New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Erfworld, The Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Does anyone actually believe he's a Hippiemancer? I assumed that Janis simply said that because she seems to be the Chief Hippiemancer herself and that's something she therefore could claim in order to save him without risk of being contradicted.
    He's a something, and Janice could technically be right - if Parson manages to 'win' Erfworld and end the fighting forever, he'd be the best Hippiemancer of all time.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Does anyone actually believe he's a Hippiemancer? I assumed that Janis simply said that because she seems to be the Chief Hippiemancer herself and that's something she therefore could claim in order to save him without risk of being contradicted.
    Yeah, I won't really believe it without further evidence, either... but he did survive passing through the portal once already. Maybe Janis was telling the truth. Maybe it's some other property of Parson's... like he's allowed through because of his special origins (as the fruit of a Magic Kingdom conspiracy), or maybe he's just immune to disbanding. Maybe the portal doesn't really disband non-caster units; they just get croaked by whatever casters are on hand for intruding into the Magic Kingdom, and Janis just talked them out of croaking Parson. But whatever the explanation, we know Parson is capable of it, assuming he can avoid the wrath of the Magic Kingdom denizens again.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Whatever the explanation, we know that normal Erfworld denizens die when going through the portal because that's how Queen Whatserface killed herself in the text updates between volume 1 and 2. Therefore Stanley would die going through the portal, which was the point being made.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    we know Parson is capable of it, assuming he can avoid the wrath of the Magic Kingdom denizens again.
    That's why Janice and Marie are there. Oh, and don't forget Maggie's little message to the Thinkamancers - protect Parson on his run through the tunnel.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

5. - Top - End - #215

It occurs to me to be extra-sorry for Sizemore, because while he's tearing himself up inside over violating the Magic Kingdom's neutrality, the Magic Kingdom themselves are violating it left and right.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

the Magic Kingdom themselves are violating it left and right.
    Indeed, as underlined again in the current text update.
    Which, BTW, I like... nothing new, but I like the feelings it gives to me.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

I just can't wait for it to happen already! I want to see Parson tower over the tiny Erfworldians.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

And let the potentially awesome plan commence! If we're lucky we will find out more about Parson's unique status, and whether he is actually a caster.

Also, I keep loving Sizemore more and more.

Finally...is it just me, or does that Thinkamancer in red remind anyone else of Vaarsuvius?

9. - Top - End - #219

BlackDragon

So Maggie is enlisting the other Thinkamancers to help out here...interesting. She obviously believes strongly that Parson needs to do this.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    So Maggie is enlisting the other Thinkamancers to help out here...interesting. She obviously believes strongly that Parson needs to do this.
    We've known that for a while though, right?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Since they are all "Great Minds, that Think Alike", it's only natural, they work together.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I the only one who thinks something will go horribly wrong when Parson enters the MK? Maggie's honest confidence in panel 10 just begs for an ironic outcome.

Also, it seems that both King Don and Slatley's room will be stormed by their chief warlords and some high level units to remove them from their throne. In one case litterally, in the other metaphorically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

13. - Top - End - #223

Note that Isaac says only that the message was received and that they'll be there, not that they agree with the message or that they'll help.

14. - Top - End - #224

BlackDragon

Note that Isaac says only that the message was received and that they'll be there, not that they agree with the message or that they'll help.
    Thinkamancers all seem to be linked up in some way, from what we've heard in this book--I think Maggie would know if Isaac and the others were not there to help.

(On a related question, I wonder how this Thinkamancy link affected the others when Maggie was part of the linked trio in book 1?).

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

We already knew this... the real question (imo) is: how far the Magic Kingdom will go in helping Parson, without officially breaking their neutral status?
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2011-04-08 at 02:53 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

After today's text update I think I understand now what Jillian's purpose in the story is. If Wanda didn't have that blind spot, there'd be nothing to keep her and Parson from curb-stomping the RCC and eventually all of Erfworld.

Once the battle for Jetstone is over with, I suspect Lord Hamster's going to force a talk with Lady Firebaugh about the Queen of Faq.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

17. - Top - End - #227
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    We already knew this... the real question (imo) is: how far the Magic Kingdom will go in helping Parson, without officially breaking their neutral status?
    It's not exactly the Magic Kingdom, there's a conspiracy within the Magic Kingdom which appears to be primarily composed of Sideless casters who escaped there when their Side disbanded. It's the members of that conspiracy that are showing up to cover Parson's entry and exit in the Magic Kingdom, because not everyone there is in on it, and some would almost certainly disagree vehemently with what's being done.

18. - Top - End - #228

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    Once the battle for Jetstone is over with, I suspect Lord Hamster's going to force a talk with Lady Firebaugh about the Queen of Faq.
    Parson's already said that the priority for next turn is to try and kill Jillian and end Faq as a side...obviously he hasn't discussed that with Wanda yet!

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    It's not exactly the Magic Kingdom, there's a conspiracy within the Magic Kingdom which appears to be primarily composed of Sideless casters who escaped there when their Side disbanded. It's the members of that conspiracy that are showing up to cover Parson's entry and exit in the Magic Kingdom, because not everyone there is in on it, and some would almost certainly disagree vehemently with what's being done.
    Good point. I wonder how many are involved... and what percentage they represent of the casters in the MK.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I think it's just the Thinkamancers.
    First of all, I think all the casters in the MK come from destroyed Sides, or Casters who abandoned their Sides. The MK is not a Side in of itself, so it can't pop casters.

I got the impression that the Thinkamancers, with their communication abilities, have a sort of global organization beyond that of most Casters. The Thinkamancers hate and/or fear Charlie, who is able to use their powers despite not being one of them.

They are supporting Parson because they think he has the best chance of taking down Charlie, just like the Hippiemancers support Parson because they think he might bring peace to a world defined by war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    First of all, I think all the casters in the MK come from destroyed Sides, or Casters who abandoned their Sides. The MK is not a Side in of itself, so it can't pop casters.

I got the impression that the Thinkamancers, with their communication abilities, have a sort of global organization beyond that of most Casters. The Thinkamancers hate and/or fear Charlie, who is able to use their powers despite not being one of them.

They are supporting Parson because they think he has the best chance of taking down Charlie, just like the Hippiemancers support Parson because they think he might bring peace to a world defined by war.
    I agree with this. The biggest reason I've gathered that Parson is getting support from the MK Thinkamancers is because they view Charlie as the most dangerous person in Erfworld. We don't know if that is true or bias, but his attunement to the Arkendish grants him huge thinkamancy powers despite not being a thinkamancer.

I'm assuming this is why Wanda is...accepted. IIRC, other croakamancers aren't happy about her uberpowers now, but given that she is still one of them, it's more acceptable.

22. - Top - End - #232

I don't really think Wanda was all that accepted. She certainly doesn't seem eager to go into MK to face her peers.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

23. - Top - End - #233

Flumph

All the permanent residents are Barbarians, but all casters spend time in the Magic Kingdom.

The Great Minds are not just Thinkamancers though, Marie, a Predictamancer, and Janis, a Hippiemancer, are also in on it. Not everyone in the MK is involved though, hence the flash mob to cover Parson.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

I thougth there were several conspiracies going on simultanously. For one the Great Minds who gang up against Charley, and Janis/Marie, with their perfect warlord gambit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

New update.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like very much the "respectful behaviour". It's the most polite threat of rebellion I've ever seen.

I'm the only one that find that Don's expression in the ninth panel, is scary?
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236

New update.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like very much the "respectful behaviour". It's the most polite threat of rebellion I've ever seen.

I'm the only one that find that Don's expression in the ninth panel, is scary?
    I was just about to says something about that panel too. "Scary" does not cover it. "Murderous" maybe. The Don is not a guy you want to get mad at you. Right there he is thinking about giving Caesar the ol' cement slippers.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Barbarian in the Playground

Actually, what I've been thinking about since she sent that message was that it didn't specify that they were supposed to help Parson. It said, "PGLH TO ENTER MK, PASS GK TO SR PORTAL, PROTECT"

"Protect" could mean protect Parson as he makes his run, but it could also easily mean protect the Spacerock portal from the rogue warlord who is trying to break the rules of the magic kingdom again.

New update.

Spoiler
    Show
    I really don't think it is a thread of rebellion. I doubt most of them could even want to rebel, let alone actually doing it. Units, especially units popped for the side and not converted, have a strong loyalty to their ruler. They can get away with disputing an order if it's for the ruler or the side's own good, but rebel against the king? Very few units are going to have that low a loyalty stat. Even when Wanda betrayed Faq to Stanley, she did it because she thought Banhammer and his troops would be able to defeat Stanley and she'd get the hammer. It wasn't betrayal as much as bad strategy.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

28. - Top - End - #238

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    Even when Wanda betrayed Faq to Stanley, she did it because she thought Banhammer and his troops would be able to defeat Stanley and she'd get the hammer. It wasn't betrayal as much as bad strategy.
    ?? I don't recall that ever being mentioned...got a link?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

?? I don't recall that ever being mentioned...got a link?
    Stanely seemed an imbecile. I imagined he would lose, and his artifact would fall to me.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

30. - Top - End - #240

BlackDragon

Ah! OK, you remember it much better than I do...