New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 52 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A Dream of Quiet (IC)

"<Honestly, yeah. I hate slavery - probably as much as you do, Amelia, to be honest, it goes against everything I am - but trying to change things by force generally means revolts, unrest, and bloodshed. Societies tend to resist big changes that are forced on them, and do so really, really hard and violently. I'm not willing to trade people being slaves for people being killed in the streets>"

That doesn't mean I don't occasionally kick slavers in the nuts, of course, he thinks to himself. Having the power to get forgotten is annoying in general, but can be useful. People are so careless with keys sometimes...

"<Basically, before we try to abolish slavery, first we need to start by making enough reforms that it'll be feasible enough that most people won't feel threatened by it - generally, people take ideas better if those ideas don't threaten to screw up their welfare, because most people are selfish first. If we could get some semblance of a concept of equality on anyone's head in this whole goddamn world would help, as well>" he adds, rolling his eyes. The whole "everyone who can't beat you is your inferior" thing is so damn encroached in Creation's mindset that it'll be hard. "<And you can't do it too quick, because trying to make societies evolve too fast usually ends up with those societies imploding. It's basically like juggling chainsaws while blindfolded if the chainsaws were angry and wanted better salaries>"

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"<I...agree.

"<I'm enough of a history buff to know that sweeping changes like that tend to start wars. Although, we should also get rid of trade with Skullstone. They're far enough away to the point that it's not going to be an issue.>

"<..Does Gem trade with Skullstone? I'm not sure.>"
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

"<I suspect that Gem trades with more or less everywhere in the end - I haven't had time for the proper research of this, but I would theorize that renting Realm ships is part of what the Despot agrees to in order to mostly keep the Realm from interfering with Gem. As far as working with the Guild, though... I...>"
    The conflict between Orchid's Urge, his solemn responsibility, and his hatred of the Guild is clear on his face... But ultimately brief.
    I suppose it would be naive to think that I could be chosen by my own Creators to free them from madness and exile, and yet think that I wouldn't have to let go of my grudges. But I'll keep an eye out for a way to avenge my parents...

"<I loathe the Guild. I have my reasons, but that is the result. However, I also have more important things to worry about than my own hatreds. I think I can make compromises with all of you, so I'd be glad to see us as a group if you're all willing to challenge the Realm when the time comes, and to avoid killing. Violence, maybe, but Creation has enough death as it is. There are usually other options, so we can try those first. And I'll be happy indeed to work against slavery once we can, especially since we can sabotage the Guild by doing it. But any societal changes we make will probably go much easier if we have the ear of the Despot, and we can achieve that by helping him oppose Laurel, so I see no downside. I hope that with leverage we'll be able to get Laurel to make compromises too.>"

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"<And that's why cutting off trade with Skullstone is such a good idea for the world at large.>

"<Less money for the Silver Prince to kill the world.>"

There is a certain amount of darkness over his face as he says this-as if he knows this for a fact, and he's seen the horrors firsthand.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Troll in the Playground

Pyrus listens carefully. <"I think our best choice then is to present ourselves as another mercenary unit for him to hire. We let our skill speak for itself, soon enough the Despot will want us close at hand to protect and advise him. Our first priority should be to at least have some say in how this city is protected, once we have that we can start serious preparations for whatever they're planning on doing. Anything else we may or may not do comes after that.">
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with that. So, when do you think you can get our little group in with the Despot?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

7. - Top - End - #517
    Troll in the Playground

<"The Realm endeavors to teach Children of Hesiesh patience and restraint. I always did take to my lessons poorly. If anyone wants to come along, they're welcome to."> He gets up and grabs his lance.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Delay
    "<We should at least set up a common story first. For one thing, there's a good chance that the Despot can spot Amelia's Tell, or at least has someone nearby who can. He probably doesn't know what it means, but what's our excuse?>"

"<In short, if you want to go and talk to the Despot right now, let's at least make sure we have something believable to say by the time we get there. Also, Raziel knows the way back better, doesn't he?>"

Nevertheless, Orchid has stood up. There's a whirlwind of possible excuses for his charms in his head, and he can think while he walks. Dealing with Amelia, and possibly Wing, may be harder...

