New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: A Dream of Quiet (IC)

Even when the trail leads out of Pyrus's estate and onto the streets, Wing is easily able to follow it, as it leads into some poorer, narrower, twistier tunnels, less well lit. And finally to what is clearly her home.
    The streets are bustling with people: pedestrians, vendors, guardsman, a man playing flute at the corner, receiving nearly no coins. A few of the more perceptive passerby give Wing's tracking attempts odd looks, but no one comments.

Orchid's examination of the statue wasn't able to find indication of the cause or method.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Finally coming to a stop, Wing turns to the others.
    Well, this is it. Do we want to go in guns blazing, or try and talk once more?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

"Neither, we plan first. They teach you that kind of thing in the military. Know where the exits are, always carry a spare mag, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet. Those of us with stealth talents will enter discreetly and take up positions to cut off escape. If anyone has ranged weapons, stand in the back of the group and spread out to the flanks. If we have to fight, don't use a lot of power trying to overwhelm her, we can outlast her and make her use up her essence defending against a dozen minor strikes. If we can, pin her down, disarm her, and make her talk."
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

"I find that even with Laurel, I have to give her a chance. One chance. Other than that, I support Pyrus; I certainly don't have training to know any better. I... hang on, <I have my telekinetic charms on, so I'm already armed. The white streams are friendly, and probably our best bet for pinning her. No real stealth, though.>"

Spoiler
    Show
    For the ever-closer fight, some reference.
    Mind-Hand Manipulation can be countered with Emerald Circle Countermagic, should Laurel know Sorcery.

Physical Defenses
    Dodge DV: 3
    Parry DV: 3 (Punch)/5 (Sword)/8 (Telekinetic)

Soak
    Natural: 2B/1L
    Armor: +8B/+6L
    Total: 10B/7L

Health
    -0 [ ]
    -1 [ ][ ]
    -2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    -4 [ ][ ][ ]
    -X [ ]
    Dying [ ][ ][ ]

Mental Defenses
    Dodge MDV: 8
    Parry MDV: 4 (Investigation)

Essence
    Personal: 9/16
    Peripheral: 23/33
    Commited: 10 (10 Mind-Hand Manipulation)

Willpower: 10/10
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-02-15 at 10:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

"If she does run, don't get in front of me, I'll need a clear path to get to my ride." He performs a series of katas, gathering his essence and activating his Celestial powers.

Spoiler
    Show

Using Concordant Dragon Form. Soaks Agg. damage with full lethal and has +2 Acc. for lance

Physical Defenses
    Dodge DV: 4
    Parry DV: 4

Soak
    Natural: 3B/1L
    Armor: +4B/+8L
    Total: 7B/9L

Health
    -0 [ ]
    -1 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
    -2 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
    -4 [ ]
    -X [ ]
    Dying [ ][ ][ ]

Mental Defenses
    Dodge MDV: 9
    Parry MDV: 3

Essence
    Personal: 12/12
    Peripheral: 14/27
    Commited: 8 (Dire Lance, Breastplate and mount)

Willpower: 5/5
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2011-02-15 at 11:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

I might be able to get around without her noticing me, but If we do that, I'm worried about communication. Or should I wait until I hear combat, then come in?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

"If a fight starts, you'll know it."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

A nod.
    Well then, I head off to the back.
    Moving forward, Wing slowly and nonchalantly moves into a side alley. No need to rush, and if he's really meant to be backup, it's best not to be seen. Still, he keeps his eyes open, and his forked tongue out. Never a good idea to assume that you're the hunter with prey like this.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception+awareness (9d10)[3][7][8][2][7][1][4][7][2](41), plus (2d10)[9][4](13) if the specialty is valid. I believe my charm's still up, if that matters.

Dex+Stealth to remain unnoticed. (9d10)[5][7][6][1][9][6][5][9][7](55)+1 due to Orb of the unnoticed predator.
    Satomi by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #279

Laurel's trail led up to the front door, but it's also clear that she's been down this alley and made use of the side door before. Through the cracked window next to said door, Wing will catch a glimpse of someone walking by.
    No one here seems to notice him as he sneaks into the alley. Perhaps the prey is even sneakier than he imagines. Or perhaps surprise is on his side.
    The small side door rests 15 feet back from the entrance of the alley, holding no windows, locked from inside.
    The street has become oddly hushed, and nearly no one now passes by this stretch.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2011-02-16 at 11:04 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

"<Give me a tic to get my diplomatic measures ready and poke causality a little>" Drake says, taking his hands to his pockets - which come out covered in two rainbow-hued metal gauntlets. Then he takes a hand to his forehead, readying his senses and touching the strands of reality around him...

