New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

With fight still in him, mostly thanks to a fairly massive chunk of restorative magic, Darrius struggles with the thing and tries to lay his hand upon it again.

Spoiler
    Show
    MTA: (1d20-1)[6]
    Elec: (2d6)[12]
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

R2T6: With fight still in him, mostly thanks to a fairly massive chunk of restorative magic, Darrius struggles with the thing and tries to lay his hand upon it again, but misses, the pedipalps wrapping around him almost to pin him.

End Round Two, Begin Round Three ...

R3T21: Both pedipals help the monster hold Darrius more securely so as to bite more accuratey, and it does 13 damage to the held man's shoulder, once again coming just short of dropping him.

R3T18: "F*** this," curses Vakrissa, who takes a swing with her scythe and drops it with 11 damage.

I doubt, with only 3 hps remaining, that Darrius will object to 'taking his medicine' - as in his own potion of CLW - as instructed by the party M.D., though it only helps with 5 damage.

Because of the amount of damage he has taken, Vakrissa suggests she be allowed to use a spell that will do more in a minute than Lazer's faster healing spells. She casts a spell on Darrius, and he heals 1 hp a round for about 75 or so seconds, healing him of 12 damage. He only has light scratches, so he is good to go for now.

A quick search of the room reveals only the two locked doors. One to the north, and one to the east (not counting the entrance door to the west. Darrius checks the door to the north, and pops the locke quickly. The chain went into a door trap, and this 5x5 room is nothing but a winch room with the chain going into the wall. Lazer figures that this chain can be used to pull the rhagodessa close to this door from another foom's handle, so that safe passage may be granted.

Nothing is heard at the eastern door, and no traps are found. Darrius pops the lock very easily this time ... he's getting the hang of this.

Before going in, does Darrius change his essentia lineup, or is he good for now. Remember that stealth really isn't an option now; it's primarily CQB.

EDIT: Also, with the lesser vigor spell and search of the room, Celiss' shield spell has expired.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-06-01 at 07:11 PM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #333

The door is opened ... This room is 15 x 15, but a large, hexagonal table made of oak takes up the majority of this room, surrounded by six chairs. The north wall bears a huge map of Sasserine, on which dozens of tiny flags have been placed. To the south, a five-foot-tall and ten-foot-wide slate bears a tangled mess of chalk scribblings. A winch handle protrudes from the northwest corner.

There are blue, red, and gold flags. Of note, Vanderboren Manor has a gold flag. A red flag protrudes from the Islaran estate and a blue one on the Kellani estate. A few of the city watch garrisons (including the Sunrise garrison) contain both blue and gold flags. There are various other flags about town. Darrius is pretty good at figuring out codes, and determines that blue flags mean allies, red flags mean enemies, and gold flags mean sources of income.

"I wouldn't doubt, then," comments Lazer after Darrius explains the notes, "that the Lotus Dragons were responsible for assassinating old Lord Islaran, to make sure they could put a puppet in his place - or someone less competent - to set up for ....." the following chalkboard notations.

To the south, the slate is used to track other projects and take notes. The primary piece of information currently on the slate seems to track the comings and goings of ships in the harbor, as well as notations of which ones have been (or are scheduled to be) "holed." There is a note in the lower left hand corner that is in Aquan (which is understood by both Darrius and Lazer, and one or the other or both point out the things it says). The first thing says, "Make sure to pay ixitxs. by month end!"

In the upper right corner, after being translated by the other two, y'all may be amused (or concerned) to see the following names in a Box....
    "Rabbi-Doctor Eliezer Cohen ben Mordechai
    Vakrissa Flint-Eye
    Celiss Nightrom
    That fuzzy creature from who-knows-where
    Darrius Wavebreaker
    --- VANTHUS, FIX THIS NOW!!!"

The winch was obviously what slacked or shortened the rhagodessa leash. A quick-search of the room reveals nothing more.

There is a single door in the middle of the east wall. Darrius doesn't hear anything behind it or detect any traps. It takes him one try to get the lock. The door is opened. Beyond is a 5pwy, 25' long that ends with a door. Listen: nothing. Traps: none. Darrius gets the lock on one try.

Darrius, are you staying with your current essentia setup?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-06-02 at 12:26 AM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

[[Aye, 1 Helm, 0 Pelt, 1 Lightning, 2 Pauldrons is fine and it can stay where it is.]]

At the door Darrius looks back to the others before he opens it, and tries to keep his voice down, "Celiss, can you make another of those shields? If you head in first I might be able to come in unseen and get into a better tactical position."

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss shakes her head. Unfortunately not. I only have my cantrips, a cone-area damage spell and two cone-area disabling ones, unfortunately. I was expecting more fights against groups of weak thieves. She explains. I could try and kick open the door as I cast a spell, but if there's nothing in the room or the people in it are out of range it'd be rather wasteful. Celiss considers. I could go in front anyways-I am fairly well defended, even without my Shield.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

6. - Top - End - #336

Lazer nods and says, "Yes, after that rhagodessa we need someone whose ability to weather a sudden attack if an enemy gets a jump on the point-man ... or woman.

"Darrius, if you can hide and move in behind the rest of us for a sneak attack. Vakrissa, you're after Celiss, then Korian, then myself."

Darrius, behind all the light-users, uses their numbers and shadows to hide himself. Lazer nods, and Celiss opens the door.

Celiss opens the door. The room is 15' wide and 10' to the next side. The door is in the middle of the entering wall, and there is a door on the far side, but to the right. 10' directly across from Celiss, is not a lotus thief - at least not a rank and file human one. It is a muscular, savage humanoid of about 7' tall. Coarse hair covers most of its body. Its mouth is full of long, sharp fangs, and its nose is much like that of a bear. On second glance, however, Celiss notices that this is no ordinary, um... unordinary ... humanoid. Its hair is mangy and in patches, its skin is ashy and necrotic in some places. There is a glazed look on its eyes, and even a film over one of them. And there is a smell of death about it. Celiss might not know what kind .... but she has this feeling that this thing might not be alive.

R1T20: Celiss, it is 10' from you (means you only need to take a 5' step to get to it) and straight ahead. What do you do?
    Show

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss prepares to cast a spell for a moment, but decides against it after a moment. There's an undead-looking thing in here. She says to the others, moving forwards and lashing out twice, hoping to turn this thing into an un-undead quickly. Her first attack doesn't connect the way she hoped it to, but the second is fairly on-target and carried her full weight behind it. If it wasn't dodged or deflected by this creature's hide, the spellcasting monk was sure that it would deal significant damage.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    5-foot-step to in front of it and Flurry of Blows.
    Attacks:
    (1d20+3)[7]
    (1d20+3)[15]
    Damage:
    (1d6+3)[4]
    (1d6+3)[9]

I'm pretty sure this thing is immune to crits, which mean that my attack rolls with get absurd(i.e. 20, 20, 20, 20...) while fighting it...
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-06-02 at 01:41 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338

R1T20: Celiss prepares to cast a spell for a moment, but decides against it after a moment. "There's an undead-looking thing in here," she says to the others.

She moves forwards and lashes out twice, hoping to turn this thing into an un-undead quickly. Her first attack doesn't connect the way she hoped it to, and the second gets past its shield to thwack hard into its hide ... with no effect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It carries a light wooden shield and a morningstar. And, hey ... a 20 is still a hit is still a hit.

R1T18: A little faster than expected for Celiss, it swings its morningstar and clocks Celiss in the head for 8 damage.

R1T9: Lazer steps up to the doorway and has to make a hard choice. Instead of casting CLW, he touches Celiss with the power of goodness, a bane to evil. [Protection from evil.]

R1T8: [Yeah, the heroes all did lousy on initiative except Celiss ... at least that kept it from going first to the doorway and forcing everyone to fight in a line that can't move around...] Vakrissa does a sloppy job of acrobatics, but just enough to keep from provoking an AOO. She comes in and around to the thing's right. She tries to cast CLW defensively, but this monster is too deadly looking and the druid balks at so horrid a creature ... she loses her only CLW, and Celiss isn't healed.

R1T7: Lazer calls out, "I don't know what the creature was, but I know what it is. It's a zombie. Undead, sure, but highly resistant to all but slashing weapons. Celiss, you're going to do better with that short sword you're holding - or your spells - than you are with your fists. Darrius, its dead and held together through foul necromancy. It doesn't need blood or organs so there are no 'sweet spots' to target on it."

Korian comes in, and switches his stance back to that frosty form and acrobatically tries to get around to this thing's left to flank with Vakrissa. But he opens himself up and the zombie hits him on the lower hip/ buttocks for 6 damage. Korian then does that strange, "I moved but I use two claws," maneuver, but the pain in his lower back throws off both slashes.

R1T6: Darrius, you are 30' from this thing, and it would take you 35' of movement to get to one side or other of Celiss to threaten this thing. What do you do?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

As Darrius moves into the room under cover of stealth he frowns at the deathly pallor to the creature and Lazer's advice. Relying upon his stealth rather than acrobatics, he moves around the others to get behind the hulking creature and find a spot on it's flank to lay his hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, 35 ft to get into a combat position is more than one half, but less than my full movement speed, so that should still be a +12 to stealth, I think?

But yeah, get into position and apply the electro shock therapy
    MTA: (1d20+3)[22]
    Elec: (2d6)[6]

Also, I'm curious. Do these things that Korian has been doing, notably the frost and fog, appear at all like soulmelds? Knowledge (The Planes) is the relevant knowledge, while Spellcraft is an identifier for soulmelds. If I'm onto something, I don't expect to identify anything specifically, but its a curious thought. >.>

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #340

R1T6: As Darrius moves into the room under cover of stealth he frowns at the deathly pallor to the creature and Lazer's advice. Relying upon his stealth rather than acrobatics, he simply moves around to get to the opposite right-front-diagonal position of the creature, whose back is against the wall. He reaches out with his electro-gauntlet to touch the zombie right in the belly for 6 electricity damage as Darrius - who was spotted by most of the party, becomes more visible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Darrius has never seen anything like what Korian does ... it doesn't seem like a spell, a spell-like ability, and matching it with the wilderness-man that Korian is, Darrius can't think of a planar analogy to his fighting style. It seems natural, fluid, beautiful, and he invokes these things as easily as you attack with a dagger. These are nothing even like soulmelds ... they are seemingly abilities or training, not 'artificial constructs granting abilities.' It does seem, though, like there might be a little bit more gathering/releasing of energy than just a simple attack, true, but there's the ease. The only thing is that, other than the cold mist partially hiding him, he's used certain things a couple times ... but never more than once in the same fight. For example, the frost trailing his claws and riming his teeth seems incredibly effective ... why doesn't he do that every time ... instead of once a battle in two battles? or are they some sort of SLAs??

End Round One, Begin Round Two ...

R2T20: Celiss, what do you do? The zombie is hemmed in from all sides (its back is to the wall) save its left-front-diagonal. Being a zombie, it has no reason to move with enemies there, and no tactical understanding of repositioning.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-06-02 at 04:37 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss takes a swipe at the creature with her sword, hoping to cut into and through the creature's ribcage. It may be undead, but simply hacking apart organs until it fell over was an option, and a good one, too, it seemed. Celiss wasn't even sure if decapitating it would suffice to make it re-dead.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just a normal attack with my bonded short sword.
    (1d20+7)[27] Assuming I'm flanking, that is.
    (1d6+3)[6] Piercing.

12. - Top - End - #342

R2T20: Celiss takes a swipe at the creature with her sword, hoping to cut into and through the creature's ribcage. It may be undead, but simply hacking apart organs until it fell over was an option, and a good one, too, it seemed. Celiss wasn't even sure if decapitating it would suffice to make it re-dead. Her stab into its ribs into soft, squishy (putrefying) organs within is a solid hit for 1 mod damage. The dwarf wielding the warhammer thought you could cut with a short sword, and it turns out this wasn't useful.

Lazer sheepishly says, "Sorry, I prefer crunching weapons or a dagger. Thought the short sword could cut. You really need to start carrying a dagger."
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, you're not flanking it.

Its back is to the wall. Vakrissa and Korian flank it. Darrius is attacking from a front-diagonal square while the other front-diagonal square is open. You (Celiss) are face-to-face, flanking with the ...... wall behind it.

R2T18: In response, the zombie swings at Celiss and misses.

R2T9: Lazer delays...

R2T8: Vakrissa attacks with her scythe, but this creepy thing bothers her and she misses.

R2T7: *Rr-Awrr!*

Korian enters his bloodlust after getting hit by the zombie. 2 claws and a bite hit for 10 damage total.

R2T6.9: Darrius?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius chuckles as he feels the weight of several weapons weighing him down, "Daggers for sale! Get them while they're hot! You want one?"

Spoiler
    Show
    My action is largely dependent on whether or not Celiss wants said dagger.

If she does, my action will be spent delivering said dagger to her while trying not to get munched on by the zombie.
    Hmmm... acrobatics, if needed: (1d20+7)[22]

If she does not, electro-shock therapy.
    MTA: (1d20+3)[21]
    Elec: (2d6)[6]

Or the other option of drawing a dagger on the unused move action and dropping it as a free action into one of the unoccupied squares nearby, if any, but eh.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #344

Celiss ... do you reply to Darrius?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss moves to take the dagger, trying to do so in a way that won't leave her open to an attack.

If she can get it and attack in the same round, she will.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move(?): Get dagger.
    Standard: Attack!
    (1d20+4)[21] (it isn't masterwork, right?)
    (1d4+3)[7]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-06-05 at 03:39 AM.

16. - Top - End - #346

R2T6.9: Darrius chuckles as he feels the weight of several weapons weighing him down, "Daggers for sale! Get them while they're hot! You want one?"

He pulls out his masterwork dagger and holds it out to Celiss.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Normally, with daggers of varying quality .... w/o you specifying "mastework" it would've been the normal one. However, since the normal one is that concealed, wrist-sheath one, the masterwork makes the most sense.

End Round Two, Begin Round Three ...

R3T20: Celiss grabs the dagger (Darrius is forward and to her left) and slashes the zombie in the gut for max (7) damage.

R3T18: The zombie swings its morningstar at Celiss. Even with her various protections (incl. Lazer's spell), the morningstar cracks her in her right upper arm for 9 damage. She is very badly wounded now.

R3T17: Lazer casts CLW on Celiss for 7 healing.

R3T8: Vakrissa cuts the zombie's right forearm for 10 damage.

R3T7: Even in bloodlust, Korian's claws and teeth trail frost. Though the bite misses, both claws come ripping across for a total of 14 slashing and 10 cold damage. This thing is getting rocked by damage now.

R3T6: Darrius?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-06-05 at 04:55 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

With Celiss properly armed, Darrius returns to the attack. He reaches out with his palm yet again with hopes of shocking the dead creature yet again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Electro-shock therapy!
    MTA: (1d20+3)[20]
    Elec: (2d6)[8]

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #348

R3T6: With Celiss properly armed, Darrius returns to the attack. He reaches out with his palm yet again with hopes of shocking the dead creature yet again, hitting it in the right shoulder for 8 electricity damage.

End Round Three, Begin Round Four ...

R4T20: Celiss?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss, glad that she now has an effective weapon, will focus on defense rather than offense, hoping to avoid further injury at the undead hands of this...undead.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting Defensively. -4 attack, +3 dodge AC(23)
    Attack: (1d20+1)[5]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[9]

A 20 or a 1, I think.

20. - Top - End - #350

R4T20: Celiss, glad that she now has an effective weapon, will focus on defense rather than offense, hoping to avoid further injury at the undead hands of this...undead. She has amazing defense, but misses her attack.

R4T18: Having zapped the zombie last, it responds to the stimulus by smacking Darrius in the head - failing to crit but threatening - for 12 mod damage.

R4T17: Lazer steps forward through Celiss's square - on his way to get trhough Darrius' square, but the zombie crits him in the back for 9 damage. He passes by his teammates on the far side and casts CLW to heal him of all damage.

R4T8: Vakrissa cuts the zombie right in the neck for 8 damage. Its head is barely attached.

R4T7: A single blood-furied claw swipe for 6 damage is all that is needed to knock the zombie's head off and make the thing drop. Korian's blood fury ends now that the enemy that hurt him is dead.

Combat Ends ...

Celiss and Lazer both suffer from the same level of wounds, and Korian is far less wounded. Lazer has only one healing spell left, and demands Celiss take it ... she's the front-liner, after all. He fully heals Celiss.

"We need to get out of here. I have nothing left. There is no guarantee of finding another thief beyond that door with healing potions. Another zombie like that, and who knows what will happen. I bought several manacles earlier, which Korian has been kind enough to carry. There are four unconscious rogues and two that are comatose. Let us do what we can to litter or escort them to the Guildhall, above, and then to the Sunrise Garrison. Paid off or not, that's our job. Any questions?"

Celiss, Darrius ... any problems with what he said? Vakrissa has two spells remaining ... and it would take an hour of meditation in alerted enemy territory to change them to healing spells ... which she doesn't want to do in this false underground maze, so disconnected from real nature. Lazer, who has proven himself far more incredible with his CLWs than you thought possible ... is tapped out, even after using those several potions of CLWs. Korian is estimated at 3/4 health.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-06-07 at 01:25 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius has no objections, but does have a suggestion to add once they are hopefully out of earshot of even the keenest ears, "We may want to consider extra security tonight, lest any brave little thieves come calling in the night."

Spoiler
    Show
    If the night is uneventful, I think I'm going to swap back over to the Soulspark Familiar in place of the Crystal Helm for tomorrow. Expanded Capacity will switch over to the Soulspark.
    E will be 1 Gauntlets, 1 Pauldrons, 2 Soulspark for +2 attk and damage.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss has no problems with leaving now, although she does wish that she had prepared more defensive spells, seeing as she didn't use either of her other spells.

23. - Top - End - #353

I got Darrius' setup, but Celiss ... please set up your spell sheet for tomorrow's foray.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss prepares Shield 3 times and Color Spray once.

25. - Top - End - #355

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Darrius has no objections, but does have a suggestion to add once they are hopefully out of earshot of even the keenest ears, "We may want to consider extra security tonight, lest any brave little thieves come calling in the night."

Spoiler
    Show
    If the night is uneventful, I think I'm going to swap back over to the Soulspark Familiar in place of the Crystal Helm for tomorrow. Expanded Capacity will switch over to the Soulspark.
    E will be 1 Gauntlets, 1 Pauldrons, 2 Soulspark for +2 attk and damage.
    To Darrius, Lazer nods his head emphatically.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Essenta switch done for tomorrow.

At the Hall of Justice .....

Lazer takes his time assessing his own and Korian's wounds. The doctor is obviously worse off (55%) compared to Korian (75%). Vakrissa will pray in the gardens out back for an hour and come back to cast lesser vigor on both of them to fully heal them both.

That evening, Korian will spend time by himself working on his strange martial form in the gardens - not only for practicing his fighting style, but also in trying to strengthen and sharpen his claws. He feels them growing thicker, but he hasn't been happy with his 1d3 weapons in the past battles. Though he seems fluent in several approaches, he fittingly focuses mainly on a program that allows him to best channel his instincts and feral nature constructively in battle without losing control.

Lazer works with Darrius in finding weak spots on various body types. Lazer will then study spell mechanics theory under Celiss.

Vakrissa feels that today's trials leave her with a lot to meditate and reflect on, so she does so in the garden.

Once again, as evening falls and she is done tutoring Lazer, Celiss enjoys the gardens as well. As the lights dim or she looks outward ... she keeps seeing hazy shapes in black and white where she shouldn't see anything. She can't quite make anything other than basic shapes out, but it is still disturbing, and comes and goes. Darrius works with her on tumbling and balancing exercises once he's done working with Lazer.

Overlapping watches are made and set, making for a longer 'downtime' than average to ensure everyone gets ample rest.

Godsday, 11 Planting 589 CY

Godsday is the fourth day of the seven-day week on Oerth. Many (but not all) businesses open at various times of the day, usually later in the day for limited hours. Many other businesses simply stay closed all day, depending on what they do. It is the Oeridian Sunday, though the Saturday equivalent isn't until the end of the week on Freeday.

Neither Vakrissa nor Rabbi Cohen will even think of disturbing the sanctity of this day for adventuring. Vakrissa will help with nature services in the Grove in the Sunrise District, and Korian goes with; she believes she recently has discovered some inspiration. Vakrissa is clear to tell (as politely as possible) that Celiss probably won't get much out of it, given her path ... and the godless Darrius is only invited if he is serious about learning more about the various nature gods. Rabbi Cohen, though very friendly, compassionate, and open, does not give invites to the services he attends. He says that his people and particular religion are very clannish and do not take kindly to strangers. He is confident that his ability to disguise well will keep him from harm going to or from the synagogue.

That leaves Darrius and Celiss. The two of you are left to sell off the equipment scavenged from the rogues. Do you attend to any other business?

Sale of items breakdown, and shares...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rapiers (8) 20/ 2 = 10 * 8 = 80 gp
    Saps (7) 1/ 2 = .5 * 7 = 3.5 gp
    Hand xbow (7) 100/ 2 = 50 * 7 = 350 gp
    Hand xbow bolts (66) 1/ 2 = .5 * 66 = 33 gp
    Leather Armor (8) 10/ 2 = 5 * 8 = 40 gp
    TOTAL: 506.5

Shares (5, 1 for each) + 1 (party funds)
    506.5/ 6 = 84 gp, 4 sp, 1 cp
    4 cp left over to be put in party funds

This shows the deduction for Darrius' take of a hand crossbow, 11 bolts, and a sap. The urchin venom doesn't keep. They were applied to the bolts (those bolts that had them) in readiness for battle, not sitting in vials waiting to be taken out, applied, and then shot as invaders blast through the guildhalls.

I shall update character sheets for funds.
    Other items that were still in party treasury and not divvied up...[spoiler]Penkus' ring. Group-valued at 100 gp.
    50 gp holy symbol of Olidammara.
    2 potions of CLW that were left behind, but Lazer has hold of them now for party use.
    Total take for this set: 150 gp/ 6 shares = 25 gp per share.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-06-09 at 02:40 AM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356

[Well, seeing as nothing was posted about doing anything that you guys wanted to do on your own ....]

Out and about town .... Celiss, you are overcome with two major sensations. They may or may not be what you would otherwise feel, but there is a sense of 'something-not-right' about them. First, and more generally ... you were raised in a monastery. Be the harvester devil's story real or false, you were never really exposed to the realities and harshness of life that many other people feel. A word creeps into your psyche, peering out from your subconsciousness into your consciousness as you want the .... 'mortals' .... around you. Secondly, you feel a darkness in the pit of you as you realize how not-belonging you feel. There is now additional wrestling with something on the periphery of your moral consciousness that makes you feel that if these are 'just mortals' .... are you bound by the same morality as them, or are you free to pursue or make your own?

You tumble these questions in your head. While you are a capable monk, you and your order were always more inclined to philosophical academia rather than true wisdom. Dogmatism, practically, and as you further go down this path of thought, it gets worse as you practically hear the voices of those around you. Or rather, you think you know what they are probably thinking. The sea of voices judging you for your unfeminine build and physique, your strange rosacea/ eczema, your nails, your company that you're keeping (the strange-looking Darrius), your .... and that is when you faint in the street. Darrius is a powerful man, but he still has to beg the help of the district watch to take you back to Vanderboren Manor.

The entire rest of the day you are indisposed. You are bedridden suffering from deliriums and fever. You see yourself as a punisher and enforcer for the gods in your dreams - but in being a necessity for the universal concept of balance and order and righteousness, for some reason you sacrificed your own happiness to give eternal torture to others. In these dreams you know some of the despair you yourself inflict on others, and that while given a sacred mission you no longer find comfort in the acceptance of Delleb's teachings as passed down through the Carmendine Order. Discipline is firmly with you still, but there is a certain 'lost' feeling you have to the righteousness you once possessed in these delusions.

As you drift in and out from time to time, Rabbi-Doctor Eliezer Cohen ben Mordechai is there performing both functions on you. As a doctor to look after your physical distress, and as a rabbi trying to help you with your spiritual distress.

Once the party gets together in the afternoon evening. Vakrissa will play 'rabbit' games with Darrius, mainly with him as rabbit. Korian will also get in on this ... and Vakrissa and Darrius will both coach him (the former as hunter, and the latter as rabbit). Then, Vakrissa will coach Darrius, and Darrius will be hunter as he plays with Korian.

Waterday, 12 Planting 589 CY

Celiss, it is another day wherein you are bedridden and suffering strange sensations and dreams. Most of the morning is cold sweats. Things become hairy in the late morning/ early afternoon. At this point, the entire party has to hold you down so that Lazer can bind you to your bed. In your ... 'possession'/ fever ... the compassion and decency that suffuses from Lazer rolls off him in a cloying stench that you sense easily enough. It is as if you are a passenger in your body, but subjected to all of its sensations through a different filter.

You shout and thrash and curse and scream horrifically at the rabbi. At the same time that you do this, Darrius sees your form shimmer, and it is as if several heads screaming come forth and blur around. It is so terrifying, that the normally solid and unflappable Rabbi Cohen runs screaming in terror from the room. Something dark with you finds it tremendously and ironically humorous that so devout and pompous a dwarfling that tried to settle these awesome powers within you should be the one to run from your might!

About 30 seconds pass as you go from thrashing psychotic episode to a more catatonic-delusional episode and the very ashamed and hurt Lazer comes back into the room. It is devastating to morale to see someone, who is usually the one to keep his cool in any situation, run screaming in such a fashion. When he and the rest of you (except Celiss, until later) think of how ruinous that might be in a real situation ... well, no one says anything, but it's there in the air unspoken.

The rest of the evening are tremors, mainly the lower body but inclusive of the whole body as well, and a lot more thrashing and screaming and possessed behavior.

Vakrissa doesn't stay long with the goings on, just enough to help secure Celiss (and see Lazer run). But she departs for the grove in Sunrise stating that the unnatural influences here are too strong for her, and that she will go there for the evening and check in tomorrow.

In the adjacent room, only because he wants to be able to run in to lend assistance, Korian works on more of his martial skill. In this case, for when Darrius might look in for any reason, he seems to try a form of battle trance that a) lets the beast - or at least his instincts - out of the box, and b) uses his meditative focus to guide his instincts once released, rather than suppress them or let them spiral out of control. It is definitely centered around the more animalistic maneuvers of his fighting style that he uses, rather than the more 'warrior' or 'soldierly' types.

Later, he will head off to see Vakrissa. He is still more animal than man, and the unnatural possession (and display of power) is more than a little jarring for the creature of nature.

Darrius, that leaves you and the rabbi to keep constant vigil over Celiss. At this point, meditating to keep your cool becomes a godsend of a skill. Your entire day is made up of assisting the Rabbi-Doctor where needed, and then meditating in readiness for whatever may lie ahead.

The doctor spends the entire day (and night before and after) with Celiss. He realizes that she can become dehydrated and hurt herself so he is constantly checking on her to make sure that at least her body is as whole as possible.

In the evening, Celiss thrashing works back up to the point where it was before. Without Vakrissa and Korian ... Darrius, you begin to fear how this thing may turn out. Celiss's strange body-blurring, face-shifting occurs again. But his time, Lazer was on the ball. He casts remove fear on himself and Darrius, and when Celiss is at the throes of her possession, she breathes in deeply and lets out her scream again at Lazer. This time, the seacliff dwarf (or whatever he is) holds firm and shouts, "Possessing devil, I cast you out!"

He didn't cast a spell, but there is a burst of some magical discharge that blows him back against you [Darrius] and knocks you both down. The two of you get up to look at Celiss on the now still bed, and she is unconscious. He checks further, and she is sound asleep. Her fever seems to have broken, and there is a great calm over her.

Darrius, you have no idea what magical effect that was used by Lazer. The strange thing?

Neither does he.

Earthday, 13 Planting 589 CY

The night before, Vakrissa and Korian checked in, then went to bed.

Today, Celiss wakes up refreshed and having slept well.

Lazer looks at her and breakfast and asks, "You've had quite an interesting few days, my dear. How do you feel?"

Celiss ... yeah, so how does she feel after all of this has happened?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-06-14 at 12:11 AM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss, fairly shaken from her experience, apologizes for what happened during the past few days. I'm not quite sure what happened, but it felt like I was just an observer. I could feel things normally, but was unable to take any sort of action. I actually feel completely normal now, though, which seems a bit odd to me. I'll go to do research on this sort of thing after breakfast, but I do think that what I heard before I collapsed could be related to it. Essentially, in the few minutes before my collapse in town, I felt a divide between myself and the other people, as if I was some sort of different being. She explains, frowning a bit. The thought that this sort of thing could just suddenly happen is a disconcerting one-sort of like what happened to Lazer, if she suddenly had some sort of episode while they were in a combat situation. I'd like to thank you for...well, whatever that was that you did yesterday. If you hadn't, I might still be under the control of...well, whatever was controlling me.

28. - Top - End - #358

Lazer answers, "What happened to you, generally, seemed like possession. Specifically, though, it was way outside my experience. I have to give my hat to you, but you are a far better scholar of religious and otherworldly lore than myself.

"Do you think you are good to go for a strike against the Lotus Dragons today? If not, the rest of us will go .... you seem fully yourself this morning, but it is your call."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss nods. While I am worried about something like that happening again, I doubt that waiting around will reduce the risk-it might even give whatever that was time to recover it's strength. She says, frowning. Besides, after what happened last time I don't think that another attack would go well without us at full strength, although we may have the element of surprise this time, and hopefully our last attack did significant damage to them, so it'll be good to follow up before they can fully recover.

30. - Top - End - #360

Lazer recommends more training and the like to wake up the mind and body, and then heading out in the early afternoon after a light lunch. Vakrissa will spend the morning in meditation in the grove in Sunrise, and you will meet up with her there. Lazer will spend the morning in prayer for the day's task. Celiss and Korian - incorporating techniques taught to Korian by Vakrissa - will meditate together to learn to increase mental focus with distractions; including one pestering another while the other tries to concentrate. This leaves Darrius to engage in a variety of calisthenics and cardio exercises.

Time to go, and the party gets to Sunrise District to meet up with Vakrissa. She joins up with you, and now the party in full force heads towards the Taxidermist's Guildhall.

Celiss, Darrius (but not his soulspark familiar), Korian, & Vakrissa ... all notice a street-urchin attempting (and failing) to lift Lazer's purse.

S22: Vakrissa is the first to respond, and catches the young boy around the ankle with the scythe (not cutting) but he jumps as she tries to pull him down.

S19: Celiss, it would only take you a 5-foot step to get to the boy (of about 10 or so years). What do you do?
    Show