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"<Agreed.>

<"We aren't epic fantasy villains, where we can just waltz in and then take over through vague, undefined means. Not yet, anyway.>

<"More likely we should start a cover story about why a ragtag bunch of misfits and their pet demon aren't coming in to assasinate him for the glory of the Realm/another house/Chirascro/Zodhan the Unbounceable. Maybe I'm a sorcerer, and Beheris is one of those in a series of demons that I find easier to control.>

<"Come to think of it...I really need to internalize a Sorcerous Enlightenment, don't I....">

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Say that she's some sort of god-blooded. They often can have oddities about them. Though...it might be a good idea to keep a bit in reserve. Like, not announcing that we have demons on the payroll just yet. And, I could always take on one of my other shapes; play the part of one of your familiars, or something.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

"<Yeah, seems a smart thing to do>" the sidereal nods.

"<Remember, though - far as everyone cares, Sparrow's just Pyrus's assistant and entertainer. Nobody particularly special except for having good fingers on an instrument and being pretty smart and stuff. I'm not kidding, here - the Sparrow disguise has a bit of magical theater mojo backing it as just a mortal wisecracking performer and jester, and the backlash for breaking character is a bitch. I might need a new character...> Drake adds, getting up.

"<Anyway, before we go, you people still interested in the guardian ritual thing I offered? I think I can stretch it to everyone, and it'd give me warning if any of you is attacked no matter when or where, which should be good in case Laurel catches any of us separate from the group. Comes with a some mental defense buffs, as well, parallel processing kind of deal, and a touch of Sidereal essence that helps with martial arts. I'm still working on the strike that punches mind control away from my wards, though - bit hard to visualize both the face of the emitter and the words and strike both at the same time, you know>" Drake says, grinning jokingly.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

<"I don't think our cover story needs to be all that extensive, unless we run into another educated Dynast or a Sidereal, the Despot won't have anyone on hand that can really define the difference between demons, elementals, god-bloods, exalts, and lesser divinities. We can claim to be just about anything, who could say we're lying? Maybe a thaumaturge or Dragon-blood sorcerer he has at hand, but if they're smart enough to say what we are, they're smart enough to know what we might do if challenged.">

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

"<The Despot makes a point of hiring competent Dragon-Blooded... and if a thaumaturge found out, I'd rather they challenged us. Arguments we can counter with arguments. If he manages to spread uncertainty we can't counter, it'll only hinder us. But I do agree that god-blooded are so variable that it won't be hard to make a cover story.>"
    "<But, I suppose I must admit that you are right. If we don't give conclusive proof, then by the time we're found out, we would have wanted to reveal ourselves to the Despot on our own terms anyway. Shall we go, then?>"
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-06-16 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Got cut in half; just noticed.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Firbolg in the Playground

With only a short delay to enact questionable Sidereal rituals, the Exalted set off for the Despot's palace, ironing out the details of their cover during the exhausting, blindfolded walk back the way they came.

The longer hours of the night wear on as they re-enter the city proper, the busy afternoon of a society in reasonable climes. The city is busy, but if there are any lurking monsters or spying Infernals in the crowds, there is nothing to reveal them.

The Despot does indeed make a point of hiring Dragonblooded, and indeed powered individuals of all types, and one Cathak Pyrus, known by default to the city of Gem as an upstanding citizen, and company, are shortly admitted for an audience.

Spoiler
    Show
    If they have anything to have done on the way over or right now before the guards open the impressive Great Hall doors, it should be mentioned.

And I personally feel like they should have a group name, but can find no logic to support that.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

Pyrus pushes the doors wide as soon as the guards start to open them. "Despot, it's been to long! I'd invite you to dinner sometime but my cook up and died on me today. But enough of that, I have wonderful news! You're going to hire me to help protect your city." Does Pyrus really have such a cordial relationship with the city's ruler? Possibly, but unlikely. But no Dynast worthy of being called such would bow and scrape to some provincial king, no matter how rich he was. But Pyrus was no fool, he did bother to have a look around and see who the Despot kept in close company.

Charisma+Socialize, for the entrance: 2 successes
    Wits+Awareness, to see what's about: 3 successes
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2011-06-17 at 04:56 AM.

16. - Top - End - #526

Apart from the heavily armed personal guardsmen flanking the throne, the room contains an old man with a long beard standing slightly behind the Despot's place, a young woman in a jester's outfit, a man with a variety of cases for rolled maps, and a grizzled mercenary commander wearing a blue griffon logo.
    Needless to say, everything in the room is looming and ornate, made of the highest quality, and festooned with gems. Halls lead to each side at the back of the room, and there are certainly secret exits somewhere about.

The Despot nods at the mercenary and man with the maps to the left, and they politely retreat down the hall. Rankar looks the group over, his eyes in a hard glare but a slight smile on his face.
    "Cathak Pyrus; it has, do come in. For your cook you are forgiven. It can be hard to get good help sometime. Now, tell me about your companions and what you're protecting us from, and we'll see about hiring you."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

Guards: Chumps.

Griffin guy: Infant.

Map guy: Useful but harmless.

Old man: Possible godlike martial artist.

Jester girl: Avoid at all costs.

Being dangerously genre savvy: priceless.

"I have the fortune of having quite a few godbloods and lesser divinities as friends these days, and you've never seen anything like them. But they're a greedy bunch, I've heard it mentioned a few times that they might be better off hiring out to Paragon or some raider crew. Best get them now while you can."

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

As for Drake, he's staying in the background, looking like nothing more than a powerless assistant and confidante to Pyrus, and one that's a bit nervous about all the pomp around. Thankfully the Destiny lends some extra teeth to the disguise (and the Lion Mouse Stratagem he donned before coming in makes him seem unthreatening and overlookable), because he really doesn't want to get pegged as an important person.

Still, he does quietly analyze the people around, turning on Lotus Eye Tactics to scan the room for Martial Arts ability (since he's reached about the same conclusion about the old guy as Pyrus).
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-06-20 at 07:49 AM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

From the beshackled amateur actor, finally happy to play the "villain" for once, there was a bit of grumbling.

"Hmph. You say that as if I had a choice in the matter, oh benficient master."

He opened his mouth for (what was supposedly) an even more mean-spirited remark, but is cut off by a rather large jerk of the chains connecting him to Pyrus.
    Last edited by Leliel; 2011-06-22 at 08:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #530

Rankar laughs at that. "Haha! That's the most transparent lie I've been told in quite a long time. You're hired. But again, the city's protection is well in hand these days. Given your lack of an emergency to report, you have no objections to slightly different tasks?" It's not really a question.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #531
    Troll in the Playground

Pyrus gives him a look that's half amusement, half smugness, with a slight touch of patronizing the Despot might not see. "Rankar, you're to smart to try and give me orders. But you're also smart enough to know I have the city's best interests at heart. To keep the mines operating, to keep you in power, and to maintain the status quo. Isn't that why you hire mercenaries in the first place, to keep things as they are? I like things the way they are here, and I find myself in a position to contribute to keeping them that way. Besides, it never hurts to have another friend in the Realm, does it?"

22. - Top - End - #532

"Pyrus, I hope you're smart enough not to think you're in charge here. Yes, you and your band will be useful to the city's interests. That's why I'll be paying you. That fact doesn't give you free reign to ignore me. Your nature and skills will see you highly placed here. Just remember who is the ruler, and who is the hired specialist, and we will all do well."
    "And between friends, I hope you've noticed that the Realm's favor is meaning less and less these days."
    Rankar gives an amused helpless shrug.
    "Now, should any of you have real ideas about helping the city, I would be delighted to hear them." The sarcastic dragging of his voice makes it obvious that he doesn't expect anything much.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #533
    Troll in the Playground

"Ignore you? I would never do anything so rude to a friend. As for what I can do... Rankar, how does the idea of instant long-distance communication between your commanders and the palace sound to you? The ability to give orders to your men as distant as, say, the mines, but be able to speak to them as if they were in the same room? And for them to speak to you in turn. Your knowledge of events in your domain would be unmatched throughout Creation."

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

Wing hadn't intended to speak up, but as Pryus kept talking he became more and more uncomfortable. The pitch was good, yes, but in some ways it was too good. Promising things that the group had simply theorized, building unreal expectation. Too much, too soon. So he breaks in.

Putting his hand on Pyrus's shoulder, he speaks his native english in hushed undertones."Careful, Pyrus. Don't promise what we can't deliver."

Letting his hand drop back to his side, he then talks directly to the leaders of the city in fire-tongue. "There are threats. Ones you need to be aware of, too. A, well, a demon worshiper, with some power, is moving against the city. From what we discovered just recently, she has some sort of movement working inside the city."
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #535

"Unmatched except by your band and House Cathak, you mean. The idea still sounds quite well. I would set you to work creating such, except..."
    The Despot's expression instantly becomes serious.
    "A demonist movement subtle enough not to have been found at all, and strong enough to threaten our fair city? From where has such a powerful foe come? Unless you have greater hidden threats to reveal, for which I and the city thank you, tell me about this demon-worshiper, and any other of your ideas."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2011-06-28 at 05:39 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"BAH! What are you, to play at the minds of rightful rulers of Creation, puny mortal? A plague be upon your-URK!"

He peeled himself off the floor, dusting off his manacles.

"Hmph. If you must know, there's enough of a correspondence between the desert and Cecelyne for them to travel here easily. There's only a couple as of yet, but I know my great-grandparents well enough to realize there will be more if they find this city to their liking."
    Last edited by Leliel; 2011-06-29 at 10:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

As for Drake, he's acting the "sycophant fool under the Dynast's service" role admirably, actin distracted and dumb and nodding at Pyrus. Inwardly, he really rather wants to intervene, but he's layered "do not notice me" effects for a reason.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

"We don't know where she came from, but she is powerful. I was meeting Orchid and Amelia, and they were introducing me to Pyrus. She was spying on us, and when we confronted her, she only let slip a bit. She wants to either destroy Gem, or bring it under the demon's heel, and from the sound of it she's not particular about either one.

As for how we know she's powerful...she turned Pyrus's cook to stone, apparently as a warning. And when we tried to track her down, we weren't able to find her. Instead, we found someone who professed to be part of her, well, organization.

So, yes, we think she is a threat, maybe even a grave one."

Spoiler
    Show
    monologue(Social aim) action.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2011-06-30 at 11:21 PM.
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid steps forward again, impassive face showing no stress as he adjusts his savant's robes. He can talk more with the Despot about communications - and how to implement them - later. For now, it appears the focus is the be Laurel, and it is a good chance to learn what the Despot has at his command, and what he wants to protect.
    Orchid gathers up some of the awe of his patron; he's already seen everything the Despot has offered, but compared to the ideas and essence just one of the six in front of the Despot holds, all the splendor of the room is so much tin and glass. The Despot ought to be in awe of the forces before him, and Orchid knows it even if the Despot doesn't - yet.

"There are more assumptions that can be made, but unfortunately we lack the resources and, especially, the experience to deal with her cult and organization, since we didn't find her personally. And we also lack your priorities; we may have the knowledge of the threat, but we don't have the knowledge of Gem itself yet. What will need protection first, and how shall we assist, if you need us?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma+Investigation, (6d10)[6][2][7][1][5][5](26)+any stunt dice
    Appearance 5 (trying to impress, not seduce, but Appearance is weird that way), and any intimacies or virtues I might have accidentally stumbled upon.
    The Despot has already admitted that we might have some importance, so Orchid is trying to see if the Despot has plans for us... and maybe try to see what the Despot thinks needs protection in Gem from demonic forces. His motives in the latter are partly pure, but also he IS 'demonic forces.'

30. - Top - End - #540

The Despot listens quietly, tapping his fingers together in thought. "If they plan bring the city down quickly, they will try to take the reservoirs and remove the hired sorcerers and magicians throughout the city. The reservoirs and water caravans are well protected for this reason, but if the danger is as severe as I have heard," a nod in Wing's direction, "even given that I will increase the guard, it may not be enough. The mining camps are also likely in danger. You-tell me, could she threaten the Lap? If she means to carry a slower war of ideas, until one day there is nothing between this movement and control of the city but a few nobles, guards and myself, it is good; we will have more time."

"You cannot guard our water at all times. A few token appearances to give the impression of greater strength and delay them is all I wish you to achieve there. Your band has found one member of this cult, you must seek and find the rest, before they are ready to move against us. I had laughed when you told me about the cook, but if it was murder, in your household...I do not need to explain, I hope. I will commit the men that I can to help the investigation; understand that this is the first hint that has reached me of a demonic conspiracy."

Spoiler
    Show

Success on the investigation. Persuading the ruler to let you help protect the city is relatively easy.
    (7d10)[9][1][3][5][3][9][10](40) by appearance 3 in what I believe is oration Performance, to convince the group that they need to actively hunt down Laurel's cult.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine