New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Misfits

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Misfits

right.. I seem to be unable to find a thread dedicated to this..not sure what to call it really.. dramedy on steroids?
    I saw the first series when I was living in the uk, and watched the second series today in a sort of weird syncopated marathon.
    I must say there have been moments that annoyed me, moments I totally called, and moments where I just had to grin.

even so, I'm ambivalent on the show.. part of me is wondering why I got hooked on it, the rest of me is wondering when the new series will air.
    anybody seen it?
    also, who's got who's powers now?..I'm guessing one is kinda staring us in the face..but the rest?
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Misfits

Yeah it's a pretty good show. Initially I wasn't sure why I kept watching since I disliked most of the main cast. But I kept past the first few episodes and am glad I did, there were some amazing bits.

The show is clever, amusingly dark, and incredibly crude. The second season gave two great villains and while the cliffhanger was a bit annoying I was not so drawn to the show that I had to know what happened so there was no real loss.

So yeah, I definitely enjoy and recommend it.

Also, anyone else lose their breath cracking up at the "alien baby" bit?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, it's a good show.

One thing that bothered me, though, is that the episode with the lactokinesis-dude was kind of pointless, considering the resolution.

Spoiler
    Show
    And all the character growth we saw during that episode was negated. Which is just annoying.

And there's another thing that I don't get—Alisha told Simon that he would become Superhoodie, then Curtis rewound time. And then suddenly, in the next episode, Simon knows that will become Superhoodie somehow. So either there's a mistake, or we're assuming Alisha told him off-screen at some point, which is kind of a cop-out given that it's a pretty important revelation.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I really like this show, but the one gripe I have is Nathan stopped being an actual character sometime in the second season and just became a fan service/caricature of his first season self. It's a shame but it happens all too often with fan favorites.
    87% of all statistics are made up. If your one of the 38% who know that copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #5

I very much enjoyed the show, and think of every episode that they are brilliant, except the Christmas episode. It makes me fearful of the next season

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

smile Re: Misfits

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Yeah, it's a good show.

One thing that bothered me, though, is that the episode with the lactokinesis-dude was kind of pointless, considering the resolution.

Spoiler
    Show
    And all the character growth we saw during that episode was negated. Which is just annoying.

And there's another thing that I don't get—Alisha told Simon that he would become Superhoodie, then Curtis rewound time. And then suddenly, in the next episode, Simon knows that will become Superhoodie somehow. So either there's a mistake, or we're assuming Alisha told him off-screen at some point, which is kind of a cop-out given that it's a pretty important revelation.
    yeah..that

also, how DID that episode actually end?
    Spoiler
    Show

did they go and kill the calcium kid? did they punch the skills outa him? seriously..wuh? isn't it kinda important to know if they killed yet someone else, and this one apparently in cold blood? I'm assuming they didn't..but if so, what's to stop history repeating itself? (and let's not get into a debate about circular time and butterflies and such...I'm saying, what's to stop lactose dude from recovering from the beating and then still do his milkshake thing?)

as for the "revelation"..yes, it's an important one, but one that would have to be re-shot almost identically..and we've seen it already, plus it doesn't seem to alter the plot significantly, so it kinda makes sense not to repeat it on screen

as for cracking up..I hade more of a laugh with nathan's comment on the passing of
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bruno
    Last edited by dehro; 2011-03-03 at 03:16 AM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Misfits is an enigma to me. There is no reason the show should function with that cast of characters and that premise...

BUT IT DOES.

I disagree that Nathan became fanservice... in fact, especially in the episode dealing with his brother, he became less fanservicey and actually became an interesting character to me. The whole first season I wanted to kick Nathan in the baby because he seemed so fake. He was the center of all the gratuitous, crude humor. It took his heroism in the season finale for me to finally start to like him.

RE: Lactokinesis Dude / Continuity
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was being scorned by people because his power was lame that turned him into a villain. If they stop him from telling people about the powers, they stop his eventual heartache and his villainous behavior. Maybe.

As Nathan said (slightly censored), "It's not like any of this is backed up by a buttload of logic."

I think the assumption is that when Curtis rewinds time, he informs everyone of what happened, though having Simon know what Alisha told him did urk the hell out of me, too. It makes sense, though... she was going to tell him anyway, so whether or not she did it on screen the second time doesn't really matter.

Their romance in the first place is something I haven't quite gotten into yet.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it's a good show.

Spoiler
    Show

Your arguments are valid, but I admit that's one of my favorite episodes simply because of how seriously they portray a villain whose only power is milk control. That and I just enjoy classic music so the opening montage gave me a smile.

But yeah the Alisha/Simon thing was odd.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I actually liked it a lot while watching I was watching it, but the conclusion took a lot of the enjoyment out for me. It was a fun diversion, but British shows get so few episodes per season that having an episode more or less nothing actually happens is just kind of cruel.

Re: Nathan

I like how Nathan is actually just a jackass. In the first couple of episodes of the show I figured it would be revealed that his jackassery and jokes are just a defense mechanism he put in place to to mask his sensitive inner self and protect himself from getting hurt after he suffered some terrible childhood trauma.

But nope, he's just a jackass.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    Misfits is an enigma to me.
    There is no reason the show should function with that cast of characters and that premise...

BUT IT DOES.
    welcome to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    RE: Lactokinesis Dude / Continuity
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was being scorned by people because his power was lame that turned him into a villain. If they stop him from telling people about the powers, they stop his eventual heartache and his villainous behavior. Maybe.

As Nathan said (slightly censored), "It's not like any of this is backed up by a buttload of logic."
    true.. except...
    Spoiler
    Show
    they punch him in the face

mind you..that seems to be their default reaction to any problem, and so far it looks like it's working too..
    the whole time loop thing with superhoodie is slightly weird..but then, given how it has ended (so far)..I'm guessing that during the last transaction, Simon pinched Curtis' timetraveling power..which makes it all have a bit more sense..
    also..just how far can his jumping back be removed? it's not like he was in his mid 30's or anything, in his future hoodie persona. allowing for the whole romance (which I kinda liked btw) to blossom, the holiday in vegas to take place, his parkour skills to get up to scratch, I'm guessing a year or two, not much more.
    Last edited by dehro; 2011-03-03 at 09:57 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    true.. except...
    Spoiler
    Show
    they punch him in the face

mind you..that seems to be their default reaction to any problem, and so far it looks like it's working too..
    the whole time loop thing with superhoodie is slightly weird..but then, given how it has ended (so far)..I'm guessing that during the last transaction, Simon pinched Curtis' timetraveling power..which makes it all have a bit more sense..
    also..just how far can his jumping back be removed? it's not like he was in his mid 30's or anything, in his future hoodie persona. allowing for the whole romance (which I kinda liked btw) to blossom, the holiday in vegas to take place, his parkour skills to get up to scratch, I'm guessing a year or two, not much more.
    Impossible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Curtis time control powers are currently in the hands of an elderly Jewish man who wants to kill Hitler. Also, so far Curtis' power seems to simply make the guys conscience go back in time, not his body. So it still wouldn't make sense for Simon.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2011-03-03 at 10:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I didn't really get the ending either, but somehow it works I guess.

Re: Alisha and Simon

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't mind the romance between present Simon and Alisha, but am I the only one who found the romance between FutureSimon aka Superhoodie and Alisha to be kind of gross?

I mean, he told her that they should be together because they would be together in the future, which is a really unfair thing and blatantly manipulative thing to tell someone IMO. And he knew that Alisha and Curtis were together at the time, so that's a **** move as well.

Plus, there's the whole question of whether or not Simon and Alisha would have been together in the future at all if not for the intervention of FutureSimon. It's possible that he was lying to her about them being together, but that lie then became the truth when she believed it and subsequently had sex with him.

Either way, I still think it's gross.
    Last edited by Sneak; 2011-03-03 at 10:31 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

.Re: Nathan

I like how Nathan is actually just a jackass. In the first couple of episodes of the show I figured it would be revealed that his jackassery and jokes are just a defense mechanism he put in place to to mask his sensitive inner self and protect himself from getting hurt after he suffered some terrible childhood trauma.

But nope, he's just a jackass.
    Pretty sure he's more of a "sociopath".
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

14. - Top - End - #14

I read the next somewere else.

Spoiler
    Show

But Superhoodie was the future of a Simon that no longer exists, because Curtis rewinded time.

Superhoodie came from a future were Alisha gave an interview after they became know as the "ASBO 5", He brought the tape with him to the past.

But apparently because of Superhoodie interference Simon got brave enough to sacrifice himself in front of Curtis, so he would rewind time.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

ha..yes, I was just about to post about the incongruence of Alisha
    Spoiler
    Show
    seeing an interview that ...never happened

and yeah..I'd forgotten about what happened to Curtis' power
    Show