New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    Do we have a plan of what to do with Jane, Jirou and Cale at this moment?
    Not to my knowledge; So far we've mostly just been letting the scenes play out naturally. Why, was there any particular direction you wanted to take things?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

Well guys, I believe we have hit a *smacks self* DON'T SAY IT!!

Anyways, Hajime is still a bit lonely at his workshop. Of course, he could get out of said workshop if that's what it'll take...
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

And I'm still waiting for horngeek.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

I just don't know what to do with Jason. Currently, he's just playing at the arcade.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    And I'm still waiting for horngeek.
    And I'm waiting for you.

Now we just need to have Horngeek waiting on someone who is waiting on one of us such that it will be an eternal circle of waiting.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    And I'm waiting for you.

Now we just need to have Horngeek waiting on someone who is waiting on one of us such that it will be an eternal circle of waiting.
    I'll bring the popcorn!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Has anyone tried PM'ing horngeek yet? He doesn't always keep up to date on these threads.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Not to my knowledge; So far we've mostly just been letting the scenes play out naturally. Why, was there any particular direction you wanted to take things?
    Not really but I doubt the trio would actually find anything unless the DM says so. And 13 is leaving the rp soon so, who's going to advance the plot?
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Not really but I doubt the trio would actually find anything unless the DM says so. And 13 is leaving the rp soon so, who's going to advance the plot?
    Freeform RPs like this don't really have DMs in the traditional sense. Sometimes players will appoint themselves as the controllers of specific plots, but that doesn't make them 'higher ranking' than the ones who don't. The story is a collective effort, built by consensus. Players take on as much or as little of the responsibility for that as they like, so long as nobody minds them doing it. So while 13_CBS's departure might mean the end of the robots, that doesn't mean that the three investigators are going to be suspended in plot limbo. The 'DM' of any particular part of the game can change at any second, if there even is one at all.

In the end the distinction between 'player' and 'storyteller' is mostly just a matter of perspective. Take me, for example: If you were asked, what part would you say I played in this game? Well, obviously I'm Kiyoshi Jirou, wannabe thug and Esper...

...But I'm also the Chief Administrator of Tokiwadai Academy; And the strange young man who's currently starting a riot in a crowded downtown area; and also a caustic teenage girl standing in a cafe doorway hurling abuse; Oh, and an anonymous Mahjong player of no real importance; And I'm also all the people who stared at Avery's coat as she walked past them. And maybe, in the fullness of time, I'll be a giant bird who swoops down and attacks Jirou, Jane and Cale as they reach the top of the staircase. Or maybe not. Who knows?

So, in answer to your question: The plot will most likely be advanced by a mixture of sudden inspiration, scribbled notes, hasty compromises and a whole lot of talking by...Well, everyone who's even vaguely interested. Welcome to the wonders of freeform gaming...

10. - Top - End - #100

Well I could come up with a plotline. Though that would probably involve creating some NPC's and people would have to be interested in it. How goes the procedure of starting it? Could I just say 'hey everybody I got a plot idea, who wants to join?' or do I have to get it approved first and so everybody knows what is going to happen etc? Also I'd need to know how exactly Esper abilities work. Is it something in the brain that gets activated?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Well I could come up with a plotline. Though that would probably involve creating some NPC's and people would have to be interested in it. How goes the procedure of starting it? Could I just say 'hey everybody I got a plot idea, who wants to join?' or do I have to get it approved first and so everybody knows what is going to happen etc?
    I can give you a few pointers on crafting RP plots if you'd like...

1) I think Callos is the closest thing we have to a "DM" in this game, insofar as he's the one who started it, etc. You may wish to tell him about your ideas for a plot to work things out.

2) I tend to follow Innis Cabal's philosophy on the publicity of game plots; if it involves suspense from surprise (plot twists, etc.), then keep the plot a secret from the players, while asking everyone to trust the plot maker to not mess everything up. However, if you're worried that the other players won't be able to follow your plot unless you tell them what's going on and what is going to happen, feel free to tell everyone what the plot is. But be warned that, by doing so, you'll obviously make it almost impossible to have twists and (pleasant) surprises.

3) Player interest shouldn't be too big of a problem. If the plot you make is going to be the primary one for this game, then most people will probably follow it since at least a good portion of the other players will already be following the plot. What fuels the game is player interaction, and the best way to get those interactions is to place your characters where other characters are, so...

4) If possible, plots that can include as many players as possible (ideally ALL players) are good for Freeform RPs like this one. A left out player is a bored player, and a bored player is likely to leave games. You don't have to include all CHARACTERS, however.

If you'd like to pick up where my plot leaves off/was supposed to go, I can PM you my ideas. At the very least they may give you an idea or two for your own plot.

Also I'd need to know how exactly Esper abilities work. Is it something in the brain that gets activated?
    That's a question I'd like to have answered myself. My understanding is that people with psychic powers generate AIM fields, and somehow or another that lets them manipulate matter/energy/space-time. Kasanip might be able to tell us more, but she's...a bit busy nowadays, it seems.

Also, Silver and Lillith: please check your PMs when you have the time.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2011-01-13 at 03:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Also, Silver and Lillith: please check your PMs when you have the time.
    I did. Sent a reply.

Oh, and if you're all wondering why I suddenly have a super awesome avatar right now, just go and ask Kasanip. She made me it for Anime Week.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2011-01-13 at 03:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I did. Sent a reply.

Oh, and if you're all wondering why I suddenly have a super awesome avatar right now, just go and ask Kasanip. She made me it for Anime Week.
    There was an Anime Week!?

Why did nobody tell me!?!

*Realises avatar is already in a crappy Anime-esque style*

It's a matter of principles*!

*No idea if I used that word right, it basically means it doesn't matter but could in the Northern tongue of flip-flopping-cold-land.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

14. - Top - End - #104

Sorry 13, was at Aikido practice and been studying all day. Reply send. And well I have a plot idea which I could work out, but it has nothing to do with robots. But if Esper powers have something to do with AIM field I might be able to work with that.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    2) I tend to follow Innis Cabal's philosophy on the publicity of game plots; if it involves suspense from surprise (plot twists, etc.), then keep the plot a secret from the players, while asking everyone to trust the plot maker to not mess everything up. However, if you're worried that the other players won't be able to follow your plot unless you tell them what's going on and what is going to happen, feel free to tell everyone what the plot is. But be warned that, by doing so, you'll obviously make it almost impossible to have twists and (pleasant) surprises.
    This, but I take a slightly different approach myself. That being, talk to the people who would be most affected by the plot and work things out with them (even if it might ruin the surprise for them) and put up a public 'summary' of what you CAN share with everyone. That way people who might want to participate in it have a general idea of what's they are getting into. Communication is key. But glad to see you have a plot idea.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

So, when are we going to get Jason involved?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    So, when are we going to get Jason involved?
    Whenever you like. I think we'd assumed that he'd be coming to the group rather than the reverse, but we can do it either way.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Whenever you like. I think we'd assumed that he'd be coming to the group rather than the reverse, but we can do it either way.
    No, I thought someone was going to drag him away or something...

19. - Top - End - #109

There's three people floating in the air, I think that would get some attention from someone who just arrived new to the city. Maybe Jason might notice.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

There's three people floating in the air, I think that would get some attention from someone who just arrived new to the city. Maybe Jason might notice.
    And currently he's in the arcade, playing one of the hardest and most complex games with a crowd watching. I don't think he'll be paying attention.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Is there room for a relatively newcomer? Cause this thread intrigues me.
    My life for Nerzhul!

Join the Cult of the Damned, we have free donuts on fridays! -Bago!!!

"There is a fine line between life and death. The thing is, I just don't give a damn." Lou

Could use some helpful critique for my avatar that I made. Please?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bago!!! View Post
    Is there room for a relatively newcomer? Cause this thread intrigues me.
    Absolutely; Just post your prospective character in this thread and we can go from there. If you need help at any point, don't hesitate to ask.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Heres a question that I could use some help with concerning powers and the 0-5 levels.

I haven't seen Rail so I am trying to figure out how the System Scan works. I checked the wiki, and I don't know how psychic powers concerning things like regeneration would be measured or tested in the five categories.

Or am I missing something?
    My life for Nerzhul!

"There is a fine line between life and death. The thing is, I just don't give a damn." Lou

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

You don't really need to worry about your character's scores in the individual categories. There's not a single person in this RP who has chosen to list their exact System Scan results, because such statistics are almost never relevant. All that the average character sheet requires as far as official power classification goes is the overall Level of the power. If you're not sure about that either, don't worry; Just focus on writing a good description of what the power actually does. Once we have that, estimating the official Level should be easy.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2011-01-15 at 07:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Jane and Hinata just got to meet at some point. Sheer awkwardness of the prospect makes me laugh! XD

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Jane and Hinata just got to meet at some point. Sheer awkwardness of the prospect makes me laugh! XD
    I'm interested in what Jane will pick up in that person's head...

I must assume the worst.
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

"Pick up?"

*giggle*

More like his thoughts will squirm their way onto her lap and make her scratch them behind the ear.

28. - Top - End - #118

"Uh......." *backs away slowly* "CALE!" *runs*

I think Jane wouldn't know what to do. Though you'd have to get her to read his mind first.
    Last edited by Lillith; 2011-01-16 at 01:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Tsubasa would probably creep her out more if they met now.

There are some, tiny emotions there. Otherwise, pure logic.

Also, Frozen? Reply, please.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Would a power that affects AIM be a bit overpowering if not outright impossible?

I read somewhere that an esper would become stronger after killing clones of another. Is it the act of killing or is it the battle itself that would invoke this increase in power?

What are some of the differences between a Gemstone and a normal Esper? Normal Espers get their powers usually?

Is Academy City open to all or is it rather secluded?
    My life for Nerzhul!