New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony: Because Friendship Is Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    They already have that, minus the cutie mark. She's called Rainbow Dash. ;p
    <--Quoted for truth.

I'm currently making a MLP one-shot for 3.5, any ideas for what should go in that?
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Axinian View Post
    <--Quoted for truth.

I'm currently making a MLP one-shot for 3.5, any ideas for what should go in that?
    ...I'm going to stop looking for a good image to cap now. ._. Your avatar says everything I was going to say.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu the Masked LLama View Post
    Hehehehe. Well, whenever Equestria is plunged into eternal darkness, I promise i will be the first person sporting a Shadowbolts llamatar, but until they can get their acts together, its Wonderbolts all the way!
    But... But... Everything about them is cooler!

Just check out their goggles/colours and tell me they're not >>> Wonderbolts! :P

On a side note, I'm lagging behind with my ultra-bitter Just Bugs Me reviews, so here's:

Not that it matters, as no one likes them :P

JBM, part five: Applebucked, part one.

Or why Apples might be likable.

One note here, I watched it with transcripts, which was painful as I had to stop every 30 seconds or lose the sight of the anmation.

On the upside, I caught 63.7% references more. Roughly speaking. And, if someone were to make two missing transcripts or cultural reference guide, not only for me but for GM, it would be ace :P

1x04 - Applebuck Season:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I'll be short there. Had I saw this episode first, maybe I'd have a different image of Applejack. I saw it second last, though, and the comments about 'fancy match' and her general behaviour still put me off.

So, what we learn here? She is athletic, stron pony, who is pretty reliable... Except not, because being reliable doesn't actually include fitting your strength to the task. I could understand overestimating yourself a little, or even a bit, but trying to do the job of 20 ponies and utterly failing isn't reliable. At all.

You know, I often said thing about 'ruining stuff' of others in other reviews, but in this one, it somehow crossed to border of comedy and actually become serious. Doing bodily harm to others because you can't think? Scaring little bunnies into stampede? And she lives on farm? Poisoning others? Sorry, halfway i was cringing, not laughing - ok, I know, I'm too serious :P

At least AJ staring into the Cup while showing her behind to others was one funny moment.

Twilight saying things about 'respecting your values' was unintentionally unfunny, though.

And, I was wondering, why Twilight was bothering with calling others to help, if she was that capable, but I guess they're like D&D party with Wizard (Twilight), Beguiler (Rarity), two Rogues (RD & FS) and pair of commoners (the rest) - and they simply can't outshine them too much, as it would be bad for business

Overall, I understand AJ a bit more, but from this, to liking her... She still has a long way to go.

1x05 - Griffon the Brush-Off:

Spoiler
    Show
    Sigh... A very sad episode. What struck me just how similar Gilda and Pinkie are - both have no real friends, judging by how easily Pinkie agreed to Rainbow's proposition, and how hurt she was when the griffon came - only one is trying to mask is by hyperactivity and laughter, the other by 'coolness' and acting mighty.

So, first thing that bugged me - pranks. When I started viewing this, I thought it was supposed to be just another slapstick comedy, but in progress, I just couldn't stop wondering how unfunny and risky these were. The girls seem to recognize that, since Pinkie aborted the prank on Fluttershy, but besides that, it is never addressed. A pity. I couldn't stop to wonder if my reaction would be laughter in most of cases.

I'm glad it's the episode I've seen last, as Rainbow acted incredibly out of character here and my opinion about her might have been radically different had I seen it fifth. Now, I can pretend Rainbow-as-Pinkie stuff never happened, thank Pony.

Second, just how uncool Twilight were. Dammit, Twilight, it's yet another case when your advice would have been right in 95% of the cases, why you need to apologize for being helpful?!

Third, I couldn't wonder at the end, was Pinkie that different from Gilda? I know the show seem to suggest otherwise, but I couldn't stop thinking just how similar that 'that dribble cup had Rainbow Dash written all over it' (which was extra face-rubbing) and goading Gilda into most of the traps (to trigger negative outburst) was to rudeness we were supposed to shun, the only difference was extreme craftiness and subtlety with which it was done.

