New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld, The Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'm more interested in Wanda's denial of retconjuration's existence. Is it the magical boogeyman art of Erfworld that people honestly don't believe in, or is just a 'we don't talk about it in polite company' thing?
    She's not denying Retconjuration's existence. She's denying that there are mortal Casters who can cast it.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

New update.

Beware Beastie Hippiemancer Boys!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

So, Hippiemancers can prevent anybody fighting within the walls of a city. That's kind of both extremely powerful and useless at the same time...it prevents your side getting killed, sure, but it also prevents you killing the enemy! In a world built on war, I doubt Hippiemancers are high on the wish list when a side is trying to pop a caster.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    So, Hippiemancers can prevent anybody fighting within the walls of a city. That's kind of both extremely powerful and useless at the same time...it prevents your side getting killed, sure, but it also prevents you killing the enemy! In a world built on war, I doubt Hippiemancers are high on the wish list when a side is trying to pop a caster.
    Maybe it can be one sided too, and they just wanted a parley this time? Also, a single hippymancer could defeat a whole city. Then you can use the defensive troops to attack somewhere else. With enough juice and a flying unit a hippymancer might even defend multiple cities. In field they can be used to abort battles that a sides start to lose. Then a side can preserve it's resources. Or they can defend wounded troops after a side's turn. Then they can use all their forces for offensive, and don't have to hold back reserves to defend on the enemy's turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Maybe it can be one sided too, and they just wanted a parley this time? Also, a single hippymancer could defeat a whole city. Then you can use the defensive troops to attack somewhere else. With enough juice and a flying unit a hippymancer might even defend multiple cities. In field they can be used to abort battles that a sides start to lose. Then a side can preserve it's resources. Or they can defend wounded troops after a side's turn. Then they can use all their forces for offensive, and don't have to hold back reserves to defend on the enemy's turn.
    Indeed, the possibilities are great. They appear to be a sort of "battlefield control" casters.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hippiemancers can prevent anyone fighting, anywhere. Remember Jojo and "Peace on Erf"? Think how Croakamancy scales with number of targets, it's the same principle. Sure they may be mainly defensive, but if your back's against the wall, Hippiemancers can be both a defensive beast and a game-breaking boon for your side.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

Also, vs troops that only last a certain amount of time(like un-Croaked units) it can be devastating. What happens when a force you thought was going to be enough to win suddenly loses most of it's units after having to wait a turn?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #608

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Maybe it can be one sided too, and they just wanted a parley this time?
    If it COULD be one-sided I think it would go straight into the "ludicrously overpowered" class, like the Turnamancer who ended Gobwin Knob's turn prematurely in Volume 2 of Erfworld.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

If it COULD be one-sided I think it would go straight into the "ludicrously overpowered" class, like the Turnamancer who ended Gobwin Knob's turn prematurely in Volume 2 of Erfworld.
    That was the result of a linked group of casters as I recall, and pretty much anything done by one of those is almost automatically ludicrously overpowered. It's how Parson pulled his "rocks fall" trick, for example.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    That was the result of a linked group of casters as I recall, and pretty much anything done by one of those is almost automatically ludicrously overpowered. It's how Parson pulled his "rocks fall" trick, for example.
    "KingWorld" the spell was Charlie + Vanna the Turnamancer. Agree on the ludicrously overpoweredness of links, although they are quite volatile, esp. in their effects on the casters involved, and require several thinkamancers to defuse without too much backlash. Even then, Sizemore wasn't ever the same afterwards.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    "KingWorld" the spell was Charlie + Vanna the Turnamancer. Agree on the ludicrously overpoweredness of links, although they are quite volatile, esp. in their effects on the casters involved, and require several thinkamancers to defuse without too much backlash. Even then, Sizemore wasn't ever the same afterwards.
    The Kingworld spell probably only worked as well as it did because Charlie pumped a HUGE amount of power into with the Arkendish.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Even then, Sizemore wasn't ever the same afterwards.
    I think that has more to do with his actions and guilt than with the link itself. To the extent that the link changed him, he said that it actually improved his understanding of his art.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wonder what would happen if you linked a croakamancer and a florist via a thinkamancer....Death Metal???
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    I wonder what would happen if you linked a croakamancer and a florist via a thinkamancer....Death Metal???
    They will bring you the peace... of death!

15. - Top - End - #615
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'd imagine potent anti-Croakamancy spells would come from Hippymancer+Croakamancer. "Rest In Peace", either instant-killing uncroaked/decrypted, or preventing corpses from being reanimated in the first place.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'd imagine potent anti-Croakamancy spells would come from Hippymancer+Croakamancer. "Rest In Peace", either instant-killing uncroaked/decrypted, or preventing corpses from being reanimated in the first place.
    Something like that, perhaps. Though given how heavily Erfworld uses references to popular works, I suspect the effect of combining Flower Power with Croakamancy might look more like sprouting from Grim Fandango.

(Here's a link that shows sprouting more directly, but it contains some spoilers for the plot of year 2.)

e: Oops, I thought Hippiemancy was a subgroup of Flower Power and not the other way around. Still, I believe Olive Branch and Janis (the most prominent Hippiemancers so far) are both practitioners of Flower Power.
    Last edited by Psychonaut; 2011-12-01 at 12:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

We know Olive Branch is a Florist. We don't know what Janis is, although we do know she can at least cast Flower Power spells to stop single units from engaging.

Casters can cast cross-discipline - Wanda is quite good with Thinkamancy, for instance.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Casters can cast cross-discipline - Wanda is quite good with Thinkamancy, for instance.
    I get the feeling that Wanda's ability to cross cast so well in unusual though.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ettin in the Playground

We know Olive Branch is a Florist. We don't know what Janis is, although we do know she can at least cast Flower Power spells to stop single units from engaging.

We've never seen Wanda cast a non-Croakamancy spell without a scroll or other prop, though. Even when she mind-controlled Jillian, it was using a big yellow scroll.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2011-12-01 at 12:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I get the feeling that Wanda's ability to cross cast so well in unusual though.
    Plus, Janis is the Grand Abbie. Being the head of an order usually means you've got more juice and talent that the average caster.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ettin in the Playground

New page.

Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting. It's still hard to avoid the feeling that Wanda's side is about to get put over a barrel, but at least they're being nice about it -- they're not just going to trap them there, wait for the uncroaked to decay, and then kill / capture them by force.

Could they? Interesting question. This page might also point to some of the limitations of Flower Power -- it could be that the philosophy of it is necessary for the spell to work, so you actually can't, say, lock the gate and pacify someone while they're trapped; your intentions actually have to be peaceful, or at least not harmful.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

Another update. Scheming and scheming... Still unclear but, poor Wanda, she's not pleased.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2011-12-07 at 02:57 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ettin in the Playground

Hrm. I'd forgotten this, but Wanda's entry on the cast page notes that she's of the (lost) Croatan tribe.

24. - Top - End - #624

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Hrm. I'd forgotten this, but Wanda's entry on the cast page notes that she's of the (lost) Croatan tribe.
    I think it was brought up earlier in the thread--people saying stuff along the lines of, "Goodminton? I thought Wanda was Croatan?".

What's interesting to me is that this is, I think, the first hint of a larger scale structure to Erfworld than sides--it implies that multiple sides can be related to each other, although I don't suppose that precludes them fighting amongst themselves!

25. - Top - End - #625
    Firbolg in the Playground

What's interesting to me is that this is, I think, the first hint of a larger scale structure to Erfworld than sides--it implies that multiple sides can be related to each other, although I don't suppose that precludes them fighting amongst themselves!
    Not exactly the first hint, since it had been covered previously that royals were able to split off and create new sides. This was a mechanism justified by the fact that a side that grew too much started to run into logistical/upkeep issues. Past a certain size, it becomes less and less profitable to keep getting new cities. So instead you let a heir start a new side with a few cities of your cities, and you get an ally while you trim down your realm to a more manageable size.

I think it was covered in a Book 1 Klog, but I don't remember precisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it was brought up earlier in the thread--people saying stuff along the lines of, "Goodminton? I thought Wanda was Croatan?".
    Pretty sure Goodminton is just the city, in the same way Gobwin Knob is really just the capital city of the Plaid side. When a side is dominated by one city, people tend to just call it by that city.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Goodminton is called "The last side of the once-powerful Croatan tribe" in the newest page. But yes, the role of tribes hasn't been fully explored yet... Parson mentioned something about them being mostly cultural in one of the early klogs I think.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Ya i would say that tribes go beyond sides and are spread through sides spinning off other sides. So you have multiple sides whose people are all members of the same tribe of people... though it does still stand to question if new tribes can be created or if its possible for more than one tribe to be part of the same side

I guess why Croatan is considered "lost" despite wanda still being around could be because the croatans no longer have a side and thus there will be no new croatans... and the reason why the plaid tribe is considered "nearly lost" is because they only have one side and its a very weak side (or atleast it was when that old cast page was made)... makes me wonder if the plaid side is still considered nearly lost now that GK has grown strong... if it is then that means the status of the side may be detetmined more by how many sides make up the tribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Pretty sure Goodminton is just the city, in the same way Gobwin Knob is really just the capital city of the Plaid side. When a side is dominated by one city, people tend to just call it by that city.
    No gobwin knob is the capital city of gobwin knob; stanely's side has never been referred to by any other name... All of the sides have their original capitol city with the same name as the side itself... this includes jetstone which has their original capital city of jetstone, but changed their capital when they captured space rock from spacerock...

y'know considering the name "spacerock" it makes me wonder if spacerock was also a member of the jetstone tribe
    Last edited by slayerx; 2011-12-08 at 11:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

It is absolutely possible for more than one tribe to be part of the same side. Gobwin Knob has a caster from the Croatan tribe and whatever tribe Faq is.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

It is absolutely possible for more than one tribe to be part of the same side. Gobwin Knob has a caster from the Croatan tribe and whatever tribe Faq is.
    Yes but faq was not able to produce new croatan members... and that's what i meant about more than one tribe in a side.

For instance... If jetstone were to take over GK, but not rebuild the city so that the city would continue to produce GK-type units instead of jestone units... then would the infantry that would pop from that city be members of the jetstone tribe, or the plaid tribe?
    Last edited by slayerx; 2011-12-08 at 01:39 PM.