Default Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

My progress this week:

Spoiler
    Show

Link
    Last week word count: 2303
    Current word count: 6925
    Difference:4622

This week will probably be a bit different. I'm editing the whole thing, and I'll probably delete a bunch of stuff and rewrite it. The word count might not change too much, if that's what happens I'll be working other things on the side as part of the challenge.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Bugbear in the Playground

Went hiking & took lots of pictures of trees and rocks and water. Or at least, I tried to take lots of pictures but my camera was slowly dying. Still have some, anyways.

Spoiler: Pictures! (Eight of them, to be exact)
    Show
    Spoiler: Roots and tree trunk
    Show

Spoiler: Rushing waters
    Show

Spoiler: Waterfall
    Show

Spoiler: Slanted
    Show

Spoiler: Forest
    Show

Spoiler: An interesting construction
    Show

Spoiler: Mossy roots
    Show

Spoiler: Wall
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

UPDATED with those who missed the mark - my lenience stops now for this week.

So, either my absence or the whole Monday-is-free-on-Easter thing has messed things up. Normally I’d wait a little since so many people have missed the mark, but I’d really-really-REALLY like to stop the whole inconsistency. So, have at thee! A status!

Glass Mouse passes with a comic and two character portraits.

Lycunadari passes with five spring photos and an Elsa.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with 1550 words of roleplaying.

Neoriceisgood passes with 23ish new sprites and three double-sized comic pages.

redfeatherraven didn’t upload/send me anything (again).

Rysc passes with eight forrest photos.

D.KnightSpider didn’t upload/send me anything (again).

Iruka didn’t upload/send me anything (again).

’Neath the Moon passes with three pieces of bakery, a painted egg, a pen-and-rock pieces, a clay fang, and five haikus.

Lissou passes with 4622 words of French-to-English translation.

MeanMrsMustard passes with an art-updated cleric, three Homestuck characters, a doctor, and a winged person.

Thus, redfeatherraven, D.KnightSpider, and Iruka FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, TheWombatOfDoom, Neoriceisgood, Rysc, ‘Neath the Moon, Lissou and MeanMrsMustard PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 182 weeks
    Longest run: -
    Themes: 2 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 68 weeks
    Themes: -

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: 37 weeks
    Longest run: 3 weeks

Neoriceisgood
    Current run: 30 weeks
    Longest run: 32 weeks

redfeatherraven
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 4 weeks

Rysc
    Current run: 18 weeks
    Themes: 7 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Longest run: 32 weeks

Iruka
    Longest run: 7 weeks

’Neath the Moon
    Current run: 5 weeks
    Themes: 1 week

Lissou
    Current run: 2 weeks

MeanMrsMustard
    Current run: 1 week
    Longest run: 39 weeks

No theme has been chosen this week, so it’s up for grabs!

Next week's theme is chosen by Neoriceisgood - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2014-04-22 at 12:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

This week's theme will be: energy

Sorry for not sending my stuff, I've had a family weekend going on since halfway through friday so I haven't
    had a chance to send & upload my art >_<

I've made more than 6 pieces last week but I haven't found time to compile and upload all my sprite work.
    I'll try to send it in tomorrow if that's okay.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Halfling in the Playground

Dammit, that one's on me. The absence and Easter didn't break my stride, really, but my new work schedule did - it's causing me to be nocturnal, so my sense of time is a little wonky.

That said I should have submitted it Sun afternoon sometime and didn't. My bad. No streak to break, on the bright side, but nevertheless.

Let's go ahead and get this week's in early then. 1711 words about the currently revived project.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0f...it?usp=sharing

I've gotten some coding done on this project as well, but it's not yet in an alpha release state. Should happen soon-ish, though, depending on my ability to code and procrastinate.

And also, since I haven't gotten the chance to now to officially state it, welcome back fearless leader! Sorry to hear about the breakdown, but good to hear everything's normalized. I echo Moriwen's sentiment that life comes first in the event it recurs, but even though we're just people on the internet, don't forget, we've got your back here.

Late to the party with that one? Yes, certainly, but still worth saying.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

I updated the status post with everything sent to me between then and now. No one's failed from late submission this week, but I'm closing down the lenience gates now.

Neorice, remember to also pick a theme for next week too, 'kay?

Quote Originally Posted by redfeatherraven View Post
    And also, since I haven't gotten the chance to now to officially state it, welcome back fearless leader! Sorry to hear about the breakdown, but good to hear everything's normalized. I echo Moriwen's sentiment that life comes first in the event it recurs, but even though we're just people on the internet, don't forget, we've got your back here.

Late to the party with that one? Yes, certainly, but still worth saying.
    Thanks And good to know you haven't disappeared on us!
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2014-04-22 at 01:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post

Neorice, remember to also pick a theme for next week too, 'kay?
    I already did, check the top of my last post. :p

I chose the theme: energy.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    I already did, check the top of my last post. :p

I chose the theme: energy.
    No, you very specifically wrote "This week's theme"

This week was the Wombat's, but up for grabs, and apparantly grabbed by you. Next week is officially you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    No, you very specifically wrote "This week's theme"

This week was the Wombat's, but up for grabs, and apparantly grabbed by you. Next week is officially you.
    Oh ... well put next week's up to grab instead then hahahah, I won't be around for that week.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

Are we supposed to incorporate the theme in our work for the week? If so, is it required, or just a "for extra points" kind of things? Or is it to inspire people who don't know what to work on?

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Are we supposed to incorporate the theme in our work for the week? If so, is it required, or just a "for extra points" kind of things? Or is it to inspire people who don't know what to work on?
    From the FAQ:
    The themes are not mandatory, but it's always fun to see how different people use different themes. In the status update, I will give special mention to whatever pieces followed the themes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks. I'll see if I can incorporate themes at some point then.

This week, I cut down a lot from my big project, so as a result I wrote different stories using prompts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mutiny (1017 words)
    R0B21 (1490 words)
    Teleportation (1106 words)
    I asked people to give me sci-fi prompts, hence why they're all sci-fi :) I got tons of prompts so I'll probably write more next week as well.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since next week's theme has not been chosen yet, Nice Hat encore! nah, let's go with: "An Unusual Duel".
    Be it what's at stake, the location or the contest itself (ex. the 100-metre haberdashery), something is off. May the most outlandish test of mettle triumph .

Congratulations to Rysc for making it 18 weeks in the Challenge, you've earned a prize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenge FAQ View Post
    *snip*
    •The first time you pass the 18 week mark, IncoherentEssay will craft and mail you one figurine of your choice*.

* within board rules and reasonable size constraints.
    *snip*
    PM me once you've decided what you want for your prize .

Spoiler: Stuff about the 18 week prize (FAQ draft & such)
    Show
    The prizecrafting so far has gone... clunkily: sometimes smoothly, at others a dead stop. I feel it is an administrative failure on my part, explaining the whole thing inadequately and being slow to PM reminders after longer silence (forgetfulness is human, i just feel like i'm pestering people).
    I really should have written some sort of FAQ for the thing from the start.
    So better late than never (rough version):
    Spoiler
    Show

-first things first: i mostly log in to GitP to post or respond to PMs, i do my browsing logged out. I use email notification for PMs and check my mail frequently, so even if i haven't logged in in a while i'm not inaccessible.
    -how efficiently the crafting process goes depends a lot on *your(the prize recipients)* activeness. I can't really make progress if i don't know what i'm supposed to make .

so onto the actual prizecrafting process:
    -pick a single-piece subject (can contain multiple characters/other complex elements but all parts must connect) that fits within a 15cm x 15cm x 15cm space (can be taller in the case of solitary character figurines). Basically something that you could put in a snowglobe or the like
    -modelling wax sketch(es) based on description given. The idea is to get the general pose and any key key details right (but not necessarily all on the same wax sketch, it has some detailwork limits that clay does not). This generally means a pose+base sketch and face/head sketch plus however many feedback resketch cycles it takes to get them right (up to *you*, the prize recipient).
    -making of the actual clay figurine itself. Should be straightforward thanks to the sketching step, mostly confirming every few steps that the figurine is progressing in the right direction. Adjustments can still be made, but no total remakes (without a really good reason anyways).
    -painting. Using a paint program to provide the exact colour palette would be helpful but not necessary. The first coat of paint soaks into the surface of the figurine so while adjusting the shade and adding decorative detail is simple enough, completely redoing the colour scheme is not an option.
    -the final logistics (mailing adress, plua packaging and stuff on my end).

-if you don't need/want all that much control over the end result, i can just fill in the blanks myself. I'll still PM updates on the crafting process but won't wait for the feedback (though do inform me if some part of hte figurine is going wrong in your opinion).
    -i may be stating the obvious but you can decline the 18 week prize. Maybe you don't want a figurine of any sort or the like, in any case i take no offense to it .

I'll make a better version at some point. If there are any questions, ask .

Leaving this last bit outside the spoilerfor visibility reasons:
    I am making this post the cutoff point for qualifying for the 18 week prize: anyone who is either currently participating in the Challenge or has participated prior to this point can still qualify for it.
    Newcomers from this point onward can't. This may be lifted at some point but i wouldn't count on it.
    The short version is that i want an endpoint for the prizecrafting, a 'Win Condition' for keeping my word if that makes sense.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    Congratulations to Rysc for making it 18 weeks in the Challenge, you've earned a prize.
    Woah, it's been 18 weeks already? PMed you with my decision.

Now, for this week's submissions:

Spoiler: Seeking Solace - 768 words
    Show
    The sunlight dragged dusty fingers over the tumultous array of decripit wood which had once passed for furniture. No one was here. She hadn't really expected anyone, and that was good. No one came here anymore.

She catiously stepped across the groaning floorboards. There was no one else. Good. She needed to be alone. Alone with herself and the books.

Another mournful mound of canvas and wood, and then a door. The key in her hand had been rusted by waves of rain and time, but it still stayed strong. The door was open, now. She slipped inside and gently closed it, then exhaled deeply. She was alone. Now, finally, alone.

There were more windows here, more streaks of sunlight, just enough to display the massive bookshelves that stood proud like sentinels in rows across the room. The room itself wasn't too large, but it made up for that by having almost every square inch not occupied by window or door lined with shelves. She hadn't been here in so long, and the dust was plain evidence of that. Brushing off the lid of a chest in the corner, she pulled out the equally aged blankets. Old and slightly threadbare, but enough. They held so many tales, almost like the books.

The books. Laying the blankets in a corner of the wall of windows, she slowly walked over to the first shelf. Running her fingers over the many beautiful, beautiful spines--embossed leather and linen and channels of gold and silver--brought back so many memories, so many afternooons of solace. Then she had gradually drifted away, but the books waited for her. And here they were, waiting still. She smiled, and continued down the row.

So many books, so many portals to other worlds and minds and lives. So many places of escape, so many refuges. Closing her eyes, she inhaled the scents of wood and dusty sunlight and old books, luxuriating in the wonder and silence.

Where were the others now? She could remember so many times when one or another of them would retreat back here, sometimes sitting on opposite sides of the room, quietly traveling to other places, sometimes alone in the silence. They never talked in here. Or at least, they rarely did. The stillness was a precious thing, and they had already done enough damage when they came in: the creak of their steps on the floorboards, the rustling of the old paper pages, the feather-softness of their breaths magnified to fill the room.

They never needed to, anyhow. Sometimes they would whisper choice books, favorite tales to the others. But other than that, they understood each other in the silence.

She could remember the last night she had been there. Most of them had grown and left by them. Only she and her younger brother were left, and she too about to leave. Her bags stood packed and watchful in her room, already stripped to the barest furnishings. She couldn't sleep. Neither could he. They had shared one last night of tales, for once breaking the unspoken rule of silence, in hushed tones reading aloud from old tomes. They had flown away on the wings of ancient myths and younger fairytales, on the rhythmic patterns of the poets. The stars faded, and they watched as dawn broke, the red and orange spilling over into the skies.

Day break. What a strange phrase. The day never actually shattered into tiny pieces as it pushed the night out of the way. Or maybe it did. That day it had, anyway. Their past lives had all broken into tiny shards. Irrecoverable. Irreplacable.

She looked down in the book in her hand, not rembering when she had actually grasped it, remembering the so many other times that she had, long ago. The lettering on the cover was faded, but the tiny channels and grooves were clear enough. Had the others ever come back, at some point, the tiny channels and grooves etched in their minds? Or had they all forgotten, the waves of time and care and worry and presumptiousness having worn away the lines? She should have kept in contact with them. The youngest was out on the coast somewhere, but that was all she knew. Sad. They had been so close.

Perhaps it was for the best. This intertwined reliance, a trellis for young vines, then a gradually drifting away as life pulled them apart, became more important. And then one day, maybe, they would come drifing back, one or two at a time, seeking solace.

She inhaled the dusty memories, and began to read.

Spoiler: The Watersinger (Character background/ info - 372 words)
    Show
    Esen. A woman whose pale turquoise skin and finned ears mark her as an undine. Her sea-green hair is kept pulled back in a braid, and her webbed hands hover in the air like eager birds. She wears no ornamentation-- save a smirk on her face.

Sharp, adaptive, and willing to bend every situation thrown her way for her own good. She's especially adept at hiding her true feelings, which aids her a quite a bit in this. This doesn't mean she won't look out for others, though she'll probably do so with an ulterior motive in mind...

"Well. You'd like to know more about me? I suppose it's only fair." The blue-skinned woman seated in front of you, her back to the ship's rail, laughs. "There isn't really much to know. When the rains started and didn't stop, I wasn't overly concerned. Perhaps one of the gods had taken a preference to the plane of Water, and was trying to recreate it here. It rather made life easier for me, in fact.

"The waters had called me from a young age, more so than others of my kind, if that was even possible. I used to spend hours listening to the music of the waves, and sometimes adding my own. And then I found how to make the water dance." Here she pauses, and hums a few notes, which soon weave themselves into a melody. Behind her, a torrent of water separates itself from the waves, spiraling upwards and then seemingly freezing in place. She stops her tune and laughs again.

"And the ships were lovely. Now I could hear the waves all the time. The whole covering-the-land thing did pose a problem to supplies, I suppose. Not to mention the wildlife. But the sea creatures are happy." Over her shoulder, you watch as the water splashes back down again into the seas. "And I am a creature of the sea."

She abruptly rises. "Well, I hope you enjoyed that. The night's old, and I'm marine, not nocturnal. Though I must warn you, half of what I say is only believed by fools, and half most believe to be foolish." She smirks at you, and walks jauntily off, humming again. "G'night!"

Spoiler: The Ones Beyond the Stars (more character stuff - 720 words)
    Show
    A tall, thin, young woman with strangely pale skin and black shoulder-length hair. She could be called "pretty," but something about her seems a bit...off. Perhaps it's the fact that her eyes are oddly mismatched--the right one gold and the left dark brown--and that she perpetually seems to be focusing on someplace beyond you.

Though at times she can appear distant, Sol is nominally soft-spoken and friendly. This doesn't mean she's easily swayed, though; she's got her own opinions and she'll keep to them, regardless of what people think of them. She's not afraid to expound on them to others, either.

And on the whole, while she'll converse with others (though these conversations often take odd turns), she tends to keep her thoughts to herself. This is partly a result of many negative reactions, and partly because she believes that no one else could really understand her calling. It probably doesn't help that her calling is to--or from--unfathomable beings of alien power.

Due to the constant and often conflicting voices and urgings in her mind, Sol can be rather distracted at times, and confuse people and happenings with what she has been told by the voices. She tries her best to listen to the ones from the beyond the stars, and this can lead to strange or sudden actions by her.

--Very, very, focused, almost to the point of fanaticism...at least with regards to her mystery, though this devotion can sometimes be apparent in other parts of her life.

--Curious. Very much so. But again, usually with regards to her mystery.

--Has a problem with self-doubt; afraid that she'll either end up like her monstrous mother, or that she'll fail the Ones Beyond the Stars.

"Why do you say that? The night is not evil. It is not any more evil than the day. And shadows are not any more evil than the light."

Ever since she appeared on the doorstep of a couple living in a tiny village in the upper regions of Malduvau, Sol had displayed some rather peculiar tendencies. For one thing, she was completely unafraid of the night. While others huddled in closed houses and tried to beat back the dark with fires, Sol would stare eagerly out at the stars, ignoring her parents' warnings, and, indeed, even some first-hand witnessing of the monsters that came in the night. The night whispered secrets to her. The Ones Beyond the Stars had chosen her. And she was theirs.

As she grew older--perhaps as a side effect, of sorts--she became almost fanatically interested in the old tales and lore, the esoteric...things that were sometimes found deep in the wilds, the histories of the world and the paths of the stars. Her parents disapproved, to say the least, and the other villagers began to whisper stories about her. Sol didn't care. She had more pressing concerns. There was always more to learn, so much more. And she had began to hear another voice, not from the stars. It began as a whisper and grew until it was almost a physical force, causing objects to mysteriously shift around her, always telling her to go forth, and learn--not about the stars, but about where she really came from. Sol was already restless to begin with, having long since exhausted the store of relevant knowledge in the village and surrounding areas. The stars were telling her to move. All these voices, coupled with an accidental display of the magical knowledge the Elder Ones had shown her, led to Sol leaving the village. In actuality it was more akin to being driven out, but Sol didn't care. She was following the stars.

In her wanderings around Alathania, Sol learned much. Too much, perhaps. The Voice was a hag. Her mother. She was a changeling. But she was different! She was not, would not become a hag. She would follow the stars. And there was more. Glimpses of the power of the Elder Ones, of the alien geometry of the Dark Tapestry. They were telling her now to travel, to understand, teaching her mysteries, and the Voice was cajoling her, calling her to travel, to return to her origins, and they were there constantly, no more quietness, no more stillness. But she would follow the stars. That was all that mattered.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Orc in the Playground

My submissions for the week. Mostly a hodgepodge of still life photos and unfired clay pieces.

Spoiler: Five Clay Dragon Fangs
    Show
    Made some more of these.

Spoiler: Miniature Megaliths (Minaliths?)
    Show
    Similar concept to the Sinking one from last week, this time just rocks. Also, one has a face. It's kinda scary.

Spoiler: Hedge Wizard's Workings
    Show
    Two photos of a bunch of random stuff I've made or picked up, arranged carelessly. The second one was done by aligning a mirror with the camera flash, and is my theme piece for this week.

Spoiler: Greenman Pendant Stages
    Show
    Base piece, wax model, mould, moulded pendant.

Spoiler: Demonological Drawing
    Show
    Drawing of a unique demon in a game of D&D.
    Last edited by 'Neath the Moon; 2014-04-28 at 02:08 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ogre in the Playground

Since we've reached page 50 (and are quickly approaching the end of that), I've made

A SHINY NEW THREAD

...for us to continue the Challenge! This week's status post will show up shortly

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    Leaving this last bit outside the spoilerfor visibility reasons:
    I am making this post the cutoff point for qualifying for the 18 week prize: anyone who is either currently participating in the Challenge or has participated prior to this point can still qualify for it.
    Newcomers from this point onward can't. This may be lifted at some point but i wouldn't count on it.
    The short version is that i want an endpoint for the prizecrafting, a 'Win Condition' for keeping my word if that makes sense.
    I'm fixing the FAQ to accomodate. Thank you for all the prizes you've made over the Challenge (mine is still on display on my bookshelf - I love it ).

Also, regarding prizes...

I know I have a gazillion prizes that people have earned, and I haven't delivered on. When I started making prizes, few people passed regularly, and I had a LOT more time on my hands. None of those are the case anymore, and unclaimed/undecided prizes have piled up to a ridiculous degree. And honestly... Me catching up is simply unrealistic.

So, I'm really sorry, but I'm wiping my own slate clean. If we've agreed on a specific idea/drawing, you're still gonna get it, but anything else... Sorry.

I will, however, offer a much more managable prize in the future. For every 10th consecutive week passed, you get a portrait coloured and shaded in the style of my webcomic. I've updated the FAQ to accomodate.

Viera Champion, are you still here? And still offering your written prizes? If not, I'm striking them from the list
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Wonder: Closed for Length. Restart if you haven't already.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.