New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

Celiss sighs as she resists the magic, "I guess I'll use this chance to ask you to surrender - although I don't really think you'll take it."

R2T6: Lazer uses total defense.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T19: Gut Tugger is infuriated at the glowing blue ball and bites down and shakes it wildly until the soulspark rips apart into blue glitter and disappears.

R3T18: Korian wraps himself in the cold mists, and his natural weapons become rimed with frost. The first claw hits Gut Tugger in the shoulder for 6 natural and 8 cold damage. The second claw slashes against Gut Tugger's forearm for 4 natural and 4 cold damage. The bite misses.

R3T15: Celiss?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss decides to help Korian take down Gut Tugger rather than simply continuing to trade misses with Rowyn. She moves as if to attack, giving Korian a better opening for his next attack by distracting the draconic beast with her sword.

Actions/Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aid Another on Korian, for +2 to hit on his next attack against Gut Tugger.

Attack: (1d20+5)[11]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-06-27 at 07:58 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

3. - Top - End - #393

Spoiler
    Show
    You would have to move into Vakrissa's space to your left (provoking AOO from Celiss), then into Korian's space forward (provoking AOO from Gut Tugger, and Rowyn if she had CR), and then to the left again into the corner of the same wall opposite Rowyn. That would allow you to be adjacent to Korian and Gut Tugger. Sooo, Acrobatics it is.
    R3T15: Celiss sidesteps into space with Vakrissa, catching Korian's eye as you move in ... he sees and balls with his back up, giving you a point to step up onto his back, jump against the wall, and then down to the other side.

The first two are just fine, but the continuous movement along threatened areas finally warns the two others as you leap from Korian. Gut Tugger catches you along the hip in mid-air for 9 damage, though Rowyn misses with her rapier. Some of the damage is your tearing out of his bite with your momentum.

You finally get into the far corner, and set up a distraction Korian can use.

R3T8: Vakrissa's scythe again smacks against Gut Tugger's hide as she uses defense.

R3T7: "Ouch," Rowyn chides softly, "that looks like it hurt. You really are badly wounded. Don't you see how silly this is?"

Celiss ... yup, you guessed it. Roll a Will save with the same +4 bonus.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-06-27 at 12:38 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, the perils of map-less PbP. I was considering adding an "if, then" clause, but...eh. I dislike the results of what happened, but I'll deal.

Celiss sighs again. You're really intent on using that thing up, aren't you? She asks.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[18]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-06-27 at 01:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #395

Rowyn retorts, "And you are really intent on resisting. Can't you see that this way is better? that a way is there for you to advance instead of die, and that your friends might even live?"

R3T6: Lazer takes out a wand and defensively shoots it at Gut Tugger, hitting him in the lower left leg for 3 Strength damage.

End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ...

R4T19: Gut Tugger is now feeling pressed and he strikes out at Vakrissa. He catches on her sharkskin armor, but can't seem to penetrate.

R4T18: Korian nods at Celiss and then takes a cue from her movements. He's no fool, though, and instead of capitalizing on her help for total offense, he uses it to set off his tactical defense point-for-point. He focuses his will on what weak spots he can sense, but fails to see what he was seeking, and makes a single claw swipe that misses.

R4T15: Unfortunately, the wall behind Gut Tugger is such that you can't quite flank with Lazer. Celiss, what do you do? You've noticed so far that Gut Tugger is not only quick, but his scales are particularly hard.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss begins to wish that she had prepared different spells-her Color Spray would be useless in this situation, and there wasn't much she could do with Shield at the moment, either.

As such, she simply continues her maneuver, distracting the draconic beast with a few swipes of her sword..

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aiding Another(Korian) once again.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[25]

...Great. A wasted 20.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-06-28 at 05:06 AM.

7. - Top - End - #397

R4T15: Celiss begins to wish that she had prepared different spells - her Color Spray would be useless in this situation, and there wasn't much she could do with Shield at the moment, either.

As such, she simply continues her maneuver, distracting the draconic beast with a few swipes of her sword ...

R4T8: Vakrissa also maintains full tactical measure, and misses with her scythe.

R4T7: Rowyn nods at Celiss and drops the wand. She takes a nail-pierced hunk of leather from her pouch and casts a spell defensively. A small black dagger jets from the tip of the nail and strikes Lazer squarely in the chest.

"The curse of impending blades?" asks Lazer. "It will do you little good against me, assassin. To be a healer, I must not be squeamish with the concept of gore."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celiss, you're familiar with this spell, found in the Spell Compendium, page 56.

R4T6: Lazer looks at the felldrake and says, "It's me you want, scaly! The others can't really hurt you, but I can make you crippled with my magic. Try me on for size!"

Fighting defensively, Lazer activates the wand and the black beam shoots out but misses Gut Tugger.

End Round 4, Begin Round 5 ...

R5T19: Gut Tugger had focused, even after being affected by the wand last time, on his target. But the thought of another painful enervation and Lazer's taunting is too much. He lurches forward and bites the doctor in the left hand for 9 damage.

"Not so weak now, am I, weakling?" the felldrake grunt-hisses in Common.

R5T18: Korian drops his tactical expertise, seeing the outstanding help Celiss is providing, and Gut Tugger's focus on the physician. Korian avenges the doc with a nice claw swipe to Gut Tugger's left forepaw for 6 damage. The second claw gets him upside the head for 5 damage, which acts as a distancing maneuver as Korian comes in to bite the felldrake in the head for another 5 damage.

