New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1552
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A Dream of Quiet (IC)

"Well, since we're agreed to go after the ship and steal or destroy it, it seems the only thing left is how we will reach a shadowland. I could get there fairly quickly, but my ride can't carry us all."
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Troll in the Playground

"...well, the question is, how stealthy will we need to be to reach the shadowland. Because securing rides for everyone I could do, I think, but the fastest ideas I have are not exactly the subtlest thing ever. Though maybe just moving at night until we're there could give us enough of a leg up there...".

"Also, milady, if I get a couple maps here would you mind pointing us the rough areas we have to reach, first for the shadowland we'll be using, and then from that shadowland to wherever the ship is being built? I'd like to run some numbers on how long it'll take to go and come back if nothing goes pear-shaped. Mostly for logistics and provisions and stuff. Somehow I don't think getting water and food in a shadowland is the epitome of healthiness for people without underworldly essence, just saying". And to memorize them and make a copy just in case.

(Frontdated to some time later, to start getting bits of preparation out of the way)

After everything is said and done, Drake is going to excuse himself and start moving, much as after today his body is asking for a respite. He has people to contact and plans to make.

First things first, however. He finds a discreet place and takes out the comm scarab. He has to tell Nazri about the plan - if they fail, a squad of Reckoners should still be sent to try to take down the ship before it's moved away. Drake actually feels moderately optimistic about their chances, in fact, so it probably won't be necessary... but he's not the type to leave stuff this size to chance.

"This is Drake. I have an... update to add to my last report. A pretty interesting one."

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Shadowlands are unnecessary for moving small numbers. You don't think I walked all the way from the Font, do you?"
    "However, if you're left without a Necromancer, that is where you'll have to go. It would be a long walk, but there will be lesser transports you can acquire."

Masque will point out the locations on the map. Northwest of Gem, in the Southern Flamepeaks about 300 miles distant, is Merciless. A shorter distance north of Merciless, perhaps 75 or a hundred miles, is the airshipyard. About 1000 miles to the west of Merciless is the nearest shadowland.

"Go ahead, Drake. Interesting is usually trouble, but your tone sounds like good news to me." As he speaks, Drake can hear the clamour of voices and the pulse of essence weaponry in the background, but Nazri sounds perfectly at ease.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground

"But you can get us into and out of the underworld without that problem? How many can you transport?"

Nodding at Drake's words, Wing's eyes widen, and he turns to Pyrus. "Might want to check out what thaumaturgy is available, especially if we're taking mortal troops along with us: every bit counts. I can probably get some sources, but I can't provide the cash. Which reminds me, Drake, we should talk about setting up other supply lines for the city. I might have an idea."
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, not walk, but you're, you know, a Deathknight. I figured you probably got a ghost steed or something stylish of that sort" Drake smiles slightly, with a bob of his hat. "Besides, even if we don't have to detour to a Shadowland, the yard seems to be almost 400 miles away anyway, so the walk is long either way".

At Wing's words, though, Drake raises an eyebrow, pleasantly surprised. He's a bit lacking in ideas on that front himself, so it's good to hear. "Oh? Nice. Alright, then, let's finish this war planning first, then let's get to that. If I'm going to risk likely death for a city I'd like it to not starve six months after, after all" he grins.

Drake hesitates a second, on hearing the ruckus.

"Uhhh... well, not exactly good or bad, but that's already an upgrade over months of only worsening news - but before that, sir, if you don't mind my asking - what the heck is happening back there?"
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-10-15 at 01:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1056

"The Black Art is most useful. I am seeing more and more why the Lion trusted so few of us with learning it. I can transport as many as can get through a small portal in fifteen or thirty seconds. "

Masque nods and sighs. "I did have such a conveyance, but I was unable to bring it with me intact when I ... departed Merciless."

"We are reclaiming a First Age ruin, Khryal, from a Wyld Zone. These mutants and fae are putting up a more interesting resistance than was anticipated, but it should all be over soon enough. Do tell me, what was going on there?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting. Drake's a tad squicked by the whole discipline, in the same way he'd always been a tad squicked about parasitology, but if it avails such ability to move in and out of his targets' Realm perhaps he should see if one of the few necromancers in the Bureau would be wiling to teach him. "So, I'm guessing we go to the Creation equivalent area of where the yard is in the Underworld and then we use Necromancy to get to the other side?"

"...I see. Well, after I last reported, we had two encounters with old acquaintances. The first was simply interesting. The second, you really have to know.

The first was with the Infernal, Laurel - or some of her clones, at least. Since she seems to have taken a liking to the Lunar in our party, he could speak with her for a while. Apparently - if she's saying the truth, of which I'm not entirely sure - whatever plans Team Yozi has for Gem also go against those of Team Lion, and she's been working against him as well. And she namedropped something interesting. "Saigoth Gates".
    " Drake makes a pause so that sinks in.

"Her theory is that, from extrapolating a few things according to the position of the Gates of Final Rest and such, there's a pretty good chance that the Saigoth Gates, whatever they are, are right around Gem. And that the "gate" the Lion is searching for is the very same. He got a map from her, I can send you a copy through box soon as you're back in Yu-Shan. Thing is, I know ****-all about what these Saigoth Gates are. Ring a bell for you, sir?"

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Troll in the Playground

"If no one has anything else, I will deploy my men to guard the townhouse and this...flock, whoever they are." Pyrus leaves to give his orders and to purchase supplies for the road, mostly food and portable water. He didn't imagine there was much of either in the Underworld, and something might happen to trap them there.

9. - Top - End - #1059

"Exactly." A brief look of concert goes over Masque's face as she thinks about it. It'll probably be fine.

"It does sound familiar. Saigoth was a island built back in the first age around a...well, a thing of some sort. We have circumstantial evidence that suggests it might have been here before Creation, but only the Primordials would know what it really was. Records are perfectly sure that it was in the west though. These gates might be the thing it was built around. Perhaps they move, or there's more than one of them, or history has confused the names."
    There's a pause between this and the next statements.
    "It's on record that the Gilmyne, a type of demon, revere them, these gates, and say that they separate the Universe from something else, and nothing much else on the subject. Among the primordials, Adrían was the one known in what predated Creation here. I am unsure as to whether that knowledge still exists, but any more answers are probably found in Hell or at the Gates themselves."

The flock will be suspicious, but with Raziel's brief assurance (should he choose to accept Pyrus's help and give it) will be enough; the soldiers will be appreciated and with only a little suspicion welcomed. Water for such a trip is expensive, but available. It will slow you a little to bring it, but it's much better than dying of thirst in the Thousand.

((And with that, the scene ends. Drascin, can you continue the conversation with Nazri in PMs? I don't believe it will reveal anything that will change Drake's immediate actions.))
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2012-10-21 at 11:43 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    "But you can get us into and out of the underworld without that problem? How many can you transport?"

Nodding at Drake's words, Wing's eyes widen, and he turns to Pyrus. "Might want to check out what thaumaturgy is available, especially if we're taking mortal troops along with us: every bit counts. I can probably get some sources, but I can't provide the cash. Which reminds me, Drake, we should talk about setting up other supply lines for the city. I might have an idea."
    "I do not think it would be a good idea to bring mortals, chances are they will only die."

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Agreed. They won't like it, but this is a job for demons.

What demons are going to be a bit more of a question...Hm, there's always the classic Erymanthus..."
    Last edited by Leliel; 2012-10-22 at 08:10 PM.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Titan in the Playground

Keeping the name in mind for future purchases, Wing sticks to a single purchase for the moment, obtaining a Seven Section Staff that should disrupt ghosts without issue.

Otherwise, he makes what preparations he can, getting food and water in addition to clothes appropriate for a long desert trek.

