New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: Erfworld, The Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    The people on the wiki seem to assume that tribes encompass more than one side.
    Seems a logical conclusion from the fact that royals can split off and form new sides. They probably don't change tribe when doing so. This mechanisms would then create new sides for an existing tribe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New update. Looks like this new schedule is actually starting to take. meh, I'll reserve judgment for the first week.

Anyhoo... Looks like we know where Wanda gets it from.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

This also explains why they were both shocked and potentially unhappy to see a caster -- not just because they needed a warrior, but because it carried unfortunate implications, one way or another, about the predictamancer who had predicted one.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    New update. Looks like this new schedule is actually starting to take. meh, I'll reserve judgment for the first week.
    Why how terribly generous of you....
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

5. - Top - End - #515
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Is today's update the first indication that Erfworld inhabitants can age? If so, is this a natural occurrence due to being alive a certain number of turns, or does it only happen in the case of some sort of deep-seated corruption? Wanda's reaction to it seems to indicate the latter...

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if those text updates were programmed even before Xin's problems...

Spoiler
    Show
    my answer is: "yes, but now they lack the picture at the bottom"
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Is today's update the first indication that Erfworld inhabitants can age? If so, is this a natural occurrence due to being alive a certain number of turns, or does it only happen in the case of some sort of deep-seated corruption? Wanda's reaction to it seems to indicate the latter...
    My geuss is, it's just Signamancy as with king Slately's diminutive posture. Signamacny can change overtime most likely and what we refer to as old age might be a sign of a long life in Erfworld as well. It doesn't have to change stats of a person.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Bugbear in the Playground

I kind of like these text updates. Sure, a couple of pictures would be nice, but we already know what Wanda looks like. I guess we will have to imagine the others for now.

.."foul-tempered pedobear"...Makes me glad there are no children in Erfworld.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

9. - Top - End - #519

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    .."foul-tempered pedobear"...Makes me glad there are no children in Erfworld.
    Why do you think he's foul-tempered? :P
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

10. - Top - End - #520
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Pokedaemons. Hmm... Who wants to bet they're all Pikachus?

In other news, the venerable Overlord is really a model of good parenting. [/sarcasm]

11. - Top - End - #521

Well, parenting is going to be weird in a world were people just appear as fully-formed adults out of nowhere, and may very well be alone in the room when they do. Familial ties seem to be an entirely intellectual thing, rather than emotional. "I know you are my brother because I know it, just like I know how to speak and perform my job, without having ever learned or felt anything before."

No wonder Erfworlders are all crazy.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I wonder if those text updates were programmed even before Xin's problems...

Spoiler
    Show
    my answer is: "yes, but now they lack the picture at the bottom"
    I doubt it. The truth is that text isn't that hard -- I mean, if you're in the right mindset, you could write these in an hour or so each (plus some time to run it past some people for copyediting and such), while I'd imagine that Xin's work -- drawing, coloring, and shading everything herself -- must have taken much much much more time than that. There's a reason why real-world comics tend to divide those jobs up, and even then, while it's incredibly important, writing is still probably the least labor-intensive part of the process.

(And in a pinch a good writer can rush and come up with something decent very quickly, while an artist who rushes usually gets terrible work no matter how talented they are.)

Of course, I'm a writer and not an artist, so naturally writing would seem easier to me. But that's my general understanding.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2011-11-04 at 06:36 PM.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Well, parenting is going to be weird in a world were people just appear as fully-formed adults out of nowhere, and may very well be alone in the room when they do. Familial ties seem to be an entirely intellectual thing, rather than emotional. "I know you are my brother because I know it, just like I know how to speak and perform my job, without having ever learned or felt anything before."

No wonder Erfworlders are all crazy.
    Granted, but outright telling a teenage/young adult/adult/ambiguously aged daughter, to her face, with a completely straight face of your own, "our doom is really lovely", with "our doom", presumably, being said ambiguously aged daughter? Excellent parental example.

14. - Top - End - #524

BlackDragon

I think this maybe explains her brother's somewhat ambiguous reaction to hearing Wanda is a Croakamancer--I'm guessing there's some Predictamancy that says a Croakamancer will bring down the kingdom, or something like that. This might also explain Delphie's particular interest in Wanda.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe it was their cold and unloving attitude towards her that molded her into who she is now and caused her to possibly take an active part in dooming their kingdom.
    Awesome avatar by RustMonster

Constipated Lizard Slayer

16. - Top - End - #526

But they've got their cold and unloving attitude towards her because she'll take an active part in dooming their kingdom.

Self-fulfilling prophecies are a form of stable temporal loop.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Anyhoo... Looks like we know where Wanda gets it from.
    I actually feel for Wanda here. She's set to get screwed (In more ways than one) before even before being popped. Frankly with all this **** hitting her it's a small wonder she is not a much worse person than she is.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I actually feel for Wanda here. She's set to get screwed (In more ways than one) before even before being popped. Frankly with all this **** hitting her it's a small wonder she is not a much worse person than she is.
    Ho yah. It's almost surprising that Wanda puts so much stock in Fate as she does, as Fate led almost everyone at home to treat her poorly. (Maybe Jack, Marie, et al in Faq helped her with that issue?) However, as she has a Predictamancer permanently latched over her shoulder, said predictamancer can turn her any way she wants.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe she latched onto Fate as a reason to go on, hope that one day things would be better for her.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Poil View Post
    Maybe she latched onto Fate as a reason to go on, hope that one day things would be better for her.
    Or that all the suffering and carnage she has seen and caused has to have some meaning and purpose.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

21. - Top - End - #531

WolfInSheepsClothing

What I find interesting:
    Given the power Wanda has gathered to herself, would she if she became a barbarian be able to take a capitol site and form her own side, based on her being of a ruling family?

How many generations/turns does it take for a family of overlords to become a royal family? Is it even possible, or are all the current royals descended from the original royal rulers of the tribes?

Given how we now know that a member of a ruling family, a potential heir, could be a caster, have there been ruling casters? Might that be how Charlie, a ruler, has caster-level control over his artifact?

As for the tribe name/side name confusion, one would assume that the original sides had their tribes name - Gobwin Knob might be the original capitol of the Plaid tribe's side or a secondary Plaid capitol site which a rebelling heir took for his/her own and (re)named in honour of his/her natural allies. This would indicate that Jetstone is one of the oldest sides in existence, since according to the wiki, Jetstone is also the tribe's name.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Or that all the suffering and carnage she has seen and caused has to have some meaning and purpose.
    Yes, exactly.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Granted, but outright telling a teenage/young adult/adult/ambiguously aged daughter, to her face, with a completely straight face of your own, "our doom is really lovely", with "our doom", presumably, being said ambiguously aged daughter? Excellent parental example.
    Well, parents are supposed to tell their kids that they're good looking; I'd find that creepy if he called her "sey" or some such, but not really otherwise.

Unless you're meaning calling her "our doom" being the bad part. That's guaranteed to give her a complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Poil View Post
    Maybe it was their cold and unloving attitude towards her that molded her into who she is now and caused her to possibly take an active part in dooming their kingdom.
    I think that's some kind of Natural Signamancy of the Firebaughs. In Wanda it was simply a personality trait, but seeing the same direct coldness in each member of the family makes me think there's some weight behind it.

I dunno... she decorates her quarters with mini-Cthulhu skulls and practices torture as a hobby. She enjoys turning a substantial portion of the world into her personal meatpuppets. How much worse do you want her to be?

Just 'cuz she's not chewing on the scenery doesn't make her any less horrible. Heck, I think it makes her more horrible.
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2011-11-05 at 07:15 PM. Reason: word choice
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

24. - Top - End - #534
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Well, parents are supposed to tell their kids that they're good looking; I'd find that creepy if he called her "sey" or some such, but not really otherwise.

Unless you're meaning calling her "our doom" being the bad part. That's guaranteed to give her a complex.
    That's the one, yeah.

I think that's some kind of Natural Signamancy of the Firebaughs. In Wanda it was simply a personality trait, but seeing the same direct coldness in each member of the family makes me think there's some weight behind it.
    I think Signamancy is supposed to be like a basic personality, which would be morphed by the influences in their environment. If this sounds like "nature-vs.-nurture" that's kinda what I'm going for. In this case, the coldness would be a self-perpetuating trait.

I dunno... she decorates her quarters with mini-Cthulhu skulls and practices torture as a hobby. She enjoys turning a substantial portion of the world into her personal meatpuppets. How much worse do you want her to be?

Just 'cuz she's not chewing on the scenery doesn't make her any less horrible. Heck, I think it makes her more horrible.
    Oh Wanda, you and your understated cliched villainy.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Killing Cthulhu like things is usual something good. The person that Wanda practices her hobby on quite enjoys it. Wanda turning people into meat pupets? Haven't you been reading this comic? Almost everyone is ALREADY a meat puppet. In fact it could be argued that the Decrypted have a bit more free will than when they where still alive. ONe of the main themes of this comic is that dark isn't always evil and light isn't always good.

TV Tropes http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../DarkIsNotEvil
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...LightIsNotGood
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2011-11-06 at 07:54 AM.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

The person that Wanda practices her hobby on quite enjoys it.
    Apparently, Wanda went too far on that.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

New page,
    and i believe this confirms why Delphie lied about to her lord about wanda being a warlord. Emphasis is placed upon how costly it was to pop her and had they known they would get a caster he probably would have canceled the pop and popped troops instead.

Love that bit right at the end, Wanda's sounding more like her manipulative-self
    Last edited by slayerx; 2011-11-07 at 09:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #538

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    New page,
    and i believe this confirms why Delphie lied about to her lord about wanda being a warlord.
    It might suggest she deliberately lied because she knew they'd get a caster. It doesn't explain why she would do that, unless she's convinced Goodminton is lost as a side and she intends to escape to the Magic Kingdom with all the casters she can when it falls. Actually, thinking about it, that would certainly explain why she's so anxious that Wanda should stay within easy reach of the capital at all times, because that's where the Magic Kingdom portal will be!

29. - Top - End - #539
    Orc in the Playground

New update and this is seriously entering creepy town, even more so than the other updates. A little too much erotism perhaps?

30. - Top - End - #540
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It amused me.