New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1505
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OotS Style Art/Fanart Showcase IV

I push shift to change line colour.
    I also have the shortcut for the dropper bound to a button on my mouse. (Since I normally can't see it in the toolbox due to screen size)

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

I think most of my avatars would take about 5 parts to film.

And three of those parts would be just me rubbing out random things and drawing them again.

Could you possible share said links to free programs, by any chance? I wanna try this one out too. >.>
    Make ALL the people sit through 10 minutes worth of drawing the torso over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ogre in the Playground

What I recorded with:
    http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html
    (beware of the other programs it want to attach, at least I didn't fare well with using them )

What I stitched it together/edited with and increased frame-rate with:
    http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

What I added music with and text (since my computer was too weak to use the previous one for that).
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live...er-get-started
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2012-03-20 at 05:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Bugbear in the Playground

Many thanks.

Do you think it is possible to "stitched it together/edited with and increased frame-rate" with just Windows Movie Maker? I know you can stitch it together but can you increase frame-rate?
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, having watched the first part of your video, what I find most insteresting is the obsessive amount of tweaking you do. But that's probably more of a program thing than anything. I can't do that thing you do where you draw three straight lines and then mold it into a skirt. I have to draw a completed skirt, and then probably redraw it when the first try didn't go so well.

Also the amount of stuff on your workspace/preparation beforehand. Generally I'll have one, maybe two references (especially if I'm doing a rehash of an old avatar, or making an avatar for someone who already has avatars, in which case I'll have some of the previous ones to stare at). If I'm feeling adventurous with the pose or whatever, I'll sketch it out with the paintbrush beforehand, but otherwise, I'm starting from a blank page. No sketches for me.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Knight View Post
    Many thanks.

Do you think it is possible to "stitched it together/edited with and increased frame-rate" with just Windows Movie Maker? I know you can stitch it together but can you increase frame-rate?
    Certainly, I think I even saw an option for it in the Windows Live version, but since it didn't load the file I made on an earlier avatar (with a different program) I didn't trust it. ^^
    I think it was in the export options.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    Okay, having watched the first part of your video, what I find most insteresting is the obsessive amount of tweaking you do. But that's probably more of a program thing than anything. I can't do that thing you do where you draw three straight lines and then mold it into a skirt. I have to draw a completed skirt, and then probably redraw it when the first try didn't go so well.

Also the amount of stuff on your workspace/preparation beforehand. Generally I'll have one, maybe two references (especially if I'm doing a rehash of an old avatar, or making an avatar for someone who already has avatars, in which case I'll have some of the previous ones to stare at). If I'm feeling adventurous with the pose or whatever, I'll sketch it out with the paintbrush beforehand, but otherwise, I'm starting from a blank page. No sketches for me.
    I had quite a lot of stuff this time round since I hadn't decided on clothing, usually I only have my sketch (with clothing already drawn) and a colour reference image.
    (and I didn't want to switch out of the program while recording just to take a quick peek at something, so what wasn't on there from the start wouldn't be there at all for me)
    And the tweaking is what have made me sketch beforehand since I'm so utterly inefficient at drawing more complex structures right into the program. ^^
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2012-03-20 at 05:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground

Second half of video complete.

Random thoughts:

HAHAHA crash! How often must you save, a crash like that would have set me back at least half an hour if not the whole avatar ((>.>)), not two boot buckles.

There's a definite cap on the level of detail I can include compared to you. I wouldn't have attempted the sleeves/socks or the finer details on the boot.
    Though I would have stubbornly tried to put all six strings on the guitar. >.<
    I laughed out loud when you drew two strings and pulled six strings out to the peg, it's completely not what I would have done at all.

HOLY HELL LET'S JUST RESIZE THE WHOLE BODY UNTIL IT'S A SIZE THAT SUITS US. Yeah, I think it's safe to say I can't do that.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ogre in the Playground

Second half of video complete.

Random thoughts:

HAHAHA crash! How often must you save, a crash like that would have set me back at least half an hour if not the whole avatar ((>.>)), not two boot buckles.
    After you lose your first major work due to a crash you either:
    1. Stop drawing in frustration.
    2. Continue to draw and lose a lot more works.
    3. Adapt the finger-twitch ctrl+s after every 3 strokes. (or apply the autosaver which I don't like since it laggs my computer and saves only every 5-10 minutes sort of)

There's a definite cap on the level of detail I can include compared to you. I wouldn't have attempted the sleeves/socks or the finer details on the boot.
    Though I would have stubbornly tried to put all six strings on the guitar. >.<
    I laughed out loud when you drew two strings and pulled six strings out to the peg, it's completely not what I would have done at all.
    The details you mention are over the top for an avatar and only make it cluttered (except perhaps for the arm-socks-thingies), so that's a good thing I think!
    (but it looks sweeter in a higher resolution )

I was about to put all the strings on too but realized that even 2 would probably be too much - so I thought none would notice if I cheated a bit.

HOLY HELL LET'S JUST RESIZE THE WHOLE BODY UNTIL IT'S A SIZE THAT SUITS US. Yeah, I think it's safe to say I can't do that.
    I must say that I actually laughed at this, it is a convenient tool when I draw free-style.
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2012-03-20 at 05:41 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

Options -> record -> screen capture -> highlight mouse.
    Remove recording from the mic in the "devices" tab when you're at it (if you don't want that lugging down your file-size)

Edit: A ninja deleter! I suppose we shall never know the name of who brought forward the question of removing the highlight around the cursor.
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2012-03-20 at 06:06 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't bother with checking proportions and things (like you did with the head). I just sorta eyeball them and go 'close enough' and promptly ignore it.

@^: Indeed! We shall never know the name of the total rube who randomly asked a stupid question, then figured it out within like three seconds of experimentation!

>.>

Thanks for the microphone tip, though. No one needs to hear the whining drone of my fan, punctuated by my sick sniffling, and random humming.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2012-03-20 at 06:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ogre in the Playground

It works most of the time, but I was fishing after an argument to reduce it to better fit the avatar-size. ^^
    (I was looking at the height-width measurements in the program before I did that)

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Troll in the Playground

Videos really ? what next, broadcast in front of a live audience ?

Nice details on the guitar but so completly lost on the finished version, halas.
    I have to say I like penciled sketch you use as base. and that's a whole lot of reference images.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-03-20 at 06:22 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Videos really ? what next, broadcast in front of a live audience ?

Nice details on the guitar but so completly lost on the finished version, halas.
    I have to say I like penciled sketch you use as base. and that's a whole lot of reference images.
    Live-broadcast? Hm, maybe that. But who'd like to stay and watch someone draw 1 avatar for 1 hour and 40 minutes?

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    Live-broadcast? Hm, maybe that. But who'd like to stay and watch someone draw 1 avatar for 1 hour and 40 minutes?
    To what account do I deposit to assist such event?
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-03-20 at 02:11 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't know any, perhaps we should start up a kickstarter-event to gather resources for live drawings by giantitp forumites?

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't know any, perhaps we should start up a kickstarter-event to gather resources for live drawings by giantitp forumites?
    Hmm, why can I already see what the capstone would be?
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

*looks up on screen*

Well, we are in his forum after all.

Nice to see you around btw.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ettin in the Playground

*looks up on screen*

Well, we are in his forum after all.

Nice to see you around btw.
    That wasn't what I was referring to...
    Considering he once said he did it over several days, and we are talking about a whole strip.
    I never left, just posted less. I decided running a balancing act between music, art, university, video games and life would be fun, and now seeing what it is like.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-03-20 at 05:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1249

I haven't tried making OOTS art in like three years. Behold, my first two attempts.
    and
    What do you think? Any good? Anything I could work on? Thanks for any and all replies.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Troll in the Playground

To what account do I deposit to assist such event?
    Just sens me a check to the 'Comitee of Artiststics Simians and Hominids' but since it's quite a mouthfull just put the initials. And don't bother with a set amount eithee, we'll uh ...calculate it to fit the cost of the event, yup.

@ Gnomish wanderer:
    The pose seems pretty stiff, too straight, particualry on the second one. OOts, aprticulary for feminne bosies, works better with curvy limbs to,indicate movement.
    ----------------

I generaly don't go for closeup on an avatar (if it doesn't look good on the small version then there there's no point.) but just for once, i feel I made a decent job on the details. Reference

(Yeah it's not OOts but it's not like there's a thread for non OOts avatars. art and craft showcase seems to ahve wandered off once again, sigh.)

I feel the pose could have been better though, not the most fascinating ever, and way too close from the reference. And there's something I don' tlike about the position of the right (his right) leg.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-03-21 at 03:29 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

21. - Top - End - #1251

Tsofu, how do you manage to keep near proper OotS proportions when you sketch them out on paper?

