New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

I've written 747 words of Changeling things so far, which should count for the theme, I hope...

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Wrote somewhere in the range of 2000 words again this week, although I've decided to drop out of NaNo technically, for a couple of reasons. Still, enough to hold to the challenge.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

Just run the numbers on my NaNo stats page.

I finished last sunday at 43,383 words, and I now stand at 61,889- giving me a total of 18,506 words written this week.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

110 words of RPing, plus something that maybe counts as a poem? If it does, that brings me up to 1107, so I should be okay for this week once I go track down the rest of what I've written recently.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Gesturing at the tree Serph sits under, she murmurs a simple incant...

"Wood, I stake a claim upon his life
    Help me now begin this strife.

Hawk who rode the east wind here
    May my sight as yours be clear.

West wind, west wind, more than friend
    Guide this shaft for his life's end."

Moments after she finishes it, a myriad of heavy branches, the smallest of which is as big around as her fist, splinter from the tree with an ominous creaking.

As it does, Spreagadh, who has had several hundred years of practice with a bow, and has keener senses than most mortals even when they're not magically enhanced, launches an arrow at him, aiming to pierce his skull, something she's aided in by the sudden appearance of a rather strong wind, guiding it towards him.

Of course, if he notices her, it is possible to interrupt any of that...

Edit:

Another maybe-poem thing, and 226 words of RPing, which brings me up to 1583 words total, hopefully.

Spoiler
    Show
    [Fire at Will]

"North wind, north wind, frozen crone
    Howling down from peaks alone
    Let ice form here on blasted stone."

As the second spell finishes, an icy wind howls through the forest, flames guttering and dying before it, and the temperature dropping sufficiently to freeze the sap in the trees, causing some of the smaller ones to explode...
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor
    "This is modern," she points out, smiling gently. "Or at least, it was before my Ascension... But I can certainly do something along those lines."

With that, she reaches out and touches a claw to the wall next to her, at which the fabric of the plane around them ripples, stretching and tearing for a moment, before reforming, leaving them in a fairly good approximation of a modern club, though not, perhaps, one that's actually permitted to be acting as one - something more along the lines of the type mentioned here might be more accurate -, lit with icy blue neon, and rather full of people (who Kriza can probably tell were taken from other places, not made for the party); a fair number of said people are dancing to the music that seems to be emanating directly from the walls.

Directly next to them is a rather nice-looking girl, tall and thin, with hair that seems to be made of smoke, and ash-grey skin, with dancing green flames in place of eyes.

"Will she be acceptable?", Anarya inquires, indicating the Changeling next to them. "I can get a different one, if you give me an idea of what you'd prefer... I think you'll find her most enjoyable, though. She has some rather unique talents, amongst them the ability to sense exactly what you desire."
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-11-26 at 02:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

These are just getting later and later... I thought I could get 'net during the day, but no such luck. Oh well, status time!

Glass Mouse passes with 10-ish drawings and 478 words of faux NaNoWriMo.

C'nor passes with 1058 words of RPing and two poems, if my math is correct.

HeadlessMermaid uploaded three stair case photos.

The Grimmace passes with five poems, four haikus, fire microdreams, 14 photo microdreams, three molecular poems and one prose poem.

Neoriceisgood passes with nine pages of comics.

Icewalker passes with 2,000 words of NaNoWriMo.

Mercenary Pen passes with 18,506 words of NaNoWriMo.

nersxe didn't upload anything.

Thus, HeadlessMermaid and nersxe FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, C'nor, The Grimmace, Neoriceisgood, Icewalker and Mercenary Pen PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 109 weeks
    Longest run: -
    Themes: -

C'nor
    Current run: 3 weeks
    Longest run: 1 week

HeadlessMermaid
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 11 weeks

The Grimmace
    Current run: 2 weeks
    Longest run: 18 weeks

Neoriceisgood
    Current run: 13 weeks
    Longest run: 8 weeks

Icewalker
    Current run: 13 weeks
    Longest run: 3 weeks

Mercenary Pen
    Current run: 4 weeks
    Longest run: 2 weeks

nersxe
    Longest run: 4 weeks

It's Icewalker's turn to choose a theme

@Mercenary: That's gotta be a Challenge record!

@Grimmace: You're not one for half returns, are you?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Dwarf in the Playground

And to top it all off, one of the poems got featured on Tumblr and got almost 150 likes and reblogs.
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

Does painting miniatures count, assuming I come up with my own scheme for them? I recently acquired a Cryxian Stalker, and assuming I can get it attached to a base, I plan to get it done sometime this week...

8. - Top - End - #788
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    HeadlessMermaid uploaded three stair case photos.
    Nah, not even that.
    I did these Monday afternoon, and the two are variations of the same shot. So it's two photos, counting for this week. Let's see if they'll have company by Sunday. :)
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmace View Post
    And to top it all off, one of the poems got featured on Tumblr and got almost 150 likes and reblogs.
    Ooh, way to go!

Does painting miniatures count, assuming I come up with my own scheme for them? I recently acquired a Cryxian Stalker, and assuming I can get it attached to a base, I plan to get it done sometime this week...
    Sure!

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post
    Nah, not even that.
    I did these Monday afternoon, and the two are variations of the same shot. So it's two photos, counting for this week. Let's see if they'll have company by Sunday. :)
    Haha, nevermind then. Good photographing!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Oh, you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to use this to push myself.

This week's theme is dramatic reveals. Now, to meet that myself, I'll need to finish almost the full rest of my book this week, which should be feasible.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, I'm jumping back into this. I need the drawing practice, and this is a great excuse to force it upon myself.

All of my stuff will go to my DA account, with the occasional piece stuck here to show.

Posting from my phone at the moment, so I can't really link to my account. But, I will make a gallery there specifically for this.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

12. - Top - End - #792
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alrighty, here's one for this week up.

Spoiler
    Show

And a link to the gallery. Specifically for this challenge.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice theme, Ice! I used the opportunity to plan first arc's plot twist/dramatic reveal in my comic. I can't show it, of course, but it felt good to get that down.

@KerfuffleMach2: Welcome back! Good to have another drawing artist here
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

Final 13154 words of NaNo this week
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I...have fallen HORRIDLY ill. Like, cannot sleep for nausea, vomiting and overall heavy malaise ill. Which also means I can't do much awake. Like writing. I think I'm not finishing this week.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Starting at post #80, dated 29 Nov, I have 1399 words and three maps. (I am the user "Fayth", and that's my DnD forum adventure.)

No dramatic reveals, sadly. Only garden-variety mapping reveals.
    Last edited by nersxe; 2012-12-02 at 01:27 PM.
    Spoiler: I got a cookie!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

Spoiler: I write
    Show
    The Named, a superhero webnovel where names are everything. (Updated 3/14/14)

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

I have 1,556 words total, subdivided as follows:

875 words of RPing as an androgynous soul-eater, the first 525 of which hopefully count for the theme:

Spoiler
    Show
    [Lilium - I'd give up all my wealth to buy you back the soul you never sold...]

Lilium. The odd one, marked by their appearance as an outcast. Not so much the leather jacket, or the boots, not even the dark violet hair. All those could be ignored, and, indeed, for here, they were not so terribly unusual. It was the fact that they were androgyne, genderless, either or neither, depending on the viewer.

Only the few whose beds they had shared since coming here knew the answer to the question everyone asked about them... And out of that few, only one had, thus far, considered breaking their trust, though even she had never gone through with it. For somehow, though she knew nothing of why, when Lilium had wept at the betrayal, pleaded with her, begged to know why, their tears had burned her, eaten away her skin*, and she had been too scared to speak of it to anyone, even if she might have after seeing how much pain it caused her lover...

The pair were still together, though, for while they had never talked about what happened that night, Lilium's clear remorse, and the gentle care they'd given her, perhaps the only thing that kept her from getting scars, and being in far more pain than she had been, along with Tirya's regret for the inordinate amount of pain she'd caused serving as an effective enough patch for their relationship, seeing as Lilium was close to so few.

