Default Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

It is perfectly reasonable.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

I find 250 words perfectly workable as well, should I make a new thread with new posts for new entries, or post everything here? I think I'll start with doing it here, maybe moving over to a thread if I'm really getting serious (because, you know, I'm still trying this out, see how I do). I've edited my idea to instead of being 'Journal of a [D&D character]' it is now called 'The last Duskblade' (title inspiration by The Last Samurai, but not directly related), here's the first entry, his motivation to write this.This counts for next week right?

Small note, if ever you find spelling/grammar mistakes I have failed to correct, please tell me, I will fix it. I do not have an English spell-check in my word you see.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The last Duskblade

Motive:
    I’m writing this not because I want to, not even because it needs to be told. I write this so that more people understand what being a duskblade is really about, and so that the true art of arcane channeling will not be forever lost. As it is, I am the only duskblade I know of that is still native to this plane of existence. Pretenders do exist of course, but those are just people who can cast spells and are practiced in swordplay. No, true duskblades, like myself, venerate the art of combining our knowledge of the arcane arts with our techniques of martial prowess; this is the way I was taught it so many years ago.

More than the fact that people understand what duskblades are, and that we don’t learn sword and spell separately, but as one all-encompassing skill of magical warfare, the actual things duskblades can do should be preserved. Being the last living duskblade that I know of, I have assigned myself the task of recording everything for the histories. Call me fate’s scribe if you will, but I’m a mere mortal who wants to record what he sees and does. For the devoted reader, if this is ever read at all, small details will be revealed in small fragments and little pieces every now and then.

In conclusion to this introduction of sorts, I would like to say that being a duskblade isn’t merely about the things we do, but the things we stand for. Other than the fact that we can do hocus-pocus and swing around a big blade, nobody really knows what we’re about, our morals, I seek to solve that.

Word count excluding title: 279

Finally a game-crunch note; I don't plan an actually making a sheet for this guy, as I don't want to be held back by the specifics in my writing, so he might have any and all feats, but never at the same time (retraining ahoy!).

Edit: I've also made a DM-post recently, (I think it bordered 270+ words as well) but in the interest of not giving me the expectation of having this seem easy, that shall count for this week, as my first failure.
    Link here.
    Last edited by Lazy Genius; 2011-05-21 at 07:14 PM.
    "Don't give the Dungeon Master any ideas"
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup"
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would like to withdraw from this temporarily, my computer that has inkscape on it (well a working version anyway ) has been crashing on and off . (this computer also contains the files for the character drawings (some way done). This started up late Thursday so I figured if I couldn't get it working in time I would just withdraw. (and give a sorry to my players for the technical difficulties).

When I get it up and working again I will post back and join in the next Monday! (crosses fingers)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

What's this? A status perfectly on time! What's the world coming to?

IncoherentEssay passes with a honking big diplomacy scene (with soldiers), a squid thing and a terrain, all figurines.

Glass Mouse passes with comics and assorted drawings, including IE's 24 week CHALLENGE prize.

ShadowySilence is on standby.

azuyomi244 passed with a bunch of OoTS-style drawings, including a watercoloured one.

SamBurke disappeared. Are you still interested?

Mindfreak586 passes with a LOT of stuff for games he runs, plus a (surprisingly cute) Banjulhu.

Lazy Genius uploaded a DM post and a character journal motivation, but doesn't want to start for real until next-next week?

Thus, SamBurke FAILS this round.

IncoherentEssay, Glass Mouse, azuyomi244 and Mindfreak586 PASS this round.

Go us
    For the interested, IE's CHALLENGE prize can be seen here.
    And because I think I forgot to link to my own prize (by IE) a few weeks back, it can be found here.

It's Mindfreak586's turn to choose a theme

@Lazy Genius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very nice start to a journal. I like the premise of wanting to preserve the knowledge of a skillset (though I foresee a lot of showing off later on ).
    It'll be interesting, I think, to watch him develop the diary beyond "here are my skills" and to include adventures and more about the person behind it.

