New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Dream of Quiet (IC)

Wing

He enters the room, looking around as he does so.

Spoiler
    Show
    (9d10)[2][4][5][10][7][5][5][8][4](50), +(2d10)[5][1](6) if specialty against ambushes applies.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

dammitdammitdammit
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #933
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Wing]

Sees no ambush. The place is kind of run-down, with cracks in the uneven walls, a floor that clearly hasn't been cleaned recently metal plates strewn about in heap (no, wait, those are chalcothetes pretending to be piles of scrap by disguising themselves with actual piles of scrap, aren't they?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have no idea what the roll is because I can't see it, but there was no ambush.

What he does see is a chairs and a pile of stones that makes a table. In the chairs sit Laurel, another Laurel, a faint disturbance (which Wing wouldn't normally notice is a dematerialized Demjen), a young man in a heavy cloak (the heat must be killing him).

"You don't understand, do you?" Speaks the further Laurel. "Glad to see you Wing. Many thanks for the freeing. You're here about ... something besides the undead?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Wing has a second of shock, but gathers himself quickly. First to try and lead them, to get a couple seconds to marshal his thoughts.

"It was no problem. We were in the area, after all. A couple other things, yes. You're keeping an eye on Raziel?"

It's clear that he's not really asking a question here.
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #935

"Of course. We're keeping an eye on Orchid as well, even if you Lunars aren't-"

Old Realm passes between the Demjen and someone, very calm, very quick.

"Well, since you're here, what's your problem with that? None of you bother to keep m- us informed, so of course we have to look for ourselves."
    "And I would suggest that the whole Underworld thing is rather more of a concern. Do go on."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

Her indignation brings a smile to Wing's face, as he holds his hand up placatingly.

"I never said it was a problem, now did I? He could use someone keeping an eye on him, honestly.

Orchid as well: he and his companion just up and disappeared, and we've been focusing on other matters.

You're right about the Underworld, and that's the thrust of my proposal. I doubt that your plans involve involve letting the Lion turn this place into a Shadowland. Perhaps an Alliance of some sort is in order, at least until we can head him off.
    "
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #937

"Exactly. Glad you understand." The smile is returned.

The other Laurel speaks. "They went back to the Lap, last we heard. They were missed, but we got word from the Seventh of all people on those kids Amelia was looking for, and then went on to help press the cause of 'lander freedom."

"We certainly don't want this place brought into the underworld. And... yeah, while you might not be on with our ultimate plans, we're willing to cooperate here. You have any more specific plans?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #938
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Palace]

"As I can see. Wonderful news, Cathak Pyrus; I am honored to know that there are some among the Realm who still care for us at the periphery.
    I hope they are not needed too soon."
    He's clearly a little bit uncomfortable about the soldiers coming right up to the palace with Pyrus, but that's a small concern compared to what help they can be.
    "Yes, one always hopes that soldiers are free to be lazy and bored, but they are here if we need them." He was fully aware of what the Despot might also see, a powerful armed force outside his command brought to his very gate at the whim of this powerful Dynast. "But if there is nothing else my friend, I must get these worthy men settled and see to my own house." Taking his leave, Pyrus purchases housing for his soldiers near his town house, and hires young, pretty prostitutes to welcome them to Gem.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

9. - Top - End - #939
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Leliel View Post
    "Eh, don't worry. Unless you consider being bored to death when you ask him for a report on the situation a form of attack, Let's go."
    Shadow Dancer falls into step with Raziel and allows him to lead him to Pyrus' house. "If he gets too boring, I might knock him out to get some quiet." Dancer says with a grin.
    “A world without dragons is a world not worth living in.”
    ― R.A. Salvatore, Streams of Silver

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

"We'e still mulling over what we learned. Still, taking ut three of his deathnights can only have helped matters. Next objective seems to be to find out whatever thing the Lion is trying to find, and either destory it or take it into our possesion. Any idea what or where it could be?

As for your plan, what position are you actually trying to acheive?
    "

Spoiler
    Show
    Posted from Kindle.
    Satomi by Elagune

11. - Top - End - #941

"Look at this map."
    It's unrolled and set on the table. It's a slightly vague map of all the world, with known shadowlands and major cities marked. There are two lines drawn across it. "These are the Noss Fens. And over here, directly across Mount Meru, are the Gates of Final Rest." The two points are connected. "If we draw a line at a right angle and then invert it just through the north-south elemental line, it goes straight through Gem and a bunch of supposedly empty wasteland in the north."
    "We have reason to suspect that the Gilmynes' Saigoth Gates are somewhere here in or around Gem, and that the Lion's aware of the same. On one side, the universe, on the other, not even they know."

"We're trying to achieve a position of knowing. We, mostly Laurel, are studying the nature of Exaltation. Eliminating most sound in existence is also on the agenda. We weren't honestly concerned with being here, but now that there might be a knowable explanation, that too. We've been looking over maps of the city, new and old, for anything."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #942
    Troll in the Playground

Pyrus sees them coming. "Raziel, I see you managed to endure my absence. And some good news, I came back with two scales of heavy infantry, courtesy of House Cathak. Who's your friend?"

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm. Might have to start planning an expedition to the Underworld...but later. We'll try to start a couple methods to make things a bit harder for the Lion. If you catch a break, you know where to find us. I take it this is a somewhat regular meeting place? Or, if not, how should we contact you?"
    Satomi by Elagune

14. - Top - End - #944

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    "Hmm. Might have to start planning an expedition to the Underworld...but later. We'll try to start a couple methods to make things a bit harder for the Lion. If you catch a break, you know where to find us. I take it this is a somewhat regular meeting place? Or, if not, how should we contact you?"
    "Someone will be here if you come to look. Or if we're needed immediately, send a prayer."
    "We'll let you know when we catch something. Hopefully there's no need to descend into the Underworld."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Pyrus sees them coming. "Raziel, I see you managed to endure my absence. And some good news, I came back with two scales of heavy infantry, courtesy of House Cathak. Who's your friend?"
    "Meet the newest Lunar addition to the team, Shadow Dancer. And we were fast friends, on the basis that both of us need a translator, though for different reasons."

"Shadow Dancer, Cathak Pyrus."
    Last edited by Leliel; 2012-07-17 at 02:43 PM.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Meet the newest Lunar addition to the team, Shadow Dancer. And we were fast friends, on the basis that both of us need a translator, though for different reasons."

"Shadow Dancer, Cathak Pyrus."
    Shadow Dancer's cat ears flatten for just a moment as Pyrus walks up to join them, relaxing when Raziel begins speaking to him.

When Raziel introduces him Dancer takes a slight bow and says "Greetings it is a pleasure to meet you." in Seatongue.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

"Well then, if that's all, I'll take my leave of you and your friend"

Gesturing to the seat occupied by the dematerialized being, Wing gives a shallow bow, and departs. As he leaves he doesn't even look for Drake, heading to the house by the most direct method instead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm. Have we actually told the Despot that we're back?
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Dragon View Post
    Shadow Dancer's cat ears flatten for just a moment as Pyrus walks up to join them, relaxing when Raziel begins speaking to him.

When Raziel introduces him Dancer takes a slight bow and says "Greetings it is a pleasure to meet you." in Seatongue.
    He nods politely, but looks back at Raziel. "Slight problem, I don't speak 'island peasant'."

19. - Top - End - #949
    Troll in the Playground

It's of course not long before Drake joins Onyx in his walk. "<Man, what happened in there? I was outside ready to come in and teleport you out the second shouting started, but it seems like it went well>"

The worries of what a session of private counsel with an Ophidian Infernal may have caused, he prefers to keep to himself for now.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-07-17 at 05:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

Wing
    When Drake meets up with him, Wing half collapses against the wall.

"Good to know I had back up. Pretty sure Laurel was actually there, and there was a dematerilized demon as well. Talked about the Lion and the threat he poses. Agreed to possibly help one another if we find a way to stop him. Also, she had an idea of where what he's after is.

Oh, and I learned a bit more about her goals. I wonder why she's like this?

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess I should say that I am being somewhat careful with my tracks and such, so that the hearthstone take effect.
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #951
    Troll in the Playground

"<Well of course you had backup. What, did you expect me to seriously leave you alone to fend with an Infernal Deathknight on your own if things went sour? Come on, I'm not that ****ty a person>" Drake remarks, before letting Wing continue.

What the Lunar tells him maks him thoughtful, though. "<Hm. I don't really know, with her. She seems to stable some times and not others - and her clones seem more grounded than she is, which makes me think they're not clones per se, and something is missing or added. Man, now I wish my Earth memories got more than a year and a half of Psych courses before I got them. Though I think "the effects of Yozi power on the human mind" would probably be a work worthy of a thesis>

"<Anyway, what did you learn?>"

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

Taking a deep breathe, Wing starts an abbreviated recount of events.

"Quite a bit, really. They didn't seem concerned about telling me this information though, so some of it might be off base, but I think it's more likely that she just doesn't see a threat in any of us knowing it. Let me summarize.

Two points of interest are the Noss Fens and the Gates of Rest, the latter of which is right across from Mt Meru. If we get a map of the world, I can show you the approximate locations. Then something about a line at a right angle, inverted through the north-south elemental line, which then goes through Gem and some wasteland. They think the 'Gilmynes' Saigoth Gates' are somewhere in that area. Or, that's what they told me.

They also let me know they're keeping an eye on Raz at the very least, and quite possibly on us as well. More interesting, from my view, is that they're watching out missing Infernal and Lunar friends. They appear to be up in the Lap, stirring up trouble. Needless to say, this could get bad.

Oh, and they let me know a couple of their general objectives. They are exploring the exact mysteries of Exaltation, and are now looking for why we are here. Most worrying about the latter is the exact phrasing she used: she wasn't concerned about that before, but know that there's a possible reason, she's exploring that. Oh, and destroying all noise in existence seems to be on the list as well.
    "
    Satomi by Elagune

23. - Top - End - #953
    Troll in the Playground

Drake is lost in thought for a few seconds there as they continue walking. "<I never really sat down and really got into Saigoth. I mean, I've heard the name and such, and I'm pretty sure I actually read a few things about it once, but I never really expected it to be, you know, important, so I can barely remember the first thing about it. I have to ask the librarians back at the department to get me whatever we have on these gates...>"

He then shakes his head quickly, as if to shake that thought. "<But yeah, that's for later. More pressing things to think of. So, to sum up,>" he enumerates, counting his fingers "<one, we've got confirmation that we're getting monitored by Laurel, two, we have a probably insane Infernal looking into tampering with the mysteries of Exaltation as a pastime before she intends to somehow silence the whole world, and three, our own old allies have gone to the Lap to stir up trouble despite the fact I outright mentioned to them that there was already hints of rebellion brewing there and if it breaks out thousands of people all around are going to starve. On the plus side, however, if she wasn't lying to us, which I still am not discarding, mind, we may have a slight idea at last of what the Lion wants to kill us over, though I still wonder what he wants these gates for>". Drake chuckles a little sighing chuckle. "<Well. I did expect the coming months to be interesting>" he says, looking upwards, clearly thinking. Then something strikes him - so lost in thought about planning he was that he'd forgotten the most immediate matter.

"<...you know, we should probably go and find Raz and that Lunar before anything else. I'd rather not come back to everything exploding>" he says, speeding up the pace a little.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

Wing

"I believe she did imply that was a reason to keep watch on him. But, yeah, let's hurry."

Wing moves quickly, heading towards the last place Raz and the new Lunar were.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think we ever established where to meet....
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

And when they arrive, they're not there. Drake looks around for a bit, before giving up. "<Nope. they're not here. Goddamn, where did they go? I know Raz wasn't attacked or at least he didn't attack back because he's inside my guardian pattern>" (Drake does so hate the term "Shadow Finger") "<so if he was attacking someone I'd have gotten that weird twinge I get when there's an opening for using the Fate Guardian charms. But where the **** is he and why did he go? The place seems to calm for there having been trouble soon earlier>"

An idea crosses his mind, and he grimaces. "...do you think he'd just have brought him to Pyrus's house?>"
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-07-20 at 05:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    He nods politely, but looks back at Raziel. "Slight problem, I don't speak 'island peasant'."
    Raziel bristles a bit at that, but he's okay.

"Uh, he don't speak Seatongue. I will never snark at translators again."

"I really don't know what else he speaks, so try the trade languages if you know any. You know, Low Realm, Old Realm, Riverspeak...

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

"I speak High Realm."

28. - Top - End - #958
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Uh, he don't speak Seatongue. I will never snark at translators again."
    "Well the only other spoken language I know is my tribes... but I doubt I will find anyone here that can speak it... though the tribes here may speak a similar tongue I might be able to understand well enough." Dancer's left ear droops just a bit as he feels a tad homesick but the moment quickly passes.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Dragon View Post
    "Well the only other spoken language I know is my tribes... but I doubt I will find anyone here that can speak it... though the tribes here may speak a similar tongue I might be able to understand well enough." Dancer's left ear droops just a bit as he feels a tad homesick but the moment quickly passes.
    There was the unmistakable sound of a palm hitting a face.

"First thing I am going to do when I learn Verdant Emptiness Endowment is wish that everyone could speak Old Realm. There is so much pain just knowing that one language can avert. Negotiating with spirits, understanding the Salinan Working, knowing what those funny pictographs mean on anything remotely magical..."

["Right, Dancer can't speak anything other than the native barbarian tribes of his home, so I'm going to ask him where he comes from."]

"Which Direction you from, anyway?"
    Last edited by Leliel; 2012-07-21 at 09:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

"My home is a full lunar cycle of travel west of here... in the Silent Crescent"

Spoiler
    Show
    Dancer is approximately 700 miles away from home. Wasn't sure if miles was a valid unit of measurement in Exalted so I did some math if he walked, doing 25 miles a day, it would take 28 days. Though if he flew he could be back in as little as 12 hours, birds fly much faster than I originally thought...
    Last edited by Scarlet Dragon; 2012-07-21 at 11:46 PM.