In any case, however, Wren was one of the less judgmental people here - fortunate, as they were roommates - and another of the tiny number they truly cared for; indeed, the one, even above Tirya, they felt most strongly about, the only one they might, perhaps, sacrifice themselves for, so when they spotted the mortal, they smiled, just a bit, and crept up behind her, laying a gently hand on her shoulder, and murmuring a quiet greeting...

"Hey... What's up?"

*((Sorry if this is against the spirit of Acid Rain, but I sort of doubt it's going to be too terribly OP to make Lilium able to turn their tears into weapons, and it seemed like it would be appropriate to have them accidentally hurt someone they cared about that way... Also, this is so important to her because she's not exactly the sanest individual, what with the whole 'sold their soul, killed their best friend, and has their sister trying to kill them' thing; their trust issues blew the matter entirely out of proportion, and it had a fairly inflated significance in the first place - really, it would basically have just been finally settling a persistent question, after which no-one would have cared - though it is somewhat relevant for their stage persona that their gender not come out. (This may change in the future; I'm not sure yet what direction I want to take Lilium's gender weirdness at this point.)

Oh, and Tirya's just an NPC who'll be remaining mostly off-screen, by the way. Unless someone (Cyno, maybe, since they already know Lilium's gender) wants to play her, that is.))
    Lilium

Doubt thou the stars are fire.

Doubt thou the sun doth move.

Doubt truth to be a liar.

But never doubt I love...

"Calm, dear," Lilium replied gently, returning their friend's grin, and reaching out to softly take her other shoulder for a moment, hoping to ground her somewhat. Nice as Wren was, the girl could be rather intense... "It's fine. If I can't handle people jumping when I talk to them, I should learn to be a bit louder, y'know?" Not that would ever happen, mind. They were practiced in stealth for a reason, not just as a hobby, or for playing little pranks like startling their friends. Giving that up could cost them their life. "And I was mostly just wandering around, seeing if anything caught my eye. What caught my eye turned out to be you, so... Here I am. What're you looking for? Anything I might be able to help with?"

Had they been able to hear Wren's thoughts as she finished speaking, they would have reassured her that her assessment was accurate; they had been a touch resentful, at first, of being stuck with taking care of 'the sick girl', the one no-one else wanted to be paired with, clumsy, if kind, and bleeding all over the place, often trapped in her room because of her medicine, but the assignment was hardly Wren's fault, after all...

And, after a few days there, they had come to like the girl, for what she was, the flavor of her soul, both literally and figuratively, until now, Wren was dearer to them even than Tirya, the only one they might ever consider telling of what they were.

But they couldn't. Their sister could have told her feelings, at least, but they had no such abilities; their family's gifts had not been passed on, or, at best, remained latent, so they simply followed Wren around the room as they spoke, knowing her tendency to fall, or pull books down on herself, and hoping to be able to prevent her from getting hurt if something of the sort happened...

350 words of RPing as an immortal archmage with a gestalt identity:

Spoiler
    Show
    "You don't need to ask, Spec. I freely volunteer, as I have done since I met you; I am sworn to do whatever is necessary to keep you safe, and that oath was given with full knowledge of what it entailed.

Also, it would not be the first time I have had a bounty on my head, and I have lived for thousands of years despite that. To kill me is hardly easy... Besides which, do you think that if they take you, and you have to go back, when to do so would cause you so much pain, I would not be hurt by your suffering?", she asks quietly, gently stroking her girlfriend's hair, and planting a soft kiss on her cheek, smiling gently at her.

Trium, naturally, makes no attempt to stop Spec from clinging to her, instead, if the assassin allows her to, pulling her into her lap, and holding her tightly, gently tracing the silver mark she left on her girlfriend, hopefully reminding her of the promise Trium made to her.

"No. It isn't. They're nowhere near as powerful here as they were where you're from, nor are you alone this time...

The first thing to do is get you out of here. Once we're somewhere they can't find, we can plan, figure out how to actually get them to back off, not just hide you from them."

With that, the pair may find themselves transported to Sparrow's Fall.

Five minutes later, the door slips open for a moment, closing quietly after perhaps a second, a blur ghosting across the room, and sits down next to Spec, gently wrapping its arms around her, even as it resolves into Trium, and begins to broadcast emotions and images to her, <quiet water. Love-concern-reassurance. Still water. Safe-calm-shielded.>

"What's wrong, love?", she inquires gently as she broadcasts, clearly rather worried for the assassin, which, considering that this is really only the third time she's seen Spec anywhere near crying, and the first time was when she had every pain nerve in her body firing at once, isn't all that surprising...

220 words of RPing as my living-instrument Changeling:

Spoiler
    Show
    Samantha sighs wearily, dragging herself to her feet, and glaring at Solomon, shoving her hair, matted with blood, and probably less savory things, out of her face, as she does, at which her coat falls open to reveal a flash of brass and bone, though it's quickly drawn around her again by a polished wooden hand.

"I haven't had any water in what seems like a week, and I've been beaten to a pulp," she rasps, her normally musical voice hoarse and cracked. "Forgive me for not springing to my bloody feet right away."

A moment later, a cool breeze seems to blow through the cell, carrying with it the scent of crushed pine needles, undercut with the ghost of fresh snow, accompanied by a momentary flash of bright green in her eyes, as well as the ghost of leaves sprouting from the Fairest's hands for just long enough to make one wonder if one had really seen them, and followed by a gentle sigh of relief.

"That's better," the Minstrel murmurs, straightening, though her voice is no less rough than it was a moment ago."Now, get over here, would you? I can't do a lot, but I can at least wake you up, and if you feel anything like I did a minute ago, you could probably use that..."

And 111 words of RPing as ghost possessing a steam cloud, which it's using to control a robotic body:

Spoiler
    Show

[Lake of Dreams]

"Heh. Indeed. And you haven't even seen the elevator yet...", she teases, laughing quietly, and nodding.

Upon entering the building, he'll find that the interior is almost completely bare, save for slightly inset platform in the center of the floor, which he probably recognizes as being carved into the shape of a spine of commensurate size with the skull they're standing in.

Of course, he might be a touch distracted by what seems to be a pair of rather powerful undead knights, armed with chainsaws, and with a fair bit of steampunk cybernetics grafted to them, both standing on the other side of the room from the pair.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

Statuuus!

Glass Mouse passes with ~1,700 words of setting and plot writings.

C'nor passes with 1,556 words of RPG, including a piece of backstory about a very personal, dramatic reveal.

HeadlessMermaid passes with 11 photographs of everything from city sights to details.

The Grimmace passes with three poems and 864 words of short story.

Neoriceisgood uploaded five comic book pages. Edit: And three extra drawings make it a pass.

Icewalker is sick and didn't upload anything.

Mercenary Pen passes with the last 13,154 words of NaNoWriMo.

nersxe passes with 1,399 words of RPG writings and three maps.

KerfuffleMach2 uploaded a Star Wars/Pokemon drawing.

Thus, Icewalker and KerfuffleMach2 FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, C'nor, HeadlessMermaid, The Grimmace, Neoriceisgood, Mercenary Pen and nersxePASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 110 weeks
    Longest run: -

C'nor
    Current run: 4 weeks
    Themes: 2 weeks

HeadlessMermaid
    Current run: 1 week
    Longest run: 11 weeks

The Grimmace
    Current run: 3 weeks
    Longest run: 18 weeks

Neoriceisgood
    Current run: 14 weeks
    Longest run: 8 weeks

Icewalker
    Longest run: 13 weeks

Mercenary Pen
    Current run: 5 weeks
    Longest run: 2 weeks

nersxe
    Current run: 1 week
    Longest run: 4 weeks

KerfuffleMach2

It's Mercenary Pen's turn to choose a theme

@Neorice: I don't have a good enought overview to judge if six pieces worth of art went into the pages for this week (e.g. with new, complex backgrounds or such?). Let me know if I should fix the status.

@Mercenary: Great job! It seems you are the only one here to finish NaNoWriMo, which - after having tried alongside a "real" life - I gotta say is really frikkin' cool. 'Grats
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2012-12-05 at 02:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

19. - Top - End - #799
    Troll in the Playground

It's Mercenary Pen's turn to choose a theme

@Mercenary: Great job! It seems you are the only one here to finish NaNoWriMo, which - after having tried alongside a "real" life - I gotta say is really frikkin' cool. 'Grats
    I must admit I did arrange time off from work to coincide with NaNo- but I've managed the ordinary 50k without time off work before.