No, I don't think I want to keep the image of Pinkie using her skills to push away other friends of Rainbow from "her" pony.

Sigh, I suppose, had Pinkie not been the protagonist, had it been in real life I'd suspect her being worse of the pair.

What was that stuff with Celestia's ink at the end, again?
    Above Us Only Sky

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Third, I couldn't wonder at the end, was Pinkie that different from Gilda? I know the show seem to suggest otherwise, but I couldn't stop thinking just how similar that 'that dribble cup had Rainbow Dash written all over it' (which was extra face-rubbing) and goading Gilda into most of the traps (to trigger negative outburst) was to rudeness we were supposed to shun, the only difference was extreme craftiness and subtlety with which it was done.

No, I don't think I want to keep the image of Pinkie using her skills to push away other friends of Rainbow from "her" pony.

Sigh, I suppose, had Pinkie not been the protagonist, had it been in real life I'd suspect her being worse of the pair.

Except that, as far as I can figure, she actually was being entirely sincere in her party-throwing, and legitimately didn't intend for Gilda to get most of those pranks, or to be so negative. She says so, and given how completely un-subtle she was in "The Ticket Master," I'm inclined to believe her. I think the point of that sequence was that Gilda's own negativity and cruelty ended up projected on other people, and eventually just...came out.

No, that episode is disturbing for another, completely different reason: Pinkie Pie, it seems, does not comprehend that there are solutions to problems that don't involve parties or song-and-dance numbers. This is literally her answer to all things, done in full sincerity that streamers fix everything. Don't like a person? Party! Don't like those trees? Musical number! Terrible plague of all-consuming monsters? One-Man Band! The fact that these things work is either the result of luck or an endlessly positive attitude, depending on your pessimism level.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-02-27 at 08:11 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Except that, as far as I can figure, she actually was being entirely sincere in her party-throwing, and legitimately didn't intend for Gilda to get most of those pranks, or to be so negative. She says so, and given how completely un-subtle she was in "The Ticket Master," I'm inclined to believe her. I think the point of that sequence was that Gilda's own negativity and cruelty ended up projected on other people, and eventually just...came out.

No, that episode is disturbing for another, completely different reason: Pinkie Pie, it seems, does not comprehend that there are solutions to problems that don't involve parties or song-and-dance numbers. This is literally her answer to all things, done in full sincerity that streamers fix everything.
    You might want to spoiler this. Just saying

Spoiler
    Show
    So... Yeah, I got that vibe - I initially wanted to write she was devious enough to do that, but the last 5 minutes changed my mind. Still... She rubbed her nose in it a bit too much to be so innocent.

I'm actually conflicted, is Pinkie 3D character, that can be incredibly cunning and vindictive at times, or just a simple, poor 2D pony that likes parties since only at them she got to interact with others, normally being shunned as Rainbow Dash did to her in the beginning?

Eh, I can't feel but feel sorry for Gilda, yes, she is rude, bad, even, but I don't think she deserved being pushed away from her best friend by either pure chance and/or Pinkie's revenge. That will only make her more bitter in the end.

But, I guess I know how it feels to lose a good friend to a feather-brained xxxxx with more street-wise way of talking.
    Last edited by Irbis; 2011-02-27 at 08:18 PM.
    Above Us Only Sky

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    But Pinkie had nothing to do with the party pranks. It was Rainbow Dash who set them all up.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DCGFTW View Post
    So I have five episodes to convince my roommates that this is the best show ever. My initial thoughts were the Pilot (which would count as two), Bridle Gossip, Winter Wrap-up, and Call of the Cutie. Thoughts?
    You absolutely must put Sonic Rainboom in there somewhere. Not first, obviously. Once Fluttershy's meekness has already been established for maximum effect. But Rainbow Dash's crowning moment of awesome is one of the coolest things in the show.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    No, that episode is disturbing for another, completely different reason: Pinkie Pie, it seems, does not comprehend that there are solutions to problems that don't involve parties or song-and-dance numbers. This is literally her answer to all things, done in full sincerity that streamers fix everything. Don't like a person? Party! Don't like those trees? Musical number! Terrible plague of all-consuming monsters? One-Man Band! The fact that these things work is either the result of luck or an endlessly positive attitude, depending on your pessimism level.
    They work because they live in a universe where friendship is literally magic. Pinkie isn't just throwing parties, she's creating a concentrated nexus of power. She's a lot more powerful than she looks.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Entertainer13 View Post
    1. Friendship is Magic - Part 1
    2. Friendship is Magic - Part 3
    3. Griffon the Brush-Off
    4. Bridle Gossip
    5. Winter Wrap-Up or Suited for Success
    Hmm. What I'd do, from my perspective of a bitter cynic? Well, I'd make my list based on what episodes I wouldn't show to anyone new:

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic 1x01 - Friendship is Magic, Part 1
    My Little Pony Friendship is Magic 1x02 - Friendship is Magic, Part 2
    My Little Pony Friendship is Magic 1x07 - Dragonshy
    My Little Pony Friendship is Magic 1x09 - Bridle Gossip
    My Little Pony Friendship is Magic 1x10 - Swarm of the Century

Ok, actually, only five episodes remained, so you might as well run with it :P

Maybe swap Swarm for the Rainboom or Pinkie Keen, but that's it.
    Above Us Only Sky

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Welcome to the playground. Almost nothing is deleted on sight and trolls are quickly defenestrated. So long as the pony lovers keep their excitement to an appropriate number of threads, all those threads get to exist. Even if they started making tons of threads everywhere, the threads would be merged and the offending people banned rather than the threads deleted.

I, for one, find it appropriate that one of the best threads on My Little Pony is in the Playground. Now back to my anthropology experiment of lurking in the pony thread.
    Sorry, I hang out at Something Awful, and that thread was deleted, solely because the mods were tired of, well, moderating it, because of all the trolls.
    Rarity's number one admirer!
    Click on the dragon eggs to help them hatch and grow, or get some for yourself!

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Entertainer13 View Post
    Sorry, I hang out at Something Awful, and that thread was deleted, solely because the mods were tired of, well, moderating it, because of all the trolls.
    I do not understand how that site can charge for access and then provide service like that. If I'm going to pay to post on the internet then surely I'd better get the best service possible, right?

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking as someone with an SA membership who was disappointed by the gassing, I can honestly understand the mods' response. The thread was an endless barrage of reports - there were various trolls reporting posts at random, and anyone who posted something on the negative side of ambivalent got reported dozens of times by the thread regulars. To make matters worse, the thread was getting hundreds, if not thousands of posts per day with only 2 dedicated moderators for the entire subforum. As well, something like half the posts in the thread was people talking about avatars rather than the actual show.

All the ponychat on SA has moved to a dedicated forum that's pretty active, so it all seems to have worked out for the best.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

Some speculation on Fluttershy's personality and history, given the most recent episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fluttershy's ability to use The Stare is clearly a powerful thing, and possibly something that is morally questionable (possibly akin to Compulsion weaves from Wheel of Time). Other ponies know this - see Rarity's attitude in asking if Fluttershy used The Stare to get Opalesence to behave. I believe that Fluttershy's meekness/shyness directly relates to some incident in the past as a young filly that involved her developing Stare powers.

Fluttershy grew up with a normal, quite possibly outspoken personality. However, her Stare powers developed without any control, and an incident occurred resulting in a friend or family member being hurt. Other ponies grew fearful of Fluttershy and ostracised her. Afraid of injuring others, Fluttershy became more shy and found that she could supress the dangerous Stare powers as long as she maintained an introverted personality. Socially outcast and increasingly alone, she began to associate more frequently with small animals. This proved beneficial in that she learned that The Stare could be used for helpful purposes; and meek behaviour learned from associating with small, easily frightened creatures allowed her to develop control over her ability.

Though still socially awkward and constantly afraid of accidentally unleashing her Stare on other ponies, she was able to re-enter society where the full details of her prior Stare incidents were not fully known i.e. she moved to Ponyville and lives on the edge of the Everfree Forest. It's only when under extremely stressful situations does her prior personality emerge e.g. the dragon and the cockatrice. The incident with the chickens was probably a slip due to her feeling tired and stressed after dealing with the Cutie Crusaders all evening.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Banned

It's like pure, concentrated joy. Or mind control. Something like that.
    Yes.
    Something like that.
    Spoiler
    Show

couldn't crop; sorry

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
    Speaking as someone with an SA membership who was disappointed by the gassing, I can honestly understand the mods' response. The thread was an endless barrage of reports - there were various trolls reporting posts at random, and anyone who posted something on the negative side of ambivalent got reported dozens of times by the thread regulars. To make matters worse, the thread was getting hundreds, if not thousands of posts per day with only 2 dedicated moderators for the entire subforum. As well, something like half the posts in the thread was people talking about avatars rather than the actual show.

All the ponychat on SA has moved to a dedicated forum that's pretty active, so it all seems to have worked out for the best.
    That thread moved way to fast for me, personally. I'll stick to being a dedicated LP forum lurker. I get my poni fix from here, the Equestria Daily / Derpy Hooves sites and up until recently, the 4chons, until the mod/site at large came down with a fatal case of STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2011-02-27 at 10:09 PM.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

16. - Top - End - #1066

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Some speculation on Fluttershy's personality and history, given the most recent episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fluttershy's ability to use The Stare is clearly a powerful thing, and possibly something that is morally questionable (possibly akin to Compulsion weaves from Wheel of Time). Other ponies know this - see Rarity's attitude in asking if Fluttershy used The Stare to get Opalesence to behave. I believe that Fluttershy's meekness/shyness directly relates to some incident in the past as a young filly that involved her developing Stare powers.

Fluttershy grew up with a normal, quite possibly outspoken personality. However, her Stare powers developed without any control, and an incident occurred resulting in a friend or family member being hurt. Other ponies grew fearful of Fluttershy and ostracised her. Afraid of injuring others, Fluttershy became more shy and found that she could supress the dangerous Stare powers as long as she maintained an introverted personality. Socially outcast and increasingly alone, she began to associate more frequently with small animals. This proved beneficial in that she learned that The Stare could be used for helpful purposes; and meek behaviour learned from associating with small, easily frightened creatures allowed her to develop control over her ability.

Though still socially awkward and constantly afraid of accidentally unleashing her Stare on other ponies, she was able to re-enter society where the full details of her prior Stare incidents were not fully known i.e. she moved to Ponyville and lives on the edge of the Everfree Forest. It's only when under extremely stressful situations does her prior personality emerge e.g. the dragon and the cockatrice. The incident with the chickens was probably a slip due to her feeling tired and stressed after dealing with the Cutie Crusaders all evening.

That's amazing. Fluttershy in a world of cardboard. I have no words to adequately express the d'awww I'm feeling.

EDIT: I really find few things as tragic as having to hide who you really are.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-02-27 at 10:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post

That's amazing. Fluttershy in a world of cardboard. I have no words to adequately express the d'awww I'm feeling.

Agreed. I may need to do something with that idea, although first I need to finish the stories already being written. Which I am behind on (should have been done by now, but I'm not).

I feel prolific. If I could apply as much energy into normal writing as I've been into ponyfiction, I bet I could have a novel out by now. Go where the inspiration takes you, right?

18. - Top - End - #1068

Agreed. I may need to do something with that idea, although first I need to finish the stories already being written. Which I am behind on (should have been done by now, but I'm not).

I feel prolific. If I could apply as much energy into normal writing as I've been into ponyfiction, I bet I could have a novel out by now. Go where the inspiration takes you, right?
    Exactly - even if you've written something that can't be published commercially, the experience will make the next piece that much better. Currently scoping out my next full length project which, while not ponycentric, I feel has definitely been influenced for the better by this kind of pony-based analysis and speculation.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

I couldn't agree with you more, speaking as someone who knows.

Personally though, I don't think Fluttershy's really hiding who she is, she's just plain shy and doesn't really show it, as much as she wants to, she's just too nervous about what other ponies will think of her. So she retreats, and ... and just plays it safe, because she's sensitive and doesn't want to be hurt. And she doesn't get hurt because she associates more with the little critters of the town than the other ponies, but at the same time if the Nightmare Moon event hadn't happened, she ... she may still have no real friends, and ... *sob*

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Further speculation.

Spoiler
    Show
    On top of this, there was one pony in all of the village who was not affected by The Stare. However, she was thought of as such a strange pony that she herself was ostracized. But she didn't seem to mind, and this pony and Fluttershy became friends as they traveled to Ponyville.

She is Pinkie Pie - The one pony who knows no fear.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground

MOAR speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is actually why she didn't want to prank Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash just thought it was because Fluttershy is, well, shy and awkward, so a prank would actually be kind of cruel. And while that may have been a factor, Pinkie Pie actually remembered the Stare. She would be unaffected, but others might not. Worse, if it was released, Fluttershy wouldn't forgive herself for hurting others, especially ones she counted as friends.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks.

Even more speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The more I think on it, the more it seems to fit. It also makes Fluttershy's character development more profound - she's (re)learning to be assertive without bending others to her will. Every time she apologises for something that is in no way her fault, or asks permission (e.g. "...if that's okay with you?"), she's actually confirming that the pony's opinion is their own and she hasn't accidentally used her power on them. She associates more freely with animals because they are non-judgemental if she slips up - the exception is Angel, who is somehow immune to her power and is acting as her mentor in reintegration into normal pony society.

It also explains her friendship with ponies like Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie: they both have fairly easy-going personalities, and are more likely to forgive her for a slip-up (addition: or as speculated earlier, Pinkie is immune). Her friendship with Rarity was founded on a shared interest in fashion and design, and she accidentally let her secret be known. Hence Rarity's fearful reaction regarding Opal - she was afraid that Fluttershy is being tempted to use her powers for mundane affairs - and Fluttershy's reassurance that it was just that she's good at dealing with animals; much like an addict would reassure a friend that they haven't fallen off the wagon.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    This is the greatest thing mankind has ever produced.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Axinian View Post
    <--Quoted for truth.

Make sure the earth ponies get some nice bonuses to offset the magic/wings. Earth ponies are the best.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Troll in the Playground

Here's one for Bronies, old and new. I only remember the old series as far as my sister would watch it. <.<;
    As for a one-shot pony 3.5 campaign? Earth ponies should get stronger, hardier bodies than the other ponies. They're noticeably more apt at physical labor.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2011-02-28 at 01:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1077

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Here's one for Bronies, old and new. I only remember the old series as far as my sister would watch it. <.<;
    As for a one-shot pony 3.5 campaign? Earth ponies should get stronger, hardier bodies than the other ponies. They're noticeably more apt at physical labor.
    One thing that I noticed in that video: Seaponies. I wonder if they exist in this generation too...
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Earth ponies definitely have significantly higher Constitution scores than the other ponies. The obvious example is AppleJack, being a hard worker and excellent athlete; while Pinkie Pie is a sugar-powered non-stop party machine.

Hmmm... I wonder if the D20 Modern classes would work better than 3.5 for Pony RPG goodness?

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Troll in the Playground

If you ask Lix, she'll probably tell you Exalted would work best. ;p

Me? I'd say work with what you know best, since it'll be easier, and for a one-shot making it easy to understand for yourself is imperative for a DM.

Also, as if Rainbow Dash needed any more videos to portray her awesomeness...
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1080

Oooh! Something else. What didn't Dash react when Spike called her Rainbow Crash in the zebra episode? It seems like something that would irritate that particular old wound.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show