If you're looking for critique:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not too fond of the opening sentence. It's a little cliche, and it's more or less contradicted later. It gives a feel of, "This doesn't need to be told, but it's really important!" Dunno if that's just me, though.

And what's his name? Don't hold that back for too long unless there's a good point to his namelessness (I'm not sure if this is a moot warning, but I've seen the "ooooh, my name is..... BOB!" a little too much for my liking )

In any case, I'm looking forward to the actual entries
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2011-05-23 at 03:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

I was thinking the same thing of the opening sentence, but I tend to default to cliches when I don't know how to start. I've also made another DM-post, using the same link, the third post this time. As is customary (referencing the OP here), you start the Monday after you post interest, right? So that would be today. I could go on and re-post the things, but I guess that this would work best. 'This' being that the things I posted last week count for this week, the week I start.

About the name, I haven't really thought of one, I was hoping me writing the entries would inspire one, and it hasn't yet, but I'm working on the second entry, so it might still. I'll try not to have a "There are some who call me... ...Tim" moment though, thanks for the advice.
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup"
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

6. - Top - End - #156

The theme is:

Monty Python.

Good luck!
    Busy with Life

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, Monty Python is nice. So I have a new entry, a promise of some action in the following entries, this means I have two more entries to devote to Monty Python style jokes.

Spoiler
    Show
    The last Duskblade

The Basics:
    So before I go all out about explaining what we do, the most important thing to remember is that people aren’t aware casting spells and combat is exactly the same thing to duskblades. This is because people fail to look beyond the customary and think that everyone wearing armour is limited in his arcane casting, as the many well-read wizards and spontaneous sorcerers are. The standard warmage answer is that they have specialized training and limited focus, but this doesn’t really cover the mechanics. The real deal about casting spells that duskblades cast, is that we don’t have our movement-limitation lessened; we simply do the movements more subtly, though still easily recognizable by spellcasters as such. This is why we are eventually able to wear heavier and more restricting armour as time goes on, we advance our technique further.

I could go rambling on about this, but the day I remember fully mastering this technique has always been a memorable day to me, so I'll describe the actual experience instead. As is customary for apprentice duskblades, they stand in the middle of a yard, with a warrior on one end, a mage on the other. The task is then to switch fighting one and the other every few seconds, until you’ve disarmed the warrior and overcome the caster. When I was in this training once, I turned around to find the caster, and I raised my hand not wielding a sword to make the counterspell movements exactly as I was told. Not only did the spell not fail, I felt no resistance to the casting of it, there wasn’t a chance that the spell was going to fail. As time went on, we learn to not only be combat-ready and spell-casters, but cast the spells through our sword, making them one and the same.

Of course, a journal like this one shouldn’t be just what duskblades in general do, but what the last duskblade in specific has done in his career. I won’t actually go as far as to say that my life is exciting, but my career is far from over. I like to see myself as a mercenary with morals, and I will describe what I’m doing in any given day from this point on, in an attempt to illustrate my abilities through actions rather than words. I guess I should introduce myself though; my name is Johandion Correthavel, though I’m often called Johan, or even Joe for short.

Word count excluding title: 409

I was feeling a little inspired, I guess, and we have a name! Kudos to people who figure it out... Not those who figure out that he's an elf, those who figure out something else...

Edit: I couldn't think of anything to do with Monty Python, so I went with DM posts, and a lengthy player Post instead. That, along with the two entries above should make me pass this week:
    Link to the thread with the three DM posts.
    Link to the thread with the Player post.
    Two entries above in spoilers.
    Last edited by Lazy Genius; 2011-05-26 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Fixed # of words
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Status!

IncoherentEssay passes with a bunch of figurine monsters and fighters, plus a vaguely Monty Python-related facepalming snake.

Glass Mouse passes with comics and assorted drawings, including a bunch of silly walks.

ShadowySilence passes with a ton of poems plus a King Arthur-drawing.

azuyomi244 put up an OoTS-style manga fanart.

Mindfreak586 passes with assorted pony and OoTS-style drawings.