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ogre in the Playground

I imagine that just comes from having a good eye.

As for how to get a good eye? Templates. Use less of them. The less you use templates to judge sizes, the more you have to judge them yourself, and eventually, the better you'll be at it. Practice makes perfect, etc etc.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    I haven't tried making OOTS art in like three years. Behold, my first two attempts.
    ---
    What do you think? Any good? Anything I could work on? Thanks for any and all replies.
    As smuchmuch said, they're a bit stiff but not bad. The feet and legs could be moved slightly so it looks like they're standing on a plane rather than the toe and heel combo they do know.
    The devils horns are quite petite, if it wasn't the intention then you could increase their size to make them more obvious.

@smuchmuch, Nice although as you said the right leg looks a bit wrong. Is it the tattoos that make it look like the lower part of the leg is actually reaching into the picture?
    Tsofu, how do you manage to keep near proper OotS proportions when you sketch them out on paper?
    I imagine that just comes from having a good eye.

As for how to get a good eye? Templates. Use less of them. The less you use templates to judge sizes, the more you have to judge them yourself, and eventually, the better you'll be at it. Practice makes perfect, etc etc.
    I have glasses so I wouldn't claim having a good eye - but yeah what Kid Kris said. Although I've never used templates on paper.
    As long as you can draw a circle it is quite easy, the body is about the same length as the diameter of the head. Mark it out and work from there.

Edit:
    Added two new clips where I draw the character Shikako, the bassist. It is quite much the same as the earlier one with Sarina (both using sort of guitars), but if you like watching artists sweating while trying to put a bit perspective into a bass then this is for you!
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2012-03-21 at 04:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1254

Ok this is what I could come up with following the Tsofu method of sketching. scanning, and curve-pointing custom line size adjusting.

Me:

And it always comes out in low image quality.

I should start instead with pre-made characters, that should give a better indication if I've improved or gained any bit of skill in this. Or maybe I just suck at sketching in OotS-style. Ponder ponder ponder.
    Last edited by Teutonic Knight; 2012-03-22 at 12:26 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks quite neat to me, and I don't see any low quality about it (mind you, I do have glasses though).

What sort of improvement or skill is it that you seek btw?

Sketching has its purposes, for me it is for complicated avatars (ornate or "unique" clothing/props, movement, perspective) which would take me two eternities to make on the computer (and it would look worse). Drawing a standard avatar standing there usually don't require me to draw it before-hand (although I do it out of habit).
    My avatars tend to be crouching, kneeling or bending over in some fashion to squeeze a few extra pixels into them so I usually sketch them out since that comes under the movement/perspective clause.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been writing too much garbage and have neglected my drawing duties for a few months. So here's a thing.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2012-03-22 at 03:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok this is what I could come up with following the Tsofu method of sketching. scanning, and curve-pointing custom line size adjusting.

Me:

And it always comes out in low image quality.

I should start instead with pre-made characters, that should give a better indication if I've improved or gained any bit of skill in this. Or maybe I just suck at sketching in OotS-style. Ponder ponder ponder.
    It may be your monitor being analog or digital (analog looks clearer and colours are easier to distinguish, digital is a lot cleaner in many senses of vision, mainly anti-aliasing is more noticeable.).

Drawing real not-cosplaying people in OoTS Style normally doesn't yield spectacular results, since its based mainly in clothing and hair, both of which the standard human does not vary much from some basics (excluding certain groups of individuals and madmen/women). Hair also is hard to spruce up unless you go to anime style for a crutch and the OoTSize it.

Previously made characters are normally the test, if it looks better you've improved. I dropped pastel outlines after running Ribonis through it once.

Finally, what Tsofu said mainly, sketching is useful if you decide for it to have a purpose, it can be A->B, where you sketch to get better digital versions, or B->A where you sketch to gain practice in manual crafts, and do it before to see how digitally you would have liked it to come out. Or A<->B, were both skills augment simultaneously one thanks to the other, though it can require certain theoretical investments of time into drawing theory.

I sketch in animeish style to get better at it, and then I make a OoTS version of it by the side. Anime style forces me to abstract certain things and expressions, as well as give me a full view of posture and column flow, or gives me freedom to twist posture and make hair dynamic. Then OoTS forces me to further abstract elements and reduce it to the bare basics (which sometimes even then is too much detail). Then I scan.

Obviously I only do this for a certain number of avatars, and then its mainly in the interest of repositioning or studying posture. Otherwise it's reference simplification on screen, or template element adding (this last solution is now lost to me for good).

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    If you aren't satisfied with your end results, analyse what's behind them (or go to the Rate an Avatar at the SMBG and hope someone else notices). The main factors are Flow, Dynamism, Technique and Colouring.

Flow is how lines move around your image, how a cape trails off and twists in the air, and how straight lines cut flow. Dresden Codak blog had a great blog post about how flow works and can be used. Clothing can be made to flow, to add a sense of movement to it, or forced straight to clash with some flowing element like the hair.

Dynamism is related to posture and action. Where is it looking and what is it doing, but there are additional elements. Posture is mainly the nearest you'll get to anatomy in OoTS art, torso twisting, shoulder lowering, crouching, jumping. While it is severely simplified, there still is a spinal chord in your drawing, from where appendages will come off (arms, legs and head) and from which clothing will bend around. Action is also rather important, a still character looking to the front is great if you want to study the pieces, but not as a final avatar. 3/4 simulates some movement by itself, but it isn't enough by itself most of the times. Adding dynamism is changing elements away from standing still looking to the front, to fully explain it would take a whole book, but looking at still shots from manga, anime and action movies and analysing how things are bending, moving, and looking might help to simulate dynamism on a still image.

Technique is related to software, hardware and style.

Software is the least obvious one, but certain programs will nudge you toward certain tools. Paint has less tools than most programs, so some obvious things like layering for most are not there, forcing a different approach. Inkscape is full vector, it has certain presets, for once, lines are always formed in the middle of the stroke, softening lines is hard, and using tools apart from the basic ones is risky due to crashes. Fireworks auto-softens lines, and due to being raster/vector, when you zoom, you see vectors degenerate, despite this not happening if you scale them up, meaning you either work bigger, or zooming in is misleading, also, lines auto-soften, and path extrusion is a lot more specialized and command based than a simple click.

Hardware is one of the most noticeable ones in other styles and programs, but it mainly boils down to tablet or mouse, vectors favours the last, if you do backgrounds then things get weird.

Style, apart from it being OoTS, there are certain unofficial subschools, that mainly go from Cartoony to Realistic, and have internal subdivisions in terms of what is rendered and what implied (shading or no shading, detailed clothes or shapes, hair strands or hair mass, head to body proportions, body proportions themselves...).

Finally Colouring, it mainly goes with colour theory or an unnoticed understanding of it, going on and on about colour would take a rather long while, and this post is already massive, but it mainly is about saturation preferences and combinations of hue and contrast, and vibrancy, and on and on.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-03-22 at 05:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ogre in the Playground

Added two new clips where I draw the character Shikako, the bassist. It is quite much the same as the earlier one with Sarina (both using sort of guitars), but if you like watching artists sweating while trying to put a bit perspective into a bass then this is for you!
    The program I use is quite awesome in this regard, in that it has a 'tilt/rotate layer' tool. Whenever I need to draw something in perspective that way, I just draw it flat, tilt it backwards the appropriate angle, and then redraw over it (so the line weights are consistent).

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Love the videos, Elder Tsofu! It's interesting to see how other people work

One question: you seem to be able to duplicate objects and have them stay right on top of the original; how do you do it? The only way I've found is to copy-paste and then manually adjust it until it's as close to exactly over the original as I can get, which is a pain.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    I've been writing too much garbage and have neglected my drawing duties for a few months. So here's a thing.
    Nice composition.

Quote Originally Posted by araveugnitsuga View Post
    ---
    Woha, that was quite a detailed answer. ^^

The program I use is quite awesome in this regard, in that it has a 'tilt/rotate layer' tool. Whenever I need to draw something in perspective that way, I just draw it flat, tilt it backwards the appropriate angle, and then redraw over it (so the line weights are consistent).
    Lucky you.

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    Love the videos, Elder Tsofu! It's interesting to see how other people work

One question: you seem to be able to duplicate objects and have them stay right on top of the original; how do you do it? The only way I've found is to copy-paste and then manually adjust it until it's as close to exactly over the original as I can get, which is a pain.
    The duplicate command is your friend, just select what you want to duplicate and press ctrl+d. I think that you can link duplicates to each other so if you change the original you change the duplicate.