R5T15: Celiss?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss decides to go onto the attack, taking a single swipe at Gut-Tugger with her sword.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+5)[11]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[5]

9. - Top - End - #399

R5T15: Celiss decides to go onto the attack, taking a single swipe at Gut-Tugger with her sword, but it is more agile than she expected and she misses.

R5T8: Vakrissa takes a descending diagonal cut to Gut Tugger but misses and overcommits and the angle pulls her down to be prone on the ground.

R5T7: Rowyn steps into the gap Celiss left behind, and now flanks Vakrissa with Gut Tugger. She stabs the fallen druid in the right knee for 8 weapon and 11 SA damage, and the wound is bleeding.

R5T6: Lazer casts CLW on Vakrissa for maximum effect (15 healing), which also stops the bleeding.

End Round 5, Begin Round 6 ...

R6T19: Gut Tugger bites Vakrissa for 6 bite and 13 SA damage.

R6T18: Korian drops his CE and goes on full offense, but misses with all attacks.

R6T15: Celiss?
    Show

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss lashes out at Gut Tugger twice, hoping to bring down the draconic beast and keep Vakrissa from being torn apart. Her first attack, a jab with her free hand, has a bad angle, but the second, an upward kick, is far more accurate.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flurry o' Blows!
    1: (1d20+3)[8]
    dmg: (1d6+3)[6]
    2: (1d20+3)[22]
    dmg: (1d6+3)[7]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-06-29 at 07:42 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401

R6T15: Celiss lashes out at Gut Tugger twice, hoping to bring down the draconic beast and keep Vakrissa from being torn apart. Her first attack, a jab with her free hand, has a bad angle, but the second, an upward kick, is far more accurate, and catches Gut Tugger on the side of the neck for 7 damage.

R6T8: Vakrissa tries to concentrate on a healing spell, but Gut Tugger's menace ruins her concentration. She is still bleeding from the felldrake's last attack. As bad as she is, and flanked by two sneak attackers, she tries to get on her feet. Gut Tugger bites her in the head for 13 natural and 11 SA damage, while Rowyn stabs her in the upper arm for 8 weapon and 4 SA damage. With these wounds, Gut Tugger bites through and rips the top part of Vakrissa's head clean off.

There is no question she is dead, and she flops into a pile.

R6T7: Rowyn steps back the 5' to get to where she was before, picks up the wand, and points it at Celiss, "Even if the magic of the wand doesn't get you .... surrender. Two of yours have fallen. We will keep the winged one's body for Cruncher, and we'll let you have the other body."

R6T6: Lazer looks at Celiss and says in Dwarven, "We aren't going to win this. I noticed your hesitation attacking Rowyn. Darrius is OOC. Vakrissa is dead. You and I are badly wounded. If Korian gets hit, nothing will stop him from knowing when to pull out, and I'm worried that may force us to feel we have to stay behind for that. Gut Tugger has significant wounds ... but he looks like he can still take a lot more than any of us. We need to back out, tactically. I think now it is about the preservation of what life we can save, not what honor."

Celiss, roll that Will save at a +6 total bonus. Also, after that, what is your reply to Lazer? [He spoke in Dwarven, so he is probably banking on the enemy not knowing the same.]
    Show

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss frowns, shrugging off the shock of Vakrissa's death and Rowyn's spell with the same mental partitioning, keeping her mind focused. What will happen to us if we do surrender? She asks, tensing to react.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will: (1d20+6)[21] Or did you mean a +6 bonus on top of my normal one? If so, it's +10 total.

If possible, I'd like to get Rowyn's reply on my turn-it'll determine whether or not I use a Color Spray and try to get us out of there or give up.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-06-30 at 12:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403

Celiss frowns, shrugging off the shock of Vakrissa's death and Rowyn's spell with the same mental partitioning, keeping her mind focused. "What will happen to us if we do surrender?"

She asks, tensing to react.

A voice from outside says in a gruff, accented voice .... "MOVE, priest! WITHDRAW!!!"

Lazer withdraws, and stepping into where he was ....

End Round 6, Begin Round 7 ...

R7T22: Quickslayer, the feral gargun you rescued from the Blue Nixie (and former guardian of Korian) comes into the room and goes to move into the spot occupied by Vakrissa's body. He tries to do so w/o provoking an AOO from Gut Tugger, but the crafty felldrake is faster than Quickslayer expected and bites him in the left forearm for 12 damage.

Quickslayer is decked out in all manner of blue things. First, he wears a three-sided mask that hovers in front of his face that branches into the three monstrous heads of a chimera. Three pairs of eyes look out on the world at once, three heads direct his actions, and three sets of savage jaws slaver for prey. Then, he has a two pairs of ghostly arms sprouting from his midsection, looking vaguely like gorilla arms. Lastly, his claws seem even more wicked and sport blue furry tufts.

One of the extra arms grabs onto Gut Tugger's right upper arm and the felldrake doesn't seem to be able to do anything against the creepy blue arm which crushes for 6 damage and moves into the dragon's square.

"Ka'Xet!" Quickslayer cries, "Come in and then immediately forward to attack that woman with the tattoos!"

R7T21: Ka'Xet moves in as directed.

Ka'Xet, you have a standard action open, and no doubt your mindblade is already active. You are now facing off this tattooed woman with a rapier and buckler. What do you do? Also, describe yourself.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ka'Xet looks like a fairly typical Xeph, that is to say, his skin is yellow, and he has black hair and eyes. He's short, even for a Xeph, standing all of 5'2", but he's solidly built. His clothing is quite quite sturdy, as though he lives for life on the road. His long black queue is bound by silvery rings. His outer garments are a mottled leather duster, dark brown pants and a dark grey vest, the shine of silver peeks out from under the vest, indicating a mithral chain shirt underneath. He wears thick black boots, carries a kukri at his side and a masterwork bow on his back. Oddly, the kukri isn't drawn. In his left hand is a glowing blade the color of emeralds about the length of a short sword. His face is friendly, relaxed and unafraid.

Wai-ul 'allo lil' nannotchka, Let's 'ave us a look at your gutty-wuts, eh?

Ka'Xet darts in for an attack (1d20+6)[7]

Damage: (1d6+3)[8]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

15. - Top - End - #405

R7T21: The newcomer moves in as directed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ka'Xet looks like a fairly typical Xeph, that is to say, his skin is yellow, and he has black hair and eyes. He's short, even for a Xeph, standing all of 5'2", but he's solidly built. His clothing is quite quite sturdy, as though he lives for life on the road. His long black queue is bound by silvery rings. His outer garments are a mottled leather duster, dark brown pants and a dark grey vest, the shine of silver peeks out from under the vest, indicating a mithral chain shirt underneath. He wears thick black boots, carries a kukri at his side and a masterwork bow on his back. Oddly, the kukri isn't drawn. In his left hand is a glowing blade the color of emeralds about the length of a short sword. His face is friendly, relaxed and unafraid.

Wai-ul 'allo lil' nannotchka, Let's 'ave us a look at your gutty-wuts, eh?

He darts in for an attack on Rowyn, but misses wildly.

R7T19: Gut Tugger desperately tries to break free of Quickslayer's hold, but is totally outclassed.

R7T18: Korian looks at Rowyn, now that Gut Tugger is occupied. "Time for you, bitch!"

He slashes her across the belly for 4 points, but his other claw and bite miss or are deflected.

R7T15: Celiss, since you're stuck in the corner, do you pound on Gut Tugger while he's held?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-07-01 at 06:55 AM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss, relieved and surprised by the sudden arrival of Quickslayer and Ka'Xet, takes her hand from her spell component pouches and lashes out with her sword again, hoping to bring Gut Tugger down quickly.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[6]

17. - Top - End - #407

R7T15: Celiss, relieved and surprised by the sudden arrival of Quickslayer and Ka'Xet and the bizarre humanoid with the strange 'fake' sword of light, takes her hand from her spell component pouches and lashes out with her sword again, hoping to bring Gut Tugger down quickly, but his scales are very hard to penetrate.

R7T7: Rowyn snickers at the ridiculous combat 'prowess' of the new person, and focuses her rage at the creature that just cut her across her belly. She makes a deceptive thrust and then follows it up after a disengage, on the other line ... only to glance off of the mage armor.

R7T6: Lazer seemed to withdraw out of the room entirely, but merely took a 5-foot step out of sight, but now he is fully healed. He moves to the point he had formally stood, and with Gut Tugger grappled he drags Darrius 5' (but only with tremendous effort) into his own square.

End Round 7, Begin Round 8 ...

R8T22: All of the blue arms are used to maintain the grapple, wrenching Gut Tugger for 11 and 9 damage. At the same time, all three heads bite (and miss), while of his two natural claws one actually hits for 9 damage.

Gut Tugger goes limp as Quickslayer drops him. Quickslayer takes a 50-foot step into the area where Vakrissa lies (bounded at diagonals by the new humanoid and Korian).

R8T21: Ka'Xet, that deceive she gave Korian was incredible, but she lacked the swordsmanship to make it work for her. What do you do?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #408

HalflingRangerGuy

Well, nannotchka, le's 'ave anuther pass, 'aye? Now lessee some ruby-red!

(1d20+6)[9]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

19. - Top - End - #409

R8T21: "Well, nannotchka," says Ka'Xet, "le's 'ave anuther pass, 'aye? Now lessee some ruby-red!"

Swing and a miss ... this woman has some crazy good parrying/ deflection/ warding skills.

R8T18: Korian goes back to using as good as he can with similar tactical combat - though only half as good as Rowyn. He does manage to graze her across the neck with a claw for 5 damage.

R8T15: Celiss, you really can't do anything from your spot, and there's no room to go anywhere else here. Color spray is likewise going to get a lot of friendlies ... you delay.

R8T7: Rowyn is crying at the death of her pet, "Goodbye, Gut Tugger. I shall avenge you."

She tries to palm something into her hands from her belt (with her buckler hand), but Ka'Xet and Korian notice this (though Quickslayer doesn't) and she is open for a split second. Ka'Xet makes a beautiful stab into her belly (crit!) for 13 damage, though Korian misses.

You (all) see now that she has a potion bottle in her hand. With her rapier, she cuts Ka'Xet along his right elbow for 4 damage.

R8T6: Lazer takes out a potion and gives it to the unconscious Darrius.