Spoiler
    Show
    If possible I'll take one Fine Ghost Cleaving Seven Section Staff, with the bonuses allotted to Accuracy and Damage.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #1063

[Part Two and a half, Scene Four - The Flamepeaks]

Our heroes stand assembled outside the town, all preparations made. The Despot has been warned of the situation. Pyrus's soldiers are adapting (well enough) to the oppressive desert city, and now stand guard over Raziel Kablah's cultists, who have been prepared for their leader's departure (and are finding more and more prospective members seeking direction in chaotic times. Any few Demons Raziel wished to call up stand ready. Onyx has acquired a fine staff, masterfully enchanted to bring ruin to ghosts. Shadow Dancer has been learning a little bit of flametongue from the new chef. Drake Unending has successfully appraised Nazri of goings on, and can count on heaven's aid in figuring out what's up with this Gate (assuming Nazri gets out of Kyrshal alive).
    The group as a whole has a good deal of supplies to hopefully last them in the Underworld.

Masque stands a little ways apart, once again paying more attention to the reverie of the Neverborn dreams than to the waking world.

Laurel is nowhere to be found, nor are her clones, spies, familiars, or mechanical sea-creatures.

The Sidereal has just returned from the secret mountain aerie, successful in acquiring gryphon mounts to speed you on your way. The reclusive, half-wyld beasts necessitate this meeting place; they will not approach too near the city.

Masque, who best knows the destination, mounts up first, with evident distaste at a *living* steed.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2012-11-01 at 11:31 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"All right, you big, spiky clouds of useless!"

Since it was likely that there would be large amounts of enemies, Raziel had decided to call up the best conventional soldier demons he knew of, in a nice quintet. The "big, spiky clouds of useless", otherwise known as tomescu, were standing (well, hovering) at attention near the front of the cultists, apparently listening intently. Then again, given the lack of any visible facial features, it could have been they were massively bored with the proceedings, particularly given how they were all Killer bindings, and thus, more interested in what the chef cultists could prepare for their dinner rather than the possible battle.

The drill sergeant bit was just hammy acting, however.

"Now, to recap: What do we do when we scream?"

"DIG INTO THE GROUND AND AND SCREAM INTO THE SOUND-PROOF SAND, SIR!"

"And if you scream in the open?"

"GIVE AWAY OUR POSITION, SIR!"

"And that means?"

"WE LOSE THE ELEMENT OF SURPRISE AND MEET OUR VISIONS, SIR!"

"And if one of you useless barrels of gallmau crap gets one of the civilians killed through your own incompetence?"

"THAT VISION WILL BE YOU BEATING US TO DEATH WITH OUR OWN MACES, SIR!"

"Good! Dismissed!"

The tomescu float-marched off to wherever (probably to raid a booze caravan), and the Malefactor proceeded to similarly march up to a summoned agata, who was apparently amused by the sight given the color of her wings at the moment. Unknown, a certain aalu aide was waiting, dematerialized as per usual, at his master's side.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Troll in the Playground

Pyrus assigns his soldiers and sees to the affairs of the house before packing for the trip. It pained him to do it, but he left his bike behind, he couldn't risk being forced to leave it in the Underworld.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Troll in the Playground

Drake himself looks a bit more pale than usual when looking at the mounts, but he nods and mounts one after a couple deep breaths.

"Well, here we are." he speaks with an atonal voice "As a note, I'm ****ing terrified of heights, so I'm going to spend the whole trip hugging the griffin with my eyes closed. If anyone needs to tell me something please wait until we land"
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-11-05 at 04:30 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground

Wing could fly himself, but it was honestly he wasn't sure how well he could fly himself such a long distance.

"Well, sooner started sooner finished. Let's get going."
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #1068

The other mounts keep a good distance between them and the agata.

The bike waits quietly, lonely, for its master's return.

The Gryphons have been made to understand by their aerie spirit that they are to help Drake and those with him, carrying them where they need to go, and the agata, obviously, is fine carrying Raziel too and fro, so long as it is appreciated.

Nodding in agreement with Wing, Masque starts them off, as she knows the destination, and the gryphons get a running start before leaping, somewhat awkwardly, into the air. As they gain height though, the swooping pace of the flight steadies out. If anything, it's more frightening than Drake expected.
    The agata, of course, takes to the sky effortlessly, demonic magic speeding its flight as it zips around the others, showing off their glittering shell.

The one unencumbered gryphon floats around the edge of the group, keeping a watch for dangerous or edible things in the sky or the ground below, rather than its attention on the air currents.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2012-11-08 at 12:54 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If one was observing Raziel closely, it would have appeared that he was muttering something to the air. If one listened closely, the "air" would appear to be muttering back.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...Okay good. See you 'round, Beheris. I expect a full report on the Deathlords.p

The agata takes off, then flies closer to the griffons to annoy them. Really, not being awed by his wings...feh. Creation-born have no taste.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

As the griffons fly Shadow Dancer pays little attention to his mount preferring instead to simply enjoy the flight while wondering how things had changed. Only a week or so prior he had been alone and hunting Raksha, now he heading straight for the Underworld with a group of Exalted to save the city of Gem from being turned into a Shadowland which would herald an invasion that would endanger most if not all of Creation.
    “A world without dragons is a world not worth living in.”
    ― R.A. Salvatore, Streams of Silver

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Troll in the Playground

Just as he said, Drake is spending the whole trip with his head buried in the griffin's hair, eyes closed and trying very hard to not look down. Those with sharp ears might have heard him whimper like an abandoned kitten several times throughout the flight.

Definitely not his finest moment.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Troll in the Playground

"Bad news guys, I've decided I hate flying. Planes are fine, but this... This makes every sphincter I have clench."

23. - Top - End - #1073

Pyrus and Drake are not likely to appreciate the agata's vanity, as their griffins swoop to a safe distance away from the unholy thing when it approaches, leading to a few terrifying instants until it tires of showing off and harrassing them.

The group speeds past flamepeak after flamepeak, the wind more from the speed of their passage than any movement of the air, and hours go by. Eventually, they spot ahead a massive canyon, not by far the largest around (or even that they have passed over), the water that carved it long since dried up, and Masque presses her mount down, to land heavily on a rock shelf. "This will be the place, ahead."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Troll in the Playground

And soon as they land, Drake is going to rigidly roll and flop off his griffin and fall on his back on the ground, breathing fast and clearly pale as hell. God, blessed be the ground. He's probably going to need a moment for the dizziness born of sheer relief to go over him, but otherwise he seems... well, saying "okay" would be blatantly untrue, so let's go with "functional". "Give me... five minutes to uncramp my legs from panic position and I'm there, guys"
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-11-13 at 06:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Getting off his gryphon, Shadow Dancer gives it an appreciative pat on its flank. After a moments concentration he says in broken Flametongue "Steed good, good not as own wings" looking over to Drake he adds "Need relax more while ride, make enjoyable more."
    “A world without dragons is a world not worth living in.”
    ― R.A. Salvatore, Streams of Silver

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Once upon a time, John Fieldsman hated rollercoasters.

Once upon a time, Raziel had not sacrificed his cowardice, and a bit of an old love had returned.

Thus when they came to the ground, the Malefactor was in much better spirits than when they left.

"All right folks, let's get this show on the road! Masque?"

27. - Top - End - #1077

A moment after Shadow Dancer speaks, everyone feels a wave of unease and their hair stand on end. Masque slides off the Gryphon, which looks as glad to be done with that as she was.

"It will take a few minutes to prepare." She produces a bone knife, a bottle, and some cloth from within her cloak, and cuts a circle into the dirt, then sets about carving some probably magical shapes in the ground around it. Ones eyes have trouble focusing on them, and begin to hurt if you do manage it.

After not long she stands up, and tosses the folded square of cloth casually towards Raziel. "Hold this up. Between the sun and the gate." Still kneeling by the ring, she unstoppers the bottle and waits for someone to do as she asked. Not that she even bothered to see that he would catch the thing.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Titan in the Playground

Catching the cloth, Wing does as she asks.

"What's this for?"
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"...All right. Tell me when you're ready."

The priest moves to position.

"Seconding Wing's question, though."

30. - Top - End - #1080

"Sunlight makes the magic that much harder."
    The flask is poured slowly into the center of the circle, the liquid, which looks to be mostly if not entirely water, stopping just at the knife-drawn edge.
    "Ready." Her eyes close, she draws back a bit, and her next words none of you understand, but they sound like the symbols look.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine