New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Erfworld, The Thread.

There once was a time when Erfworld had an entire subforum devoted to it. Now there isn't even a single thread? Unforgivable!

Lets get the ball rolling shall we?

As the situation stands right now, Parson's plan for victory over Jetstone has begun. What is the plan? Well, it seems to be going like this...

Step 1: Wait for Jetstone to parley. If Jetstone attacked right away, they would win. However, Parson was told that Jetstone would want to give some perfunctory surrender terms before they began to croak his force. Which they did, in fact, do. What he doesn't know is that Tramendus is willing to be an actual partner and give reasonable surrender terms. His loss and our (meaning wargaming fans) gain.

Step 2: Get the fliers over the Garrison. Tram unwittingly helps out in this regard by demanding that GK's fliers unveil and come directly over the garrison. The reason Tram did this is twofold. Firstly, he feels the yellow dwagons are the only units GK has that can hurt his forces (wrong), therefore he wants them unable to bomb the tower so he has them move to a location where they cannot do so without giving Jetstone a chance to hit them first. The other reason is that he wants to be able to have all his archers in the tower so it is as well protected as possible from the bombers. This leaves the garrison vulnerable, however, if GK attacks the atrium, Tram can open fire with everything he has.

Step 2: Send Ossomer to stall. Works out great. Parson has no intention of negotiation, so he needs to send someone else so they are distracted and not calling to have a thinkagram chat with him for about a minute. Also, talking to Ossomer will allow the Yellows to sink below eye level and begin the bombing of the atrium before Tram realizes what is happening. It's very important to the plan because the roof of the atrium needs to be dissolved before Tram counterattacks to minimize GK casualties.

Step 3 (best plan): Parson is hoping that the desire for Jetstone to negotiate will cause them to only attack the yellows, rather then the whole fleet because he needs one more minute to launch the TRUE attack.

He does this by promoting all his hobgobwin knights into heavys. This causes the dwagons to fall to the ground. This is very important because in normal circumstances flying units are incapable of turning off their flight in order to "fall" to the ground. They can land on their turn but never fall when they are off, at least not normally. However, it's also a rule that Heavys cannot ride the flyers GK has. So with the added weight the dwagons will fall to the ground, crossing the flying zone to the garrison zone. Once on the ground, any of the GK units can attack Jetstone, not just the Yellows, so the odds of winning begin to even out.

This is how far along we are now. Possible additions to the plan? Well...
    -Having Wanda fall to the ground. This seems very likely, on the ground she can decrypt all the units that the tower kills in the air and all the units killed on the ground, she's also got a heal scroll which is likely for recovering after she falls to the ground.

-Have Jack fall to the ground. He's got a heal scroll as well but it may be just as a precaution in case he gets hurt again or if his ride is killed and he falls to the ground. I have no idea if he would be more useful in the air, rather then on the ground.

-Give the Hobgobwin's tribe enough money to pop more soldiers. Two arguments against this is that they may not be able to pop off turn and that they may be decrypted. I tend to think that natural allies like the Hobs should be able to pop off turn. It would be good defense for a rich side that suddenly has a city attacked. Why not use money to shore up your defense before you become overrun? As for the decrypted part, this stems from the fact that they are wearing Wanda livery. However, GK has no official colors for the army to wear and thus allows the Chief warlord to decide the color. Since the Chief was, until a little while ago, decrypted himself, it would make sense for him to have all the troops under him to wear the same armor he, himself, wears so proudly.

-Food fight. While all the dwagons with the Hob heavys can fall to the ground. That still leaves a number of units in the sky, not the least of which are the Archeons. Furthermore, the Archeons are decrypted, if they die in the air, there's no coming back. So for these air units. What can be done? Well, they can start by screening for the falling dwagons. Every hit that they take, allows the falling ones a better chance of survival but wouldn't it be more interesting if Parson again uses this "falling" mechanic to some effect?

Tram sees the units falling, he realizes what Parson has done. What would you do? I'd personally order an all out attack focusing on those units. I probably wouldn't be paying attention to the other ones that had maneuvered above me, leaving them in a perfect position to resupply and then drop the food down on the tower. Not sure how much damage it would do but it would be another unwelcome suprise for Jetstone.

-Parson uses the portal to go to Jetstone at some point. Not sure when but he wants to lead the fight because if he stays at GK he might start to think of this battle as a game and that is one thing he is determined not to do.

Okay, that's all I got for what Parson's plan is and might become for now. Happy speculating. Erfworld was actually hosted here on OOTS and book 1 is still available for reading so it just won't do for there to not be a thread about it. I hope you can contribute to it. :)

Spoiler: some links of predictions I made
    Show

I figure this is an easy spot for me to recall them.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=905
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2016-01-31 at 11:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld, The Thread.

Sorry to point this out, but Erfworld still has its own subforum...

Edit: and after actually looking at it, I notice it's been kinda dead for months, so we might as well really start discussing it in here...
    Last edited by Castel; 2010-12-07 at 02:38 AM.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

3. - Top - End - #3

Not only has it "been kinda dead for months", it's been frozen solid.

In order to preserve forum resources, this forum for the concluded Book One of Rob Balder's Erfworld is now closed. The posts will remain visible (but not alterable) for as long as the comic remains visible on this website.

Anyone wishing to continue discussions about Erfworld are directed to the Erfworld.com forum, at the following link: http://www.erfworld.com/forum/.

Thank you.
    That is not a forum, that's an archive of what used to be a forum. We don't have an erfworld forum to post in anymore in OOTS, all we have is a thread. THIS thread, to be specific.

As I said before, let's get the ball rolling, shall we? The last time anyone make a post about Erfworld was way back in July. Past time to get some discussion rolling again.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2010-12-07 at 02:47 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

PirateGuy

My theory is that we're looking at a zerg rush/spawnkill strat here.

Making them Heavies gets them into the atrium, which they then clear, but that doesn't really solve the problem, as Jetstone's free to counterattack. Even a mass Decryption just means that they hold the Atrium with slightly more force. Jetstone is still free to overwhelm what they have available, only with ground forces able to join the "fun" as well. And they still can't move zones until their turn, which is not a good way to survive, much less win.

However, if we make two assumptions, we can possibly come up with a viable, if awesomely inefficient, strategy for pulling Wanda's fat out of the fire.

First assumption? If a zone is filled to capacity, newly produced units will pop in neighboring zones.

The other assumption? It's established that when you put money into a Natural Ally's treasury as "provisioning" they spend it immediately. How immediately? Can they use the surplus to pop replacement NA's on someone else's turn on that basis? That would allow GK units to suddenly appear, possibly in very large numbers, in adjoining zones and account for how GK was going to project force outside of whatever zone they happened to be in at the moment.
    Last edited by Imgran; 2010-12-07 at 09:34 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    -Parson uses the portal to go to Jetstone at some point. Not sure when but he wants to lead the fight because if he stays at GK he might start to think of this battle as a game and that is one thing he is determined not to do.
    He wouldn't be himself, if he went there just for the sake of it. My theory is, he will go for the king of Jetstone as his target. Offing the king will end the battle (and war to be frank), no matter how big of an army Jetstone had.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Parson's strategy has been nicknamed a food fight and the codeword now is about lunch. I'm curious about this choice of metaphor. It could imply many different things...
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Parson's strategy has been nicknamed a food fight and the codeword now is about lunch. I'm curious about this choice of metaphor. It could imply many different things...
    Definetly food for your thoughts, no?