Lazy Genius passes with GM posts, journal posts and a player post.

Thus, azuyomi244 FAILS this round.

IncoherentEssay, Glass Mouse, ShadowySilence, Mindfreak586 and Lazy Genius PASS this round.

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    IncoherentEssay
    Current run: 31 weeks
    Longest run: -

Glass Mouse
    Current run: 31 weeks

ShadowySilence
    Current run: 1 week
    Longest run: 2 weeks

azuyomi244
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 4 weeks

Mindfreak586
    Current run: 2 week

Lazy Genius:

It's Lazy Genius' turn to choose a theme
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

I think I should maybe make a thread where I collect all the various things I've done, like you guys all have a place to put your stuff, and if it's a DM/Player post, link back to the context as necessary. Good idea?

Edit: Oh, and theme is Summer, go wild.
    Last edited by Lazy Genius; 2011-05-30 at 10:52 AM.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

10. - Top - End - #160

I would have made something for Monty Python theme, but I was swamped with Oots style work. Which I still haven't finished, ugh. I'll still probably make something Monty Python related, I have a really good idea too.
    Busy with Life

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Genius View Post
    Good idea?
    Definitely. I also think that'd be more feedback-heavy than this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak586 View Post
    I would have made something for Monty Python theme, but I was swamped with Oots style work. Which I still haven't finished, ugh. I'll still probably make something Monty Python related, I have a really good idea too.
    Cool. I'm looking forward to see it
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

12. - Top - End - #162

Huzzah, I have found time (slightly) once again! Except now I still have character portraits to draw and the styles are bugging me... (goes to grumble over nose styles in the corner)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll have to see about joining this if I ever get to a level good enough to put up.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    I'll have to see about joining this if I ever get to a level good enough to put up.
    You should join regardless of your level, it really does help with improve your abilities! (plus I bet you are good enough )

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

ShadowySilence has it right, the CHALLENGE isn't about showing off, it's about improving your skills.

And even if it should matter, you're an artist - I KNOW you're better than you think you are
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

So I made a thread, the collection of my works, open for feedback of all sorts, here, I've made three additions since last week:
    • Two DM posts
    • One player post

This week will likely be one or two more DM posts, and a Journal entry.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

17. - Top - End - #167

Sorry Glass Mouse, my computer is having major issues, I won't be able to make anything this week. I'll make double the amount next week if I can get it working.
    Busy with Life

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

@Lazy Genius: Awesome. Suscribed, and I'll take a closer look when I have the time

@Mindfreak586: That's fine. I hope your computer clears up soon.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Status!

IncoherentEssay passes with a some fighters, some weird monsters and a bad pun figurine.

Glass Mouse passes with comics, two drawings and the start of a short story.

ShadowySilence didn't upload anything.

azuyomi244 passes with five OoTS-style drawings and a more realistic-looking one.

Mindfreak586 is having computer problems.

Lazy Genius, I'm guessing your word count exceeds the limit, but I can't count it on this computer for some weird reason. You pass for now, but see below.

Thus, ShadowySilence FAILS this round!

IncoherentEssay, Glass Mouse, azuyomi244 and Lazy Genius PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    IncoherentEssay
    Current run: 32 weeks

Glass Mouse
    Current run: 32 weeks

ShadowySilence

azuyomi244

Mindfreak586
    Current run: 2 weeks

Lazy Genius
    Current run: 2 weeks

It's IncoherentEssay's turn to choose a theme

Something else, regarding writing. The 250 word thing was in my mind meant as a limit, not a counter. The way I intended it, a 600 word piece would still count as one, the way a 250 word piece would. This system, however, doesn't solve the problem of a novel or a long short story. Maybe a word counter really is a good idea, the way a picture can consist of more than one "piece". Thoughts?

@azuyomi244, you're counting this week's batch as "week 3". Did I miss something last week?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

Noted, I will include word counts again, though an easy word count tool is here: Wordcounttool, just copy the piece into there, click submit and it will give you the word count.

I do think the 250 word limit makes it count as one 'piece' where it could be that anything above 600 counts as one 'piece' for every 300 words, as I know from experience that it is easier to continue writing something ("just let it flow") than it is to write something entirely new ("now what's next?"). Though we could also do straight up one 'piece' for every 250 words, your call.

This means I can really get into stuff, as I was kind of touching on an event in the two exposition, but I was still on the surface, not really diving into it because there was no real point at the time. Even a regular short could touch on a thousand words, a short short story (for me in any case) or already more than enough to count as one piece.

Edit: This post for instance is 184 words. Excluding the emoticon, including this...
    Last edited by Lazy Genius; 2011-06-06 at 03:02 PM.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Bugbear in the Playground

This sounds interesting. A few of questions before I comit though:

1) Does an entry need to be all of the same media, or could I submit a mixture of models, drawings and writings for the same week?

2) How strictly do themes need to be adhered to?

3) Can we enter work that has already been created if we are running short on entries, or does it have to be constructed especially for this contest?
    Last edited by GrlumpTheElder; 2011-06-06 at 07:53 PM.
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

@Lazy Genius: Thanks for the tip. Various Word programs work as well, but I was on a computer that (for some reason) refused to let me copy the text in the first place. Pretty weird.

I'd prefer to keep everything simple, so the "X words count as a piece" seems good to me. 250 words aren't all that much, but it's somewhere between having to work for it, and being laidback enough that you can afford to do almost any kind of writing.
    So unless anyone protests, writing will get a 250 word counter (which in any case will count for this week, so write away peacefully, Lazy!)

Quote Originally Posted by GrlumpTheElder View Post
    This sounds interesting. A few of questions before I comit though:

1) Does an entry need to be all of the same media, or could I submit a mixture of models, drawings and writings for the same week?

2) How strictly do themes need to be adhered to?

3) Can we enter work that has already been created if we are running short on entries, or does it have to be constructed especially for this contest?
    1) You can mix 'n' match as much as you like.

2) Again, as much as you like. Themes are meant as inspiration and a way to make people draw/write/whatever out of their comfort zone, but it's completely voluntary whether you want to use them or not, and how much.

3) Since the spirit of the CHALLENGE is to keep creating, old works don't count except in special cases (fx a buffered webcomic).
    Technically, nothing needs to be constructed for the CHALLENGE. You can create anything for any purpose, and it'll count as long as it lives up to the standards (and I can find it ).

Hope that clears everything up. If not, feel free to ask again
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    1) You can mix 'n' match as much as you like.

2) Again, as much as you like. Themes are meant as inspiration and a way to make people draw/write/whatever out of their comfort zone, but it's completely voluntary whether you want to use them or not, and how much.

3) Since the spirit of the CHALLENGE is to keep creating, old works don't count except in special cases (fx a buffered webcomic).
    Technically, nothing needs to be constructed for the CHALLENGE. You can create anything for any purpose, and it'll count as long as it lives up to the standards (and I can find it ).

Hope that clears everything up. If not, feel free to ask again
    Crystal clear, thanks.

Ok, sign me up!

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Crystal clear, thanks.

Ok, sign me up!
    Awesome! Welcome to the fold

Do you have a link to your stuff?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

25. - Top - End - #175

Yes, here it is:

http://freewebs.com/schlumps/challenge.htm

I'll start when the next challenge is announced...
    Oh, and sorry to be a pain, but earlier in the thread you offered someone a chance to start slow and build up - can I do this if possible to get my feet.

Thanks

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, here it is:

http://freewebs.com/schlumps/challenge.htm

I'll start when the next challenge is announced...
    Oh, and sorry to be a pain, but earlier in the thread you offered someone a chance to start slow and build up - can I do this if possible to get my feet.

Thanks
    Sure you can. I'll say the first two weeks give a one week marker (six pieces spread over two weeks, it adds up), just to keep a small reward for people who jump right in.

So...
    Next week: 2 pieces
    Next-next week: 4 pieces
    Every other week after that: 6 pieces

I was starting to think no one would use this option. Now I'm glad we thought it up
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'm interested in starting this up, mostly cause I want to actually learn to draw.

I'm one of those people who says "No no, I can't draw" and it's true. I can do abstract patterns pleasantly enough, and I know how to do celtic knots, but to actually draw something? I'll have some trouble with a circle. And that's not an exaggeration.

So, I'm interested, but at the level I am now, I could spend a week trying pretty hard and I wouldn't be able to manage one "actual work (no doodles or unfinished pieces)." (I mean, I could totally do it with writing, or with things like patterns and celtic knots, but that'd be a different matter).

So, I might start. If I do, I'll probably just be putting in elaborate patches of vague sketchery, playing around with dimensions and shapes and just getting a better hand for things in general. If anybody has a suggestion for some varieties of tutorial I could check out, those would also be welcome.

I might also just start doing such vague sketching on my own, not in the challenge context. I'll be busy enough with other major projects anyway (dnd, writing and storyboarding a comic, and trying to write my own things in the meantime). I could submit such other pieces as part of the challenge, but I can't do the comic, cause I'm publishing it (via a fiction magazine I'm publishing! We want submissions ), but I could submit some of the dnd work, or other stories, but I don't know if I want to, I feel like if I do take this up, I'll really be taking it up for a particular purpose, which, right now, will be getting some hold on drawing.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2011-06-10 at 03:43 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

I'm going to have to ask for an extension for this week's entries, mostly because I've been busy with performances of a play and looking for a house/room to rent when I go to University when I get back this summer. I'll go with one day's extension, that should be enough to finish up a Monster Entry in the Duskblade journal ('Monster Entry' being 6x'one entry': 1500+ words). I will be much obliged if I could have the extension of a day for this once. Or twice. Or thrice...
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Status! Icewalker and Lazy Genius, see below.

IncoherentEssay passes with fighters, a unicycle knight, and a scarecrow (I know I switched weeks, I'm sorry, I messed up).

Glass Mouse passes with comics, two character drawings and some writing.

ShadowySilence didn't upload anything.

azuyomi244 uploaded two pony pics.

Mindfreak586... I'm in no way sure what you have made, and what you haven't on PhotoBucket. For now, it seems like you fail, but please get in touch.

Lazy Genius gets one more day. Will be edited in later. Edit: Uploaded.

GrlumpTheElder is participating from next week.

Thus, ShadowySilence, azuyomi244 and Mindfreak586 FAIL this week!

IncoherentEssay and Glass Mouse PASS this week!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    IncoherentEssay
    Current run: 33 weeks

Glass Mouse
    Current run: 33 weeks

ShadowySilence

azuyomi244

Mindfreak586

Lazy Genius
    Current run: 3 weeks

GrlumpTheElder

It's my turn to choose a theme, and I say: RPG characters.
    I really hope this is used, because it'll be much fun to see. I'll even promise to bribe with comments to anything theme-related

Answers for Icewalker and Lazy Genius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    @Icewalker: I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, but I've had to think about it a little.
    What you're talking about (learning to draw though a lot of drawing) is DEFINITELY in the spirit of the Challenge, so it would be a sin to exclude you. Add to this that everyone's skill levels are different, and no one should be excluded because of that.
    I'm guessing you've been inspired by Thanqol? The things he uploads, I'd allow as entries. Expression sheets, ponies, figures, etc. Just go for as "finished" as you can.

Also, if you do want to include the comic, you can send it to me. That way, you won't have to publish it anywhere, and it can still count.

I'll go tutorial hunting in my drawing folder, in any case, and see if I can find something for you

@Lazy Genius: Extensions are usually off the table for anything but technical issues and extraordinary circumstances. I guess performing and househunting counts, but bear in mind the "extraordinary" part - it really is just once
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2011-06-14 at 05:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

30. - Top - End - #180

I am going to be gone for a very long time, with no access to my inkscape (although I may still write poems). I should still have access to GitP though, so I will try to bring something to the table (goodness knows I need to, I have been skimping on my art times lately )