New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld, The Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if Jillian never actually escaped and if this is all some sort of dream induced by the glass casket...seems a bit coincidental she'd happen to bump into Goodminton of all places!
    Keep in mind this is a setting where Fate is a tangible thing and has a spellcasting school around it.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

You know, I wonder if Wanda might happen to show up at her old home while Jillian is there.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ogre in the Playground

Comic Update
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Parson will step through, but not until the Carnymancers have made their move, it seems.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Comic Update
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Parson will step through, but not until the Carnymancers have made their move, it seems.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I had to guess, Jojo got a call from Charlie, telling him to let Parson through so the trap can be sprung.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I had to guess, Jojo got a call from Charlie, telling him to let Parson through so the trap can be sprung.
    That was my thought as well.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    That was my thought as well.
    Hmm, raises an interesting point about:

Spoiler
    Show
    The limits of Predictamancy. If Marie has forseen Parson being in peril in Spacerock, she hasn't said anything. Either she hasn't predicted the trap, Charlie can somehow manipulate Predictamancy to conceal his plans, or maybe she sees that he'll pull through fine.

Or maybe she wants him croaked there.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, raises an interesting point about:

Spoiler
    Show
    The limits of Predictamancy. If Marie has forseen Parson being in peril in Spacerock, she hasn't said anything. Either she hasn't predicted the trap, Charlie can somehow manipulate Predictamancy to conceal his plans, or maybe she sees that he'll pull through fine.

Or maybe she wants him croaked there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What we've seen of Predictamancy doesn't suggest a large amount of detail, outside of "This WILL happen, one way or another", and Fate being what it is, such Predictions probably aren't overly common, because what fun is a world if every last detail is predetermined.

It was Predicted that Wanda would join Haffaton. It was Predicted that she would one day attune with an Arkentool.

Faq was Predicted to fall, quite possibly by Wanda's actions specifically, if I remember my text updates properly.

Parson's passing through the portal has been Predicted. Janis helping him in this has been Predicted.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2012-10-26 at 01:06 PM.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show

Seems to me Marie is happy with what will happen once Parson passes through the portal, or she wouldn't be so pleased about all this. Whether Parson will be pleased I don't know, but I'm pretty sure he'll survive this--all this stuff about him being so important to Erfworld would be pointless otherwise.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Bugbear in the Playground

My read is that JoJo has received new orders from Charlie to
    A) Let the Fat Man through (we know Charlie wants this)
    B) Go through with him.

He will probably ustify this switch by saying that he's going along to represent the interests of those faction of MK that he's been stirring up. His real reason though will be to carry out Charlie's further wishes, which are likely not in the MK's best interests.

The question is,

C) Will this attempted subterfuge reveal his secret connection to Charlie, turning the rest of the MK against him?
    D) What will happen if/when he goes through and meets up with Sylvia? After all, we have reason to think that he's just working for Charlie in payment for whatever fate-twisting the latter did for her.
    E) Given that he seems to be (and apparently have been for some time) working with Charlie, how does that figure into his relationship with Queen Bea, and was he gaming the system against her?
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-10-27 at 03:11 AM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    My read is that JoJo has received new orders from Charlie to
    A) Let the Fat Man through (we know Charlie wants this)
    I believe that too.

Anyway, it appears that also Parson cannot further stand the impasse...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

11. - Top - End - #1271

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I believe that too.
    Yeah, but where most people seem to think Charlie's plan is to get Hampster killed, (because that's what he told Slately), I'm not convinced. Oh, sure, that's Plan B - Charlie always has backup plans - but Job One is always "what's best for Charlie" and Charlie's been pretty plain about wanting Parson working for him.

Just my WAG and until now, I couldn't see how he'd do it, but I suspect that's where JoJo comes in. Parson still has the scroll, and JoJo's job will be to convince him to use it as his last escape when everything goes bad to go "back where he once belonged." But, JoJo is a conman, it's Charlie's scroll, and where Charlie thinks he belongs is TADA working for Charlie.

