New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A Dream of Quiet (IC)

Pyrus leaves a message to the others that he was going on a trip to the Blessed Isle, and starts packing for the trip accross the desert.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

2. - Top - End - #752
    Troll in the Playground

Drake opens his eyes. "Welp. Probability says our best bet is sending Onyx in right this instant. This crow tastes great, by the way" he chuckles a bit.

"The rest of us should see about finding a few more clues if possible in the meantime, I think. I'm thinking Raziel's congregation as a start, someone might have seen something or known where our dissappeareds were before they went poof..." he says, thinking out loud. "But no, we can't just get them together and ask them, because Laurel is still my prime suspect and somehow I can very easily see someone with Ebon Dragon charms making someone into a Manchurian Agent of sorts. We really need to fnd a way to check people for lingering compulsions"

He looks over the list again. "...this mirror thing also keeps nagging at me. Shattered mirrors. I can't help but feel it has some significance...".

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

"Okay, then. I'll head out then: let's meet up at the eastern entrance to the complex around sunset. If I'm not their, probably means I've run into trouble and could use your help. Unless anyone has some objections?"

Before he goes, Wing takes a long, hard look at the maps, to get at least a general idea of the layout.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure about the roll, but I think it would be Int+Lore, so I'll roll that here:
    (5d10)[16]
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #754
    Troll in the Playground

Pyrus kicks back on his bike, feet up on the handlebars. He'd told it "head north", and the automaton would do so until he said otherwise or it reaches an impassible barrier. Who would have thought that a place so backwards in many respects would have cruise control? He smiles as he dozes off, only to let out an undignified squawk as he falls off the bike. He rolls down the side of a dune, shouting "Stop!" before the bike gets to far away. He trudges back uphill, very glad no one was here to see this...

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Hmm...broken mirrors.....

...There's some mirror symbolism in necromancy and Lord Szoreny's heraldry. Let me think if I know anything..."

Spoiler
    Show

Intelligence + Lore

[rollv]7d10[rollv]

Intelligence + Occult + Specialty for Underworld

(7d10)[5][2][10][7][7][6][3](40)

Intelligence + Occult (for seeing if there's any relation to the Yozis)

(6d10)[1][5][4][3][4][9](26)
    Last edited by Leliel; 2012-02-24 at 06:19 PM.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops, first roll didn't get through.

Intelligence + Lore

(7d10)[5][5][3][9][1][9][3](35)

7. - Top - End - #757
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Previously, in the Desert]

The cycle rolls on over the top of the hill, but dutifully stops upon hearing its rider's voice. For someone who cares so much about their bike, if must have been real embarrassing. Best to keep awake; hopefully everyone knows better than to mess with a guy on a magical motorcycle speeding across the desert, but there's still a lot of ground to cover until they reach the coast.

[Lore]

You recall a few mentions of mirrors in all the information Kagami gave to read and what you learned. A ceremonial mirror marks where the first ghost arose. No, that's no help. But there was something. The Underworld itself was seen as a sort of mirror to Creation, and Necromancy and Sorcery both use them. Mirrors can trap peoples' souls, drag spirits into the material, be seen through, be spoken through, be stepped through, and worse, connect the Underworld and Creation directly for the duration of the spell... Shattering the mirror of course comes standard for Necromantic workings.

As for Szoreny, reflections were at the center of his mythos long before he took up that name, since the beginning. But to break a reflection is not his nature. All things are to be absorbed, polished, perfected, not broken. It is Szoreny's to be broken to pieces, but others are to be...improved. Casting Sorcery through Szoreny's imitation may well cause such an effect, but nothing else springs to mind.

[Studying a Map]

The maps make perfect sense to you, and an understanding of the mine's layout filters up as soon as you look at them. Another old volcano, the mines main entrance is a huge upsloping lava tube on the east face. It's been widened and had steps cut in, but it mainly just leads to another tunnel down to the hub of the mine, a large unworked cavern around a lava pillar, from which tunnels have been dug radially outward in several tiers, more concentrated on the western area. The highest levels reach the farthest out, and one or two of the branches have lateral offshoots reaching all the way to another branch of the tunnel, as well as the shorter excavations of pursing a metal vein. The bottom level looks kind of short on detail, showing only the main tunnels up to the first change of direction. It's big, but it's not a complex and interconnected maze of twisty passages. Not so many redundant safety features or air tunnels to deal with.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"...Hm.

Broken mirrors is a sign of necromancy. Wouldn't be surprised if the Lion-he's the head honcho Deathlord, by the way-is behind the latest disappearances. He may be trying to open a shadowland, given what I know about his general location. Nice place for a beachhead."

That Lord Szoreny or his servants would be behind this was ridiculous. Surely such things as human sacrifice were utterly beneath him or them.

A quiet scoff sounded from Corona's territory of the brain.

Spoiler
    Show
    Work that Underworld Lore!

If there's a limit to what he knows, he knows about the Big 3 Deathlords-Lion, Dowager, and Bodhisattva-but not much else and he thinks they have a ranking system.
    Last edited by Leliel; 2012-03-05 at 09:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Troll in the Playground

Mounting up again, Pyrus resumes his journey to the Lap, and beyond it his homeland. He couldn't shake the thought of the Dune Folk though, the misshapen desert raiders that frequently assaulted the rich caravans leaving Gem...

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, he's probably the strongest, but I'm pretty sure the Deathlords don't have so much an organization as an argument" Drake points out. He has skimmed the reports on the Convention of Deathlords he's a part of now, after all, and even if the Green Lady's reports are not entirely reliable, perhaps, she's still an agent in the most inner circle, which probably makes the Convention the most knowledgeable people in the world about the Deathlords.

In any case, he seems thoughtful as he continues. "But we do know he has plans for Gem. And he probably knows someone here helped one of his Deathknights escape from him, which would probably make him want to have someone do some investigating around here... hmmm. Yeah, it could be a fitting suspect"

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

"Not only helped escape, but also killed one of his minions. And looted the body afterwards. So, plenty of reasons to dislike us."
    Standing up from examining the map, Wing heads to leave, stopping momentarily at the doorway.

"I'll head over to the caves now, and check them out. Let's try and meet up at the entrance in, oh, 5 hours. If I'm not there, probably means trouble."

And with that, Wing heads out, changing to the form of a hawk once he's outside of the city. Landing near the mine entrance, he once more hides from any watching eyes, and takes the form of a desert mouse, then enters the mines.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    "Well, he's probably the strongest, but I'm pretty sure the Deathlords don't have so much an organization as an argument" Drake points out. He has skimmed the reports on the Convention of Deathlords he's a part of now, after all, and even if the Green Lady's reports are not entirely reliable, perhaps, she's still an agent in the most inner circle, which probably makes the Convention the most knowledgeable people in the world about the Deathlords.
    "Well, he does seem to be the de facto ruler of Stygia, and he's unquestionably the head of the biggest undead army in the Underworld. I may be mistaken, but if there's an argument, he seems to have the most rational and well-supported: 'I'm bigger than you are'.

All right then, Wing, I'll be looking for people I can interview. If this is Underworld activity, there's bound to be a few living workers who have no idea who they're working for, just that they're being paid. Ghosts tend to work through intermediaries."

So do we.

Raziel decided to leave that comment alone.
    Last edited by Leliel; 2012-03-10 at 07:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #763

[Not Being Eaten By Dune Folk]

...is Pyrus, riding along. He can rest safely in the fact that his cycle can outrun any of the dune folk, and even if runs right into them, those caravans are run by mortals. He shouldn't have any trouble these nights.

[Gem]

Leaving you three a few hours to investigate things and discuss Deathlords and dismiss perfectly reasonable demon-related lines of inquiry before heading off to meet Wing.

[Silk Mountain Mine - East Entrance]

A mouse creeps under the wooden beam that marks the entrance to the mine, unnoticed by the pair of the despot's mercenaries standing watch just inside the entrance. Cheap red glowstones are set in the walls often enough to keep the place rather well lit. At least at first. The hub cavern too shines with earthy light, but once our Lunar arrives their, he'll see they aren't placed out into any of the top mining tunnels. It being several hours yet nightfall, most of the slaves and workers have yet to report in, but the faint sound of picks swinging and carts rattling can be heard deeper on as the day shift goes about their work.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

The Mines

Wing scampers through the mines, beady eyes searching for anything out of the ordinary, heading down into the depths of the mine. He'd be willing to bet his soul-well, souls-that whatever was happening, it was doing so in the deepest part.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception+Awareness check. I don't think my specialty applies, so not rolling it. (9d10)[10][9][6][6][5][3][1][2][6](48)
    Satomi by Elagune

15. - Top - End - #765
    Troll in the Playground

"Heh, yeah. Being bigger is meager consolation when you find a dagger on your back, but it does tend to make people think twice about messing with you" Drake grins a bit. "On the plus side, I figure that if we do stop his forces a few years from now, he's going to find himself in a position to be rather cannibalized by the others"

He gets up and stretches. "Okay, so, any ideas for where to start asking?"
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-03-14 at 02:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

Pyrus, having spent much of his trip meditating on his bike, reaches the crest of a hill and looks down on the Lap. "Ah, civilization. I really don't know how to feel about this place. On one hand, it's run by people who would treat me like a prince. On the other hand, it runs on slavery and feeds the armies of an expansionist empire. I suppose I'll have to take care of this place some day..." He speeds his way through the farmland, dodging wagons and serfs on his way to the city. From here it was safe going to the Empire proper.
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2012-03-29 at 02:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    "Heh, yeah. Being bigger is meager consolation when you find a dagger on your back, but it does tend to make people think twice about messing with you" Drake grins a bit. "On the plus side, I figure that if we do stop his forces a few years from now, he's going to find himself in a position to be rather cannibalized by the others"

He gets up and stretches. "Okay, so, any ideas for where to start asking?"
    "I heard a few miners milling about. I'd start with them. They can probably point us in the right direction, at the very least. Look for reports of creepy and weird.

...though I'd also scout them first to make sure they aren't ancestor cultists to begin with and end up raising the alarm."
    Last edited by Leliel; 2012-03-16 at 08:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

Pyrus cruises into the city, heading for the home of Auntie Sijip, one of the triumvirs of the Lap. Leaving his bike outside for the servants to marvel at in an appropriately envious manner, he heads inside, addressing the first mortal he sees. "Tell Cathak Sijip that her nephew Pyrus has arrived."

19. - Top - End - #769

[The Depths of a Mine]

It was a safe bet. Down a long spiralling shaft is a very faint green light flickering. It's doubtful that anyone who brought much of their own lights with them would spot it. Behind a few rocks is a crevice, wide enough that it could be uncomfortably traversed by even large humans. Beyond it widens swiftly into a massive sloped cave, a sill from some ancient eruption.
    Without going in, Wing can still see a fair bit, and remain a mouse hidden in a corner.
    The light source is clearer now, green flames burning in somehow disturbing steel holders. A circle, perhaps 40 or fifty meters across, is marked out in the center with a dark red line, and is slightly darker within where there is only one man bent over a table. Around the far rim, though, armed folk stand guard over an array of cages.

[Triumvir estate of Cathat Sijip]

Who knows, maybe someone else will take care of it for him. If the Abyssal is to be believed...

"Of course, sir." The young servant bows and starts to rush away. "Be welcome here." He returns after just a short while. "If it would please you to come to the parlour, this way..." Well, then Pyrus would be lead to see his relative.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2012-03-30 at 09:13 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #770
    Troll in the Playground

He follows the servant, seemingly casual and at ease, but inside his genre-savvy Earth mind is considering the odds Pyrus' aunt is dead or being impersonated.

21. - Top - End - #771

Admittedly, there are quite a few people who would rather she not be Triumvir of the Lap, but then, she is one of the most important people in the city. It might well have been noticed if something had happened to her.

Cathak Sijip looks like herself, seated on the far side of a table, but any good impersonator would. "Pyrus. Do come in. How good to see you again. I trust your travels in the far South have been illuminating."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

The Mines-Wing

Carefully, Wing makes his way into the cavern, still in the from of a mouse. He heads towards the cages, wanting to make sure that these are the people he's looking for, as well as trying to figure out anything that he can about what's going on here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception Awareness to keep aware of dangers: (9d10)[10][7][5][4][9][4][5][5][7](56)
    Satomi by Elagune

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

"Most illuminating Aunt Sijip. I met some interesting people, and learned of a possible threat to the city I'll have to confront and defeat. How are things in the Lap?"

24. - Top - End - #774
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leliel View Post
    "I heard a few miners milling about. I'd start with them. They can probably point us in the right direction, at the very least. Look for reports of creepy and weird.

...though I'd also scout them first to make sure they aren't ancestor cultists to begin with and end up raising the alarm."
    "Alright, sounds like a plan. You make the questions - they're used to seeing you around. I'll stay around looking inconspicuous with senses at full, see if I can hear any ghost, thaumathurgy or Necromancy effects on people or if I detect any danger nearby. I've been cultivating my spider-sense" he sighs a little as he drops his hat and gaudy clothes for some plain and entirely unremarkable brown worker clothes, and drops the Resplendent Destiny. Sometimes it's useful being so average-looking, he smirks to himself as he comes back out and nods at Raziel.

"Let's go then. If I get the feeling someone is dangerous I'll give you this sign, alright?" Drake adds as he makes a gesture with his hand.

(OOC: And with that, I think me and Raziel can head out, and fast forward to annoying workers around for information. Let's speed this up and get this campaign back on the fast road! I'll be commiting five motes to having Telltale Symphony on to scan for anything magical around, and the new Expected Pain will probably ping when talking to someone who will expose us. Hoping this will suffice to help us stay out of too big a trouble! )
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-03-31 at 06:58 AM.

25. - Top - End - #775

[Lap]

"As to this challenge, I am sure you will confront and overcome it. Or have you come to call on our help? "
    "Things are somewhat as they always are; though the indentured are more restless of late than they ought to be. And it has been a ... struggle to keep the troubles to the north from disrupting things."

[The Mines - Wing]

The man at the table appears to be building or repairing some machine, there are pieces and tools scattered around the table, and he is busily at work with one and then the other. Something about him seems threatening, though you can't tell just what.
    The pair of men who appear to be patrolling around the sill cave might be trouble, but they're a little ways past Wing and heading away at the moment.

Once Wing draws closer, he can see that the people in the cages appear to be the ones he's looking for. Many of them have the uniforms of miners and the withdrawn, forlorn expression of those used to captivity. Others look frightened or call softly and despairingly for help, including a few who look slightly familiar from the missing descriptions.
    He'll also notice smaller cages holding animals, of all sorts, and a few that appear to hold nothing at all. A trio of guards stand, or lounge, watching the cages, but they seem fairly relaxed, expecting no trouble. Of particular interest are two cages at the very end of the row, set a little aside. One contains what appears to be a solid metal sphere, once shiny but now scratched and dented, about four feet in diameter, which rocks and rolls irregularly about its enclosure. The other holds a Scourge you probably remember, who alone among the prisoners is wearing a set of manacles.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #776
    Troll in the Playground

"No no, I am merely passing through on my way home. Is there anything I can do for you before I leave? I know some matters can only be entrusted to family."

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

The Mines

Wing's a bit shocked. He had honestly thought that Laural was behind this in some way. Now it seems she's a victim.

The situation is much more serious now, though. Whatever they're up against, it was enough to beat her. Wing begins the trek(for his smaller form) back out of the cavern. No way does he want to fight it out himself. Best get the others.

Still, he waits at the entrance to the cleft. He doesn't want to fight by himself, buy he doesn't want to let the prisoners die. So he waits, letting the 5 hours pass.
    Satomi by Elagune

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Hm...good plan.

Still, I need some sort of pretense...I don't think these guys know I can survive and navigate the desert perfectly well...hm..."

Without warning, Raziel jumps in the nearest sand dune and rolls a bit. After shaking himself off, he uses a rock to cut up his face a little, followed by his clothes then inhales a bit of sand to induce a bad cough.

By the end of it, the great Kablah looks for all the world like he had been on a detour through Malfeas.

*cough*, This way *hack* you'll be able to *cough* say you found *hack* me.

"I *gack* haven't been around *wet cough* town for a *hacks up mucus* few days, so they probably think I was imprisoned or lost.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not rolling yet, on the basis that (A), it might not require a roll, and (B) not enough time, because college.

29. - Top - End - #779

[The Lap]

She pauses for a moment, and then nods. "As a matter of fact, there is a small thing. There is a special Prayer Wheel from the Grange that needs be delivered to the House on the Isle, by someone I can be sure will do so safely and properly. And if you happen to hear anything of interest while you are there, I would be most pleased to hear it."

[The Mines]

Would you really put it past Laurel to lock herself up to give the appearance of not being behind it all? She did look pretty okay in that cage; might just be the warped Adorjan view of things.

After a an hour or two have passed, plus the time it took to get here, little has happened. Then the man at the table jumps up, his chair clattering to the floor behind him, whatever he was working on clutched in his upraised hand. "It is done!" He laughs, a low and disturbing sound, bringing a moment of panic to the imprisoned. A group of the guards are motioned over, and he talks in a lower, normal voice, but still just audible. "Get everything ready. The time is almost here." They busy themselves at some work around the table, clearing it, carrying things over, and he heads for the edge of the room with his completed work and tools (and the chair, which has served its purpose).

[The Surface]

Raziel has created a convincing and possibly unnecessary appearance of a lost desert traveller, and thus disguised, they soon come to the entrance and the two men watching it. On approaching, they're greeted with a short "You're late!", and then a more attentive "What happened to him?" No magic or threat is in evidence. Yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    No roll is needed. Also, no time because college. I hear you.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2012-04-03 at 02:46 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #780
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course Auntie, I'd be glad to help."