New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Post-Apocaltypic setting : Any Interest?

I was thinking about creating a post-apocalyptic, free form role playing setting. My ideas are a tad sketchy, what I was thinking for the back story and such is that its set in a large, blown up metropolis that was once the capital of a large, ever expanding empire. The setting would allow for people to stake their claims and start whatever they wanted, from homes to inns to an attempt at civilized society.
    avvie by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Post-Apocaltypic setting : Any Interest?

I can't speak for others, but I'd need more than that to say if I'm interested.
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in, but we'd need to flesh out the plawt.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in, as long as I can play an arrogant guy who has power armor
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmmm.... I want to play a zombie. But it really depends on the plot. What exactly was the apocalypse (assuming there was only one). Did zombies/aliens/a virus kill everyone? Nuclear war? Global warming? Or my personal favorite, all of the above.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was thinking of fleshing out the plot with suggestions and such of the players (I.E. Free form it some) That sounds good though. My thought that there was a large civil war/rebellion/uprising thing that made a huge battle and blew the place the hell up. And as for power armor; I was thinking the setting before the apocalypse to be semi-futuristic, so that'd probably be usable. For instance, everyone in the army of the post-empire could have been issued power armor and your character could be a vet or gotten surplus (but thats just a random idea)
    avvie by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think it would be pretty cool if every possible apocalypse had happened, short of the earth being destroyed. That way, there can be all sorts of characters, instead of just zombies and survivors for a zombiepocalypse, mutants for a nukepocalypse, ect.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

sure! it'll make the setting more diverse.

Edit: I was thinking of drawing up a map of the old capital/main city where it'd take place, would that be cool? if you guys have any inclusions that'd be good too.
    Last edited by Chas the mage; 2010-12-25 at 01:21 AM.
    avvie by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I made some stuff, tell me if you like:

Spoiler
    Show

Using the standard [Location Tags] system, heres a basic overview of the map locations:

[Imperial Palace]

This is the large, walled fortification with which the Emporor Richard Bedrydant used to rule, until the Empire Began to decline and he disappeared. There are large turrets on each corner, and a couple above the door as well, and a moat between the city streets and the walls of the palace, as well as a barbed wire fence. Former Imperial soldiers still roam the battlements and have some sembelance of order inside, aside from the labratories in the vast complex of the palace below ground.

[Imperial Arena]

The Imperial Arena used to be the site of ferocious fights between slaves, prisoners, wild animals, beasts, and soldiers; as well as an area for soccer and cricket, as well as rugby. Some Challenges of fighting ability still take place there.

[Sharpsburgh]

Sharpsburgh is a very low class residential district, with little imperial influence and a small problem with homeless roaming the streets. Life in Sharpsburgh is not to terribly different from what it used to be, with an exponentially increasing cInrime rate.

[Industrial District]

In the Industrial district are large factories with towering smoke stacks, were theres lots of smog in the air and sut seems to be floating around nearly everywhere in the streets, and litter piles up in the streets. Peasents used to be the ones working here, but since the fall of the Empire they've broken free of their labor. Right now it has a zombie infestation.

[Slums/Ghettos]

The Ghettos are the only area in the city the Peasents and Serf classes of the Empire were alowed to take residence in, and the only place they could be within the walls aside from the Industrial District where they worked their lives away. The Ghettos has a 20 feet tall cement wall, with barbed wire at the top and is covered with Imperial Propaganda, as well as graffiti. The Ghetto is by far the lowest class district in the city, it was patroled constantly by Military Police, but still has an exponentially increasing crime rate and the same applies for drug use. Over time, gangs have formed as well as groups of Rebellion against the former Empire; and organized crime syndicates. It also has vast homelessness. It also has zombie and rodent infestations, as well as some mutations.

[International District]

The International district is very diverse, citizens from all the provinces of the former Empire call it home. One used to be able to get Elven crafted swords, Dwarven firearms, orcish axes, and chinese food all in that district. Even after the apocalypse, the area is rather peaceful.it also has a large section of underground street and markets, where dwarven products and similar things can be found.

[Imperial District]

The Imperial District is the high-class living area in the city with only noblemen and gentry aloud to purchase housing. Many rich nobles live rather undisturbed in this area, fortified with their own personal security forces and provided for by butlers and servants. The streets are clean and well maintained.

[Sharpsburgh]

This is a low class living area, where there are poor people but not anyone qualified to be the peasant class in the old empire, but the majority of them work in the Industrial district as well. the crime rate is rather high, but has generally stopped increasing. It is home to organized crime, some by the same groups that operate in the ghetto. At the moment it has a minor zombie infestation.

[Financial District]

The Financial district is home to many shops and businesses, as well as the former Imperial Stock Market. It lies right next to the Imperial Palace.

[Ravenna]

Ravenna is a lower-middle class neighbourhood, with a large amount of apartment complexes, but is generally more tame (as far as crime goes) than any of the other districts of the same class. Ravenna is also home to a large group of Rebels against the former Empire, but have now taken to trying to establish their own communistic rule.

[Northwood]

Northwood is another lower-middle class neighbourhood but with significantly more crime rate and its own crime-syndicates. it also has the Communist Rebels from Ravenna attempting to occupy it. The majority of its populace works/worked at the docks or the Northwood Power Plant. It is home to many artists, musicians, and creatives.

[Docks District]

The Docks District is a rather large district, and the majority of everyone there is a fisherman, or related to the fishing or sea trade businesses. At the moment it is home to some piracy, and people just trying to fish for a living.

[Northwood Military Base]

The Northwood Military Base is home to the former Imperial Military, and they still have a presence there. There is rumors that a system of underground tunnels exists, connecting the palace and the base. What is inside is mostly unknown by civilians.

[Northwood power plant]

It lies just outside the city limits and has several methods of generating power, including nuclear. Right now it is abandoned, but its equipment still lies in tact. There are some mutants roaming the premises.

[The North Woods]

This is a large woodland to the north of the City.

[St. Richard's Bridge]

St. Richard is what they refer to the former emperor as. The bridge is very large and very tall, and it the only way above ground to get across the river. it has large statues of Kings on each side.

[Camalann river]

Camalann river cuts through the middle of the city, and has canyons on both sides of it.

[The Grand Cathederal]

The Grand cathedral is one of the highest structures in the city; towering above the skyline, and in honor of the former emperor Richard. The local religion at the time of the empire was to worship him as a god. Whether he actually was or not is completely different. it is considered a ceasefire zone to all factions, except for the occasional violation from the southward pushing communists.

[Coastview]

The Coastview Neighborhood is a Middle-class district, with a rather low crime level and is rather peaceful. it has several beach parks which have rather large tourism.

[Imperial Prison]

The Imperial Prison is still occupied by Military Police and inmates alike. it is the highest security prison around with large walls, mine fields, turrets, and a variety of other defenses.

[Cathedral District]

The cathedral district is home to small businesses, as well as some condominiums and apartment complexes.

[Business District]

The Business District has the Camalann mall, and the majority of the city's high rises, shops, and businesses (hence the name). It is also home to several laboratories operated by the former Empire, thus spawning many zombies, mutants, and diseases.

[Camalann International Airport]

This used to be the largest transportation network in the Empire, with planes that go above the speed of sound and have the most luxury available. it is now largely abandoned and unused.

[Imperial university]

The Imperial University is composed of several large high-rises connected by tunnels and bridges and such, and is the largest source of knowledge in the empire, as well as one of its most prestigious schools. it is also home to the Great Imperial Library, one of the largest in the Empire. it has dormitories which still have use and is peaceful, filled with people still perusing knowledge.

[U-district]

The U-district is filled with apartments and cheap rental houses as well as restaurants, to profit off the people staying at the university. The residents are generally musical, creative, stoners, or hipsters.

[RockRidge]

This is an upper-middle class neighborhood, home to university professors, and people who work in the financial and business districts. It is called rock ridge due to the cliff at the edge of the camalann River, and the famous view of north Camalann.

[The Old Battlefield]

The Old Battlefield was home to the battle between the Imperial Army and the original Communist Uprising, with men, women, and children fighting for their lives on either side. The death toll was in the millions and it lasted for days. The field is filled with landmines and live explosives, and the ground is stained blood red and there are literally mountains of dead bodies, old military equpment, as well as artillery crators and scorched earth.

[The Wall]

The City Walls are covered in Graffiti, and stand about 75 ft. tall, with turrets on top. The walls are around 15 feet thick.

[The Underground]

There is an underground street network, with shops and housing all underground. However, now it is partially bombed out. In some area is connects with the Sewers and the Subway tunnels.

[Public transportation]

There is subway tunnels, monorail tracks, train tracks, and bus routes/stops in just about every district.

avvie by Sneak