At the very least, JoJo's job is to retrieve and convey the Mathamancy Bracer to Charlescomm, since I seriously doubt Charlie would have let anything about that slip to Slately, nor would he be willing to allow such a valuable device to fall into anyone else's hands.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-10-27 at 02:01 PM.
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but where most people seem to think Charlie's plan is to get Hampster killed, (because that's what he told Slately), I'm not convinced. Oh, sure, that's Plan B - Charlie always has backup plans - but Job One is always "what's best for Charlie" and Charlie's been pretty plain about wanting Parson working for him.

Just my WAG and until now, I couldn't see how he'd do it, but I suspect that's where JoJo comes in. Parson still has the scroll, and JoJo's job will be to convince him to use it as his last escape when everything goes bad to go "back where he once belonged." But, JoJo is a conman, it's Charlie's scroll, and where Charlie thinks he belongs is TADA working for Charlie.

At the very least, JoJo's job is to retrieve and convey the Mathamancy Bracer to Charlescomm, since I seriously doubt Charlie would have let anything about that slip to Slately, nor would he be willing to allow such a valuable device to fall into anyone else's hands.
    The Mathmancy bracer is neat but is it really all that superior to an actual Mathmancer you can hire from the pool of unemployed magicians?

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    The Mathmancy bracer is neat but is it really all that superior to an actual Mathmancer you can hire from the pool of unemployed magicians?
    Yeah, because it's free. Charlie wants to make money without spending money.

14. - Top - End - #1274

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, because it's free. Charlie wants to make money without spending money.
    It's also "instant and effortless." Sizemore anyway seems to be impressed: "very powerful item. Or maybe artifact." Charlie found the offer "intriging" and flat out states "I'd also like the smart warlord who comes with it, but I'll pry it from his remains if I must." I've seen nothing in his conversations with Slately to indicate hie's changed his mind about either of those desires.

Don't forget that he made a deal with Jetstone once before, with a live Parson as his price. I can easily see him making another deal with Slately, with the same price in mind but not explicitly stated. AND, given that Ansom did in fact accept the previous deal and Charlie kept his end of it, I can also see where in his view he's already owed that payment, and thus that's "where [he] once belonged."
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-10-27 at 09:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Anything that gives Charlie the same basic capabilities as his largest business rival without actually having to utilize their services has to be of the utmost importance. Charlescomm is basically the Magic Kingdom using technology and specialized units instead of magic and -mancers.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ogre in the Playground

Peace through Superior Firepower Update.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, Delphie thought ahead.
    - The Flying Kipper

17. - Top - End - #1277

Peace through Superior Firepower Update.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, Delphie thought ahead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    She was a Predictamancer. Thinking ahead is Job One. Unfortunately as Cassandra learned, that doesn't entail being believed.

hmm... something here sounds familiar...

Spoiler
    Show
    Unexpected air units and hidden/suborned wild or natural ally units? Yeah, who's been caught and/or suspected of using those tactics before?
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-10-28 at 04:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1278

BlackDragon

I still think:

Spoiler
    Show

Jillian will actually succeed in taking Haffaton out. The backstory she told way back in volume 1 clearly stated that Wanda was a Faq caster, as I recall, and the only way that could presumably happen is if Faq destroys Haffaton.

One does have to wonder how fate would play out if Jillian actually followed the instructions on the note, though...unfortunately we're never likely to find out!

19. - Top - End - #1279

and the only way that could presumably happen is if Faq destroys Haffaton.
    Not really. Destruction is likely, but not needed by any stretch; all that need happen is a snatch-and-grab, which given we've seen megalogwiffs do just that, isn't off the table.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Troll in the Playground

I just had a pretty scary thought. We've all seen how Wanda can be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless being part of an existing side negates that, she's an heir like Jillian was, if she gets a hold of a loose capital site, she could break away and continue her creepy decrypted Fate cult thing without Stanley to (vaguely) keep her in check.
    Swoop Falcon

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    I just had a pretty scary thought. We've all seen how Wanda can be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless being part of an existing side negates that, she's an heir like Jillian was, if she gets a hold of a loose capital site, she could break away and continue her creepy decrypted Fate cult thing without Stanley to (vaguely) keep her in check.
    I would be OH SO VERY OK with this.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

22. - Top - End - #1282

I'd say there's a better then fair chance Jillian can pull it off if Banhammer lets her orders stand. She's seen the capitol and it defenses, scouted the way, and while a bit over-confident should be experienced enough to know what she is and is not conceivably capable of.

*spoiler for WAG speculation*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Remember too that she's called for six turns of accelerated Predictamancy, presumably to tell her where to stay away from, and for all warlords and casters to accompany the attack. Even if most of them are reluctant to fight that's a lot of casters with a lot of leadership, including a master class foolamancer who can help veil the approach. Jill herself said in Bk 1 how much she'd have liked to take him on some raids and that "he would have loved it."

Once the capitol falls, the side falls (that's the whole point) leaving a lot of barbarian towns and an enormous power vacuum into which GK can expand to the major force it once was. (Stanley won "a lot of battles" under Saline IV, and he had to win them against someone.) Capturing Wanda of course brings her to FAQ and it's eventual fall to him, and thus fulfills Marie's prophecy that Haffaton will cause the fall of FAQ - not by conquering it, but by being conquered by it, since it's probable that once that happens and Banhammer decides there's no more danger, he'll call off the dumb "evacuation" idea and go back to running a bubble kingdom.

He will argue that when a city falls, the side that lost it knows what side it fell to, though not much more - we saw that when Jillian took Diceroll. But if the whole side falls, then no one is left to remember even the name, and the very existence of FAQ once again becomes a secret, so let's keep it that way.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2012-10-29 at 12:09 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1283

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember too that she's called for six turns of accelerated Predictamancy
    Er, no:

Spoiler
    Show

She called for six turns of accelerated *production* in order to get more units. We have no idea if other aspects of Faq's operations will also be accelerated over those six turns.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Titan in the Playground

I still think:

Spoiler
    Show

Jillian will actually succeed in taking Haffaton out. The backstory she told way back in volume 1 clearly stated that Wanda was a Faq caster, as I recall, and the only way that could presumably happen is if Faq destroys Haffaton.
    I tend to agree with this.
    If I recall correctly, the only time we saw a single defecting unit, that passed to the enemy, was with Unkroaked Ossomer, and Wanda was very surprised about it.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I tend to agree with this.
    If I recall correctly, the only time we saw a single defecting unit, that passed to the enemy, was with Unkroaked Ossomer, and Wanda was very surprised about it.
    We have seen another unit turn. Wanda.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If memory serves, it was mentioned at one point that Turnamancers could help turn enemy units into friendlies with the aid of a dungeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    If memory serves, it was mentioned at one point that Turnamancers could help turn enemy units into friendlies with the aid of a dungeon.
    That's is if the unit dosn't LIKE being in the dungeon. (Wonder who I could be talking about? )

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As far as I can tell, Wanda and Ossomer are the only ones that have turned without needing to be captured and forced to turn first. Duncan Scone (Jillain's Chief Warlord) and Jack Snipe are people that were turned after being captured.

Well, I suppose we don't know for sure if Jack was captured first or if he turned for the same reasons Wanda did.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ettin in the Playground

The awkward thing about this note's prediction is that there aren't very many things Jillian can lose.

We know her father survives, because she's not Overlord when her side falls.

We know Jack survives, because he's still alive.

We know Wanda and Jillian both survive, of course.

We know FAQ survives up until Stanley smashes it later.

There's not really anyone else she cares about! Everyone who went out on missions with her is already dead. She loathes the other casters at FAQ. She could suffer a bit (and so could everyone else), but at this point we more-or-less know that she wins, so the note's warning of all the loss and suffering she'll get for not listening to it seems a bit odd.

30. - Top - End - #1290

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    but at this point we more-or-less know that she wins, so the note's warning of all the loss and suffering she'll get for not listening to it seems a bit odd.
    Losing her father and her kingdom aren't enough of a loss? No matter how annoyed she gets with her father's decisions, Faq is still her home and Banhammer is still her father, and we know that the sequence of events she's just set in motion end up with her losing both!