New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Erfworld, The Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Why would Wanda be all the way out in a dinky lv2 city and not in or near the capital (or major city)? She is a caster and very valuable (and powerfull). Not saying your wrong but it does not make sense at the moment.
    Because she hates her current side and is looking for an opportunity to turn?

2. - Top - End - #992
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    My guess is that it's Wanda herself. We know she is working for Faq at some point from the story Jillian told back in volume 1, and I'm thinking that this is where she gets captured.
    It can't be - she is a unit, so her level and stats would be visible as was pointed by Chip in this very text update.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Of course, it could just be a random uncroaked. Chip didn't notice those either, until they started the attack en masse. Interesting that damage is given in terms of die rolls. I wonder if falling is the same way. It certainly puts Badminton's Luckamancer's dice rolls metaphor into perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    It can't be - she is a unit, so her level and stats would be visible as was pointed by Chip in this very text update.
    Uncroaked would have stats too... Chip didn't see them because they weren't standing anywhere visible. Frankly i think the figure is probably just a statue and Jillian was just seeing things; the whole point of all this was to show how paranoid Jillian was feeling about this whole situation
    Last edited by slayerx; 2012-07-24 at 10:29 AM.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Spoiler
    Show
    It looks like the boop is about to get real in the Magic Kingdom.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

6. - Top - End - #996
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

So. Many. Casters.

Imagine how terrifyingly powerful the Magic Kingdom would be if it could act as its own side.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure about that, honestly. Casters can be destructive, but a side still needs actual fighting units to do the heavy lifting.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I'm not sure about that, honestly. Casters can be destructive, but a side still needs actual fighting units to do the heavy lifting.
    They can make their own units though - even Wanda can make snow golems by herself, then you just need to pile bonuses on them.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

9. - Top - End - #999

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    They can make their own units though - even Wanda can make snow golems by herself, then you just need to pile bonuses on them.
    Yeah, Dirtamancers, Dollamancers, and Croakamancers all either inherently specialize in making units or have the option of doing so, the current text update suggests that Hippiemancers can make plant based units, Dittomancers can duplicate units, and there are a bunch of other caster types we haven't really seen yet so there could be several more unit sources among them.

If a big group of casters decides they need some cannon fodder to fight for them, they are quite capable of creating it themselves. Meanwhile, casters have been consistently portrayed as the biggest game-changers in existence regardless of their specialty, even when only a single caster is present. And then you get things like three caster links capable of causing "rocks fall" scale events, and there appear to be enough casters in the Magic Kingdom to field at least a dozen or two such linked groups...
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

Good points. I suppose the balance of Erfworld does depend on each side having access to only a few casters and the Magic Kingdom staying neutral. Which means, of course, that the mess Parson has stirred up might be even more disruptive than Sizewell thought...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

That's the critical thing, though--the Magic Kingdom is supposed to be sacrosanct; neutral territory. Parson is changing that by what he's doing here, and if he's not careful they could end up with a civil war among the casters!

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

. . . and if he's not careful they could end up with a civil war among the casters!
    I seem to recall a Marie quote from some time ago indicating that this may be precisely the point.

Maybe it is not good for Erf that the casters have a free zone they can hang out in, even if their entire side is disbanded. Maybe this is one of the things Parson's coming is intended to shake up.

EDIT: Okay, not quite as explicit as I may have thought it was, but I believe this is what I was remembering.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2012-07-25 at 05:23 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Imagine how terrifyingly powerful the Magic Kingdom would be if it could act as its own side.
    The upkeep cost would probably be staggering...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    The upkeep cost would probably be staggering...
    That begs the question, though: who pays the upkeep of casters with no side that reside in the Magic Kingdom? Or do *all* casters belong to a side--in which case, why does that side permit people to spend all their time in the MK rather than fighting?

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Troll in the Playground

That begs the question, though: who pays the upkeep of casters with no side that reside in the Magic Kingdom? Or do *all* casters belong to a side--in which case, why does that side permit people to spend all their time in the MK rather than fighting?
    I think that the MK is a special place probably off the normal map. You can travel there off-turn, there are no hexes in it as far as we can tell and all capital cities have access to it. As for the upkeep of the sideless casters in MK they probably forage, but it's more important, that they didn't disband, when their side was destroyed.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

16. - Top - End - #1006

From a meta perspective, viewing Erfworld as the game it resembles, the Magic Kingdom is the game mechanic that allows sides to hire casters that they don't have. Its nature and design are all about making it possible for any arbitrary side in all of Erfworld to dump a ton of money and immediately gain temporary access to whatever kind of caster they need. In an actual game, where those casters come from would most likely just be hand waved away, but since the Titans built it as a world instead they needed an explanation for it. Given that, it seems likely that neutral casters in the Magic Kingdom get free upkeep any time they're not actively working for a side.

The explanation the Titans came up with works, but has consequences and implications that they may not have realized. Parson is, of course, stretching those probably unintended possibilities for all they're worth.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

In the back of the "It's Raining Men" print, there was a write-up on each of the Great Minds: including name, age, former kingdoms. It also had details on how all of them were earning their upkeeps. For example, the Vulcan/Romulan expy is actually still getting his upkeep paid by his original kingdom, even though they've "released" him. However, most of them were listed as earning upkeep by being casters for hire to the various kingdoms outside the MK. I'd assume that is what the other casters do as well, since most kingdoms will only have access to 2 or 3 different disciplines.
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "What's the worst thing that could happen?"
    - Maxim 14 of the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. From Schlock Mercenary by Howard Tayler.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thalnawr View Post
    In the back of the "It's Raining Men" print, there was a write-up on each of the Great Minds: including name, age, former kingdoms. It also had details on how all of them were earning their upkeeps. For example, the Vulcan/Romulan expy is actually still getting his upkeep paid by his original kingdom, even though they've "released" him. However, most of them were listed as earning upkeep by being casters for hire to the various kingdoms outside the MK. I'd assume that is what the other casters do as well, since most kingdoms will only have access to 2 or 3 different disciplines.
    Probably, while units without kingdom (as Jill) go barbarians, casters can reside in the MK waiting for an engagement.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-07-27 at 02:29 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

19. - Top - End - #1009

who pays the upkeep of casters with no side that reside in the Magic Kingdom? Or do *all* casters belong to a side
    In textupdate#1, we learned that the casters in the MK are barbarians.
    So, they have to earn their own upkeep, e.g. by making and selling scolls, or hiring out.
    They also grow food, like mushrooms, wine and rice.
    Last edited by hajo; 2012-07-27 at 05:40 AM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, no one can deny that Stanley really knows how to inspire his followers...
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Anyway, no one can deny that Stanley really knows how to inspire his followers...
    The Byng school of encouragement.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ogre in the Playground

Update.

Spoiler
    Show
    You know, I had a feeling Charlie had a roll in that spell.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Titan in the Playground

Norma Jeane... eheheh

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know, I had a feeling Charlie had a roll in that spell.
    Decisely, it seems so.
    This also explains why Jojo was prepared when Parson entered the MK.

Now, let's see if this info breaks somehow the "Jojo's side" (Mr. Tracy and friends).
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-08-01 at 01:53 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm wondering who that POV belongs to in the last panel.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I'm wondering who that POV belongs to in the last panel.
    The PoV of a Thinkagram between Isaac Cipher and Parson Gotti? Isaac's mouth isn't open at all. Although, it could possibly be Charlie's PoV as many people have theorized that he can spy on Thinkagrams.
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "What's the worst thing that could happen?"
    - Maxim 14 of the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. From Schlock Mercenary by Howard Tayler.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thalnawr View Post
    The PoV of a Thinkagram between Isaac Cipher and Parson Gotti? Isaac's mouth isn't open at all. Although, it could possibly be Charlie's PoV as many people have theorized that he can spy on Thinkagrams.
    Parson's in the panel, it can't be his POV per se. It could be Charlie. I actually hadn't noticed that Isaac's mouth was closed.

27. - Top - End - #1017

Could be Maggie's. If she's in the MK now, she'll be coming up from behinf Parson, and as GK's thinkamancer is supposed to be keeping tabs on him.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Could be Maggie's. If she's in the MK now, she'll be coming up from behinf Parson, and as GK's thinkamancer is supposed to be keeping tabs on him.
    But it's above them. If it was Maggie's it'd be from below. Also, unless Maggie has tunnel vision, there's no reason no for blackness around the edges of the shot.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Parson's in the panel, it can't be his POV per se. It could be Charlie.
    My bet's officially on Charlie.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, seems that someone has a bit of problem keeping her pants on. And evidence that Wanda had been at this city at one time.