New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Captain's Log 01: I purchased Pikmin.

Uh, yeah, what it says on the title. I had to return some non-functional games I ordered from EB game's buy 2 get 1 free sale last month, my local store(s) lacked the games I wanted, so I got some different ones (I wanted Eternal Darkness and Custom Robo, but I'll settle for MGS3:S and Pikmin, Okami PS2 did work).

Any advice for a first time player? Is there a recommend pace and order for getting all the parts on a first place?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2011-02-06 at 11:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Captain's Log 01: I purchased Pikmin.

If it's the original Pikmin, then just follow the suggested ingame route and you should be fine.

Once you get access to all the different colours of pikmin, then you can go back and start picking up the missing pieces. The game is intended for younger players, so it's not that difficult - I cleared it on my first attempt without any guides in 28-ish days, so 2 days to spare.

Pikmin 2 has no time limit, so just enjoy the game and take it at your own pace.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, will do that then.

Yes, it's Pikmin one for the GCN.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

If you want to actually finish, then focus on getting more than one piece a day. Otherwise you'll have lots of trouble later on. And make sure you can find the Radar first thing.

That's if you're the type who doesn't like to follow strategy guides and want to play the game on your own. If you do want to "cheat" (some people call it cheating) and be told beforehand:

Spoiler
    Show
    The following parts are not needed to leave the planet:

Nova Blaster
    Space Float
    Massage Machine
    UV Lamp
    The Secret Safe

This means the other 25 are necessary to escape.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2011-02-07 at 12:39 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

It's true; getting two pieces per day should be your goal, so that later on, when a piece is proving tricky, you have some leeway. Also, it's sometimes necesarry to devote a day to restocking blues/yellows. (As noncombatants, they not only die faster, but they also generally don't get many kills to bring back.)
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Also, save after every productive day and if a day turns out to be a total blowout (ie: little to no progress) then don't be afraid to reset and try again.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sipex View Post
    Also, save after every productive day and if a day turns out to be a total blowout (ie: little to no progress) then don't be afraid to reset and try again.
    Well I figured that out on my own

Is it normal to only have time to get one part+yellow pikmin access on day 2?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    It's been a while since I've played, but I think it's expected that you start slow and get faster. It takes a while to build up a Pikmin horde. The main thing is to average at least slightly more than one part per day, so you've got a few days to spare if you get stuck on one of the harder parts.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Well I figured that out on my own

Hey, to be fair, a lot of gamers don't know this lesson at first so I had to make sure.

Also, yeah, you start out slower at first until you get used to the stages and have the pikmin needed to get multiple things done at one time.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, pikmin... One of my favorite games. Yellow pikmin are mostly useless without bomb-rocks. Though they are handy for getting to high places. My main tactic with them is to use them as sacrificial bombers on things that would normally take way to many Reds to kill. Just get a pair of bomb-holders eaten and that is usually enough to cause major damage.

Reds, Are fireproof, tough,and do a lot of damage... yet have a stupid tendency to run into water trying to follow you.

Blues can act as life guards, whenever I had a whole lot of the other colors moving around near water, I'd line the water on the path with blues.

And finally every victory needs a near the end of the day have 4 of your pikmin carry you to the onion, where they will make FIREWORKS!

Anyway I'd recommend a whole day to pikmin development, two if you can spare them. But for that You need to get way ahead on part finding. And you should always make those population expansion days count. If you do take the two day route. Leave the pikmin from the first day in the ground till the second day. They will grow flowers, though you should probably test this as I haven't played in a while.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Wait what? They'll carry you to the onion?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

One of the buttons on the d-pad makes olimar lay down and four pikmin will carry him to the onion. Which shoots out fireworks. Don't do it if you have a lot of pikmin with you in the field, because the ones not carrying you will be dismissed and left out in the field.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.