New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Predators of Xendrik [IC]

Denaru

Denaru points to Van. You have teleportation magic, I've seen it. You got something that'll get us across here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Garret quickly gathers a few stones and throws them one at a time, across the bridge to signal that he's safe, before ducking a few feet to the right and crouching in the bushes in case of an ambush.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Banned

Sorry, I can only teleport myself with spells., Van answers instantly. He then remembers a little something. Oh, wait. I can bring you with me if I use my dragonmark's power. You over there, the other canned guy. Come on, I'll bring you both with me.
    The human touches both of his armored companions on their shoulders and invokes the power of his dragonmark.
    [Dimension door to the other side]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Grant frowns 'Canned guy? It's-'
    They vanish, reappearing on the other side a second later 'Stalker.' He looks about and smiles 'My thanks however, Blitz.'
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Banned

Oh, nevermind, I remembered your name. But 'canned guy' sounded funny. He smiles at Stalker. What now, guys?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Jorden looks up, relieved. "Oh, that's an idea...I guess I don't have to walk over...." He snaps his fingers and the wind whips the light topsoil nearby into a whirling column of sand and dirt. <Hello again, Sandy> he says to the elemental in Terran, <would you mind carrying me over this canyon?> He steps into the column of earth and it shoots across the canyon to connect both sides, and then Jorden is whisked along it as if riding a wave into the shore. <Thanks, Sandy, you can go home now> he says on the other side, and the elemental sinks into the ground and disappears.

"Sorry about that, everyone," Jorden says, mildly embarrassed that his acrophobia made him miss such a simple solution. "Lead on."

Spoiler
    Show
    Jorden uses his Summon Elemental reserve feat to summon an air elemental to fly him across, reflavored as a less-substantial earth elemental carrying him across an improvised bridge. Jorden is a Medium load for the Small elemental, which still lets it make it over the canyon at a 4x run in 1 round.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

7. - Top - End - #157
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The ground on the other side of the canyon is softer than the side you left behind and the jungle in front of you is thicker with underbrush and low hanging trees. A worn dirt path leads away from the bridge into the jungle towards the direction of the building you saw earlier.

The soft ground holds impressions better and you can easily spot multiple sets of tracks on the path, heading into the jungle. Though they are somewhat clumped together it's easy to make out the size of the creatures; mostly medium, with a one or two trails of smaller sized footprints.

Survival DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    Judging by the depth of the impressions and the erosion of them you determine that the tracks were made about a week ago. All of the tracks were from bi-pedal creatures and they all wore shoes or boots of some kind.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

8. - Top - End - #158

PaladinGuy

"Something went through here," Garret says, still invisible. "About a week ago. They may be set up in ambush for us, or it could be coincidence. I think the Drow use this path a lot though."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd bet gold pieces to golems that this isn't a coincidence. Even if there's no ambush set up for us specifically, walking into a jungle that the drow frequent without any preparation is not the best idea." Jorden peers off into the jungle and notes wryly, "We had enough trouble with two drow hiding in two clumps of trees; I don't know how many drow are in there now, but I see a lot of clumps of trees." Turning to the others, he adds, "Van, Stalker, and, uh...Sir What's-Your-Name, anyone have any ideas for getting around, or are we stuck going through?"

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Banned

Van pauses and thinks for a moment, hand on his chin. I think I could scout ahead, I have a somewhat long range teleport I can use very few minutes, but I can only use it on myself. I'm not a sneak or anything, though. I'd need some help to go unnoticed, if you guys can provide it.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Denaru

And when one of them hits you with one of those boomerangs while the others gut you faster than you can count? Then what? No, we go together.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Banned

Hm, you raise an interesting point, sir priest. I'll have to subscribe to Denaru's idea, yeah. Being gutted is not on my 'to do' list.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Denaru

Noted.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Stalker laughs suddenly 'Noted...'

With a shake of his head he banishes the insistent grin. 'Aye, but it's no good just picking a direction and walking toward it, separate or not. But I don't trust these footprints.' Drawing one of his long blades he stabs it into the ground, in the indentation left by one of the smaller footprints. 'I can't imagine even the Drow would bring their young, when still this young, to the battle. Besides... It's too easy.'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

15. - Top - End - #165

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+20)[24]
    Move Silently: (1d20+20)[35]
    Spot: (1d20+12)[20]
    Listen: (1d20+12)[25]

Invisibility should wear off shortly, unless we're ambushed right out I have to be sneaky again /sigh.

Garret sighs, then speaks gruffly. "Maybe you'd like to quit your jawin' and keep goin'. It doesn't matter whether or not the drow were set up in ambush, those... whatever's escaped. If they have any way to get a message to the others, they know exactly where we are, so we'll be ambushed either way. Unless you want to be a drow trophy, get your rear in gear." And with that, he crashes noisily (still invisible) through the brush in the direction of their previous destination.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Banned

Invisible small people are scary. Just saying.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

'You get no arguement from me... I hope he knows where he's going at least...'

Doing his best to follow the sounds of the assassin Grant started off again
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Denaru

Rolling his eyes, Denaru follows the others.

19. - Top - End - #169

This jungle is still wet from the last rain and the undergrowth is slick. Following the dirt trail, it winds back and forth for a few miles, always staying under the canopy. Garret spots some scuffed earth a few paces away from a large tree, and a closer examination shows a large pool of dried blood. Drops lead away from the pool until it reaches the base of the tree and then they disappear.

Less than a hundred feet away from there you can see the building in a wide clearing. What looked at first like a pyramid now reveals itself to be a ziggurat, four stories tall. The old stone looks weathered and smooth from where you're standing and you can see dark entrances at the base leading down into the structure. At the top of the ziggurat are four large poles, each with a body tied and strapped to it. From this distance it's hard to make out many details, but you can tell that they're not wearing any clothes nor skin, much like the dwarf from before. There's a large ramp that runs from the ground to the top of the ziggurat and the dirt path you're on runs right into it.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Peering up at the top of the ziggurat, Jorden remarks, "You just gotta love drow decor. Anyone else feeling foolhardy enough to want to go up there and check things out?"

Show

<Snip>

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

'While I am wary of traps it would be good to get away from this damnable treeline... Close quarter fighting would suit us better than the Drow, and we do need to find somewhere relatively safe for the 'casters to bed down.
    'That said... I can't help but smell a trap.'
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Denaru

If these scions of evil are really harbored up inside of that ziggurat, it is our duty to ensure that they are not allowed to harm others as they have harmed us, and these poor souls who have been so brutally tortured. I will not allow others to suffer and die due to my own personal neglegence.

Before we go in, last call for healing. It would be unfortunate if someone perished needlessly because they didn't speak up.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2011-02-11 at 12:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Banned

To hell with caution! Van says, as he dashes forward, sword in hand, going up the ramp.

24. - Top - End - #174

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+20)[29]
    Move Silently:(1d20+20)[28]
    Spot:(1d20+12)[19]
    Listen:(1d20+12)[23]

Garret draws his wand of invisibility again, prodding himself with it before silently following Van.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

"I guess that's a 'yes' to the foolhardiness, then," Jorden grumbles. He begins to trudge up the steps after Van; after a dozen or so steps, he makes a fist and a creature rises up from the ziggurat, seeming to be formed of the same stone as the old temple. <There's nothing for you to do yet, Rocky,> Jorden tells the creature in Terran, <I'm just being careful, but you can help us take care of those bodies when we reach the top.>

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Summon Elemental for an earth elemental, obviously. He'll just follow along next to Jorden unless something exciting happens.

Show

<Snip>

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

The memory of the exploding corpse still fresh in his mind Grant lets the others ascend before he too mounts the steps.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Denaru

Wordlessly, Denaru follows the others toward the structure.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Jorden waits for the others to catch up, then continues up the steps until he reaches the top of the ziggurat. He looks around warily for any sign of danger, then tells his elemental <Rocky, go take a look at those bodies for any sign of writing, runes, or the like; there were traps on the last set of bodies we found.> Jorden turns to Garret and Van as his elemental goes to carry out his orders, telling them "My friend there is checking the bodies for any more explosive runes. Assuming they don't end up as four large puddles of gore after that, you might want to take a look at them for more traps or any useful gear."

Show

<Snip>

29. - Top - End - #179

The sounds of your own steps on the old stone are the only noise you hear, aside from the slight creaking of the poles bending under the weight of the bodies. Climbing the ramp to the top of the ziggurat, the earth elemental goes to each body in turn, it's featureless face staring at the bodies for a moment before grasping the pole with two hands and shaking it hard. The bodies sway a little, but no explosions happen, nor do spikes punch up through the floor, or darts shoot out from a hidden hole...nor any other manner of gruesome trap that you may happen to imagine.

The elemental completes its circuit and comes back to Jorden, pauses for a moment. It pushes one rock fist against the floor and moves it in circles and lines, almost as if it were imitating writing. Then it looks back up at Jorden at shakes it's head as it sinks down into the floor, a few pebbles left on the surface the only evidence of it's passing.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think elementals can read. So that's what he was trying to communicate.

Closer up you can see that these poor souls were not all dwarfs...in fact, none of them are. There are what you figure to be two humans, a halfling, and a half-orc. The corpses all appear to be males, though their sex is missing, along with several other vital organs. Your recent experience with skinned, trussed up corpses lets you figure that this one died a few days after the dwarf did. Like the other corpse, these are bare of all clothing or gear.

The ground below the corpses is sticky with semi-dried red spoltches and stains, the blood collecting in some depressions and then channeled towards the center of the ziggurat. The channels run from each pole to the a large grate in the middle, easily 15 across. The holes in the grate are small, no more than an inch across, and it looks sturdy, set into the stone floor. A glance down shows a long drop, the suns light illuminating the hole all the way to the bottom, about 200ft down. Down there you can make out some kind of stone slab in the middle of a room, set into a bowl depression in the floor. The blood has collected into the bowl, making a pool around the stone slab.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2011-02-20 at 05:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I was counting on elementals not being able to actually read any writing--wouldn't want to have poor Stony get his head blown off by an explosive rune, would I?

Jorden waves his hand to prestidigitate away the sickly stench of the rotting bodies and looks queasily down through the grating at the slab. "Well, something tells me this is more than just an execution. I thought that dwarf we found had just annoyed a powerful drow, but now I'm guessing it's a religious sacrifice of some sort. And a pretty Host-damned dark one, to boot." Too low for any of the others to hear, Jorden adds under his breath, "Hope they don't require the stereotypical virgin sacrifices, seeing as I was too busy for the cute gnomes at Morgrave."

Jorden stands, rubbing his hands together. "Sooo, anyone want to do anything about this--I'm looking at you, Mr. Inquisitor--or are we going to keep going?"

Show

<Snip>