What is the better option in order to find and catch Laurel unaware with minimum resistance? Entering the house through the windows, through the door, through either wall? Or he adds quickly to the questioning magic, thinking of what he would do in Laurel's place "not enter at all and instead find her outside?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Wise Choice for 6 motes.

Basically, tells me which one of the choices I'm thinking of works will work for my stated objective in the short term (short term being a month) and gives a rough estimate of the level of danger and resistance the option chosen presents. Yes, it's basically an "Ask the ST" power, really . Also it's more or less the only Sidereal power that can account for stuff outside of Fate, so it's not like I have many more options when dealing with Laurel...

11. - Top - End - #281

Spoiler
    Show
    The Wisest Choice is: Do not enter at all. Find her outside.
    It's still a moderately dangerous path; Drake could die, but it provides the possibility of no resistance at all, unlike the other options.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Mmmmm. So the obvious supposition is she's out, or about to go out, and it'd be very dangerous to go in for some reason...

"<Guys, I'm kind of getting the feeling we shouldn't go in>" he leans in and whispers at Pyrus, to make sure that an eavesdropping Laurel couldn't hear. "<This whole "predict the future" power is a bit hazy, I admit, and I can't give details - but Fate says we really should search for her outside. That's what I know for sure - if you want my interpretation, I think there's a good chance she might have gone out somehow and the whole house is trapped to high heaven. An Ebon Dragonist sounds like the kind of person to use that kind of Vietcong-like ****>"

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Not knowing of Drascin's charm, Wing gets closer to the window, hoping to see what's going on inside. Even with no one else in the alley,he tries to be subtle. After all, no sense in letting observers have it easy.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth+Dex(9d10)[5][4][3][7][9][5][2][8][8](51)+1

Perception+Awareness(9d10)[10][5][8][3][4][6][4][8][7](55)
    Satomi by Elagune

14. - Top - End - #284

Wing easily approaches the window unseen, sensing no followings or traps. Through the window can be seen a small, relatively bare kitchen, with Laurel sitting at the table, looking over something. A map?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid contemplates what Sparrow said, and what he caught of the whispers - incomplete but enough. He whispers in turn, taking that cue...
    "<Do we need to pull Laurel out, then? I don't think that's normally a good idea with a Scourge... Although I'm not inclined to go rushing into a nest of traps, either. Any good ideas for how to get her outside? Or would it be better to go in and talk first, then fight? As long as she gets her chance - and what's coming to her - I think either order is effective, especially with a pair of Lunars blocking escape.>"

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

"<We could set the place on fire.>
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2011-02-17 at 08:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid stays silent. Though he isn't sure which decision is right, it is an alluringly simple and effective idea...
    Finally, he settles upon,
    "<If you can do that... There are other buildings around. I don't want to burn down a section of the city right before we announce to the Despot that we're here to help. And it guarantees that Laurel will come out hostile, which leaves her in no mood to explain and dangerous.>"
    "<How about Raziel and I go in and have a short chat to distract her while you set it up carefully? I think I can check her for lies, but I'd prefer if Raziel did the talking if we choose that. I'd also like a warning before the building is on fire, if that's convenient.>"
    Orchid is a bit uneasy about the fact that he might not know about the fire - and thus Laurel's reaction - before it starts. He has the theory of 'Exalted are hard to kill' down, and he knows what he can do in combat with great precision. Lots of plans for it, even. But not a lot of practice.

Spoiler
    Show
    This plan would basically be: Sparrow and Pyrus stay outside to set up the fire, since they should stick together as the targets most likely to be ambushed, as well as the people probably most able to start/stop fires besides possibly Raziel. Amelia and Wing guard potential exits. Raziel and Orchid enter, try to pry an explanation out of Laurel, and if necessary stall or distract her for the setup. Then we get her outside and start a fight! (Unless she somehow had a good reason to kill a random dude. Unlikely.)

Is that good with you all?

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

<*gulp*OK. Anything to help.>

It's strange how easily a whisper can sound like a shout when someone is obviously forcing it out. Not that it was any louder, it was just obvious that his state had upgraded from "nervous" to "holy crap I'm gonna die".
    Last edited by Leliel; 2011-02-18 at 01:07 AM.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

"<I'm really not convinced of this...>" Drake says, frowning. "<This seems too likely to blow in our faces. And Fate said that not entering at all is easily our best chance, whatever that means. But I'll do what is decided. Ridding the world of a monster is always something you have to help with, even if you're scared>" he adds, flexing his fingers to check that the gauntlets are on right. He certainly seems nervous. He's never had to kill a man before, and this situation certainly doesn't look like something that will end peacefuly...

If it is decided to start the plan, however, he'll first have to close his eyes against a wall and pray for a moment somewhere where the others won't hear him...

Spoiler
    Show
    "<Glorious lady of the hidden which should be found, mistress of treasures and pirates alike, I ask today for your mercy, that you will hear but one little plea and that by your hand may my fortune be made today>" he intones, with the practiced ease of the priest.

There, he takes a deep breath, gulping.

"<...This is Drake, Ichi. Sorry about the prayer, I know you hate me contacting you through this. But I do have something to ask, so it works. Please. I'm going into a situation that has pretty good odds to kill me. So, don't say anything yet, but if you don't hear from me before a couple days, please tell Nazri that Hell's in motion and that he really should send more qualified people to Gem - and they should come ready for stuff they've never seen before>" he says, rushedly. The tone of desperation in his voice is easy to perceive.

He then takes a deep breath again. "<...really hoping to see you again. And... take care. That's also a plea, if it'll help>" he jokes, sadly.

Then he'll go back, nod, and simply wait for the signals.

Time for some premeditated arson.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

"<I was actually hoping that we could just ask her to come out and she would. Otherwise, we'll do as little in the house as we can, and make sure we're outside before anything happens. You seem to understand why it has to happen even if it's dangerous, so...>"
    Orchid pauses, wordless. He can't explain anything Drake doesn't already know. He simply nods, and takes a place by the door, watching Pyrus questioningly for approval. It's a fair enough plan, or so he thinks, but She Who Lives in Her Name got one thing right - sometimes, other people just have experiences, authority, or skills you don't.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

"<Go for it, the worst that can happen is we drive her out of the city when she finds out how easy we can find her. And for the record, the blood of the Fire Dragon flows though my veins, there is NOTHING I can't set on fire.>"

22. - Top - End - #292
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

"<...Duly noted. I'm gonna...go be sneaky.>"

Amelia moves over to Wing, falling into a step that's significantly quieter than her normal stride and carefully staying clear of the window. "<Wing? We're not going in. Drake's foresight suggests that we should wait for her outside, which could mean traps. And I'm with you on the exits.>"

She settles into an elegant stance, which a few katas transforms into the expression of the Crane Form; defensive and poised, alert to danger or need for her skill.

Spoiler
    Show

6m on Crane Form, my unarmed attacks can work against mounted/people higher than I am without penalty.
    I automatically succeed on any Athletics check to keep my balance.
    I exert no weight on solid objects I stand on.
    I double the dice bonus of stunts which enhance martial arts actions.
    Any damage I deal is converted to bashing in step ten, even if it went past soak and DVs as lethal.

Physical Defenses
    Dodge DV: 3
    Parry DV: 6 (only lethal with stunt)

Soak
    Soak: 12L/13B (Buff Jacket, +3L/4B, Tattoo Breastplate, +6L/4B)
    Hardness: 2L/2B (Tattoo Breastplate, 2L/2B)

Health
    -0 [ ]
    -1 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
    -2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    -4 [ ]
    -X [ ]
    Dying [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

Mental Defenses
    Dodge MDV: 8
    Parry MDV: 3 (Performance/Presence)/4 (Performance: Stories)

Essence
    Personal: 16/22 (0 committed)
    Peripheral: 42/44 (2 committed)

Willpower: 10/10
    Last edited by LauWren; 2011-02-20 at 12:16 AM.
    The three great secrets of public speaking: Hello, my name is; roll with it; thank you for your time.

crackle

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"<Okay...who knocks?>"

"<You know what, don't answer that question. I'm the weakest and most obviously non-threatening, I should go.>"

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

"<Alright. Pyrus, Drake, make sure Laurel can't see you and get ready. Give us enough time to pry out any answers she has.>"

Orchid waits for them to leave, and then turns to Raziel and nods. He doesn't know how he feels, but he puts on a brave expression for Raziel's benefit. Maybe he really is optimistic, but he can't afford the time to figure that out until after Laurel's been dealt with.

About to try and get Laurel out, or go inside. I can watch Laurel, make sure you take note of anything that might be a trap, because we might need to leave in a hurry.

Right.

Even Melodies is quiet, only the soft hum of intent awareness betraying his attention in Orchid's head.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

OK...here we go.

Truth be told, he wasn't actually being brave. First was simple practicality-he was fairly well known around Malfeas for being well, a pacifist and a wimp. Mostly he preferred to talk over his differences with people rather than fight, something that did not endear him to the demon lords.

The second reason, while ruminating around his head, was quickly detected by Nutian as yet another sign of latent manic-depression and was given a nice mental thwack. While she was the "demon" after all, she did provide the crucial service of nipping self-pity in the bud.

Slowly, trying not to appeared as terrified as he was Raziel inched up to the door, and, with trembling hand, knocked.

26. - Top - End - #296

After a few tense moments, a bolt slides back and the door swings inward, revealing Laurel.
    "Raziel! Orchid! Do come in." she cries, a big smile on her face as she steps aside and motions to the sparse entryway. The scourge seems genuinely happy to see them.
    Clearly, she is not near the window where the Lunars are gathering.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2011-02-21 at 05:06 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid nods; pausing just long enough for Raziel to follow. Nothing to check, and Laurel seems friendly; He doesn't believe it, but if he can't keep an open mind even for her... He keeps repeating it, keep an open mind, keep an open mind.
    She hasn't said anything yet, really, why does she rub him the wrong way so badly?

28. - Top - End - #298

Because Orchid is an evil Infernal? Because Laurel is kind of annoying? Because he's nervous about the felonies about to be committed? Could be anything.
    "So what brings you to o-my humble home? And are your ...friends about? I should like to see certain of them again." the Scourge adds, eyes wide with excitement.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2011-02-22 at 12:54 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Don't say anything, she's trying to psych you out, don't say anything...

Corona, could you be on standby here? I don't think I have the social skills to talk my way through alone.

Sure. Just don't expect me to help out the Defiler if he wants her to join us.

...The Defiler has a name, you know...

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid does indeed have a name, though he has no reason to say it right now, being only aware of his own head.

Raziel's not talking. I think I'm going to have to do it for a while. If you can spare the attention, tell me if you notice anything Laurel says that sounds like a relevant double-meaning. Traps come first though.

That out of the way, after the brief, awkward pause, Orchid nods politely to Laurel, and says, "We're just here to talk, Laurel. About those new friends of ours, in fact, and you."
    He looks around the entryway; he wouldn't expect Laurel to be living in opulence, of course, but it gives him something to look at as he speaks.
    "We were walking to the Dragonblood's house for a few things, but when we arrived we rather quickly found his cook dead. Turned to stone, in fact, looked like basalt." A brief pause. "And so we're here to ask if you had anything to do with it, and why, exactly, that happened. Actually, that's not true; we're fairly sure you were involved for other reasons, but I'll need to know why that happened before I explain the rest of the story." Orchid smiles slightly, turning back to watch Laurel, but it makes next to no impact upon his serious, even tone. You would hardly know that he's discussing a murder, if it weren't for the slow clenching of his right hand until his knuckles became white. Somewhere inside there's a lot of fury, red-hot and impatient, pushed down but still slowly escaping to the surface.
    "We can move somewhere more comfortable and chat, if you want to consider for a bit. There is a little time to spare, but not too much."...Since however quick Pyrus and Drake are, they could probably use a minute or two to prepare, so he should stall until they start it themselves, rather than have to shout for it.