New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default "The Six from Shadow" (IC)

"Welcome to the Ragged Edge," grumbles the barkeep while cleaning bits of glass off of the counter. Outside, it is dark and raining, the end of the third consecutive day of storms. Through the grubby windows of the inn, you can see the outer walls of Solstice, but the gates are closed for the evening. "Those damned Sirramar knights, getting involved in politics, it's a nightmare I tell you. This new curfew they imposed, cutting into my business..." The barkeep looks up at you for the first time and pauses, considering the six of you in turn, his expression changing from annoyance, to shock, and finally to indignation. "Who in Baator's name are you people, and what are you doing standing in the doorway of my inn?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-19 at 04:50 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: "The Six from Shadow" (IC)

His black mask and hood obscuring his features as usual, Cynath pulls his black cloak around himself little tighter and does his utmost not to care about the rain pouring against his clothes. When the door of the inn is opened, he steps in rather unceremoniously his black cloak still covering most of his form.

"I believe this is not the usual way to greet paying customers" the voice of the elf hisses out from behind his mask, his irritation making it somewhat chilly. "And you would do well not to speak blasphemy in middle of the city... who knows who might be listening? Maybe even the knights".

Leaning against the wall, he quieted down again.
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2010-12-19 at 10:50 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Synia shakes the rain from her hair and tries to dry herself at least a little. Thank all that is unholy for finding this dump. It may not be much, but at least it's dry. Ignoring Cynath for the moment, she steps up to the barkeep and flashes him her most charming smile.

"And a good day to you as well, my good man. My friends and I, we're on a way into your beautiful city, but it would seem we're barred from doing so, at least for now. Ideally, we would like a room in your establishment and something for eating along. Some information would be handy as well. Think you can provide us with that?"

She puts her chin atop her interwoven fingers and looks at the barkeep, still smiling.
    Last edited by Mordokai; 2010-12-19 at 10:50 AM.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

"Uh... well..." The barkeep seems to be somewhat perplexed by the dual nature of your responses, but after a moment composes himself. "The going rate is 3 crowns per room, per night. Meals not included. How long will you, uh, folk be staying at my establishment?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-19 at 11:18 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

"Three crowns? My, my, but your establishment most be of top order. Do you have any two bed rooms?" And with that, she turns around and winks at Cynath. "I'll pay, though of course it's not up to me to speak for others. I hope you at least deliver food to the room? But, as I was saying, we're looking for some information. Where would one go to get them, hm? And what is it about this curfew you were speaking about?"
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

The elf does not even bat an eye, instead merely following the conversation absent-mindedly and rummaging his haversack for an item he will propably be needing soon. Three crowns for poor excuse of a room this kind of place is propably able to offer is highway robbery, but killing the man right on the spot would attract too much attention. Perhaps, he thinks, robbing the arrogant human blind before leaving fits his purposes better and can still serve as a lesson to him.
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2010-12-19 at 11:33 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Leaning against the tavern's outside wall Donovan debated how he felt like showing his face so to speak. Under an all encompassing black cloak and a blank face mask nothing of his features could be seen, he rolled a simple silver band round in his hand; its warmth a stark contrast to the cold and the rain inches from his perch. Who was he to be today.

Smiling to himself he removed the mask, blond stands of hair dangling from his hood as he placed the object into his backpack, resting on the floor. Its cavernous depth devouring the small object. A brief flicker of the torch outside in the wind illuminated a smooth and pale face before he made his decision and re-donned the ring his form shifting and flowing in an instant. Where the cloaked figure had stood now stood a man in fine looking dark clothes, hair a red to match his companions loose cut around a face best described as cute. Green eyes sparkled with warmth as he walked in.

"Debating pay for the man sis'?" He asked Synia "Well I'll leave you to the whole money thing and in the meantime why don't we all have a drink?"
    Last edited by Eiko; 2010-12-19 at 11:40 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

From the shadows of an alcove a feminine figure approaches. She is tall and fair, thin wisps of blond locks emerging from a grey hood. Although you cannot see much of her, the full almond eyes and slanted cheeks would suggest that she is an elf. "Come now, sir, I will pay for these poor travelers." Her voice is melodious, but you can hear a sense of urgency beneath. As the bartender motions for a couple of his boys to gather your belongings from outside, the elven woman begins to walk up the stairs, and beckons for the six of you to follow.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-19 at 12:18 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

"It would appear drinking will be postponed until further notice Donovan. Do remind me though. I would love to have a word with you and a couple of pints wouldn't hurt as well." With that, Synia follows the elven woman upstairs.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Following the conversation with at least some interest, Cynath narrows his eyes slightly at the woman who so unexpectedly decides to pay for their lodgings. While never above accepting good night's sleep at someone else's expense, he is still quite suspicious... As he is in almost any given situation. Just what does this woman want?

Leaving his place near the door, he follows Synia up the stairs, keeping his hand close to the handle of the barbed dagger mercifully concealed by his black cloak. If he gets as much as sniff of trechery, it is stabbing time followed by hasty escape. But maybe this can even turn out to be useful turn of events.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The elf drags you into one of the rooms off of the second floor hallway. It is well furnished, with a pair of large beds, a table, and a dressing cabinet in the corner. She sits down on the edge of one of the beds, examining each one of you, her eyes at last resting on Cynath. "Well, isn't that interesting. The traitor himself, come to show his face in Solstice yet again. I thought we banished you?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-19 at 01:25 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Wrapping his hand slowly around the handle of his dagger, Cynath looks emotionlessly back at her. "Leona. How nice to see you again" he says in very frosty tone, the words soft as whisper of blade being drawn from it's sheath and cold as death's embrace itself. "Technically, you didn't do anything. Not that you could have kept me from the city even if you tried, but after I had taken care of everyone that were worth the effort I could not have cared less about you or the rest of the Guild... And still don't".

He moves his cloak aside, showing his now drawn dagger, the quietly crackling purple blade held in reverse grip, ready to strike. "So here are the facts. Do not get in the way of me or my companions and I will not need to focus my attention to you and the others again. Do get in my way and I am going to finish the job and kill every last member of the Guild dead... And you know that I can. So what will it be?"
    Last edited by Grim ranger; 2010-12-19 at 01:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Holding up her hands in surrender, Leona flashes you a grimace. "Actually, the fact that you are a part of this group holds no significance to me or the Guild whatsoever. I just overheard you talking with that moron of a barkeep about getting in to the city, and I thought I might like to lend a hand." She is interrupted by a crash of thunder from outside, shaking the window panes. "You know, as well as I do, that the damn Knights-Militant check everyone entering the city, and that there is no chance you are getting in through the front gate. There is another way into the city, however."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-20 at 08:54 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Not sheathing his weapon as of yet, he merely watches Leona cautiously, still very much ready to sink the blade of the knife into her throat from slightest provocation. "And why, pray tell, would Nightsong Guild aid me in entering Solstice? No guild just forgets the death of it's guildmaster and good number of members and offers unconditional aid for travelers, expecially not your guild. So the questions are: what do you want and why should I trust you enough to listen to further proposals instead of opening your throat and leaving you for dead?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

She merely gives you a look of indignation and exclaims, "Cease your prattling. I will answer your questions in due time. As for trust, I expect nothing of you, but I suspect that you would believe me over, say, the regiment of guards that just arrived downstairs?" As she stops to speak, the cacophony of dishes shattering and the shouts of patrons from the floor below seem to confirm her claim. Turning back to you, she says, "The choice is yours. I would hear from the rest of your companions, though. What say you to my proposal?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-19 at 01:30 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, this is certainly an interesting turn of events. What else will we learn today? Making a mental note of everything that has been said, Synia once speaks up. "If you can really get us into the city and help us escape what at the moment seems like a very bleak situation, I am all for going with you."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"That's good enough for me. The guards are probably interrogating the barkeep now, they will be here any minute. I recommend we leave now, if we get into a fight then by tomorrow your faces will be all over the city, and I am sure you would not want that. This way." Leona leads you over to the full wall cabinet, and pushes it aside. Ushering you into the secret passage behind, she pushes the piece of furniture back into position, leaving you in the dark.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Not even bothering to respond as it is painfully clear he does not actually want to pick a fight with whole regiment of guards, the rogue merely re-sheathes his dagger and enters the secret passage as it is revealed. "I guess I will have to trust you for a second..." he mutters to himself and closes his eyes as they enter the dark passage to make his eyes adjust quicker to the sudden change in lightining conditions.

But just how did those guards arrive just at the nick of time when they don't even have any plausible reason to search for group such as this? He pondered silently to himself.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

At the promise of later drinking Donovan grins, almost ferally. A word would be lovely, if that was what she was implying. If not, someone would, after all he was flexible. As the elf showed up and traded threats with his companion he simply smiled, he'd have it sorted or have his throat slit. If things went wrong it certainly couldn't be his fault so why do anything but watch with interest.

At the mention of guards however his smile soured, "Getting caught by the watch would be annoying, we'd have to spend forever getting the blood out, from their uniforms or our own. I'm not in the mood to dance, so why dont we move along." He turned to their elf informant "What's this passage then miss... Leona?"

"Since I assume leaving those of us less able to hide themselves to the guard's tender care isn't an option."
    Last edited by Eiko; 2010-12-19 at 02:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Looks like you need some light." In his hand a fire crackles to life taking the form of a longsword. The illumination throws back the shadows.

Standard action: Burning Edge, Taking 10
    10+20(Bending skill) =30
    30 -10(DC) =20 Augment points
    20 Augment points -20 (+20Reach) =0

effect: Longsword with 25Reach.
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

"I certainly hope it won't come to that. I have no wish of knowing the inside of the city prison. So, for now, I say we listen what our savior has to say and see where she leads us. It almost certainly can't be any worse than what the guys downstairs have in mind for us."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Now now now, do we really need to be so brash and obvious, this is a secret passage" With that he slipped the ring off, his usual black cloaked self taking over from where the redhead had stood, he mentally began counting to ten in his head. "Once again it seems our delightful companion of the fairer sex has the right idea,"

On the count of ten he replaces the ring on his finger, blonde hair fading to purest white, skin fading into an ashen gray as his features softened. As Donovan next spoke it was in far more delicate, if more harsh tones; the drow woman now standing in his place's in his opinion far more suited to his new environment. "In doubt any of us care to be at the mercy of another, particularly those as pointless as the guard."
    Last edited by Eiko; 2010-12-19 at 02:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

From behind you, Leona mutters, "Pointless... my my, what a novel euphemism." Maneuvering her way into the front of the group, she shows the way down. From the noise around you it seems that the passage travels between the walls of the inn, and down underground. Lighting a torch for herself, she begins to walk down the passage.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-19 at 03:13 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mordrent had been silent up until now. What was there to say anyway? If the group was not telling him to start slaughtering then it was best to remain silent anyway.

As the Secret Passage is revealed Mordrent moves to enter, with a thought the shield on his back moves out to within one foot of his back, with a hand on his sword he enters the tunnel.

"Subtlety is not my forte, but if you wish it so, than it shall be."
    All Hail Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.
    New Sexy Mordrent Avatar via Tiffany Lirle! I bow down to her sense of fun.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

After several minutes of walking downward, the passage levels out, widening into a well built stone corridor. Leona waits for you to descend, then begins to usher you along. "This passage continues for another mile and a half, until it joins with the sewers. From there you can get into the city. I will travel with you until then." Her voice seems to echo in the emptiness.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-19 at 06:00 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tossing back her hood Donovan stepped in front of their elven guide and stared her down; her current form an ashen mirror of the woman in front of her. "Why are you helping us, its awful convenient that the guards showed up on a random bunch of travellers and that you should have a passageway. My friend here means something to you or do you have some deeper reason for helping us?"

((rolling sense motive on however she responds))
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+13)[17]

27. - Top - End - #27

Mordrent's eyebrow rises underneath his helm.

This is well built for an underground passage into a city that only a rogues guild uses. Did your people build this? Or find it?

Imperceptibly, Mordrent's grip tightens on his blade. A wider passage means an easier ambush.
    All Hail Fun!
    No... no... its... its supposed to be 'then'... NO. DENOMAR OUT. YOU HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

"Very well. I can see that you are as impatient as Cynath used to be." Her facial expression, at once unnerved and amused, seems to flicker between Mordrent and Donovan. "I can answer your seeming myriad questions now, if you wish."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-19 at 10:25 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

29. - Top - End - #29

"Indeed". Says Mordrent.

Mordrent is actually quite glad for this 'light conversation' thing. Supposedly it puts people at ease with his unholy presence.

....of course its never worked in the past seeing as he generally killed whomever he was talking to moments afterwords.

'practice makes perfect' he thinks to himself.
    All Hail Fun!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Turning to face all of you at last, Leona brings down her grey hood, and begins to speak in a soft, yet harsh undertone. "Firstly, the guards did not, as you put it, show up on a bunch of random travelers. They came for your group. The Knights-Militant, along with their new dog in command of the City Watch, were tipped off anonymously three days ago to the imminent arrival of a mass of evil cultists, or some such. Naturally, we heard of the affair, and so here I am, hiding you away like naughty children. I had no idea that Cynath was to be a part of your group, and in the end it does not matter. It is of vital importance to the Guild that you enter the city unhindered. As for the secret passage, it was merely a matter of probability and odds. With the new curfew in place, no one can leave or enter the city during the night, so the only places to stay were the four inns outside of Solstice. Every single one of those establishments has a secret passage into the city, and every single barkeep is in our pay. We are the Nightsong Guild, and we do not leave things to chance." Her tirade seemingly over for the time being, she continues down the corridor in silence.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2010-12-19 at 11:23 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.