers, and worrying about her here isn't going to help with that, even if it does make me feel better.

I've also got another entry done in my head, but no time to actually write it down at the moment, so that'll be put up when I return.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm so sorry about the lateness of both reply and status. I wanted to post yesterday and warn you, but the forums were down.
    The thing is, my brother just finished the Danish equivalent of high school, and I've spent the day celebrating him, which is why the status is late.

Anyway!

Welcome, Grimmace! Those are really cool poems; they definitely evoke images and atmosphere, even if they're mostly abstract. I especially enjoyed "Geometry" (but then again, physics is kind of a guilty pleasure for me )

And now for the thing you're all here for: Status!

Glass Mouse passes with 1373 words of short story and a drawing of an OC dreaming.

Icewalker passes with 2000+ words of intertwined character backgrounds.

Kyouhen didn't upload anything. You still here?

ShadowySilence is back on the 30th of June.

C'nor uploaded a lullaby poem and 133 words of bat-fey backstory.

HeadlessMermaid passes with 1230 words of monologue translation and two photos, one of which is slightly dream-themed.

The Grimmace passes with seven poems of different, abstract-explorative themes.

Thus, Kyouhen and C'nor FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, Icewalker, HeadlessMermaid and The Grimmace PASS this round!

Good job, guys!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 87 weeks

Icewalker
    Current run: 3 weeks

Kyouhen
    Longest run: 12 weeks

ShadowySilence
    Current run: 1 week (pending)

C'nor

HeadlessMermaid
    Current run: 1 week

The Grimmace
    Current run: 1 week

It's HeadlessMermaid's turn to choose a theme
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2012-06-25 at 05:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

15. - Top - End - #555

It is? Umm, OK, I choose.... Alcohol.
    That could involve wine, beer, spirits, drinking, intoxication, grapes, Bacchus... Bacchanalia ... Or it can involve the effect, such as lowered inhibitions. Or even a mystical aspect (any culture that discovered fermentation ended up with a sacred wine of some sort).

I'm sure you'll think of something. :)
    Last edited by HeadlessMermaid; 2012-06-25 at 12:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

This week I will be writing SO MUCH. Actually I'm pretty sure I've already passed 1500 words. Next week...actually I'll probably still be writing another dozen sheets on Monday and Tuesday in the last couple days before game. So that should cover that. After that though, I'm jumping around upstate New York for another six weeks, usually working (Wayfinder is the BEST summer camp, you guys. Seriously.) So I'm not sure if I'll manage the Challenge while I'm gone. I do have a second game to write for, but I'm not writing full character sheets, and fleshing out a plot doesn't have much of a tangible form, nor a measurable progression from "mostly done" to "done". So my work for Shadows of Time might not get me through for the Challenge. I probably won't last the next two months, but when I'm back I'll try to stay back!
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2012-06-25 at 08:35 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557

I uploaded my poems for the time I was gone, but my camera is being stupid and not working when I try to get the pictures I was going to post off of it. Hopefully that shall be fixed soon, then my 3 weeks of stuff will be complete.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Status!

Glass Mouse passes with 712 words of essay and short story writings, four photographs (party-related), and a bunch of practice drawings.

Icewalker didn't send me anything.

Kyouhen is out due to disappearance.

ShadowySilence uploaded 12 poems of varying themes, covering 2 out of 3 weeks.

C'nor sent me 944 words of world building and 552 words of RPing, coming in at 1496 words.

HeadlessMermaid passes with seven pieces worth of photos, including two "feast with wine and music" ones and one snifter glass, plus 1094 words of mock-essay about moonshine and 582 words of essay.

The Grimmace passes with seven abstract poems and sixteen no less abstract haikus.

Thus, Icewalker, ShadowySilence and C'norFAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, HeadlessMermaid and The Grimmace PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 88 weeks

Icewalker

ShadowySilence

C'nor

HeadlessMermaid

The Grimmace

It's The Grimmace's turn to choose a theme

I'm sorry I haven't been present much in the thread. It's been a very weird week, which is also why my contributions are at a bare minimum. I'll be back... next week-ish. I'm at a festival this week, so I have very little time.

@Icewalker: Sorry to hear you can't make it. At least it sounds like you're gonna have a kick-ass summer
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2012-07-05 at 07:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

19. - Top - End - #559

Now that I have my computer working and it is summer, I think that I may actually have the time to participate in this. I have been trying to get back into the arts in general, and I think this may be an interesting way to make sure I do not slack off and get out of practice. Just one question, though it is silly and quite obvious, but would a musical composition be sufficient for a creative piece? I assume that it would most definitely qualify, but I just wish to be entirely sure.

Also, would I be allowed to participate in this week's challenge, rather than waiting until next week's?

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

As with our good decapitated mermaid the week before last, you can indeed start this week.

Also, Glass Mouse, I'm not sure if it went through or not, but I sent you a PM with my stuff for last week an hour or so after that post went up; I tried to get it to you sooner but the server was doing its backup thing, and I fell asleep while I was waiting for it to come back up.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry the theme's a bit late...um...let's see, I've got a little toy chicken thing from easter, so the theme this week is chickens and lights. Good luck.

22. - Top - End - #562

Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmace View Post
    Sorry the theme's a bit late...um...let's see, I've got a little toy chicken thing from easter, so the theme this week is chickens and lights. Good luck.
    Hilariously, when I read that, I was in the process of devouring a chicken leg. So I decided to honor the coincidence by pausing my meal and snapping a photo of the chicken - for the laughs, you understand. This led me to realize that I had totally forgotten how to shoot macro properly with this camera, and by fumbling I just found it again.

Thanks, The Grimmace!

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for the lateness, I'm at my country's biggest music festival, which means I'm only occasionally home.

Quote Originally Posted by MilesTiden View Post
    Now that I have my computer working and it is summer, I think that I may actually have the time to participate in this. I have been trying to get back into the arts in general, and I think this may be an interesting way to make sure I do not slack off and get out of practice. Just one question, though it is silly and quite obvious, but would a musical composition be sufficient for a creative piece? I assume that it would most definitely qualify, but I just wish to be entirely sure.
    Awesome! Musical compositions would definitely qualify, but I don't know what "one piece" would be. As a general guideline, the minimum time spent on a piece should be 20-30 minutes (but could be much more).
    I'm thinking writing the lyrics could be one piece (like a poem), singing/playing could be another, composing the music could be... the same? I have no idea what time scale is involved here. Any ideas?
    Does this sound reasonable to someone who's actually done music?

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Also, Glass Mouse, I'm not sure if it went through or not, but I sent you a PM with my stuff for last week an hour or so after that post went up; I tried to get it to you sooner but the server was doing its backup thing, and I fell asleep while I was waiting for it to come back up.
    Aye, it did! Sorry, I read it on my way out the door. I'll update the status post when I'm done with this reply

Much understanding about that backup thing. For something so on-schedule, it sure has a way of sneaking up on you.

Edit: Your inbox is full, so I'm just leaving my PM reply here:
    Hey, the Challenge is about keeping yourself creating and producing! Even if you're 4 words short, you still wrote a lot, which counts as a partial win. Go you!

Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmace View Post
    Hahah, that's great! I really hope I can manage the time to do something with that!
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2012-07-05 at 07:29 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

24. - Top - End - #564

Unfortunately, participating this week will most likely not be an option, because 1. my computer died again, 2. I am visiting my grandparents over the weekend and will not be back until Monday, and 3. my iPad (where I do all my music composition) crashed and deleted all data of my nearly completed piece (which was probably my best one yet) (edit: Twice.)

Anyways, I will try to pull something out of my arse, but I probably will have to wait until next week.
    Last edited by MilesTiden; 2012-07-06 at 05:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Ouch. That's impressive universe conspiring there. Just do your best this week, Miles, and we'll be here for your big return on monday

Also, to all of you, I just want to give a heads-up: This week's status will probably be late. I'm working the night shift sun/mon, and I don't know when I'll be home. It's possible that the status will go up 6-7 hours later than usual. No worries, everything else stays the same, and I'll make sure to upload my week's worth of drawings today.
    Just thought I'd let you know
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

26. - Top - End - #566
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post
    Hilariously, when I read that, I was in the process of devouring a chicken leg. So I decided to honor the coincidence by pausing my meal and snapping a photo of the chicken - for the laughs, you understand. This led me to realize that I had totally forgotten how to shoot macro properly with this camera, and by fumbling I just found it again.

Thanks, The Grimmace!
    Happy to be of service. Speaking of photography, I took a picture of that same little chicken toy, and with some messing about with pre-loaded photo editing software and MS Paint, I ended up with this. I ought to fit the theme more often.

@Miles: That makes me want to kill a technology, friend. You have my empathy.

And while I'm here, Iron Poet needs just a few more participants and at least one judge before it can start.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

This got closer to 8-9 hours late, but I just woke up and my brain is still sleepy, so this took way longer than it should. But, status!

Glass Mouse passes with eight style-practise drawings.

Icewalker didn't send me anything.

ShadowySilence didn't upload anything. Did you leave again?

C'nor didn't send me anything.

HeadlessMermaid passes with seven, mostly B/W photographs, including a piece of chicken lunch.

The Grimmace passes with seven poems, a sonnet, eight mini-dreams, three haikus and a chicken toy photo with accompanying poem-text.

Thus, Icewalker, ShadowySilence and C'nor FAIL this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 89 weeks

Icewalker

ShadowySilence

C'nor

HeadlessMermaid

The Grimmace

It's my turn to choose a theme, and I say sunglasses

I'm sorry about the lateness and poor participation on my end. Summer is always a little more crazy than the rest of the year, but it should be a little better from now on.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

Gah, sorry about that. I was out from eight in the morning to eleven at night yesterday, and then I basically collapsed into bed when I got home.

Also, I probably won't be able to get anything up until after the twentieth.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Time for status!

Glass Mouse passes with 537 words of writings plus 4-5 pieces worth of drawings, including one that spawned from sunglasses.

Icewalker is out due to disappearance.

ShadowySilence uploaded five photograps of nature and lights.

C'nor is on standby and will start uploading on the 20th.

HeadlessMermaid passes with six different, mostly B/W photographs.

The Grimmace passes with nine haikus, seventeen microdreams, six poems and six molecular poems.

Thus, ShadowySilence FAILS this round!

Halfway to a prize, guys

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 90 weeks

Icewalker

ShadowySilence

C'nor

HeadlessMermaid
    Current run: 4 weeks

The Grimmace
    Current run: 4 weeks

It's ShadowySilence's turn to choose a theme
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

Glass Mouse, do you still have the setting stuff I PMed you? I ended up losing most of it recently because my computer messed up...