Theme will be When life hands you rat poison
    Part of YugiohITP

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

*Peers at my standings*

Living on the streets in 1800s London, a barren snowscape, and then having the somewhat-pleasanter life that Samantha found in Arcadia come tumbling down around her ears by way of used as a reward for a successful hunt didn't count for 'Desolation', then, since this is the first theme I've gotten?

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Theme will be When life hands you rat poison
    Heh, interesting

*Peers at my standings*

Living on the streets in 1800s London, a barren snowscape, and then having the somewhat-pleasanter life that Samantha found in Arcadia come tumbling down around her ears by way of used as a reward for a successful hunt didn't count for 'Desolation', then, since this is the first theme I've gotten?
    I make the status either during breaks at school, or the moment I get home. I very rarely have time to read everything before I post. I will skim the texts to get a feel for them, and I will look at all drawings (since they take roughly a few seconds each to take in). Sometimes I read things fully if my schedule allows or a text just grabs me, but you can't count on it.

So - if you're a writer, and you lived up to the theme, it's likely I won't catch that. Let me know, and I'll account for it

(also: standings fixed)
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

I make the status either during breaks at school, or the moment I get home. I very rarely have time to read everything before I post. I will skim the texts to get a feel for them, and I will look at all drawings (since they take roughly a few seconds each to take in). Sometimes I read things fully if my schedule allows or a text just grabs me, but you can't count on it.

So - if you're a writer, and you lived up to the theme, it's likely I won't catch that. Let me know, and I'll account for it

(also: standings fixed)
    Makes sense. And thanks! (Honestly, I was sort of surprised I got this week's anyway, considering the 'reveal' was only threatened to occur, and that in the past, but I'm certainly not complaining...)

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ogre in the Playground

Makes sense. And thanks! (Honestly, I was sort of surprised I got this week's anyway, considering the 'reveal' was only threatened to occur, and that in the past, but I'm certainly not complaining...)
    I don't really decide if a work lives up to the theme. If you made the work with the theme in mind, or you feel it fits well, I'm not gonna argue (unless it's exceptionally out there, like claiming a phoenix fits a mermaid theme). The theme giver can step in, though, if s/he feels cause
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really decide if a work lives up to the theme. If you made the work with the theme in mind, or you feel it fits well, I'm not gonna argue (unless it's exceptionally out there, like claiming a phoenix fits a mermaid theme). The theme giver can step in, though, if s/he feels cause
    Fair enough. I was just a bit surprised to see how you classed that particular bit when I felt it to be somewhat tenuous. (Pleasantly surprised, mind, but still surprised.)

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

@Neorice: I don't have a good enought overview to judge if six pieces worth of art went into the pages for this week (e.g. with new, complex backgrounds or such?). Let me know if I should fix the status.
    These pages did take some more time because action pages & a new background are generally the hardest thing to do. But I honestly just forgot to send you my extra stuff again cause I totally conked out sunday. (stayed up till 2 am making pages then died lol..)

Honestly though, I kinda just forgot you to the other stuff I've done again.
    Last edited by Neoriceisgood; 2012-12-04 at 06:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Honestly though, I kinda just forgot you to the other stuff I've done again.
    Haha. It's been a while since that happened

I'm fixing the status post.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

What did that stuff I sent you count as, anyway?

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

What did that stuff I sent you count as, anyway?
    Hmm, still mulling it over... You could make a point for each verse of a structured, rhyming poem counting as a piece.

At least from my days of writing poems, I remember those taking a LOT of time compared to e.g. prose poems and haikus.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, still mulling it over... You could make a point for each verse of a structured, rhyming poem counting as a piece.

At least from my days of writing poems, I remember those taking a LOT of time compared to e.g. prose poems and haikus.
    They tend to take a fair bit more time than haikus, yes. I couldn't say for prose poems, though, never having done any of those.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hmm, having lost my streak as a result of food poisoning, plus this being finals week, I think I'm just going to take this week off. I'll be back the weekend after this one with the last chapter and a half of my novel.