The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default [3.5] Becoming humanoid again?

I'm working up a goblin character. Goblins are normally pretty weak (Challenge Rating 1/3), so I thought I'd add the Feral template (Savage Species) for +1 LA. That works out pretty well, but it changes the type from Humanoid (goblinoid) to Monstrous Humanoid (goblinoid). How can I get back to Humanoid (goblinoid) permanently?

In case you're wondering, the Darguun Mauler feat (Races of Eberron) requires that exact type and subtype. I'm still set for entry into Stonedeath Assassin (Races of Stone) with just the subtype, but I'd really like to take Darguun Mauler plus a couple other humanoid-only feats.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Becoming humanoid again?

Humanoid is on the bottom of the type pyramid. There isn't anything short of Polymorph Any Object that will give you the type back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Humanoid is on the bottom of the type pyramid. There isn't anything short of Polymorph Any Object that will give you the type back.
    Not quite, you just need things that explicitly ignore the type pyramid.

The usual Incarnate Construct trick should work here: make yourself into a construct with Dustform, then Incarnate Construct will take you to humanoid.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

4. - Top - End - #4

But you lose the Goblinoid subtype, don't you? Does dustform let you keep it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But you lose the Goblinoid subtype, don't you? Does dustform let you keep it?
    Neither Dustform nor Incarnate Construct says it affects subtypes. Unless there's a more general rule that says they would?

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I guess that +2/-2 (minimum 0) LA trick would work. I'll be losing 10' of speed from my air goblin and there'll be some alignment whiplash:
    Usually neutral evil -> Always neutral -> Usually neutral
    For the most part this looks like a wash, which is what you'd expect for LA +0.

Anyway, this looks like a cheaper alternative than relying on the Savage Species recommendation to use Wish to change type (page 150). I'll already be losing out on all the monster HD-only features of Feral; I really don't want to pay 26,530 gp (and of course wait until a level where I've got that amount of cash) for the privilege.

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

Can Savage Species Rituals give one back the Goblinoid subtype if it's lost?

Otherwise it could be used as an example to homebrew up a cost for doing so...

Couldn't remember if it was subtypes or just types that were covered in those rituals.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-12-25 at 03:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yes, the Ritual of Association (Savage Species, page 148) can give (back) a subtype.

I've worked through the consequences of Feral -> Dustform -> Incarnate Construct, and it's not really what I'd hoped for. The problem is that Incarnate Construct removes all special attacks and special qualities the creature had previously. So no darkvision or fast healing (increasing with HD) from Feral (nor darkvision from air goblin ─ I've lost that twice ), which is mostly why I wanted that template.

On the other hand, Incarnate Construct generates average scores for CON and INT. That means I can leave those at 8 each with point buy, skip over the Feral adjustments (a boost to CON, a suck to INT) and end up with values around 12 for those two abilities. So this 3-part template combination will trade the special abilities from Feral for better stats. (Since I'm not paying any points for CON or INT, I can make my 3 top ability scores 16 instead of 14. That's going to help with an inherently MAD character: Rogue/Shadowdancer/Stonedeath Assassin. I wasn't originally planning to dip into Shadowdancer, but now I need Shadowdancer 2 to regain darkvision. )

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

If this is for an actual game, I suggest asking your DM to just gloss over the explicit Humanoid requirement and be done with it. The "Humanoid (goblinoid)" requirement is really just a poor choice of words anyway. Drow Skirmisher, Mror Stalwart, and Talenta Warrior give basically the same benefit for other races without listing the Humanoid type in the requirements.
    SnakePirate avatar by CheesePirate

Running Emerald City Knights (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Translation: when Bahamut called "Dibs!" on your soul the devils sat back down, muttering under their breaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by TricksyAndFalse View Post
    4E Druids tap into the Primal Beast to wild shape. The Primal Beast cares not for your technicalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gametime View Post
    I think we can all agree that optimizing a Beholder Mage beyond being a Beholder Mage is safely in the realm of "overkill" to begin with.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nate the Snake View Post
    If this is for an actual game, I suggest asking your DM to just gloss over the explicit Humanoid requirement and be done with it.
    There are other Humanoid-only feats, though. I'm not going to ask for special dispensation from all such rules; it's just not in my nature. Besides, addressing problems like this is part of the challenge. In short: it's fun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    There are other Humanoid-only feats, though. I'm not going to ask for special dispensation from all such rules; it's just not in my nature. Besides, addressing problems like this is part of the challenge. In short: it's fun.
    I have to second this. Nate, if you hang around this forum long enough you'll begin to understand that Curmudgeon is the last person you'd want to suggest just fudging something to.

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

Huh, and here I'd thought humanoid only feats were so rare that it'd be once in a bluemoon that a build would want one of 'em.

What are the other humanoid only feats you're angling for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The one I'm most interested in is Aberration Blood (Lords of Madness, page 178) which can grant flexible limbs to a Humanoid. Next add Extended Reach (Savage Species, page 34), which grants +5' to reach if you have flexible body parts.

Then, remember that I also wanted Darguun Mauler (Races of Eberron, page 108) which lets a Humanoid (goblinoid) treat the spiked chain as a martial weapon, and maybe you'll see what I'm getting at.

I was originally planning to make a 1-level dip into Barbarian as the class which gets proficiency with all martial weapons, and go for the usual Spiritual Lion Totem option for pounce; Feral changes the character's favored class (normally Rogue for goblins) to Barbarian. But the template shenanigans to regain Humanoid type end with Incarnate Construct, making favored class Fighter. So that'll work as well, and either help with the character's feat requirements or I can go for the sneak attack Fighter variant.

Still in the works:
    • Decide whether to dip into Shadowdancer to regain darkvision. The character's looking too feat-starved to make that possible.
    • Must pick a class with sneak attack stacking language, because none of the three sources (Rogue, Stonedeath Assassin, variant Fighter) includes that yet. Without such, all of these sneak attacks would overlap rather than add together.
      • Nightsong Enforcer is a good choice (full BAB), but can't be entered before level 8.
      • Assassin/Stonedeath Assassin has a rather emphatic ring to it.
      • Master of Masks would work, but only while wearing the Assassin mask.
      • Justiciar of Taiia would fit the bill, but I'd have to figure out some use for the weapon bonus feat. Maybe Exotic Weapon Proficiency (great crossbow)?
      • Guild Thief would also work, but it's a 3.0 class so it would need DM review for any minor adjustments.
    I've got a lot of cramming to make these all fit into a level 10 character. Here's one possibility:
    1. Rogue 1: Poison Use ACF replaces trapfinding (Drow of the Underdark, page 58)
    2. Rogue 2
    3. Sneak attack Fighter 1; +1d6 sneak attack
    4. Rogue 3: Lightbringer Rogue Penetrating Strike ACF trades trap sense for sneak attack with normal dice against sneak-immune foes you flank (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, page 208)
    5. Rogue 4
    6. Stonedeath Assassin 1; trapfinding
    7. Justiciar of Taiia 1; Exotic Weapon Proficiency (great crossbow); +1d6 sneak attack
    8. Stonedeath Assassin 2; +1d6 sneak attack
    9. Rogue 5; +3d6 sneak attack
    10. LA +1 (I'll buy this off at character level 3, but I'll still be starting 3,000 XP behind the others at level 10.)
    That's a total of +6d6+9 sneak attack damage, which is decent for 9 character levels.

Feats (assuming 2 flaws)
    1: Education (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 52): all Knowledges are class skills
    1: Aberration Blood
    1: Extended Reach
    3: Darguun Mauler: gain proficiency with spiked chain, bonus to attacks
    6: Craven (Champions of Ruin, page 17): +1/character level to sneak attack
    9: Knowledge Devotion (Complete Champion, page 60): bonuses to attack and damage based on Knowledge checks