8. - Top - End - #8

PirateGuy

What I interpret that as is, Parson "provisions" by putting as many Schmuckers as he can in Vurp's treasury, which as a natural allyis then spent immediately on "provisioning." Which could possibly mean making more Hobgobwins. More than you could fit in one zone, so that they spill out into other zones and overrun Spacerock.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I guess it's just good he didn't describe it as a **** storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

10. - Top - End - #10

Actually, I think we can make a totally different assumption to lead to victory. Recall, the garrison is the center area of the city. Surrounding it is the outer walls, the tower and the dungeon. All three of these areas protect the garrison and you need to control one of these areas, normally, before you can capture the garrison.

HOWEVER, after the garrison falls, the enemy is free to attack the rest of the city without expending move. In other words, the barrier is one-way. Once they land in the atrium and take it over, they can then attack the tower, as long as they stay on the ground.

I'm positive that once they gain control of the atrium, they will then attack the tower and when the tower falls, Gobwin Knob wins.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

no, jetstone still has a dungeon, there's just no tunnel system as well.
    The plan involves using the fall mechanic as a zero move landing, since they can't land without expending move. By forcing the units to flee the atrium Jetstone leaves the area open for such a trick. When they hit, any survivors immediately gain a foothold in the garrison and can either attack the dungeon or tower since they have a zone "conquered" and when wanda hits the ground she can immediately decrypt and begin counterattacking as normal. it's a cheat but it works...

12. - Top - End - #12

While I agree they have a dungeon, I doubt there is any troop strength of significance in it.

Anyway, new update. Parson's brilliant plan appears to be to kill all his troops before the enemy gets a chance.

"Well," said Tramendus. "that was rather easy."

What say you strategy buffs, is this plan fail or EPIC fail?

Spoiler
    Show
    Epic win, I mean. It appears to be that everyone is falling to the ground, where Wanda will get a mass decrypt going. Looks like food fight meant kill the dwagons for provisions and then decrypt, rather then an actual food fight.

Wonder what will happen to the archeons and Ossomer. I think they are all that's left of the "air" force.

Also,

Barry isn't very lucky. lol.

Courtesy of CelebrenIthil at the Erfworld forums.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2010-12-09 at 01:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

What advantage does Parson get from providing food to his forces in the middle of a fight, though? I'd wager the whole point here is the Decrypting part, but if so, what advantage does a Decrypted dwagon have over the original? The only thing I can think of that makes sense is that Decrypting somehow resets a unit's turn so it can move and attack again, but I don't recall that being foreshadowed at any point.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

As I understand it, the Harvesting mechanic for food is just being used to ome hit kill the dragons so they don't have to waste time wearing down their hitpoints. The corpse will then plummet, and would depop and repop as rations next turn, if it wasn't for Wanda's decrypt ability.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    What advantage does Parson get from providing food to his forces in the middle of a fight, though? I'd wager the whole point here is the Decrypting part, but if so, what advantage does a Decrypted dwagon have over the original? The only thing I can think of that makes sense is that Decrypting somehow resets a unit's turn so it can move and attack again, but I don't recall that being foreshadowed at any point.
    The whole point is to make them fall to the ground without moving (which they can't). Parson promoted hobgobwins to heavy units, what makes then unfit for mounting dwagons, so they fall to the ground. Rest of the fliers have to kill their mounts for food (supposedly they can't be promoted to heavy units). Suddenly the all end up in the garrison, where Wanda can Decrypt all fallen dwagons and maybe some of the unlucky riders.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    That is not a forum, that's an archive of what used to be a forum. We don't have an erfworld forum to post in anymore in OOTS, all we have is a thread. THIS thread, to be specific.
    Indeed, the last try in this direction was older then six months.
    I approve.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Indeed, the last try in this direction was older then six months.
    I approve.
    Indeed.

*applauds the lack of threadnomancy*

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

only problem with erfworld i have is that evry second page is in word-only form. remember when the comic used to be a comic?

edit; not saying that the story forms are BAD at all, they just discorage reading since they are long and more or less pictureless.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2010-12-09 at 06:27 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    only problem with erfworld i have is that evry second page is in word-only form. remember when the comic used to be a comic?

edit; not saying that the story forms are BAD at all, they just discorage reading since they are long and more or less pictureless.
    Erfworld 1 also had word-only pages, the Klogs.

What people seem to take for granted is that the text updates are supposed to be 'bonus' - Rob and Xin only do one comic update a week, but fill in the text updates for people who need their Erfworld fix more frequently. It's quite possible to read Book 2 completely ignoring the non-picture updates without losing any sense of the current plot, especially since they typically show something that's happening away from the 'camera'. Sure, there's lots of foreshadowing and hints about upcoming plot in them, but you can't have your cake which is a lie and eat it too.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-12-09 at 06:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    What people seem to take for granted is that the text updates are supposed to be 'bonus' - Rob and Xin only do one comic update a week, but fill in the text updates for people who need their Erfworld fix more frequently.
    I think their comic updates lately are closer to 2 weeks. I think that's my only issue, the updates are bit too slow. I preferred it more when the site first launch and they were having comics updates once a week, with text updates inbetween... i really do enjoy the text updates but the plot progression is a tad slow since the comic updates themselves are too far apart
    Last edited by slayerx; 2010-12-09 at 07:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Erfworld 1 also had word-only pages, the Klogs.

What people seem to take for granted is that the text updates are supposed to be 'bonus' - Rob and Xin only do one comic update a week, but fill in the text updates for people who need their Erfworld fix more frequently. It's quite possible to read Book 2 completely ignoring the non-picture updates without losing any sense of the current plot, especially since they typically show something that's happening away from the 'camera'. Sure, there's lots of foreshadowing and hints about upcoming plot in them, but you can't have your cake which is a lie and eat it too.
    the klogs were just explaining the rules of the wolrd though.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

the klogs were just explaining the rules of the wolrd though.
    Still, the point was that there are updates without any pictures, only text in book 1. The Klogs were, like the Book 2 text updates, effectively supplementary material - you didn't need to read them to follow the plot - and they also usually came with a small sketch or drawing, the same way the current text posts do.

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGuy

What's the chance of surviving a fall? Something like 30-40% or something? So he's losing 60-70% of his non-hobgobwin forces by converting their mounts to food, but he would've lost all of them if he did nothing so it's still a net gain.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    What's the chance of surviving a fall? Something like 30-40% or something? So he's losing 60-70% of his non-hobgobwin forces by converting their mounts to food, but he would've lost all of them if he did nothing so it's still a net gain.
    what? no idea what you are talking about

i just assumed the Dwagons were pooping
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

NecromancerGuy

what? no idea what you are talking about

i just assumed the Dwagons were pooping
    One of Parson's conversations with Maggie and Sizemore had a discussion of what happens to a rider if their mount dies while flying. I was hoping someone else might have their memory be jogged and remember where that occurred so I don't have to trawl through everything since book 1 to find it.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm, that's rather worrying. Let's hope that Wanda's survived the fall. For narrative reasons as much as anything else.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn, that's clever.

But won't the archers from the tower still be able to rain down arrows on the forces below?
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-12-14 at 07:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by FoE View Post
    Damn, that's clever.

But won't the archers from the tower still be able to rain down arrows on the forces below?
    Depends on whether they have clear line of sight, I suppose, and once Wanda gets Decrypting I imagine the forces in the courtyard will be rapidly trying to get into the garrison anyway.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FoE View Post
    Almost surely yes. Tram wanted to evacuate the atrium precisely for that reason.
    But probably the tower spells' defences, won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Hmmm, that's rather worrying. Let's hope that Wanda's survived the fall. For narrative reasons as much as anything else.
    I think so. We see her now apparently croaked, for the thrill, but her death will be the end of the fight. And it's not the first time, she survives a fall...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Ange
    lI think so. We see her now apparently croaked,

???????

i havent seen anything like that. last time i saw wanda was in that story portion were she was talking to the illusionist guy about Faq and riddles
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2010-12-15 at 05:09 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show