New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    What if it's an especially long poem? I wrote a HUGE poem once that I don't mind sharing, just for sake of argument? Thoughts?
    I was thinking the same thing... Like what if the poem itself was essentially many poems that are relevantly used as one. Like when people separate really long sections of poems using stars and whatnot... I dunno...
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Viera Champion View Post
    I was thinking the same thing... Like what if the poem itself was essentially many poems that are relevantly used as one. Like when people separate really long sections of poems using stars and whatnot... I dunno...
    Or even things like ballads or epics. I have a poem thats got over a thousand words in it...which doesn't seem like it would count as just one. Maybe its similar to how images are, its dependant on more than one feature?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Barbarian in the Playground

How about asking the Iron Poet crowd for their opinion on how to count poems? Odds are that the only reason they haven't weighted in on the issue is because it's 'hidden' in the Challenge thread.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    from TORRENT OF WORDS
    Spoiler
    Show

Simple, but then there's the Guidelines, which make exceptions here and there, and sometimes they make no sense--at least, don't seem at all fair. While poems vs anything might seem "obvious" (I don't believe that just because they're short, they should count for less, at least not necessarily, since work was still put into them, though the amount varies as I've said), there's the 30-second film one. To anyone who's ever tried to animate, you know that a "finished" 30 second short film would be at least 720 finished frames, that would by right, posted individually, count for at least 1,440 or more works (assuming figure + background), making you good for basically several years of the CHALLENGE, and that's not counting editing work, writing, etc (stuff that goes into something non-animated as well)

This amazing student film, which no doubt took months and several hands (see credits) to complete, would only count for 3 (?!) creative works. (yes yes, not every frame was made from scratch but come on)
    The Challenge rules are a bit of a work-in-progress given how it started drawing-exclusive and expanded from there. No-one has participated with animation (that i can recall), therefore the rules for counting them are just a rough draft. I agree that counting by time doesn't work out fairly, but counting each frame individually feels a bit off as well. Submitting minor variations of the same picture is not forbidden, but it feels a bit cheap-ish.

I'd count animations as 1 piece per notable change*.

So for the linked film (re-linked for convenience) (spoilers below ) i'd count:
    Spoiler
    Show

-opening wave
    -running lizard
    -first background
    -telescope zoom-in
    -running lizard w. telescope
    -stoving telescope

-suddenly wings
    -gliding side perspective (no extra for the background, it's still the initial one)
    -leaping big lizard-thing
    -count 2 for the part where big lizard tries to eat the smaller one
    -smaller lizard bare escaped, looks back

-big lizard chasing
    -flings tongue
    -smaller lizard ensnared, reeled back
    -struggle
    -big lizard trying to stop
    -small lizard airborne

-second look at treasure
    -transformation/mimic reveal
    -[big nooooooo]
    -credits illustrations

So enough to cover almost 4 weeks. This is a conservative estimate, one could make a case for counting more things individually.
    Some of the planning stages work would certainly count as long as they pass the doodle check for illustrations or meet the requirements for creative writing. The music could certainly be counted, but for how many if multiple is not a call i'm comfortable making (not a musical person).
    Ultimately, the creator of a given work needs to ask that the work count for more than one and should present a "here's how many i'd count it as and why" list to go along with it.

If you think a rule or policy is unfair or otherwise flawed, feel free to make a suggestion for how to amend it. It's what i do . Far as i know there are no special judge's panel seats, everyone is free to make rules suggestions since no-one can be an expert on every form of creative work ever.

* a looped running animation has no notable changes but probably deserves to count as 2 (1 for the running character, 1 for animating it), depending on the complexity of the animation. Some sort of [is animated = +1] rule/guideline seems necessary, probably based on how detailed the character and how many/varied frames went into the animating.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Halfling in the Playground

Challenge accepted, in the writing division.
    Last edited by redfeatherraven; 2013-06-01 at 05:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Here's my stuff for the past week.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286034

6. - Top - End - #1056

Chapter Four of a WordGirl fanfiction I'm working on. 2156 words.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Violet straightened the living room.
    Violet messied the living room.
    Violet re-straightened the living room.
    Violet's mom stopped her with a hand on her shoulder as she headed out the back door.
    "Violet, are you all right?"
    "Oh, I'm fine. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to straighten all the grass in the backyard."
    Violet's mother put her other hand on her other shoulder. There was a long pause as she stared into her daughter's eyes.
    "Honey… I'm worried about you."
    "Why?"
    The elder Heaslip didn't answer.
    "I'm bored, Mom. I've been waiting for high school to start since the beginning of ninth grade, and even though there are only a few more weeks…" Violet finished her sentence with a sigh.
    Violet's mother returned the sigh.
    "Oh, Vi, I understand how it can be when you're waiting for something big to happen. I was just as antsy the summer before I started high school. Have you tried a collage?"
    Antsy? Something big? Oh, Mom, you don't know the half of it.
    "Um…" began Violet, "I dunno about collage. That and origami were always your things. I'm really not sure what to do…"
    As if on cue, the family phone rang. Since Violet was closer, she picked it up.
    "Hello, Violet speaking."
    "Vi!" Becky's voice rang through the tinny speaker. Violet winced slightly. It always felt weird when Becky used Todd's pet name for her.
    Still, Violet was pleased to talk to Becky. Yesterday's meeting had been too brief, as both girls had needed to eat dinner.
    "Hey, Becky."
    "You doing anything today?"
    Violet had been about to say "yes," but then she remembered it probably wouldn't be the best of ideas to tell people about Seraph. Or magic. Or probably even the paints and brushes. Violet frowned, forgetting for a moment that her mother could see her. Keeping secrets was weird.
    "No, not really." She hoped her mom would assume she'd merely been thinking.
    "Great! You wanna come play tennis?"
    "Oh, I don't know, Becky, you're a lot better than me. I mean, you're so athletic…"
    "Oh, no, this would be doubles. It was The— uh, Tobey's idea."
    That was right, Becky had started going out with Tobey. Though Violet couldn't deny she'd seen it coming since… well, fifth grade, really, it was still somewhat jarring to see their belligerent flirting transition so quickly through playful friendship to synergic courtship.
    "That sounds fair. Who're we playing with, Bob?" The suggestion was a joke. Violet hoped Becky had a double date in mind.
    "Actually, would you mind calling Scoops up?" Becky was the only one Violet knew who still used the old nickname.
    "Sure, that sounds cool! Where should we meet?"
    "You know the tennis courts by the park?"
    "I know the park, and I can probably find the courts."
    "Great! Is ten too early?"
    Violet glanced at the wall clock. 8:46.
    "Nah, that sounds about good. See you then!"
    "Bye, Violet!"
    Violet hung up, and as she dialed Todd's number, she said, "Mom, Becky wants to play tennis at ten. That OK with you?"
    "Fine with me, sweetie. Want me to take you to the courts?"
    Violet held up a finger. She could hear the line ringing.
    "Hello?" It was Mrs. Ming.
    "Hey, this is Violet. Can I talk to Todd?"
    "Sure thing, darling." Violet heard Todd's mother yell something in Chinese. The sounds of commotion followed, and soon enough, Todd's familiar voice came on.
    "Hey, Vi. Mom said you wanted to talk to me?"
    "Yeah, Becky just called me. Wanna go on a double date? It's tennis."
    "Sounds like a great idea! What time?"
    "Ten. You need a ride? My mom says she can give us one."
    "That sounds good."
    Violet covered the mouthpiece. "Mom, when will we pick up Todd?"
    "At ten 'till, Violet." Mrs. Heaslip seemed amused that Violet hadn't actually asked before offering her services.
    "Great!" She uncovered the phone. "Mom says to be ready at 9:50."
    "Super, see you then!"
    "Awesome!"
    "And Vi?" His voice was tender.
    "Yes?"
    "I love you."
    "You too, Todd."
    With a wide smile the teenage girl hung up the phone.
    "We've got tennis rackets, right?"
    ---
    There were indeed tennis rackets in the garage, though it took a bit of hunting to find them. Violet had only a half hour left to eat and change into her new outfit from her grubby pajamas.
    At 9:50, the Heaslip car pulled into the Ming driveway, and as Violet opened the door to get out and fetch Todd, the teenage boy stepped out of his front door. She noticed that he was wearing his junior high clothes: a lime-green shirt and jeans. Violet glanced at her high school clothes and wondered if she should have done the same. She decided it couldn't hurt. The skirt had plenty of mobility.
    "Hey, Todd," she said as the Asian boy climbed into the backseat and fastened his seatbelt.
    "Right on time as always, Vi." He set his racket on the two seats next to him, and there was chatter in the small car all the way to the park.
    Both Becky and Tobey were wearing summer clothes when Violet and Todd met up with them. Shorts, T-shirts, and sneakers. A matching pair. Did they plan this? thought Violet, and she felt a small twinge of envy toward the other couple. It soon vanished, and Violet was left with an uneasy feeling in her stomach. I'm not usually so jealous… She hoped this wasn't a magical side effect.
    The negativity passed as the four friends united and made their way to the vacant courts, and soon Violet was able to put it out of her mind.
    "All right, how should we pair up?" asked Becky. "Girls vs. guys? Couples on the same team?"
    "Why not rotate?" suggested Scoops.
    "Sounds like a good idea," Tobey said. "But whoever's against Becky at the time should get a head start." The blond teen grinned as his girlfriend playfully punched him in the shoulder and smooched his cheek.
    "That seems fair, actually," said Violet, and the other three laughed, especially the boys. When Violet realized they weren't making fun of her, she joined in.
    ---
    The hours passed quickly as the four teens played. Violet enjoyed each of her partners, though predictably, Becky's team won nearly every match, and Violet suspected she and Todd had thrown the one they hadn't.
    Tobey was easily the least athletic, so whenever he was with Violet, she let him stand in the front of the court so she could catch the serves he missed. It was kind of funny watching him frantically dash from side to side, and Violet giggled to herself whenever Becky gave him tips. She seemed to like using the standard flirty method of coaching: reaching her arms around his body to position his hands. Violet could tell from his expression — and blushing — that he enjoyed Becky's advice.
    Though Todd wasn't nearly as good as Becky, he was Violet's favorite partner. She felt they worked together better than she did with either of the others, even though that meant they lost even more handily to Becky and Tobey's teamwork. It seemed Becky was able to use Tobey's… unique abilities (well, lack thereof) to her advantage, and it was clear the two worked well together.
    Becky was a great partner, but Violet really enjoyed, from an artistic perspective, watching her move. There was a grace, an ease, a flair even to her every action, and Violet struggled to figure out the best way to describe it. Eventually, after staring at Becky's perfect form, the way everything seemed to come so naturally to her, Violet concluded the best word was "lightness." Becky carried herself as though her body weighed nothing at all, like the racket was made of styrofoam. She's like an angel… thought Violet.
    She almost didn't notice the constant looks Tobey and Becky shared, the smirks, the way it seemed like they were sharing an inside joke. But she did notice, and she felt her stomach sink. Is she keeping a secret from me? Maybe it's just something that happened between the two of them only… but I think I feel a little less guilty about not telling her about magic. She just wouldn't understand.
    As the foursome played, the late morning turned into early afternoon, and a few hours after they started, the water cooler was empty.
    "Aw, I guess it's time to go home now," said Becky. "Great games, everyone!"
    Todd rubbed his chin. "Hey, I think I have an idea for one last match."
    ---
    "You can't be serious," protested Becky for the last time. But the other three stood on the opposite side of the court relentlessly. Tobey even tapped his foot, though he had a massive grin.
    "Pfft, fine," conceded the brunette.
    "Don't go easy on us!" teased Violet.
    "No, really," said Todd. "If you can beat us, feel free."
    Becky crossed her arms.
    "OK, OK, let's just start then!"
    As Becky walked over to the ball bucket, the three opposing teenagers took their positions. Tobey was in the front center, while Violet and Scoops stood symmetrically in the back. Violet stepped back when Becky got ready to serve.
    The serve was a lot faster than Violet had expected, and she barely managed to catch the ball with her racket. The surprising force reverberated through her bones, and Violet saw it land just inside the lines. Becky was quick — almost too quick — to return the tennis ball, which bounced past Violet.
    The game flew by quickly at first, but gradually the three humans acclimatized to the stiff competition Becky brought, and her points came slower and slower. They could all tell she gave several points away to increase the drama, but it never felt like she was really going easy on them — just saving her best performance for last. Finally, when everyone except Becky was panting and practically begging for mercy, she ended it with a quick, forceful stroke.
    Tobey flopped to the ground, and Todd and Violet hunched over, panting and perspiring more than they had in weeks.
    ---
    "I don't know how you do it, Becky," huffed Violet between turns at the park's singular drinking fountain. Though anyone could taste the traces of chlorine, they all drank copiously, even Becky.
    "Uh… lots of practice?"
    Everyone laughed. Todd choked on his water, and Violet had to slap him on the back.
    ---
    The four walked home together, chatting all the while. What started out as a group conversation eventually splintered into a pair of parallel conversations between the couples.
    Todd's house was the closest to the park, and he and Violet shared a brief kiss before he retreated into his house. As the glass door closed and he turned around, Violet could have sworn she saw splotches of yellow-blond hair on the back of Todd's head… but those could easily be reflections on the door.
    Tobey's house, though it was next, was more than two blocks away. He and Becky chatted as Violet quietly walked behind.
    "See, I told you you were better than the three of us put together! Although I think by the end you were showing off…"
    Becky playfully shushed her boyfriend, whispering something Violet was barely unable to catch.
    What's going on? she wondered.
    It was a relief when the threesome arrived at the MacAllister residence and Claire opened the door to let her son in.
    Finally, alone time with Becky, thought Violet. I won't push her about it, but if she mentions what she and Tobey are joking about, I'll tell her everything.
    Unfortunately, Becky began yammering about how excited she was for high school. Violet managed to get in a couple of thoughts, but, as usual, the Botsford girl dominated the conversation.
    As Becky unlocked her front door, Violet waved.
    "See ya later… best friend…"
    "You too! BFF!"
    Violet began the solo walk home, remembering a conversation from years ago.
    "Becky? Are we still… BFFs?"
    Becky had proven herself, and Violet knew she was probably being unfair to her best friend, but… she'd never been able to shake the sense that Becky was hiding something big from her.
    "Guess I can join the club," she muttered miserably.
    Violet could never stay sad for long, and by the time she got home, she was all smiles again. She gushed to her mother about every detail, and announced her desire to do this every Tuesday. She even added a handful of tiles to the Good Things Mosaic. (Usually, each Good Thing only warranted one tile.)
    One thing above all others kept Violet on the absolute top of the world through dinner and the dishes, and when it was finally time, she dashed to her room, locked the door, and flicked on the light.
    "It's about time," said Seraph with a grin. "Ready to get started?"
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ogre in the Playground

Poem post

Thank you to everyone who has weighed in on the poem issue! I've been a bit off since I barely finished my assignment before getting sick. But time to comment!

I mean we do this off the honor system, so if anyone does break their poems into smaller pieces for more points or whatnot, they're really only detracting from their own experience.
    True. But it's still nice to avoid blatant exploitation or for others to feel like they're being cheated.

(not aimed at anyone in particular, just general observation based on flyingchicken's post)

If they are different poems with different schemes or themes, they would count for one piece each. At least, that seems fair to me.

Or even things like ballads or epics. I have a poem thats got over a thousand words in it...which doesn't seem like it would count as just one. Maybe its similar to how images are, its dependant on more than one feature?
    A thousand words = four pieces. I definitely think that if a poems gets long enough, word counts can become relevant (really long epics stretch the line between poems and stories, anyway).

But again - since poems are more difficult than prose, this might not feel fair?

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    How about asking the Iron Poet crowd for their opinion on how to count poems? Odds are that the only reason they haven't weighted in on the issue is because it's 'hidden' in the Challenge thread.
    A fine idea. If no one else does it, I'll do it one of the following days.

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    *about animation*
    What Essay said

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    It might not seem fair if someone else is holding themselves to a lower standard, or that they're not skilled enough to achieve some standard given the same amount of time, but isn't the point of this a self-driving thing with a bit of peer pressure? Then again, it's a bit demoralizing if you feel like you're doing more work than others are (even if it just seems that way).
    This, this, this!

I also want to say, as a general response to no one in particular, while complete fairness would be awesome to accomplish, it is impossible within the Challenge. I can churn out an inked drawing in 30 minutes (and have often done so for the Challenge), but that still counts equally to a lovingly shaded and detailed piece which easily takes 4 hours. There is a pretty significant margin that we can't really overcome, which is why a "piece" is generally decided by a minimum and not a medium.
    Of course, all within reason, and if we can find a way to count complicated poems on a more stable than case-by-case basis, I'm all for that! We just need to keep in mind that we can bring the margin down, but never eliminate it.

Anyway, specifically on poems: It sounds like the general wish is to remove the verses-as-pieces ruling. So for now, we're back to one poem = one piece with exceptions made for poems-within-poems and above-word-count-length poems.
    Building on what C'nor said, would a minimum line length for non-haikus make sense? (either "one poem should be above X lines" or "the average line length for a week's poems should be X" or similar).

Everything is still up in the air, we just need some placeholder rules until the Iron Poets save us

Welcoming add-on

Hi redfeatherraven, welcome to the Challenge! Good to have you on board
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

Status post!

Glass Mouse passes with 3.065 words of sci-fi story.

Lycunadari passes with two drawings, three photos and a poem.

TheWombatOfDoom didn't upload/send me anything.

C'nor didn't upload/send me anything.

Viera Champion is on hold until June.

MeanMrsMustard passes with 2.156 words of story.

D.KnightSpider passes with 1.409 words of short story and 277 words of reflections on "round".

Thus, TheWombatOfDoom and C'nor FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycundari, MeanMrsMustard and D.KnightSpider PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 136 weeks
    Longest run: -
    Themes: -

Lycunadari
    Current run: 22 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 3 weeks

C'nor
    Longest run: 11 weeks

Viera Champion
    Longest run: 2 weeks

MeanMrsMustard
    Current run: 7 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 1 week
    Themes: 1 week

The theme was never chosen, so it is up for grabs - first person to declare it in the thread gets to decide!

Next week's theme is chosen by Viera Champion - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2013-06-03 at 06:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't forget about riddles! Those are like haiku's right?

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget about riddles! Those are like haiku's right?
    I'm not sure they need their own category. If anything, Tolkien proved that riddles can be any length
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

Apologies for not sending anything in. My internet has been cutting in and out for the past two days.

12. - Top - End - #1062

As it's now Friday, perhaps we should declare a wildcard week?

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ettin in the Playground

This Week's Theme! Indecision! (or wildcard)

