New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Nexus OoC 14

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Nexus OoC 14

Due to general agreement between people on both sides of the line, TOWN and ACRO merged. Thus, all threads which previously would have fallen in once category or another, are now tagged [NEXUS].

LONG LIVE THE NEXUS!

So, what is Nexus?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, the Nexus itself is like a rift, a single, brilliant point where all the universes in this strange thing we call 'reality' meet. Traveling to, from, and between any world or cosmology is theoretically possible here, and the Nexus itself seems to encourage this happening, often sucking beings and locations out of other universes at random, and dumping them on the world that lies at its center. It was not always like this, however. Once there were two worlds at the Nexus' heart, separate and distinct, though somewhat similar in ways. Similar enough that they slowly and eventually merged, so that only one remained. Here in this world the Nexus' influence reigns supreme, and as such the world has defied almost all attempts at classification. Here, knights of old may engage with Jedi knights. Gleaming spaceships land in Dark Age hamlets. Cowboys and samurai quest together to find holy sandwich boxes. And in the heavens above, Xi Wangmu and the Flying Spaghetti Monster meet every Woden's Day to play bowls with Pelor (it gets pretty epic). Here the possibilities are endless, and the universe without rules (except the Forum Rules, and the general FFRP rules, and the Individual Thread Rules, and oh whatever). Welcome to Nexus. Fun is had here.

Major Locales
    Spoiler
    Show

For an endless world that defies all logic and classification, Nexus can be pretty darn consistent at times. As such, several locations have survived the test of time, remaining (somewhat) constant amidst the chaos of the rest of the world.

Inside - Inside mostly resembles a modern city, with high-rise buildings and apartments, alleyways and roads, though the odd Demonic Monument can still be seen rising up above the surrounding suburb, teeming with dark cultists. Inside is the current seat of the Acronymian Empire, which controls much of the surrounding area.

Outside - If you ain't Inside, you're OUTSIDE! Simple as that. Outside is a meta-thread for all those wildernessy type areas that don't merit their own threads, be it wood or lake or tiny shack.

ACRONYMS - Home to adventurers, these complexes provide headquarters and occasionally living space for like-minded Player Characters. Invariably equipped with cheesy names, these structures provide a place for their various members to fight crime, cause chaos, or anything of the sort. Current Acronyms include:
    • AMEN - Association for the Malicious, Evil and Nefarious. Evil aligned organization, exists to be EVIL! And sometimes Ebil.
    • HALO - Heroic, Anti-evil and Lawbreaking Organization. Non-Evil aligned organization, exists to smite wrong-doers.
    • GLoG - Good League of Good. Good aligned organization, exists to redeem evil-doers.
    • LANTERN - Lawful Awesome Not-Neutral Truthful Anti-Evil Respectable Nothing Else. Good-Aligned group dedicated to fighting evil and crime of any sort.
    • NO - Neutralist Oganization. Neutral aligned organization, exists to perform mercenary contracts for other organizations and individuals in the Nexus without taking sides
    • WATCHTOWER - You Know What? Screw It. Non-aligned aligned organization. Exists to destroy threats to Nexus, whatever form they may take.
    • SAINT - Society of Assassins, Infiltrators, Ninja, and Terrorists. Assasin's guild, located in Riverside.
    • PACK - Perfectly Acceptable College for Kids. The local Nexus school. Class mostly occurs offscreen, though...

The Taverns
    What kind of vaguely DnD-esque adventurer would you be if you didn't visit one of these places at least once? The various Taverns, Grills, Hotels, Cantinas and Restaurant provide meeting places for the Player Characters, areas for quest givers to stand mysteriously in, and also places for people to eat and spend the money they seem to have infinite amounts of. Though there are a vast number of such places in Nexus, some with their own thread and some without, throughout history three major hubs have existed, without which Nexus as we know it wouldn't exist. The Dancing Fox Inn, which is located in What used to be Town but is now another part of the Inside. Taverna Generica, which is located near Inside's more NPC inhabited areas. Finally, there is Trog's Tavern, which is located, maddeningly enough, at every corner of the Nexus at the same time. There is also the Black Dragon's Den, it's located roughly between the docks and the slums of Inside, and is the local hive of scum and villainy.

General Nexus FAQs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Is there a guide to getting started? Besides this post, which you're currently reading, you should also read post 3 of the stickied FFRP Central thread. Once you've read both, you can ask any questions you ask in the current Nexus OOC thread. If you have no questions, post in the Nexus OOC anyway to introduce yourself. And welcome.

What kind of character can I make? Any. There are no restrictions on genre, alignment, world of origin, etc.

Will my power work the way it does in the source setting? Almost certainly not. In your setting, you may have been the Mighty Zorlox, whose power to control the world's socks was absolute, but in the Nexus, you may run across Madam Bo Peep, who controls the world's wool.

If my power goes against your power, who wins? In combat or any type of adversarial situation, the defender has the final say. So if Zorlox tries to turn Bo Peep's wool socks purple, Peep's player gets to decide if her wool power prevails. But if Bo Peep tries to have a pair of wool socks strangle Zorlox, then his player gets to decide if his sock power wins.

Oh no! Someone's already using my character concept! In the Nexus, all cosmologies are true. Just because someone is playing the incarnation of Death doesn't mean you can't as well. You are very unlikely to come up with a character concept that is wholly unique while remaining playable; there is nothing new under the sun, and so on.

Sometimes you'll say 'I just came up with a great character idea - they have x race and y abilities and z backstory and I'll call her Linda' and someone will say 'You mean like my character Lynda over there that I introduced last week?' No one really knows why these sort of coincidences occur, but the Nexus seems especially prone to them. When they do, the best thing to do is to fiddle with your character concept a bit to set them apart.

Where should I start? Long answer, you can start in any thread that isn't a private thread or a plot thread. Short answer, Trog's. Just start at Trog's.

Do I need to get pre-approval for my character, or fill in a registry form before I start?
    Nope. You can if you like, but it's not required. And sometimes it's better to get a feel for your character first, before deciding all the details about them.

Your first character (copied from FFRP Central)
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, you're ready to make your first character. One of the hardest things to get used to in ffrp is that you don't start out in an adventuring party, and there's no DM to push characters together. You'll have to actually find people to interact with on your own. Here are some tips (not requirements!) for making that easier on your first character:
    • Don't be the quiet person in the shadowy corner. If you roleplay as someone who is outgoing and talkative, you'll find it easier to make IC friends. Someone who is curious or greedy will be more open to plot hooks and adventure opportunities. But if you roleplay someone who is shy or quiet or wary of other people, you're likely to be left alone.
    • Don't be openly evil. If you walk into the tavern and start murdering npcs, you are unlikely to make a lot of friends and very likely to get jumped on by a bunch of PCs who were looking for a fight.
    • Consider starting low-powered. It's tempting in a freeform system with no scores or points to decide that your character is the best at everything, but where will they go from there? They can always gain powers or magic items or skills as they go on.
    • Don't be too needy. Remember in ffrp, you are not THE hero of the story. You are A hero, and there are many stories. The characters you meet at first are likely to be involved in their own affairs. Some players start by having their character immediately in need of rescue, healing, training, attention, etc. This can work well, but make sure you have a plan B in case there is no one willing to drop everything to devote themselves to being your rescuer! Can your character make it if they receive only a minimal amount of help, or none at all?
    • Don't be too self-sufficient. Remember in ffrp, you are not THE hero of the story. You are A hero, and there are many stories. If you are a combat powerhouse and a healer and a master of obscure lore and a spellcaster, people are likely to get weary of their characters taking a back seat to yours and decide you can do just fine without them.
    • Be aware of deadtimes and real life. Sometimes, not many people are online and active. Sometimes the people who are may only have a limited time to play and want to use it to progress their favorite storyline instead of meeting new people. Try to be patient and remember that it won't be long before you'll be the one wrapped up in your own favorite storylines. Talk to people in the ooc thread while you wait for your character to get 'stuck in'.
    • Have fun! Remember this is a game, and if it isn't fun, you aren't doing it right.

Note: This is the OOC thread. Not a roleplaying thread. That's what the actual roleplaying threads and SMBG are for.

Nexus Character Directory
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Nexus OoC 14

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    Uh-huh.
    Okay. How 'bout I make, for my part of the duo, an inattentive wannabe schemer in a stereotypical "HAY GUISE IM A VILUN" longcoat (which she keeps tripping over)?
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

And SACRED kinda failed.
    I think it hasn't seen any activity because all the characters involved can get the same interaction and more at HALO. Basically there needs to be more gods from outside of HALO.

I was going to have Ghar show up there if his evil scheme wasn't stopped.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I do have a god character, he just isn't all that public and don't really see himself as a god of anything anyway.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Okay. How 'bout I make, for my part of the duo, an inattentive wannabe schemer in a stereotypical "HAY GUISE IM A VILUN" longcoat (which she keeps tripping over)?
    Sounds good, I hafta think of one now.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGsr4me View Post
    I think it hasn't seen any activity because all the characters involved can get the same interaction and more at HALO. Basically there needs to be more gods from outside of HALO.

I was going to have Ghar show up there if his evil scheme wasn't stopped.
    Well that's because no one decided to join. I should've invited more people to begin with though.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

And SACRED kinda failed.
    I have very strong opinions on the whole thing. An organization of gods really irks me. But even looking past my personal distaste I can already imagine an number of reasons for it's failure. Now on of the big things about the existing organizations is new characters often find themselves joining them. Now how many new characters are deities. Not many.

In fact a lot of established players on FFRP don't play deity characters. So you've already limited the audience base.

Additionally the new organization only really offered something different then HALO in allowing evil Deities in. I don't think have a single PC evil deity. Earls god of invertebrates being the closest one, and he is played a PC but mostly the followers are played.

So they don't really get anything new out of the organization

You aren't going to get a ton of new characters joining

And a number of players will avoid it like the plague because they don't like the idea of an organization of gods.

Additionally at lot of the cults wouldn't get along or even want to belong to the same organization as one another.

Your consultation prize. I remember you from back then. Though you still where in HALO mostly back then.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Now I need to come up with a ludicrous weapon for my fail-villain to suck at wielding.

Celty, your avy still makes me rage because I can't find my goshdarn crayons. Crayons are just so dang fun.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

@Celtois- Yep, those are all incredibly true.

I remember we met in DFI through Mee.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Now I need to come up with a ludicrous weapon for my fail-villain to suck at wielding.

Celty, your avy still makes me rage because I can't find my goshdarn crayons. Crayons are just so dang fun.
    A jukebox.

Not a magical jukebox, or a weaponised Jukebox.

Just throw it at people. Or blast terrible music.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Oops! Posted in the old OOC! Hehe.
    Anywho, blame RPG because it's his fault I'm going with the ork big mek idea that's been in my mind for some time.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    A jukebox.

Not a magical jukebox, or a weaponised Jukebox.

Just throw it at people. Or blast terrible music.
    I'm thinking of something more... sort-of-holdable.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

I still haven't got around to transparentizing the back ground or rotating it either. Which makes me rage... Maybe I should just switch it out for something new.

In other news. Yes crayons are awesome!

Anyways I wish you luck with your wanderings back into the wide world of FFRP.

Yep. DFI back then. What two years ago now. Yeesh. I've been on here a long time. Four years now.

13. - Top - End - #13

Is TE somewhere around need him in trogs.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    Oops! Posted in the old OOC! Hehe.
    Anywho, blame RPG because it's his fault I'm going with the ork big mek idea that's been in my mind for some time.
    Well if you're doing that, I just intruduced a gretchen in Underside. If you're quick he can bust from the same patch of mushrooms.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2011-01-29 at 06:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Naw. I have to think of a name first. And some gear. And I was hoping for him to have been around for a while.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

16. - Top - End - #16

Murkus? I think you need to post in Riverside.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

I think people have missed my latest Hermitage post; it's at the bottom of the previous page.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay... my failvillain will wield the safest weapon ever.

It's a big Super Soaker gun with a soft rubber bayonet.
    Never runs out of water, which is really useful for... putting out candles... annoying people... and nothing else.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Is TE somewhere around need him in trogs.
    I'm always around. Even when I'm deadtimed. You will never be rid of me.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

20. - Top - End - #20

Okay... my failvillain will wield the safest weapon ever.

It's a big Super Soaker gun with a soft rubber bayonet.
    Never runs out of water, which is really useful for... putting out candles... annoying people... and nothing else.
    I was thinking of a Boris Karlof type villain for me.
    "Then we will kill moose and squirrel!
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

This will be epic.
    I will think even more magnificently after I eat, which should be soon.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Nexus OoC 14

I'm thinking of something more... sort-of-holdable.
    I'd have suggested a duck with Mr. Fantastic superpowers but you ninjaed me.

Oh well, then I'll steal that idea for the character idea that Deadpool put in my head.

In other news, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is hilarious and addictive.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I'd have suggested a duck with Mr. Fantastic superpowers but you ninjaed me.

Oh well, then I'll steal that idea for the character idea that Deadpool put in my head.

In other news, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is hilarious and addictive.
    Whatever you do, make sure that the first ability that you have fully upgraded on Deadpool is the best one ever ability. It turns him into the highest statted character in the game.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    Crae is the bestest daddy,
    I make avatars, all you have to do is ask, and I'll do it if I can.
    My Awards
    I've got a Formspring, ask me questions if you want.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

RPG, I posted for Tia in Riverside. Don't know if you want to respond or not, since it was kind of jsut to go over her changes.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

What parts of Inside are the Vikings at? Because Trix is in inside somewhere.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

TE, I have a post for you in Eastside, Riverside. It's a gnome! Named Durk Fallow. The first Fallow married into the family tree of gnomes I have three generations away from King Sheral D'Ath & his Consort Megalana Van Hoop. There's six more gnomes at the bottom should I wish to introduce them. Plus the parents of those six are still alive, which is another ten.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

27. - Top - End - #27

Here is the pic of my new char but I need to have Fade leave Trogs befor he enters.

Spoiler
    Show
    I knew bad qualiti have no better cam.

call him Mr. C
    Last edited by Zefir; 2011-01-29 at 06:41 PM.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    RPG, I posted for Tia in Riverside. Don't know if you want to respond or not, since it was kind of jsut to go over her changes.
    Oh, yeah. I forgot to respond to that didn't I? >.<

Poor Gabriel, has to separate from Tia. How will he survive?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking of a Boris Karlof type villain for me.
    "Then we will kill moose and squirrel!
    Alrighty, you's ready?
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Alrighty, you's ready?
    Uh-huh! Go cartoon Russian fail-villain!
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show