New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Epic arena battle

I'm running an epic campaign and my players have gotten themselves into a bit of a situation. They need to fight in an arena for 3 rounds to get information if they survive. The players are all level 22 and there is a heavily optimized shadowbane inquisitor 10/rogue 3/paladin 9, a mystic spell thief, a diviner, a rogue, and a cleric. I was gonna throw a Chichimec at them for the last round, but I could use some ideas of challenging monster for the first two. Assume that the arena's owner can get his hands on pretty much anything.
    Last edited by pyroman; 2011-04-23 at 01:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Epic arena battle

Dragons. Multiple.

Avoid using just one monster, as the action economy will swiftly overwhelm it.

Anything with spellcasting to rival the PC's, to be honest. Most of the high CR monsters are just beatsticks, which melt like crayons under a blowtorch against PC casters.
    Last edited by TroubleBrewing; 2011-04-23 at 01:39 PM.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks. My group has been having scheduling problems, so its pretty unlikely that all of them will be fighting. If they do all fight, they've already decided to fight in pairs one at a time.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

I've always liked Phanes, though how to keep one in captivity (Epic Ward "Temporal Lock"?) is another matter entirely. Solar is iconic and if the PCs aren't goody two shoes (or if it's evil or a replica or w/e), would work. Titan is kinda amusing too, tho sorta squishy compared to Solar with no real spellcasting to speak of. Infernals are always a good choice, too. Devastation Vermins are always an option (would make sense in an arena); they aren't terribly tough but they have big numbers so they can give the players something to play around with and find some alternative means of dealing with them. And yeah, Dragons offer fun way into epics.

Of course, some high-leveled Illithid (or in general, monster that scales with levels; something normally minor like a Choker could be a fun choice for posterity) could be interesting or maybe offer them a curbstomp to remind them that they are, indeed, among the most badass 0.0001% of the world's population.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2011-04-23 at 07:51 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Round 1: "And the doors of the arena kennels open to reveal tall, grey skinned men with what appear to be squids for faces. There are ten in plain view, and even more may hide in the darkness."
    Round 2: Do epic level summoner necromancers count?
    MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!

My PF Homebrew: Poisoner & Poisons, Fighter Fix, Monk 2.0, Wild Mage
    Campaign Setting: Heroica

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

@Eladriel: the arena's owner is a phane (with some homebrewed modifications such as the ability to take human form). The party already had a rather one-sided fight with him and got their asses kicked, mostly because they were only able to hit with about a third of their attacks >:D (evil face)
    Last edited by pyroman; 2011-04-23 at 08:59 PM. Reason: misspelled