Darrius, you are brought to unconsciousness, and Gut Tugger's limp form practically is partly on top of you. You turn your head at an odd angle to see the fight in progress ... Vakrissa's head is off from a point around the nose around. Celiss is on standby in the corner, ready to jump in if needed. And Korian and two others - you recognize Quickslayer (see above description for melds) - are pressing Rowyn against a wall. However, you are disabled. "Easy lad," says Lazer, "if you do anything, you're just going to go under again ... and I'm all out of spells and healing potions."

End Round 8, Begin Round 9 ...

R9T22: Quickslayer hisses at her, and in his brutish accent he says, "Witch! Vakrissa Flint-Eye was a friend to the natural world, and had a destiny thread you severed. She shall be avenged without mercy!"

And he rages ....... He rakes her with his own claw against her transversus muscle in the lower abdomen for 12 damage; swordarm slashed for 10 damage by blue arm; right shoulder by 3rd blue arm for 4 damage; goat head of mask gores her for 12 damage, and she falls motionless on the floor.

"Finish her, Ka'Xet," says Quickslayer.

R9T21: Ka'Xet? Do you provide a killing stroke?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #410

HalflingRangerGuy

Aye cobber, shan't be no nevermind. Shan't hurt a bit dearie, longo sleepage for thee, my loverly...

Ka'Xet kneels upon her shoulders and shoves the glowing blade into her throat.

[OOC]Do I have to roll for a coup de grace?[/OOC]

21. - Top - End - #411

HalflingRangerGuy

May flights of luminals wing you to your rest.

(1d6+3)[7]

22. - Top - End - #412

Ka'Xet does 15 damage (auto-crit) on his coup de grace, and kills Rowyn for sure.

Korian turns to Gut Tugger and does 12 damage (auto-crit) on the dragon to make sure he's dead as well. Lazer was about to say something, and Korian darn well knows it, but the seacliff dwarf rabbi recognizes that the beast-on-beast, and the vengeance of the noble natural creatures vs. the evil urbane, is just something he has not the energy to fight right now ... but it's not something he necessarily forgets, either.

Quickslayer bends down to Darrius and says in his raspy and bestial voice with a smile showing his teeth (which, though sharp and intimidating, are vestigial as weapons unto themselves), "Ho, student! I didn't teach you this laying down trick ... it must be new, no? Heh-heh-heh. Glad to see you aren't a total loss."

He turns to Rabbi Cohen, recognizing him as something of the alpha in the group (even if, to his disgust, he is pitifully weak), and then the rest of the group. "I am ally of the Crystal Wardens since I be here in Sasserine. You have not seen me, pupil, in many days ... but Vakrissa introduced me since they's look after what the city will'nt. She learnt mind-warrior powers with her nature magic, whereas I use soul magic to help protect the same. So I join.

"But, I sent out with this one here - Ka'Xet Moakh Kahir - to replace Vakrissa should she fall. Her destiny weave seen cut before it cut, and we try to stop. But we get here too late, because destiny has spoken. The Crystal Wardens know her fate - even though ended - was threaded with stuffs that threaten everything ... trees, hills, jungles, ocean ... and even cities and man-places. They not know what yet ... so they want person with you who can look for things that you city-persons might not understand.

"Ka'Xet Moakh Kahir, this is Darrius Wavebreaker ... who is gathering power from the earth lying on the ground, I guess'n; he's my student of sorts to learn of incarnum, but he do soul magic different than me. This is Celiss Nightrom, and she's a whizzer-monkey or something. You've seen Korian Silversides, son of Hleid, with Vakrissa when she bring him to work in wilds. (You've never met, and Ka'Xet has seen Korian - but there would be little reason he'd know you in return.) He god-son and need protecting. Finally, you have Rubbin-Doctor Lizard Coin ben More-Duck-Hi."

The dwarf, easily the .... handsomest? ... yeah, sure, handsomest ... dwarf Ka'Xet has ever met extends his hand. Assuming you (Ka') grip his forearm (as he is offering) ... he has the strength of character to keep it from being limp-wristed, but you can see that underneath his sharkskin armor he is actually quite weak. A shame, really, because it looks like he'd otherwise have the makings of a fine warrior .... and lacking strength he's sort of an enigma to a race of warriors. You do sense his strength of character, though, as if it were a ray of sunlight ... practically tangible.

The dwarf says, very carefully articulating each syllable of his name as much for you as for Quickslayer, "My name is Rabbi-Doctor Eliezer Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth, but you can call me Doctor Cohen for now, as I will most likely be interfacing with you in a medical capacity. If you hear me called 'Lazer', that is because I have given permission to those that have earned the right to use that familiar. We thank you for your assistance, but please respect that time I take to measure your character.

"What manner of sword is that, Ka'Xet? It cut in a very physical fashion, showing that it is affected by matter ... and yet, it appears to be made of energy of some sort. And, forgive the bluntness, but what type of humanoid are you? I love learning about new cultures, and I can't ever recall seeing someth-, someone like yourself."

Darrius,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given your eclectic learning, your knowledge of the cultures of the standard humanoid races is on par with Lazer's own. However, his is more formal study deeper into known races, whereas your knowledge of humanoids is more broad-based because of your early (pre-game) attempts to research what your lineage is.

Ka'Xet appears to be a very rare and reclusive humanoid known as a 'xeph'. Xephs are fast and hardy, but gangly of limbs and weaker than most people ... this one seems to be particularly short for his type, as most xephs tend to be at or just slightly shorter than their human counterparts. However, his build suggests nothing slight or weak. Xephs are known to have a burst of speed that they can call upon at very limited times, and many are able to focus their will into a semi-physical sword, the details of which are well beyond your knowledge, but having something to do with mental powers and psychics and such.

Celiss, meanwhile - following the basic pleasantries - you and Korian have the glorious job of going through the bodies. Your shield spell expires. Any poking around Vakrissa will be met with the baring of Quickslayer's two real claws, his four incarnum blue claws, and the three incarnum heads on his bizarre helm. Korian simply shakes his head no and says, "She is not a victim of a robbery. She will be buried properly with her things and her scythe will be set up as a memorial at he grave. Rabbi Cohen himself was a legal executor of the will, and her money goes partly to the Crystal Wardens, and partly - along with this month's wages - to animal rescues in the area."

Of course, that means Gut Tugger and Rowyn are ready for looting spoils of victory (aka, 'funding the war against terrorism'). Gut Tugger has only one item, it is a magical collar that has a moderate aura of abjuration.

Rowyn has the following:
    • +1 Rapier
    • Masterwork hand crossbow w/ 9 bolts, all of which are coated in some venom.
    • +1 leather armor
    • Masterwork buckler
    • 2 potions: CMW, and the other one you actually are able to deduce on the spot to be a potion of gaseous form. The CMW potion is instantly given to Darrius for a whopping 18 healing (one point shy of max), and Darrius is now more than mobile.
    • The wand she dropped after repeatedly trying to use it on Celiss (charm person).
    • Another wand with an unknown aura.
    • A gold earring (appraise later).
    • A bejewelled necklace (appraise later).
    • A skeleton key .... which you can only guess unlocks all the places in this underhall (you hope).

She had no coins on her person.

Lazer says, "Darrius is back from the dead, and we'll not leave Vakrissa here. I have no more healing magic, so I am plum useless other than using the wand of ray of enfeeblement. Celiss is moderately banged up as well. I know that we beat what surely was the leader and her lieutenant/pet/whatever, so I don't expect what comes after this to be too ridiculously tough. But we've enacted our retribution, Quickslayer ... Ka'Xet. I wanna look around just a little bit to see if we can't find anything more on Vanthus Vanderboren, but after that I think we should leave so as not to tempt the gods."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-07-02 at 10:36 PM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413

HalflingRangerGuy

Doc Kohain, 'twill be, cobber. What you have your globbos laid upon is me soulblade. 'Tis an extension of me will, solidified into a weapon, providing me with an opportunity to exert most grievous wounds upon those who would do innocents, me boyos, and your 'umble servant, any 'arm. Takes but a moment to manifest. As for me race, mate, I am what is called a Xeph.

24. - Top - End - #414

Lazer will ask that Quickslayer and Ka'Xet cover Vakrissa will some of the rug in this room, to help diminish the smell (since her braincase and brain were parted, and the smell of a brain is vile), for the sake of modesty for living and dead, and as a sign of respect.

Lazer has Darrius and Korian look things over carefully in the room. Both are equally in searching things out, and Korian adds to that with phenomenal olfactory sense. They find a lot of treasure.

The bookshelf to the north holds several minor objects of value. The books themselves are novels, mostly adventure stories or erotica, none of particularly high value. Some of the statuettes are valuable though, including an alabaster statuette of what Celiss and Lazer determine is a succubus, an onyx statuette of what the scholars ID as a displacer beast, and a silver statuette of a rearing unicorn. The stuffed animals consist of small but dangerous creatures like stirges, cobras, Small monstrous spiders, and even what looks to be a giant shrew the size of a cat. None of these are worth much more than a few gold coins.

The two boxes on the shelves are jewelry boxes which themselves are valuable. One is a darkwood coffer which contains seven silver and gold necklaces. The iron box contains a dozen rings and earrings. The wooden cupboard contains several different articles of clothing sized for a human woman, including three courtier's outfits, a noble's outfit, and a flowing (and scandalous) robe of shimmering lavender which appears to be very expensive.

There is a door to the south, and even though you (likely) have the keys, Lazer wants Darrius to be careful anyway. The door opens easily enough with the skeleton key and with no sign of any traps. You must now be in Rowyn's bedroom. The floor of this room is thickly carpeted, and the walls have been smoothed with plaster and painted a soothing light green. A delicate crystalline chandelier hangs from the center of the ceiling. To the south, a dressing table sits next to a padded stool, and a large canopied bed with silk sheets looms to the southeast. Between these two objects sits a heap of oversized cushions.

The search of her room begins in earnest. Korian's sense of smell makes him believe that the padded cusions was probably Gut Tugger's bed. A search of the dressing table turns up a large collection of exotic and expensive perfumes - 24 vials in all.

A quick search of the bed finds a small cache of letters hidden between the mattreses. Investigation reveals that these letters are from none other than Vanthus; they are exceptionally racy love letters written to Rowyn and dating back several weeks. It'll take an hour to read through them all, but there are a few pieces of information that is most noteable. [I'll be sending handouts in E-mail.]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Excerpts from Vanthus's Letters to Rowyn Kellani...

(Dated 2 days before the fire that slew the elder Vanderborens...)
    "... My parents have grown soft. I'm not worried in the slightest that they suspect anything, my delicate flower. The funds you've trusted me with have been more than enough to pay off the local guards, the harbor watch, and the ship's crew to say nothing about the new cargo. Hell ... they even offered to help load the barrels! Of course, I didn't tell them what was inside - I'm sure they'd sing a different song if they knew just how much alchemist's fire we loaded into the hold of my father's new plaything. I'll be following the ship's progress for a few days to make sure the fire does the trick, so you'll not be seeing me for at least half a week. Keep your bed warm for me!"

(Dated 3 days after the fire...)
    "... It's unbelievable! Sure, she's the eldest sibling, but she knows nothing of life! She spent the last half of her childhood in Thenalar learning how to fold napkins and play the violin, for Hell's sake! It just goes to show you how insane my parents really were...leaving everything in her care like that! Whatever. She'll need the house to live off of, I suppose. Lavinia's not a bad lass, really ... I miss our time together, to tell the truth. Think she'd be interested in joining the Lotus? I doubt it. And anyway, a second Vanderboren tragedy might get too many people curious. No, for now, whatever's in the vault will have to do ..."

(Dated 2 days ago ...)
    "... I really wish you could've been there, my little dragon, to see their faces as I closed the door! Lavinia's never going to get anywhere hiring fools like them. I wonder if they've found Perkus yet? I hope they didn't die too quickly.

"In any case, on to the purpose of this letter. Brissa's in the other room, getting ready for a night out on the town, so I'll have to be quick. Remember that thing she hinted about to me? About the pirates who were supposedly using Kraken's Cove as a base for their smuggling operation? Turns out she wasn't spinning tales - I've heard that they'll be arriving within the week with a particularly rich cargo. I'll bring her with me on the pretext of joining up with them, get their guard down, and when they're not expecting it my men'll light the ships on fire! It'll be a simple task to pluck the treasure from the water once all those fools are dead. Should be more than enough to make up for what we lost when Lavinia inherited rather than me.

"I tell you ... burning people to death on their own boats? It's the simplest way to make money yet. Wish I'd thought of it years ago!"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415

It's some trouble, but Korian does a lot in helping Darrius notice a secret door. No traps on the door, and then it is opened to reveal a 5PW, 15' long going to the north, at the end of which is a door on the east wall.

Darrius checks the door for traps, taking his sweet, sweet time. He notices that the door lock itself is trapped ... that the key to use isn't enough, but has to be turned counterclockwise or it will set off a poison-dart trap in the hallway. He unlocks the door and opens it with the key.

There is a plain stone room beyond that is empty, save for three large chests made of wood and iron.

"Treasury, no doubt," says Lazer. "Check every ounce of flooring and the chests..."

Darrius checks the floor and notices that there are numerous holes for spikes to come out. He knows that until he finds the mechanical source, the best thing he can do is painstakingly go ... literally an inch (not five-foot-square) at a time ... and disable what he can. It isn't until he gets to the NE chest that he discovers it is just a weighted switch that he has to move to shut the trap in the entire room down.

The northwest chest is locked (but not trapped), and one of the keys on the skeleton keyring open it. Inside is a fantastic amount of stolen wealth. These items probably represent the work of countless minor burglaries and thefts perpetrated upon Sasserine over the past several months. An initial glance easily assesses the worth to be several thousand gold pieces.

"Looks like this line of work is finally paying off," says Korian.

"We help with killing Gut Tugger and Rowyn," say Quickslayer, "when you was about to run. Me and Ka'Xet get a share."

"You saved our lives," says Rabbi Cohen. "Of course you get a share."

The southwest chest is likewise untrapped but opened by one of the keys. Within is a fantastic amount of gold and gemstones - all of which are neatly collected in silk bags bearing the Vanderboren family crest. The contents of the chest represent all that remains of the wealth that Vanthus stole from the Vanderboren vault, and must easily exceed the wealth of the other chest.

Lazer cuts off Quickslayer as he whistles at all the gems and gold, "No ... no share of this. This we return to our employer, from whom it was stolen and is still marked as hers."

There is some grumbling, but Lazer is able to appease him enough to say, "Whatever we sell these other valuables at, you'll get a share ... but we are not divvying out my Lady's fortune."

And so begins hauling .... hauling of the chests and Varissa's body. The guard is notified of the whereabouts of Rowyn Kellani's body, and Lazer has to standby to make sure he can escort what he can. With the evidence available, and no money and no one to pay them to look the other way, it is damning: the daughter of a powerful noblewoman was the head of the Lotus Dragons and is now dead; Vanthus was responsible for killing his parents and many other general crimes of murder and is branded a criminal; and, the various boards and strange 'flags' below are used to try to untangle whatever criminal plots are afoot, and likely included the assassination of the late Lord Islaran as well.

But before the watch came, as he watch discovers, word must've passed quickly that the boss was dead. Anything else that was remotely valuable has been stripped from the guild, and everyone is gone in hiding. Anyone who is caught with the tattoo of the Lotus Dragons is branded as being culpable for conspiracy to commit a capital crime (assassination of a noble, as well as other things), and are to be captured on sight for execution (or killed, if that is not possible).
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-07-03 at 08:43 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #416

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about multi-posting like this, gang, but I felt it was better to split things up into more manageable chunks than to have one massive post.

Vakrissa is buried privately by her peers in the jungle. The PCs are allowed to offer a wake (and Lazer has been helping with gentle repose), but all the pleading in the world will not get the PCs allowed to see the burial service her order has ... except for Korian and Ka'Xet (and Quickslayer, of course). As such, Lazer holds a memorial for her at the manor.

Once everything has been investigated below, Lady Vanderborne finds that the Taxidermist's Guildhall (which she now owns courtesy of the party) includes what lies below it ... so there is an interesting underground complex as well.

Ka'Xet, given your talents and your bravery, an offer is made by Lady Lavinia Vanderboren - the patron and employer of the other PCs - for you to work with her as a specialist as needed, and that you never fear being asked to do anything which would go against your particular mores. Pay is 100 gp a month if you accept.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, I know you are going up to 3rd level as a Soulknife on side 1, but what of side 2? Are you going to take nomad 2 or ranger 2?

Nae'etholi (Quickslayer), for his part, wants nothing to do with city politicians and their ilk. His work here is done, and he recommends Ka'Xet take the job, since he would be taking up where Vakrissa left off for whatever the fates have in store.

It is a time of changes, some more drastic than others .....

Celiss has become much more confident, and in a few short days her reaction time and agility has increased greatly. She has excelled in using her defensive combat and monastic training to greatly enhance her dodging when moving around opponents.

But not all is well. A few nights after the success against Rowyn, she wakes up screaming, her body wracked with pain. She thrashes terribly, and she has to be strapped down. All night, she is delirious with dreams of punishment and tyrannical enforcement of laws.

The next morning, she is a changed ..... woman? Her general body type is the same as it was before. She is leaner, and yet just as heavy. Her body is covered in lots of tiny red scales that offer some protection. No longer are her nails simply growing ... they've grown and are very thick and sharp, being on par with Korian's own. There is a horn/scale/bone protrusion of some sort that grows from her skull, the same color as her scales, but smooth. They, and Celiss' skeletal structure, are sturdy enough to use them as weapons (unarmed strike, still only do bludgeoning damage). She has a red prehensile tail. Her eyes are a weird, inverted, amber-and black ring, but definitely looks fiendish.

Darrius' changes are almost as dramatic but are come by much more easily. His skin was getting darker anyway, but now he has small, slick black scales. He also has claws now, and as sharp as Korian's or Celiss'.

Darrius, because of alignment verification (as per PM) ... it wasn't something you used before. But, you have honed your ability to detect evil. In fact, you are the ony person in the group who can detect any alignment shades (detect evil only), since Doctor Cohen is a Healer, not cleric, and doesn't have such spells or divinations. Anyway, ever since Celiss turned into a definitively devilish form, she radiates moderate evil.

Korian has grown an inch and gained five pounds (6' 1", 194#). Korian is both hardier, leaner, and possessing greater confidence. His nails surpass (slightly) those of Celiss and Darrius.

Darrius, you've finally gotten to see more of what Korian can do ... and his ability to do extraordinary stunts with his combat style is very attractive. If you could do some of the things he could do in combat, you could fight smarter, not harder.

It seems Rabbi Cohen is making a life choice that is causing controversy with others in his clan. He has already taken the basic orders of some order or somesuch and is called a nazir. It seems that his year is up, and that he is to not be so lean on enjoying the finer things in life (such as alcohol or cutting his hair). He goes to a wild party held by his people, and gets absolutely blitzed, claiming that it is some manner of commandment or something ... leave it to dwarves to demand that getting drunk serves a religious obligation. They then go about shaving his hair and beard as it is almost like a frat party that teases the drunk ... now that is odd for dwarves!

Turns out that this was preparation for some bigger ceremony. There is great sadness from his people, and truth be told, even from Eliezer himself. But he feels this calling strongly, and now that the effects of the party are over, he returns to take an oath that is almost never taken, and even less often granted by senior rabbi: The Order of the Eternal Nazirim. In his devotion to Moradin, Rabbi Cohen will now forever renounce any alcoholic beverages, drugs, stimulants such as caffeine, and any manner of intoxication - so no more temple wine or some of the other exotics that are used by the more 'normal' rabbis in special ceremonies. As an outward display of his devotion, he hereby starts fully shaved - beard and head (and supposedly everywhere else) - and what grows in from this point will be the hair that he nurtures all of his life.

The sadness from his people is that life is to be lived and enjoyed. His people are often seen as very severe, but they are little known, so it is interesting that this offshoot should seem one way, but then be upset if someone is more severe in their devotion than themselves ... or so it would seem to the outsider.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-07-04 at 12:46 AM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417

HalflingRangerGuy

You seem a trig cove, milady. I'm the Lenny then.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ka'Xet is going to be a little more Nomad right now.

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by srgonzo View Post
    You seem a trig cove, milady. I'm the Lenny then.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ka'Xet is going to be a little more Nomad right now.
    Sorry, my little droogie ... I am not up on the language of Alex DeLarge. What the hell did you just say to her?

Also, are you taking employment with House Vanderboren?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #419

HalflingRangerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    "You seem to be a fairly intelligent person of quality. I will accept your offer of employment, and I will endeavor to be a loyal employee.

Trig Cove: Intelligent Person

Lenny: After Leonard Cohen who wrote a song entitled "I'm Your Man."

Don'cha ken-ken basic Common, berk?

30. - Top - End - #420

So, going over spoils .... just to list them
    Spoiler
    Show

• +1 Rapier
    • Masterwork hand crossbow w/ 9 bolts, all of which are coated in some venom.
    • +1 leather armor
    • Masterwork buckler
    • Potion of gaseous form
    • The wand she dropped after repeatedly trying to use it on Celiss (charm person).
    • Another wand with an unknown aura.
    • A gold earring (300 gp).
    • A bejewelled necklace (200 gp).
    • A skeleton key .... which will be kept in trust at the Manor.

Then, we have the expensive objets d'art ...
    Together, Celiss and Lazer (equal in skill) Appraise the following, using Lazer's jeweler's monocle and scales.
    alabaster statuette of a succubus (350 gp)
    onyx statuette of displacer beast (100 gp)
    silver statuette of a rearing unicorn (500 gp)
    darkwood coffer (150 gp)
    iron box (150 gp)
    set of seven gold and silver chain necklaces and bracelets (300 gp total)
    ** 250 gp total after Celiss.
    dozen rings and earrings (550 gp total)
    ** 500 gp total after Celiss.
    (3) human female's courtier's outfits (30 gp apiece)
    noble's outfit (75 gp)
    flowing (scanadalous) robe of shimmering lavender silk (450 gp)
    total contents of the box in the treasury (5450 gp)

The paintings and maps in Rowyn's lounge and the documents and maps in the war room are more than enough to prove the magnitude of the service the PCs provided to the city.

Considering that - assuming all they've heard so far is true - Celiss is of noble birth, it stands to reason that she should get the noble's outfit and a gold chain and necklace and a ring and set of earrings (100 gp jewelry total) to show her station appropriately.

This is particularly fortuitous, because several days after Rowyn's power over the guild was broken and the Lotus Dragons disappeared (at least from their current base of ops), a representative of the Dawn Council invites the PCs to a banquet and dance at Castle Teraknian so the council can thank them in person for the service they provided to Sasserine. (Quickslayer is gone again, and asks his name and contribution be left out.) At the end of the banquet, Lord Worrin Lidu presents Celiss Nightrom, Darrius Wavebreaker, Korian Hleidson and Rabbi-Doctor Eliezer Cohen ben Mordechai with the Spire of Sasserine, a medal awarded to those who perform great services in the city. Anyone wearing the medal openly in public will find that it grants a +2 circumstance bonus to Diplomacy and Gather Information checks made within Sasserine (in most situations).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, Ka'Xet ... but just like Chewbacca, you don't get the medal at the end of the movie. Next franchise movie, when you do more instead of come at the end of the last fight, you'll be recognized. As it is, you weren't specifically invited so much as you were protection for Lady Lavinia Vanderboren.
    Despite their bestial appearances, the world now sees the strange 'creatures' Celiss, Darrius, and Korian publicly. For now, though horrifying or scary in some ways (and strangely beautiful in others), they are interesting, novel, and even something of a bizarre fashion. But heroes are like fads ... they fade with trends, and often unhappily so.

Lavina certainly doesn't forget her crew, either. News that her brother was responsible for their parents' death shocks her, but she recovers quickly, steeling her resolve to put the whole affair behind them. She gives Celiss, Darrius, Korian, and Rabbi Cohen each 1,000 gp for their services. For the aid they lent at the end, she gives Ka'Xet and Nae'etholi each 250 gp.

In the meantime, she wants the party to continue to investigate Vanthus' whereabouts, but to enjoy themselves for several days of rest. Thoughts of rehabilitation have left her mind now, though - all she wants is to see her brother face justice for his crimes.

All of the liquable cash (above) is sold and the like (the noblewoman's outfits are worth 15 gp on sellback, and there is some haggling on Lazer's part). Total take, monetarily, before any sellback for magic (if any) = 8449.5 gp. Take to be split 7 ways (incl. Quickslayer and Ka'), one for each individual, and another share as a party fund. This comes to 1207 gp, 7 cp for each share (and a faint fraction leftover for party funds).

Sheets have been updated, and a majority of coin is in platinum pieces (pp).

Next, magic items and combat items. Darrius uses a special soulmeld in concert with Celiss' knowledge to determine that the unknown wand is a wand of animate dead with 5 charges remaining, and the wand of charm person has 33 charges remaining.

Korian asks for the magical rapier. It's not his weapon of choice, but it is a magical weapon which is still sharper than his claws.

Lazer recommends Darrius get the masterwork hand crossbow. The poison that had coated the blades is no longer good, but his ability to find weak points in the opening of a battle makes an othewise weak weapon quite capable.

The magic leather armor (leather +1) will also go to Darrius. He won't suffer from any imbalancing, and it is just as good protection (and lighter) as his current suit of normal studded leather.

The masterwork buckler will be sold and divvied into shares ...

The wand of animate dead (5 charges) will be was destroyed for the evil thing it was. (Which, in my game, gives XP to those who would do such a thing ... rather than making players feel that they're robbed by playing good folk who feel they have to sell such wickedness or take it in the short financially. It may not work out just the same ... but it's better than nothing and allows moral/ethical character to act appropriately to such materials.)

Lazer wants the wand of charm person, since he's the face man ... either that, or Ka'Xet can have it if he wishes.

Lazer thinks that Ka'Xet - the movement expert - should take the potion of gaseous form.

Please let me know if there are any conflicts here ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-07-05 at 09:33 PM.
    Show