World Building Projects:
    Magic

14. - Top - End - #1064

709 words of DMing for my new play-by-post:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was an unseasonably warm late autumn day in the bustling city of Bıv. Despite the thick summer-like heat, its cobbled streets were more crowded than they typically already were. Bright orange and yellow banners hung from the windows, while similarly-colored ribbons lined the roads. Citizens wore rosettes on their festive clothes as they wandered between shops, and performers sang and played lively traditional tunes.
    Even to a complete outsider, it was obvious to anyone who didn't live under a rock that Bıv was in the throes of a massive festival. And even if the person didn't pick up on the hints initially, he or she would eventually wander into a tavern, shop, or inn and see the advertised "low festival prices!"
    Asking around, one would discover this week, and more importantly, this particular day, marked the fiftieth birthday of a prominent nobleman: Andreas Bórgova.
    Though many activities were held in parallel, the excitement seemed to draw everyone in one particular direction: toward the center of town, where an impressive event was taking place. Shop tents and sideshow attractions, including a muzzled chimera, lined the square, where a massive stage dominated nearly half of the courtyard.
    Jugglers, magicians, and other performers took turns on this stage, juggling impressive numbers (and varieties!) of objects, conjuring requests from the audience, and otherwise entertaining the crowd in the packed city square. Every hour or so, a minstrel would take the stage and announce to everyone just how splendid Andreas Bórgova was.
    On an elevated platform at the back of the stage, in front of the burgundy curtains, was a throne, and upon this throne sat the big man himself.
    He was a rather portly fellow, clad in the orange and yellow of the Bórgova crest. The flowing robes did a rather good job of hiding his plumpness, though his round, soft face betrayed the fact. His wavy greying hair still retained signs of its auburn origins. His unusually sharp nose was flanked by two small, dark eyes. It was impossible to tell what his original complexion was, as white makeup had been applied to his entire face, as well as outlandish highlights on his eyelids and cheeks.
    A pair of guards flanked Bórgova's throne, blending into the shadows.
    As a magic act finished, two men and a woman, clearly half-elvish siblings given their pointy ears, similar coloration, and bangs, which would never be allowed in elven society, took the stage. One of the men was taller than the woman, and the other was shorter than his sister. They all had the same shaggy dark brown hair. One of the men and the woman were pushing a covered cage onstage, and all three carried whips.
    The woman pulled the cover from the cage to reveal a gryphon inside, and the crowd gasped as the tallest of the three unlocked the door.
    The tall animal trainer gave an oily smirk as he cracked his whip in the air. The gryphon leapt out of the cage, spreading its wings and giving a lion's roar. It took to the air, flying in a dangerously low circle just above the crowd's heads. It landed on the stage again, where the shorter man stroked its head and the woman pulled a smelly hunk of meat from a sack. The raw flesh disappeared quickly into the gryphon's hungry beak.
    "Ladies and gentlemen," called the tall trainer. "My name is Émille, and we are the Family Patekka. The mighty beast you see before you was once a ferocious creature of the wild, but thanks to the hard work of my brother and sister, Featherburn is now as tame as any family's beloved dog."
    The woman pushed up some of Featherburn's neck feathers to reveal a bright red collar.
    The shorter brother spoke up. "At the end of today, we are presenting Featherburn here as a gift to Lord Bórgova, in commemoration of his house's… service to the community of Bıv." It was clear from his tone that he disagreed with Bórgova's idea of "service."
    "But until then, Featherburn — and our family — is at the service of the people. He'll give rides — only 20 gold!— and perform tricks, all based on your requests!" She pointed into the crowd.

Sister's twelfth birthday.
    Genderswap of a previous OC.
    A Twitter avatar.
    A Twitter header.
    EDIT: Whoops. Fixed the link.
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2013-06-12 at 10:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ogre in the Playground

The late theme means that no one loses their streak, but anyone following it gains a point. For future reference, if no one has chosen a theme by the start of the week (like the previous, and this, week), anyone can declare a theme. Hopefully that will prevent Friday themes in the future

Glass Mouse passes with 1.313 words of sci-fi story and three late-night photos.

Lycunadari passes with six photos of flowers and bugs.

C'nor didn't upload/send me anything.

Are you back now?

MeanMrsMustard passes with 709 words of RPG DMing, three pony drawings and a present.

D.KnightSpider passes with 1.610 words of story.

Thus, TheWombatOfDoom and C'nor FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycundari, MeanMrsMustard and D.KnightSpider PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 137 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 23 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom

C'nor

Viera Champion

MeanMrsMustard
    Current run: 8 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 2 weeks
    Themes: 1 week

The theme was never chosen, so it is up for grabs - first person to declare it in the thread gets to decide!

Next week's theme is chosen by MeanMrsMustard - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

I tried to follow the theme in my writing, but the scene took an entirely different turn than expected. But it got me started, so I'm gonna regard it as a win even without the counter

@MeanMrsMustard: There's a repeat in your links, meaning I can only see three different drawings. It looks like an honest mistake, so you pass without problem if you fix it
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ogre in the Playground

Blugh. Been sick the past two days, hence the lack of stuff. Sorry about that. I'll try to get back on it next week.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground

Good to hear. Hope you feel better
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Good to hear. Hope you feel better
    As do I.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ettin in the Playground

OH! OK. SO no theme this week yet? Mist! (or Missed if you want to pun )
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-06-10 at 08:13 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Sounds enteresting I'd like to (try to) join the challenge.

Also, where do I submit the art?
    Last edited by Kingkorb5207; 2013-06-12 at 07:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ettin in the Playground

You can either send glass_mouse the picture directly, post it here, or link it here. just as long as glass knows how to find it, you're good.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

What the Wombat said. Welcome to the Challenge
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

23. - Top - End - #1073

Apologies, but I suspect I'll be failing this week. I intended to type a story which I could serialize, and in fact have an on-topic idea, but have been too busy with the setting to finish it; in brief I have approximately 1200 words typed as of the present moment, but none of it satisfies the theme.

I should have things wrapped up nicely in time for next week's theme. I'll try to complete the mist topic on my own time; I'm very fond of the idea I had in mind.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The themes are optional. If what you produce doesn't match the CHALLENGE theme, then you aren't really penalized. You get a kudos if you do produce something that matches the theme, but that's about it.

I'm in the same boat, really. I had a nifty little idea for mist but it's taken me 1,700 words to set things up for its proper execution, and I'm anticipating another 3,000 words-- at least-- to do it justice. So, I'm just going to post what I have to keep my Challenge streak going and then finish it over the course of the next several weeks.

Frankly, sometimes it's not worth worrying about the Theme. Especially if there's something else that you want to get done.
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2013-06-16 at 06:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ettin in the Playground

Glad that my topic inspired! Even if the length is becoming problematic.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

26. - Top - End - #1076

If themes weren't optional, I'd probably fail every week. .-.
    But they are! Yay!
    OotSifications of my MLP OCs. Because I like OotS and I like ponies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    6 required:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2013-06-16 at 11:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1077

I quite appreciate the thought, but these writings are far from finished pieces. I feel submitting them would be much like showing up to a pie judging contest with a single blueberry, a cup of flour, and part of the recipe (with "cherry" scribbled out and a hastily-scrawled "blueberry" in its place), which at present calls for wombat eggs.

If you think that analogy was incoherent, imagine what the writing's like.

At any rate I do have enough volume, per se. 2051 without headers (or completion, or sanity, or revision - real stripped-down work), so I'll throw all common sense to the wind and fire them out. If they don't quite qualify, it'll be good research and better infrastructure for the works that do.

I'm short a permanent place at present, so here's one that's good for 90 days:
    http://temp-share.com/show/Pf3YC8hq2

God help you if you read through it, but there it is.
    Last edited by redfeatherraven; 2013-06-17 at 01:04 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sorry for my continual lack of submissions. Real life has been kicking my butt lately, and unfortunatly now I'm sick. Brain dead wombat. *collapses in heap*

World Building Projects:
    Magic

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

Dunno if these count, but I made a whole ton of MtG cards lately, sooo...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Least of My Kind - 3GG
    Enchantment - Aura
    When enchanted creature is removed from play, its controller puts two X/X tokens of the same creature type, with one keyword possessed by that creature, where X is equal to that creature’s P/T +1, onto the battlefield.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hunter's Mark - XGG
    Enchantment - Aura
    Whenever enchanted creature is blocked, all blocking creatures get -X/-X until end of turn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grafted Claws - 3G
    Artifact - Equipment
    Enchanted creature gets +4/+0, and any creature dealt damage by it gets one -1/-1 counter at the start of its controller’s upkeep, for a number of turns equal to that creature’s Power.
    Whenever Grafted Claws becomes unattached from a permanent, sacrifice that permanent.
    Equip 2

Spoiler
    Show
    Deathmask - 3B
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature in a graveyard. Exile enchanted creature.
    Add an Artifact token with Equip 2 that grants one keyword from the exiled creature to the battlefield. If the enchantment is removed from play, sacrifice this token.

Spoiler
    Show
    Daughter of Lilium - 4RR
    Creature - Human Cleric
    Flying
    R: Daughter of Lilium gains Double Strike until end of turn.
    When Daughter of Lilium attacks, you may pay R to have her deal damage equal to her power distributed between up to X creatures, where X is Daughter of Lilium’s Power.
    4/4

Spoiler
    Show
    Dokuzetsu - 3G
    Creature - Insect
    Vigilance
    TG: Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
    No-one bothered giving these a name before the Kamigawans, and no-one knows why they picked that one, but it’s stuck.
    2/2

Spoiler
    Show
    Fan of Cyan - 2UU
    Sorcery
    Deal three damage to one creature, two damage to another, and one damage to a third.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unstable Sable - 4BB
    Sorcery
    Return three creatures from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control. Add a +3/-3 counter to one, a +2/-2 counter to another, and a +1/-1 counter to the third.

Spoiler
    Show
    Daughter of the Hunt - 1GG
    Creature - Human Werewolf
    When Daughter of the Hunt dies, transform her instead. If Daughter of the Hunt would be killed by a Human, add a -1/-1 counter to that Human.
    1/1
    ---
    Broken Packmate - N/A
    Whenever this creature transforms into Broken Packmate, add two 2/2 Werewolf tokens to the battlefield under your control.
    Broken Packmate cannot attack or block.
    0/1

Spoiler
    Show
    Green Growth - 2GG
    Sorcery
    Add a 3/3 Green Plant token, a 2/2 Green Plant token, and a 1/1 Green plant token to the battlefield under your control.

Spoiler
    Show
    Packcaller - 2GG
    Trample
    T: Put a 2/2 Green Werewolf token with Trample onto the battlefield.
    G: Transform Packcaller. Activate this ability only if you control five or more werewolves.
    3/3
    ---
    Trusted Beta - N/A
    Trample
    Other Werewolf creatures you control get +2/+2.
    T: Put a 2/2 Green Werewolf token with Trample onto the battlefield.
    5/5

Spoiler
    Show
    Starving Orphan - 3R
    T: Tap two other Werewolves you control. Transform Starving Orphan.
    1/1
    ---
    Channel of Hunger - N/A
    Creature - Werewolf Avatar
    Intimidate
    Whenever Channel of Hunger deals combat damage to a player, put two +1/+1 counters on it.
    2/2

Spoiler
    Show
    Hunting Sisters - 2RR
    Vigilance
    R, T: Transform Hunting Sisters. Activate this ability only if Hunting Sisters have attacked this turn.
    3/3
    ---
    Packsworn Battledancers - N/A
    Creature - Werewolf
    Vigilance
    Bloodthirst 3 (If an opponent was dealt damage this turn, this creature enters the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on it.)
    All Werewolf creature spells you cast or transform have Bloodthirst 3.
    3/3
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2013-06-17 at 10:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ogre in the Playground

Status!

Glass Mouse passes with seven drawings, including a Challenge prize.

Lycunadari passes with five photos of forest life and one painting.

C'nor passes with thirteen MtG card texts.

When?

MeanMrsMustard passes with eight pony-riffic OotS avatars.

D.KnightSpider passes with 1,760 words of fantasy story about a battle interrupted by mist.

redfeatherraven passes with 2,133 words of story notes.

Thus, TheWombatOfDoom FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycundari, C'nor, MeanMrsMustard and D.KnightSpider PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 138 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 24 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom

C'nor

Viera Champion

MeanMrsMustard
    Current run: 9 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 3 weeks
    Themes: 2 weeks

redfeatherraven

The theme, chosen by MeanMrsMustard, is Over-Under

Next week's theme is chosen by D.KnightSpider - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

@redfeatherraven: There's not really a quality demand for writings the way there is with drawings (that's what the 250 word minimum is for). So 2000 words is fine. The only potential problem is that you can't really re-submit the edited pieces, so it might bite you back in the future.
    However! Your link doesn't work for me. I'll try again tomorrow, but I might need another, workable link to pass you for this week

@C'nor: It's been a gazillion years since I last had anything to do with MtG, but I suppose it makes sense that one card = one piece, like with poems. If I hear no protests from more capable individuals, I'm counting it as such.
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2013-06-23 at 01:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge