New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

My entries for this week; two photos, some origami, and three inkwash paintings.
    Spoiler: A Couple of Photos
    Show

These are from a local park, in a less developed and somewhat overgrown part of it.

Spoiler: Some Fan Origami
    Show

Not origami fans. I made the wolf family from Princess Mononoke, since I've been working through the Miyazaki films. They use a pattern like the fox I made before.

Spoiler: With All the Decorum He Could Muster
    Show

A random scruffy-looking guy in a greatcoat. I have since come to realize that the vast majority of such coats in fact button on the other side. Perhaps he is from a mirror world.

Spoiler: A Character Portrait
    Show

My character Lars Larsen, whom I play in this game.

Spoiler: A Stack o' Tropes
    Show

So, I put a wolf in a trench-coat. Then I gave him katanas. Which he dual-wields. And wears on sheaths belted across his chest.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm afraid I'll fail this week. I currently lack the means to document what I did and would have been 1 work short anyway.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Halfling in the Playground

I too seem to be coming up short this week.

I have sufficient words, but in physical documents, which I haven't typed up for submission. Sad mistake, but there you have it.

I'll be prepared next week, never fear.

4. - Top - End - #1444

Entries and stuff.

Spoiler: Drabbles (1000 words total)
    Show
    Making history

The blunt sounds of the trumpets pushed their way over the fields. Those wearing the color of the vanquished faced their doom. The general's men had surrounded them, grasping weapons. Making history. The glorious army had fallen.

Surrender, groaned the trumpets.

Some desperate few raised their swords. One last charge. Some infinitesimally tiny spark of hope left, perhaps. Homes and smiling faces, blown away by those notes.

They fell quickly, the arrows planted upright like little flags. The other flag was already stained with the blood of its defenders and torn by the sharpness of the wind and the blades.

Rivalry

The glass of the window was obscured by a sheet of running water, the lamplight barely making its way outside. He sat by the window as he had done since the storm had started, since every storm had started. The old, steadfast beams of his home had held up through them all. Through the ages.

Leaning back, he closed his eyes, listening to the ceaseless, rhythmic beating of the rain on the roof. The fluid wail of the winds. The song of the storms. It was a rivalry, he supposed, to the somehow musical groanings and mutterings of his house.

Unbreakable

They had stood since the beginning of time, always watching. Silent sentinels. They had seen countless years, countless lives, nations, empires rise and fall in the streams of Time. And still they stood, unbreakable, the bones of the long-lost lying sad in the darkness.

But they were not immortal. They could not be hewn down, but they knew they were not forever. The great river Time seemed to pass them by, but its waters rubbed against them.

The faces of the eldest ones were already lost. Smooth surfaces, worn down by countless waves of Time.

They stood, watching in sadness.

Obsession

Their spines marched across the shelves, stripes of color and strips of letters proclaiming doorways to other places. You had just finished with the bottom two rows. And yet there were more, more calling out to you.

Your friends--but they weren't really your friends--called you crazy, called it an obsession. That word had a horrible sound, like something that would eat you and your house and your world up.

You didn't like that. But you knew what your real friends were. You had journeyed to a thousand lands, lived a thousand lives with them. And they didn't call you crazy.

Eternity

She gazed into the blackness. An eternity, they had said. They hadn't really meant it, of course, but it had felt like one all the same.

Where were the stars?

Clouds, she told herself. Too many nights now the skies had been hidden, her one comfort denied. Many thousands of miles lay between them, and yet she was still able to see the same stars, the same moon he did.

The lantern beside her sputtered. But she wasn't ready to give in. Not yet. Not again. She would stay this time. She stayed, waiting. Waiting in the dark. An eternity.

Death

So this was what it was like. Was it the same for everyone? This slow, muted fading into darkness?

She supposed it wasn't darkness, quite. More like...well, it just was. Not dark, or light, or bad, or good, or anything. It just was.

There were clashings, people shouting. It was all far away. It didn't concern her. She had barely felt the coldness that had started her on this fading.

She could see others around her, their eyes staring at the same softness she was seeing. But she couldn't see them; they couldn't see her. Death was a solitary event.

Opportunity

The crate was just lying there in the shadows. Alone. Unattended. What a shame. What a lovely opportunity. You'd prevent it from going to waste. Of course.

No one was looking. No one cared. A few quick steps, and you were in the shadows. Just a few nails in the wood. A crowbar would suffice. You set to your work. No one was looking. No one cared.

A splintering creaking, cracking. You eagerly peer inside.

Nothing.

Cold rage starts welling up inside you. What person would do this, cheat you out of your right? It was yours. Your opportunity. Gone.

33%

For all it was worth, she'd probably survive. Only a 33% mortality rate. Or so they said. The cold, clean, neat numbers never matched with the harsh screams of reality.

She checked her supplies for the hundredth time. First aid. Rations. Ammo. Water. The strap slung diagonally across her chest was chaffing, so she readjusted her rifle. Ready. On paper, at least. They tried their best to prepare you, to teach you, to mold you. But they could only do so much.

Inhaling deeply, she punched in the final code. The final door slid open. Sunlight. Breezes. She'd probably survive.

Dead Wrong

The dead branches snapped and cracked as she plunged through the underbrush. Dead. Like she would be. She had been dead wrong, and now she would be dead.

It was following, she new. Crashing its way through the forest. Too much eyes, too much teeth. Her rifle was useless now. She might be able to make it back. If she was fast enough.

She wasn't fast enough. She knew that. Whirling around for a brief second, she hurled her empty rifle at the abomination following her. Then she ran, not waiting to see the results. If any.

Dead wrong. Dead.

Running Away

The night was silent, deserted. He was glad of that. The window creaked slightly when he tried to push it open, but no one stirred. He slid out.

The book bounced in the bag against his thin back. He had just made his torturous way through the first chapter when they had tried to take it. But they wouldn't ever, now. He was running away. Like the boy in the book.

There had been some crackers in the kitchen. Not nearly enough for anything, he knew. But better than nothing.

His bare feet carried him softly away into the dark.

Spoiler: Writing which turned into sort of free verse (520 words)
    Show
    The blue lights flare
    as you walk along. Light
    and dark. A gateway

to the next -- to the
    next world? Where are
    you going? Whence have

you come? And then you
    realize that the questions
    are not in your head. A

voice is floating out
    from the grey. Calling
    to you. Who is there,

watching you in the dark?
    Dark, and light. Perhaps
    a gatekeeper. You peer

into the gloom. It's not
    despair, really, though.
    Just dark, not evil, not

good. It just is. You can't
    make out anything. The voice
    continues. It's almost like

a song, a tapestry of
    melodies and fragments
    of thoughts. *Where are

you going? Whence have
    you come?* Then silence,
    heavy with expectancy

of an answer. But though you
    trawl through your memories,
    your fragmented thoughts,

you can't seem to remember
    why. Did you even know
    in the first place? It's

hard to tell. The memories
    have been dissolving for
    a while, ever since you

started your journey in
    the dark. *Where are you
    going? Whence have you

come?* You count the blue
    lights, floating like
    stars, or fireflies, in

the dusk. Trying to think,
    trying to remember. Why is
    it so elusive? You can't

even recall the last time
    you watched the real dusk
    standing on a hill, waiting

for the stars. The stars,
    and the rain, little drops
    falling, falling, falling,

striking the leaves and the
    blades of grass and the stones
    with musical preciseness,

until everything turns to
    a ceaseless pounding roar.
    But perhaps that is the

roar of the sea you are now
    remembering, with the cry of
    the gulls and the soaring

terns. You don't know. You
    can't tell anymore. Should
    you be sorrowful? Most people

would assume a sort of
    melancholy. Somehow it doesn't
    seem altogether sad, though,

more like you've given up
    those memories in exchange
    for something else. Something

greater? But you don't remember
    now, and you won't again. The
    voice is still there. *Where

are you going? Whence have
    you come?* The blue lights
    flicker as you traverse this

gateway. Light and dark. You
    would answer, tell the gatekeeper
    that the answers are lost,

but they are not the only
    things lost. Your voice has
    dissolved, too, along with

everything else. You remember --
    is it truly recalling, or are
    you fabricating, welding bits

and pieces of leftover thoughts
    together to fill the emptiness?
    -- you remember sending it away

at the start of your journey,
    lifting it up in one last song
    for the ages. It had floated

away, as you watched. Strange.
    You had never seen the colors
    of a human voice. You did then,

and perhaps you regretted doing
    the deed, as you watched the strands
    drift upward, away, colored threads

tying to the stars. You watched as
    it wove into the tapestry of the
    night sky, with thousands of other

voices, each singing a song of
    eternity. One last song for the
    ages. One last song for the souls

of the silent. They were silent
    now, like yourself. *Where are you
    going? Whence have you come?* A

gateway. Light and dark. Blue
    lights fading.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it just me, or am I noticing a distinct lack of Glass Mouse... Hope everything is okay!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Is it just me, or am I noticing a distinct lack of Glass Mouse... Hope everything is okay!
    Yeah I wonder what happened to Mouse, this must be the first time ever she's this late.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

7. - Top - End - #1447

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I hope so too...

8. - Top - End - #1448

She's posted to her webcomic, so at a minimum it seems Ms. Mouse is fine.

It does feel emptier without her in the thread, however.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by redfeatherraven View Post
    She's posted to her webcomic, so at a minimum it seems Ms. Mouse is fine.

It does feel emptier without her in the thread, however.
    She doesn't have an automated buffer, right? My own comic updates without my personal interference.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

10. - Top - End - #1450

I really hope she's okay.

Also, her inbox is full, so I'm posting my stuff here.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ogre in the Playground

I really hope she's fine :S

In other news, I've decided to join either way. I'm rewriting my novel from French into English and working on the first draft. First draft because everything goes from sounding amazing in French to terrible in English so there will be more, but for now I'm just trying my hardest to put it all out there in English, reworking it can come later.

So this past week, I haven't done much I guess: I started on Friday, and Saturday I was at a party all day. But here goes:

Every week I'll give the wordcount so far, and the wordcount for that specific week (total minus previous week's total).

12. - Top - End - #1452

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    She doesn't have an automated buffer, right? My own comic updates without my personal interference.
    I honestly haven't a clue. I recall her stating she produced the comics in advance, however, so it's certainly possible.

At the risk of seeming odd I tried a bit of searching, but can't pull anything besides radio silence.

I know this has been said a lot, but to echo it, I hope everything's okay.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, I'm not actively participating in the Challenge for the time being, but I'll echo everyone else, and say that I hope everything's OK with Glass Mouse.

I'm also pretty sure that I'm not the only here who has personally received amazing help and interest from her. If there's anything at all I can do/say/just sit and listen, my inbox is open. (And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one available for that sort of thing either.)

Glass, you have a virtual support network in place. I sincerely hope you don't need it all, but if you do, it's right here. :)
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, Glass Mouse is an amazing person and I hope she's okay. There probably isn't much we can do other than wait and hope for the best, though.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Dwarf in the Playground

Another vote of not-currently-participating worry. (And a reminder to Glass, when she returns, that if it was totally something trivial and she just forgot/had no internet/had more important stuff in her life, she shouldn't feel guilty at all. We're just People On the Internet. Real life comes first.)
    Avatar by the lovely Paisley. Isn't she awesome? :)

Read my writing on AO3.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Orc in the Playground

On Glass Mouse's profile, it says her last activity was on the 10th, 3 days ago. No posts, though. Maybe just logging in?

I'll go ahead and post this week's submissions:

Spoiler: Three NPC Sketches
    Show

I ran a game of D&D today. The party, who are committed to turning the entire world undead and freeing their dark god to rule over it for eternity, just killed these three individuals, as they guarded a village of recently united drow and elves.

Spoiler: Necromantic Revivification
    Show

Same party, a bit later. Random stone giant encounter. Their protagonist died. Fortunately he has a magical stone that is intrinsically linked to his death-god in place of a heart, so I can whip that into some dramatic deus-ex-machina of the semi-literal sort. (A god, sure, but no machine.)

Spoiler: The Salamander
    Show

In old times, the salamander was believed to be a fire elemental. This is likely because they would hide in rotted logs, and would emerge to scamper away (do salamanders scamper?) when these logs went onto a fire. I made this one out of wax, and then painted it with acrylic. I may go over the highlights in a metallic gold later.

Also, down here you can see the tops of a few books. The AD&D ones are borrowed. I should return them soon...

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ettin in the Playground

I've held off on putting forward stuff till we get last weeks in, similar to how things went when Glass went on vacation last July. Plus with the inbox full, I'd prefer to wait.

Of course, if she doesn't return by next week, I might post standings updates as a stand in. Thoughts?

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the challenge is for us to do stuff every week. I think we shouldn't require her presence for that. It's probably fine if you don't want to post them here for whatever reason, but then I would suggest you keep track of what you do when, and link her to it when she comes back with a weekly breakdown or something.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Well, the challenge is for us to do stuff every week. I think we shouldn't require her presence for that. It's probably fine if you don't want to post them here for whatever reason, but then I would suggest you keep track of what you do when, and link her to it when she comes back with a weekly breakdown or something.
    Yes, that's what I mean.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Ogre in the Playground

Hi guys. I am so so SO sorry about disappearing on you like that. I don't even have a good excuse, I just had my first ever winter depressive episode / exhaustion breakdown and have been running on pure momentum these past 1½ months. I can't even explain what happened with the status post - a mix of forgetfulness, guilt and mental snowballing. I am so sorry about not giving notice, I just... thought I was better than I was, and that I was just one more day from picking up, not several weeks.

You guys are amazing. I am literally teary-eyed from the concern shown in this thread. It really pays to come back out from the woodwork, huh?

I'm back now. I've kept up with school and seen a few friends, so it was never worse than that. And I think I've broken this past week's mental snowballing. And hey, apparantly feeling bad is good for my creative output.

So, I'm gonna do last week's missed status today. I'm still catching up on a ton of stuff I've neglected, but the status has priority right now. Then I'll clear my inbox (also sorry about that, the forums stopped giving notice), and give you a few days to send/upload this Monday's pieces before I catch up on that.

Again, I am so so sorry. Thank you so much for the concern and patience. You guys are the best!
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2014-04-16 at 08:08 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, let’s get back in the swing of things. My inbox is cleared, and I now present: Status for the week March 31 - April 6.

Glass Mouse passes with a comic and four demon OCs.

Lycunadari passes with six lovely flower photos.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with 30 OoTS transcipts.

Neoriceisgood couldn’t send anything due to filled inbox. Sorry.

redfeatherraven comes up short this week.

Rysc passes with 1000 words of drabbles, and 520 words of free verse.

D.KnightSpider didn’t upload/send me anything (because of inbox?).

HellFireLover is out due to disappearance.

Iruka falls short this week.

Corphiiel is out due to disappearance.

’Neath the Moon passes with two overgrown photos, an origami wolf family, a scruffy-looking guy, an OC, and a katana-dualwielding wolfman.

Lissou is in from next week.

Thus, redfeatherraven and Iruka (and possibly D.KnightSpider) FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, TheWombatOfDoom, (Neoriceisgood), Rysc, and ‘Neath the Moon PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 180 weeks
    Longest run: -
    Themes: 2 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 66 weeks
    Themes: -

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: 35 weeks
    Longest run: 3 weeks

Neoriceisgood
    Current run: 27 weeks (pending)
    Longest run: 32 weeks

redfeatherraven
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 4 weeks

Rysc
    Current run: 16 weeks
    Themes: 7 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 9 weeks (pending)

Iruka
    Longest run: 7 weeks

’Neath the Moon
    Current run: 3 weeks
    Themes: 1 week

Lissou

No theme has been chosen this week, so it’s up for grabs!

Next week's theme is chosen by TheWombatOfDoom - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

I feel a bit weird striking people from list, considering my own little vanishing act. But the list is getting cluttered, so I’m sticking to the “two weeks of silence = out” rule.

This challenge seems really interesting, but already I'm worried I wouldn't be able to keep it going >.>

I have a few questions:

1) Would translations count? I translate comics. Some I cannot upload as I didn't get permission, and I understand that those would not count. Some, however, are officially approved. But I'm not creating the image or content, just editing both.

2) I'd be interested in knitting pieces, but a lot of them would take over a week. Would there be some some of conversion based on number of stitches (like with words for writing?).

It might just be that the challenge isn't for me, of course :) But I might as well give it a try and see if it's possible for me to join. I do need the motivation.
    1) I see no reason why not. For prose, to keep things simple, let’s stick with “250 words = one piece” for translations. Speech bubble translations should probably count for more, since they include positioning and image manipulation. Three strips/pages = one piece?

2) Um. Huh. It’s a fun idea, but I’ve never knitted, so I don’t know what would be a fair conversion rate. Ideas?

Every week I'll give the wordcount so far, and the wordcount for that specific week (total minus previous week's total).
    Perfect!

And welcome to the Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by redfeatherraven View Post
    I honestly haven't a clue. I recall her stating she produced the comics in advance, however, so it's certainly possible.

At the risk of seeming odd I tried a bit of searching, but can't pull anything besides radio silence.
    Yeah, I more-or-less withdrew from all social and social-like media. I definitely would’ve answered if something had pinged, though, so feel free to spam me somewhere if I’m unavailable here (though I don’t expect this to happen ever again).

For the record, I draw my comics in advance (yay, buffers!), and I usually upload to the site a few days before Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriwen View Post
    Another vote of not-currently-participating worry. (And a reminder to Glass, when she returns, that if it was totally something trivial and she just forgot/had no internet/had more important stuff in her life, she shouldn't feel guilty at all. We're just People On the Internet. Real life comes first.)
    You have no idea how much I needed to read this. I will stand by that you guys are important too, but still, thanks!

I like you!

I think that was everything for now! I’d answer more posts, but this is bloated enough. Again, THANK YOU for your understanding. And for keeping going without me! You guys rock

I’ll do the next status post early Friday, giving you enough time to upload and send everything. After that, we should be back to normal, status-wise.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Orc in the Playground

Glad to see you're back, Glass, and that all is well. I'm really liking the challenge so far, thanks for keeping it up for as long as you have.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Orc in the Playground

I suppose I should announce that I'm kind of on hiatus due to pressing health concerns which prevent me using a PC for any length of time, so my presence is unlikely to be more than spotty in future - and I can't create any digital art. A bit upset because this thread did help my productivity. Who knows when I'll get what I need to start again. I may drop in on occasion though with traditional art.
    Chaotic Neutral. Knife fiend. Allergic to many, many tasty things.

Unrepentant Jinsyite. Daily Greet!

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I lost track, I'm supposed to PM you two weeks worth of art right? Since March 31st?

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HellfireLover View Post
    I suppose I should announce that I'm kind of on hiatus due to pressing health concerns which prevent me using a PC for any length of time, so my presence is unlikely to be more than spotty in future - and I can't create any digital art. A bit upset because this thread did help my productivity. Who knows when I'll get what I need to start again. I may drop in on occasion though with traditional art.
    That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. Hope your health concerns are the sort that gets better over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I lost track, I'm supposed to PM you two weeks worth of art right? Since March 31st?
    Yeah, by my count
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

26. - Top - End - #1466

Yay! Glad to see you're back and well, Glass.

So, for the week of April 7-13:

Spoiler: 1053 words of flash fiction
    Show

And now, now we shall die.

The world is crashing down around us.

It is judgement. For meddling too much. For taking what was not ours. For making ourselves proud. But was it really us?

Was it really worth it?

Even now, there are those who say it was. They say that that one glorious moment of transcending space and time and mortal realms was worth it. They never asked the others.

The others, the people, who were all going about their lives. Us. We didn't know. Or perhaps we did. But we went on with our lives. Some of us didn't care, and if the rest did, they could do nothing. We were powerless, in that we had every power, but we could not stop the madly hurtling dreams of a few. Hurtling on past the boundaries of the mind, the woven song of reality.

So we continued on. We walked, we planted, we dug, we trained, we ran, we studied, we sang, we laughed, we lived. Some of the old lore-masters say that ignorance is the best armor. Perhaps they were right.

Perhaps, but ignorance never stopped a blade. Not knowing what that feathered shaft suddenly protruding from your chest was never saved you.

We should have acted. Done something, anything. But how were we to know? If we overran ever tower inhabited by a delusional mage, every small group of wandering troublemakers, we would overrun ourselves. Not right away, but slowly, gradually, the end would come. But we did not, and the end has come regardless.

The end is coming. The end is here. And we will dissolve into flames and sparks and shatter like the long-forgotten reflections in the mirrors.

Where will we go?

Who will remember us?

Will anyone remember us? Will come after us?

Someday, will a lonely traveler, some chronicler of dusty tales, some inquisitive, some merchant hiding from the fury of the storm, will someone come across our homes? Will they climb the broken steps and pad softly across the floors carpeted in green? Will they look upon the threadbare tapestries, and read the worn tales of our lives? Will they turn the crackling pages of our histories, and find the truth?

The truth. What truth? We never had one.

Will the stars still shine upon those new peoples? The world would be a darker place if indeed they did not. Will mothers look up and spin the tales of the constellations for their children?

The Dragon. The Compass. The Fox-thief. The Raven. We look up now, as cracks creep across the sky. The stars still flare, tiny and yet unimaginable huge, beyond the black. The Warrior of the Lake. The Ship of the North. If only there was a warrior here for us, a ship for us to sail away.

But whither would we sail? The sea would not save us, for the dark ink is spreading across all the pages of the world. If only we could sail across the sky, across empty space and air and time. We could return. Or we could go forward, to the next era.

We could tell those people what had happened. Who we were. Keep our tales and songs alive, keep our heroes and kings and queens alive. Teach them about the mistakes of the past. And maybe this would not happen again.

Has this happened before? This rending of existence? We wonder as we do the only thing we can. We watch, waiting. Waiting for the end.

Some of us remember from the times of their youth old lore-masters telling of an even more ancient time, when we began. But we were not the first. Others had come before us, come, and gone. Were they taken by their own rashness, their own foolishness and greed and pride? Their own ignorance?

We did not know, and we do not know now. Their stories crumbles to ashes and scattered to the winds many long centuries ago. Only the stars remain, constant lights from the past. But they saw different pictures then, told different tales. The stars are the same, yet different.

How much longer will we last? Already the sky is gone, filled with the strange color of the void.

Somewhere nearby, one of us picks up a harp. The soft deep notes float across the awful hush, cover the stillness.

Will they have music, the people who come after us?

Will any come after us, at all? What will happen to the world?

What will happen to us?

A child raises her voice. Clear and crisp joins soft and rich, and the melody weaves a pattern in the air. The singer's voice is strong, but on certain notes it wavers. She is not afraid, though. It is sadness that wraps around her.

As one by one we join in this beautiful tapestry of sound, our fear drifts away, and it is sadness that we feel instead. We would never see another sunrise, another glorious sunset. Never walk the shores and journey the forests again. Never run with the wild free winds, raise our swords in salute, gaze in awe at the mountains. Never plow a field, or buy a pair of shoes for a beloved child, or recount tales around a blazing hearth. We would never teach the stories of the stars again. Never sing again, nor hear songs.

Or would we? We don't know. We know nothing. We never knew anything at all.

Instead we sing, and the melancholy melodies flow away in a river to the nothingness.

We sing for the people who came before us, and who faded away into time. We sing for the children who will never know the bright and deadly and beautiful world that we knew. We sing for the forests and the dragons and the seas and skies and the mighty eagles. We sing for the heroes of the past, the heroes of the present, the victorious soldier and the brave journeyer. We sing to forgive those who started this.

We sing for those who will come after us. Perhaps these melodies will somehow make their way into the world, and they will sing our songs. The same songs, yet different. Like the stars.

We sing as the world runs and swirls into a void around us.

Spoiler: 378 words of character background
    Show
    Name: Sibyl (it's what she says it is, at any rate)

Appearance: A seemingly youngish woman who is best described as angular and gives the appearance of being, well, vertically stretched out, she's usually dressed in a long dark coat that's definitely seen better days. Her bobbed hair, for some reason, is a startling white, and she tends to keep a hood (or hat, at least) on because of this. If you notice her at all, at least.

Background: Sybil is voiceless. Most assume she's been that way from birth, but every now and then a rumor goes the rounds that she was actually involved in some dark deal, though none cares to find out what exactly that was--or what she gained from it, if such a deal ever happened. Her muteness has not prevented her, however, from gaining a foothold in several circles. And she's far from deaf. If you've got the desire--and the money--she'll pass along some of her findings to you. Just be warned that she's quite...opportunistic. Or at least, on the surface, she appears to be...

Sybil's earliest memories are of wandering the streets with only a name and a little brother. The name didn't matter, as it doesn't matter now. The brother mattered. She was getting desperate. Then she met a ghost--or at least, it looked like one--that proposed a deal. A voice in exchange for...power of some sort. It seemed like a good deal at the time. She wasn't exactly sure what, if anything changed, but she began to realize that her near-invisible status as a street kid was cemented even more when people found out she couldn't speak. Of course, they never realized she could write.

She learned pretty quickly the value of information. Amazing what people would pay to learn some tidbit.

What she didn't count on was her brother getting killed in the gunfire of some over-zealous thugs who were chasing her after one of her exploits had gone awry. Before she had enough to move them both somewhere nicer, too. She swore--well, it didn't matter what she swore to do. Running information for parts of the underworld would have to serve for now. People thought she wasn't smart. Their mistake.

Weapons:
    +2 Snazzy semi-automatic pistol of dubious origin
    +1 Stiletto, also of dubious origin

Spoiler: Two animated sprites of strange creatures
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaaaand status for the week April 7 - 13.

Glass Mouse passes with a comic, an OC portrait and 370 words of webcomic review.

Lycunadari passes with three Spring photos and a cuddly OC couple painting.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with 599 words of book-keeping, 750 words of roleplaing, and 250 words of different roleplaying.

Neoriceisgood passes with five double-size comics, and ten new sprites (counts for both weeks).

redfeatherraven didn’t upload/send me anything.

Rysc passes with 1053 words of flash fiction, 378 words of character background, and two strange sprites.

D.KnightSpider didn’t upload/send me anything.

Iruka didn’t upload/send me anything.

’Neath the Moon passes with three NPC elves, a necromancer, and a salamander.

Lissou passes with 2303 words of French-to-English novel translation.

Thus, redfeatherraven, D.KnightSpider and Iruka FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, TheWombatOfDoom, Neoriceisgood, Rysc, ‘Neath the Moon, and Lissou PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 181 weeks
    Themes: 2 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 67 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: 36 weeks
    Longest run: 3 weeks

Neoriceisgood
    Current run: 29 weeks

redfeatherraven
    Longest run: 4 weeks

Rysc
    Current run: 17 weeks

D.KnightSpider

Iruka
    Longest run: 7 weeks

’Neath the Moon
    Current run: 4 weeks
    Themes: 1 week

Lissou
    Current run: 1 week

Still: Next week's theme is chosen by TheWombatOfDoom - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Orc in the Playground

So, we're back to normal, yes? Meaning that I should post now for the last week? I'll assume so, since it can't hurt.

Spoiler: Three Loaves of Pulla
    Show

We call it Nisua, which I think is a conjugated form of Nisu. Most Finns these days call it Pulla, but my family's been out of touch with the Old World for a couple generations now. I made these with the old family recipe, and they were pretty tasty with coffee.
    (Does braided bread count as a piece of art? It's certainly on the decorative side of the food spectrum. Just in case I'll include about five haiku as well.)

Spoiler: Sumi-egg
    Show
    Egg decorating. I chose to do an egg in the Sumi-e style.

Spoiler: Sinking!
    Show
    Found some rocks with flat sides, this came to mind.

Spoiler: Dragonfang Scrimshaw
    Show
    I'm going to make a number of these clay fangs, since they are easy to reproduce reliably, and turn them into necklaces. I may or may not faux-scrimshaw them, though.

Spoiler: Haiku for if the Bread Doesn't Count
    Show

Some quick haiku. The bread probably counts, but these are fun anyway:

walking in the dark
    a stranger approaches me
    and says "got a light?"

two roads diverged, huh?
    guess I better pick one then
    I choose... upside-down!

when in doubt, say yes
    when that doesn't work, say no
    then go to punching

away with you, now
    we have not food for beggars
    return to the cold

high the towers loom
    relics of times forgotten
    and people long dead
    Last edited by 'Neath the Moon; 2014-04-20 at 11:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm back!

Spoiler: my cleric in upgraded!OotS style
    Show

Spoiler: Homestuck
    Show
    Spoiler: Feferi Peixes as a human
    Show

Spoiler: fantroll stuff
    Show
    Spoiler: fantroll
    Show

Spoiler: fantroll's ancestor
    Show

Spoiler: Doctor Two-Brains
    Show

Spoiler: winged person
    Show
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 'Neath the Moon View Post
    So, we're back to normal, yes? Meaning that I should post now for the last week? I'll assume so, since it can't hurt.
    Aye, everything is normal now. I'm at an Easter thing with my family today, so I can't do the status right now, but I'll do it later today
    Just as a heads-up to anyone who might still be confused.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrsMustard View Post
    I'm back!
    Yay, welcome back! You were missed
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge