Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 480 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Lazer nods, "The math wizard is right. It is simply cheaper to purchase your own everlasting rations. Since Darrius already seemed like he was going to anyways, then it's simply a matter of Ka'Xet paying 350 gp for his own as well."

    Darrius, Ka'Xet, do you buy individual everlasting rations (350 gp apiece)? Is there anything else that either of you seek out?

    Celiss, you can get both items for listed cost (425 gp total). Anything else?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss decides to begin saving up for more standard protective equipment-specifically, she has her eye on a protective ring or cloak.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  3. - Top - End - #453
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Sooo, no on the two items she thought about.

    Darrius, Ka'Xet .... ?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Sorry, I'm still not getting it ... does this mean that Ka'Xet is willing to drop 500 gp on the everlasting rations if Darrius does the same?
    Yes, yes he is.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  5. - Top - End - #455
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius? What's your call?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius decides to settle on the single pouch for himself, as the full box just isn't practical after all.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  7. - Top - End - #457
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    So that means - and much more sensibly so - that Ka'Xet will pay less money for a feedbag everlasting rations for himself as well. I'll get to doing sheet updates later this evening or tomorrow.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Sooo, no on the two items she thought about.
    No, she does buy them, just not anything else.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  9. - Top - End - #459
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    All items purchased, appropriate wealth deducted, sheets updated with items ... Everyone is set up for training and whatnot. Now, it's time for a reality of city living ... it's not just what power you wield, but who you know with what power they can wield for you (and vice-versa).

    Celiss, Damaal the Wry has been amazed by your incredible knack for magic and your brilliance and ... yeah, he is fascinated by your strange abilities. He is a member in good standing of Sasserine's prestigious magical cabal, the Witchwardens. "It's up to you, but I can write a good recommendation. Thing is, you'll have to cough up a 20 gp entry fee, and it is only 10 gp a month for continued membership. The benefits for us wizards can't be beat, though ... great fraternity-sorority of magical research, discussion, and even trading ... as well as great deals on research materials and the like. Just putting that bee in your bonnet. They're probably going to want to know who and what you are, though."
    Spoiler
    Show
    How do you explain who/ what you are to him? Because he's going to ask. Do you tell him anything? Do you tell him everything? What?
    ...........................................

    Ka'Xet, the DM has something in mind for you, but he'd rather talk to you on the phone ... not only to catch up with his buddy back from sea, but also because he won't have to type out a ton of stuff.
    ............................................

    Darrius, you really aren't approached (yet) by any group that wants anything special or particular from you. If you are interested in any type of group, you'd have to seek them out yourself.
    .............................................

    Korian will be spending a ton of time in the Champion's District, at Sasserine Arena. It seems that his need for training goes well beyond anything Lady Lavinia can do for him particuarly. Being extremely exotic, he is asked to join Zelkarune's as a "Friend of the Horns" with no benefits beyond training, but no commitments, either. He pays 10 gp, easily bests another candidate, and now has training benefits. He is given some chores and the like, but currently he is being wooed. Even he knows that will change. Once he starts getting serious about things, he'll have to pay his dues as a pit boy like any other up-and-coming berk.
    ...........................................

    The real prestige, as can be expected, concerns Rabbi-Doctor Eliezer Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath. For his exceptional service to the city (he was seen as leading the party against the Lotus Dragons) and to his noble patron (the Vanderborens - the previous and the current Lady Lavinia), a minor noble house and member of the Dawn Council, for his brilliant scholarliness and auspicious performance at the Academy .... the rabbi has been offered membership (as even favored clerks, scribes, and functionaries may) into the Dawn Council. Of course, his incredible political prowess and his stunning charisma doesn't hurt. Right?

    Actually, anybody with a rudimentary sense of politics can see what is happening here. First, as the Vanderboren house - albeing a minor noble house that is not one of the ruling seven - has been working hard (through Cohen & Co.'s efforts) to put itself back on the map, it suits Lady Lavinia to have more of a voice in the Council as it is for the Council to have more of a voice with her. Next, this dwarf is definitely going places ... even if it is to an early grave. So he is "rewarded" with the "opportunity" to focus on working on the best interests of the city. The Dawn Council's driving goal is to see Sasserine return to its roots as a port of call for exotic trade and exploration.

    Finally, while there are dwarves of other sub-cultures resident in Sasserine, Rabbi Eliezer Cohen's group (the chasidim of Moradin) are seen as 'clannish.' Now, there are plenty of poor dwarves in a small ghetto subsection of Cudgel District (where most of this group live in a somewhat insular community). But there is money there, as well .... I mean, a lot of money held among many influential ones. For such a tiny demographic, they hold a lot of fiducial and social power ... and the Dawn Council wants inroads into that middle-class wealth and power. If not directly, then through a new contact: Rabbi Cohen. Meanwhile, this group of dwarves - who seem to have a hard time moving upwards (even among other dwarves), despite merit - can now claim some higher level of prestige.

    This is the absolute best that the smartest AND (not or) wisest AND politically savvy can see in all that is transpiring here. No doubt, there is more happening here. This is all rather low-key. There are no town criers about mentioning the first of these dwarves gaining political power ... and the Moradinites aren't talking, either. The hands begin to wash each other in The Great Game. Lazer is named a "High Citizen" which is higher than the vast majority can hope to achieve in Sasserine, but the politically knowledgeable (Celiss and Darrius, not Ka'Xet or Korian) know that this is more a decorative honorific and carries little real clout.

    The next major event is that Rabbi Eliezer is going to marry a distant cousin (for Darrius and Celiss, you understand that this is a cousin to his adopted family) that is also of the Ironoath Clan. She is the daughter of a wealthy dwarven minor noble whose family is one of the more classically "worldly" dwarves that also worship Moradin. (Though there is a unified front face to the world from Lazer's community that this is a fine marriage, it seems that internally there are twice as many different strongly held opinions as there are dwarves there ... much dealing with whether or not he is 'marrying within the faith' or not.) The marriage will not happen immediately, but it is already planned ...... probably to happen soon after ... the next adventure!

    EDIT: Of note, what is known, as the PCs are enjoying their 15 minutes of fame ... folks want to know what adventurers do with their money. While most of the party enjoys basic anonymity in this, word has leaked out that Rabbi Cohen has put forth about a half-grand of gold to various charities in his community (including the church itself, healing house, and school).
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-08-03 at 02:18 AM.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #460
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet spends about five gold going around to various orphanages (however many there are in town), and delivering school supplies, candy, and playing with the kids.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Celiss, Damaal the Wry has been amazed by your incredible knack for magic and your brilliance and ... yeah, he is fascinated by your strange abilities. He is a member in good standing of Sasserine's prestigious magical cabal, the Witchwardens. "It's up to you, but I can write a good recommendation. Thing is, you'll have to cough up a 20 gp entry fee, and it is only 10 gp a month for continued membership. The benefits for us wizards can't be beat, though ... great fraternity-sorority of magical research, discussion, and even trading ... as well as great deals on research materials and the like. Just putting that bee in your bonnet. They're probably going to want to know who and what you are, though."
    Spoiler
    Show
    How do you explain who/ what you are to him? Because he's going to ask. Do you tell him anything? Do you tell him everything? What?
    ...........................................
    Celiss mentally notes the information about the group, but decides to commit to joining it later.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Celiss will basically say that it's a family thing-she isn't really sure what's going on herself.


    Celiss looks for any sort of jobless-aid-center she can find(as in, a place that helps people out of work, etc. find a job and income, not a shelter) and donates 20 GP. While having a place to stay and food to eat when you're down is great, being helped get back up again is better.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  12. - Top - End - #462
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss doesn't really find a job-placement agency .... but she can find some way to put that 20 gp to charitable use. Considering her worship of Delleb (sort of a god of scholars), she might take the 'teach a man to fish' approach by going to a school or two to help with supplies. Considering Ka'Xet's approach ... you probably go together. Just because the power of the Lotus Dragon thieves guild is broken and they are scattered, doesn't mean that you haven't made enemies.

    Calendar ...

    Planting 13: Lotus Dragons defeated.

    Planting 14: Freeday, day of rest ... and much post-adventure admin.

    Planting 15: Date of the awards dinner for Lavinia's employees (that would be you guys). Some consternation over what to call the group....

    Planting 16: Damaal the Wry contacted for requisition of magical items. Ka'Xet gives combat training to group, focusing on basic holds and escapes.

    Later that day, Ka'Xet goes for his own tutelage under Quickslayer. Korian to the Sasserine Arena. Celiss has mental resistance training with Damaal. Lazer to temple to study religious texts. Per request, Lady Lavinia hires Tiaiess, a male half-elf locksmith to give advanced mechanical training to Darrius.

    Planting 17: Rabbi Cohen's induction into Dawn Council and being named High Citizen. Celiss begins, w/ Damaal's tutelage, to begin studying the arcano-scientific properties of time (and chronomancy, time-related magics). Darrius meditates, mainly focusing on the chakras of his feet. Ka'Xet and Korian train in general athletics under Quickslayer.

    Later, Korian at Arena. Darrius receives command training from Lazer. Ka'Xet begins to learn the concept of shaping his psi-energy. Celiss, sensing the growing power within her ring, meditates with it and studies it as best as she can.

    Planting 18: Korian applies to Zelkarune’s Horns, and wins first match. Lazer is engaged to distant adopted cousin of Ironoath clan, daughter of minor noble in town. Damaal starts to teach Celiss about body-enhancing transmutations. Darrius coaches Ka'Xet on swimming.

    Later, Celiss finishes learning about bear's endurance, and with Damaal's guidance begins penning it in her book. A hired investigator is retained as a tutor for Darrius for stakeouts, surveillances, and the like. Ka'Xet trains with Crystal Wardens.

    Planting 19: Rabbi Cohen is bequeathed a new warhammer, called Gili-Nachum as a badge of station. Darrius approaches Korian with questions about his strange martial powers, and he learns about swordsages. Korian discusses the gladiatorial group called Zelkarune's Horns, that can help teach Darrius the things that suit him best, but otherwise agrees to take him on as a pupil, starting him off with self-defense awareness for first strikes or evasions. Ka'Xet gets advanced survival training from Crystal Wardens. Damaal returns with items and collects fees for magic items; he teaches Celiss the rudiments of illusory defenses.

    Later, Korian teaches Darrius how to begin to improvise more in battle. Ka'Xet - mental focus training with Crystal Wardens. Celiss, whose countenance is becoming as beautiful as she is fierce looking, accidentally scares several people in the marketplace today ... a much more dramatic action than ever, and only localized to that time???

    That night, Lady Lavinia urges the party to continue with their investigations regarding her brother. The only real lead was in Vanthus' letters to Rowyn, that he would be rendezvousing with smuggler-pirates at a place called Kraken's Cove. Lavinia has some of the maps her parents gave her, and gives them to Ka'Xet to have a look. Ka'Xet is quite able to find where Kraken's Cove lies. The cove itself lies on the eastern shore of Blood Bay, about 60 miles along a marshy coastline (or a mere 40 miles as the gull flies). The brisk salt-breeze of the ocean would make for a pleasant journey, if it weren't for the oppressive proximity of the trackless marshlands and the looming Amedio jungle beyond.

    The safest and fastest method of travel is by boat, but they can be expensive and no one is trained in boating or sailing (though Rabbi Cohen has been learning). Another option is to hire a fishing boat or a similar vessel. Blood Bay is a notorious region, and most sailors and fishermen would balk at visiting that location without getting paid very well.

    Travel by land is possible, but it is fantastically grueling and dangerous.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-08-04 at 02:25 AM.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius, for his part, intends to take some time to visit The Seekers, mostly to learn more what they're about. He doesn't interrogate them about the late Vanderborens' connections to the guild by any means, but getting in good with the guild would be the first step towards discovering such information.

    He's also interested in supplying a small portion of his own funds and, if he can manage it, a portion of his monthly pay to go directly to The Azure Cathedral to assist in any functions they might deal with concerning curing illness stemming from long periods at sea and to any programs they might have to aid widows who have lost their husbands at sea. While he's interested in helping out the less fortunate, he's not very fond of kids. At all. Giving to broken families and diseased sailors seems the next best thing in his eyes.

    If he has any free time remaining, he'd also like to watch a few matches at the Sasserine Arena, particularly if Korian is going to have any matches.

    Spoiler
    Show
    When we're in downtime or otherwise going about business in the city, I'd like to have the following Soulmelds
    Mantle and Pelt, obviously
    Silvertongue Mask
    Adamant Pauldrons
    Lightning Gauntlets

    No chakra binds, as I don't have anything in the Crown.

    Essentia kept in the Mask when around town, unless someone wishes to see his face. Cause I think it was that no essentia and no benefits equals invisible melds, right? Or was that another game? X.x Fehk, my brain is stew.


    [Edit]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, timeskip ninja shenanigans! I wasn't sure how much more time we were going to sit in downtime, so I cut my post short a bit. The timeskip fits rather well, except for my wish to mingle with the Seekers, so hopefully I didn't mess you up too horribly much. >.<
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2011-08-04 at 02:29 AM.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  14. - Top - End - #464
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Also that evening, Darrius mentions asks to conduct personal business the next day. Considering that the obviously safest means of getting to Kraken's Cove is to hire out a vessel for this purpose, those arrangements will be tended to by Lazer and Celiss.

    Planting 20: Lazer and Celiss go to hire a vessel. Celiss is new to negotiatins, but actually aids Lazer brilliantly (+3 to Aid), proving her natural prowess and Lazer's excellent teaching. With this help, Lazer and Celiss talk the vessel master from 20 gp/ person down to 8 gp/ person, with 10 gp/ day waiting while the party completes business in Kraken's Cove. The reason for the initial (and relatively still) high cost is that Blood Bay (within which Kraken's Cove lies) is a notorious region, and several masters had to be contacted before this one would even take the job.

    Darrius seeks out that place he remembered in the Merchant's District (the same place as his lady's manor). He finds it, an unassuming buidling with a sign out front of eight silver plates arrayed in a star pattern around a central circle. The mere fact that he recognized what the symbol meant when it is an otherwise (semi-)secret society impresses them with his scholarliness. And with his aquatic abilites and noble patronage, they recognize his ability to go places many other Seekers simply could not get to without enormous resources or magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I need to know what Darrius tells them about:
    * How he learned about the symbol of the Seekers. Make something up.
    * What he shares about what he can do. The Seekers are about sharing knowledge about the world, especially from an archaelogical standpoint. Not sharing some knowledge about yourself means you couldn't be trusted with sharing secrets of your exploits, interesting maps, lore, and even ancient treasures that could be studied.
    To be a Seeker, it is explained, you must have a driving ambition to discover the secrets of the past, and you must be willing to share - to a point - information that could help other Seekers on the path to discovery, illumination, and enrichment. Most members consider themselves scholars of the ancient world, and fluency with languages (including those that fell out of use centuries ago) is considered a mark of pride.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Members of the Seekers are expected to support the lodges they visit with a tithe equalling roughly 10% of their income. This is an informal system, so a Seeker who routinely donates rare books to a lodge library might be held in higher esteem than one who simply drops a few coins into the lockbox. All members are expected to keep an explorer's journal, and to turn over the journal for transcription at least once a month. Upon graduation from apprenticeship, all Seekers receive a silver ring bearing the eight-pointed star of the order, identifying you as a Seeker. Members are expected not to harm others they know to be Seekers, but mistakes often happen in the field and no one spends a lot of time worrying about those who violate this stricture.

    Seekers benefit from anonymity, attracting the of only those able to follow the subtext of history or trace the wall scrapings of a plundered tomb. Exploration of the southern seas and the jungles of the Amedio coast has also attracted the enmity of the Scarlet Brotherhood, who shares the Seekers interest in ruined temples and forsaken tombs.

    Big pluses: Simple skill and having 'been around the block' as an explorer/ adventurer. Appraise; K (History and Geography); even, to some extent, Diplomacy. Completing missions assigned by master Seeker. Being able to read or write in a "dead" language. Donation of rare books, maps, and magical items to Seeker lodge. Winning crucial lodge debates vs Rival seekers.

    Big no-nos: Revealing Seeker secrets to non-members! (This includes your own party members!!!) Losing a crucial lodge debate with rival seeker. Wrecking a ship.

    Ka'Xet invites Korian along to train under Quickslayer for general athletics skills during the early part of the day.

    In the late afternoon ... Korian trains in the Arena. Darrius gets in touch with the Azure Cathedral (see above). There is no 'allotment' system ... Darrius has to physically take his earnings/ month and give them to the church; it isn't/ won't be automatic. Ka'Xet will continue survival training with Crystal Wardens, including staying overnight and to return in the morning, when the group is expected to leave. Damaal the Wry works with Celiss in preparing her body and mind for greater magics in general, and making sure she understands the toll on the body. Lazer will be studying advanced pathology at the Academy.

    Before continuing ... Darrius, do you accept apprenticeship into the Seekers?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Upon meeting The Seekers directly, Darrius answers their questions quite honestly. Between work as a messenger and scuttlebutt between passengers aboard the ill-fated voyage of the Silver Duchess not so long ago he picked up the name and a fraction of their purpose. He's not sure if one of their members was aboard the Silver Duchess, but he did not see their face as he was eavesdropping at the time. As the ship was a mercantile vessel it seems odd that it would have been a scholar, but if the man had been headed for lost treasures it might have been easier to slip aboard such a vessel than charter an expedition. As for being a messenger factoring into it, well, he knows a fair amount about Sasserine from running errands and whatnot, but he can't recall any details specifically. He assures them that it wasn't as though every street urchin spoke of them, however. Enough to know the name, at best, and without hearing of them in more detail aboard the Duchess he'd know nothing at all.

    Concerning his own talents, the majority are fairly straightforward. He's a strong swimmer and need not worry about a lack of air while searching downed ships and flooded temples. Beyond that, he has a veritable toolbox of unique talents he can call on from day to day in the form of his soulmelds, and so long as he is aware of a meld he can call upon it. It is more involved than that, of course, but he'd rather show confidence than ignorance. Given this toolbox, he could greatly enhance his stealth capabilities one day, seek ancient knowledge from the souls of the departed the next, and the day after focus on his martial prowess in case a tomb or some such needs cleaning out.

    He's greatly interested in learning secrets of the past, and particularly interested in knowledge concerning dragons and the workings of incarnum, so if the Seekers will have him, he'd greatly appreciate the opportunity.

    Spoiler
    Show
    >.> Bleh, I just realized I wrote about dialog, but didn't do any actual dialog directly. Feh... too late for straight thinking.
    >.< I hope it being written in that manner isn't annoying.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  16. - Top - End - #466
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius, given your tremendous physical and mental gifts and unique and adaptable training, the Seekers accept you as an apprentice. What adventuring you have is really all you've shown in practice (potential gifts are nothing without having proven them in missions). You are asked to get yourself a journal and to start inking your travels and exploits. FYI, being an apprentice carries very few benefits.
    Spoiler
    Show
    S'okay about dialogue. 'Cause honestly, it would've been several hours of discussion, not just a few seconds or minutes.

    That evening, the group gets together for a final planning meeting, where you find that Lazer and Celiss procured relatively cheap travel for so dangerous an area (8 gp/ person for the trip, and 10 gp total for the ship to wait around).

    Unless you have anything to add ... I mean intrinsically, cause you can flashback simple RP ... please set up any melds or spells for the next day, and we'll be on our way!
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss prepares Magic Missile, Burning Hands and Shield, the last one twice, as well as Blur and Bull's Strength.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Already changed it on the sheet.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  18. - Top - End - #468
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius, what melds do you prepare for your seagoing trek?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    I really should not be awake at almost 3am... ugh.

    Mantle and Pelt, obvious, and... Lightning Gauntlets [Expanded Capacity], Adamant Pauldrons, Crystal Helm [Bound]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  20. - Top - End - #470
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Freeday, 21 Planting 589 CY

    The party gets up wicked early the next morning and report to The High Endeavor, a small cog mastered by Stalstrom Fastbeard. Payment demanded up front for basic portage of passengers (8 gp/ person, taken from sheets). As they travel through town, they see a lot of decorations up already for the upcoming Wormfall Festival, commemorating when the disgusting worm-god Kyuss' attempt to take over the world was broken a few years ago from a hidden temple several leagues away.

    At 0600, the ship is underway. Stalstrom had to promise extra rum to his boys ... they are curious about Ka'Xet, but disturbed by Darrius and Korian. The real shakiness comes about concerning Celiss. Not only is that a woman, but she also has decidedly devilish features! Stalstrom apologizes, but he gives her the best stateroom with a portal, but says that for her sake and to keep his men's minds off of misfortune, she'll have to stay there for the trip.

    Korian keeps the men entertained as he uses the different ropes and poles and mast and such as an acrobat's obstacle course for various types of animalistic 'shadow boxing.' Darrius and Lazer discuss psychology, and play a game called Giving Him the Lie ... wherein one (always Darrius) must come up with a story that mixes elements of fact and fiction, and the other (Lazer) has to guess which is what. Ka'Xet takes this valuable time to chummy up to the High Endeavor's quartermaster to learn how the basics of navigation; he knows more than he expected from his orienteering skill, but is now learning how to apply that to sea travel. Bored in her cabin, Celiss looks over the theories Damaal had given her concerning generating the evocation of heat and focusing it on a target in a burst of flame.

    That afternoon .... Korian works on pure strength workouts and weightlifting. Lazer observes the sailors and Stalstrom's mastery over them, finding the concept of sea travel fascinating. He asks the Master a lot of questions, and only Lazer's gregariousness gives him the answers he seeks instead of an impatient Harrumph! Ka'Xet enjoys the afternoon. With this new form of travel, he is in his element - not sea travel, but any travel. It is exciting, and he enjoys watching the wake of the ship and the clouds and the movements of bird and fish. Surrounded by the life-giving element, Darrius - despite some light chop and rain - enjoys a peaceful and stimulating period of meditation, taking the essence of this environment into his being.

    For Celiss ... it could be the choppier waters the cog is working through as it is cloudy and spatters rain lightly here and there, but Celiss doesn't feel well at all and takes bed early. Her dreams are filled with purely vile thoughts and feelings, as if her very mind were being desecrated.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

    Starday, 22 Planting 589
    Tonight is waning half-moon.


    Morning ..... Lazer checks on Celiss and keeps her company. She utilizes his medical expertise to figure out the areas of body which are most efficacious for debilitating with a single blow. Korian helps out the ship's weaver - to make himself useful and to wile away the time. Darrius, having seen Korian's workout the day before, throws himself into a similar regimen - maybe it's a sense of competition, but he is stronger than the wolverine-man and more and more is given to more physical pursuits. Ka'Xet continues to work with the quartermaster.

    Afternoon ... Celiss finds herself scratching at her fine scales. To keep her company, and because the very tight room is a good way of showing how combat in tight quarters is different from when you have all the space you need, Ka'Xet holds combat training for the party in Celiss' quarters. One of the oddest thing that Ka'Xet notices regards the weak dwarf, Lazer. He is quite lacking in strength (9 Str), and yet, his overall 'sense' of combat - despite not having any real combat skill - seems to be on par with Ka'Xet's own.

    Kraken's Cove is a secluded rift in the coastal cliffs that line the eastern shore of Blood Bay, and the area is riddled with dangerous reefs and submerged threats. Master Stalstrom has neither the experience sailing in that area itself, nor the charts, to support safe travel, and he will not dare approach the cliffs. Instead, he will put around a few miles to the north of Kraken's Cove to a secluded beach. From there, it should ony be a fairly short hike up to the cliff tops and then south along a narrow path that eventually reaches the cove itself.

    The acrid smell of smoke is faintly in the air, but it is 2200 and nothing can be seen. Korian definitely smells it, however, quite fine. "That's no cooking fire. It smells like a wood fire, and definitely bigger than anything you'd make to keep warm. I'm pretty sure I smell hints of oil and flesh as well."

    Lacking any impulse control in saying that in the open, the sailors all gulp at the ominous news. Lazer says, "That seals it, then. By race or heritage, all of us - the party that is - is blessed with the ability to see in the dark, and I and Celiss are able to see even better, having outstanding nightvision. We aren't waiting until morning."

    The High Endeavor pulls around to the clearing area, and a longboat is sent with four sailors to deliver the party. The party is to cast light if there is any problem, but the longboat will return to the ship and not stay ashore.

    The longboat touches shore. It is only a half-moon, though there aren't many clouds. That, and the lantern of the longboat provides enough light so that sailors and heroes all see ... various wildlife litter the beach: monkeys, snakes, parrots. All dead, and all with horribly distorted and deformed bodies.

    Lazer and Ka'Xet look over the bodies. The distortion doesn't appear natural, and must have occurred suddenly. Many have been killed, it seems, by what must be the bites and talons and beaks and claws of other animals. Some just seemed to have died of the shock and physical trauma of the violent change to their bodies. No one has any clue what did this.

    Lazer breathes out slowly and pauses. "Right. Darrius, you've got point. It's dark enough for you to blend easily, but after that we are fully on the move. Korian, you're next. Celiss, than me, than Ka'Xet. Move out, and may our gods preserve us and give us protection that we may not suffer a fate similar to these animals."

    As you hike, there are several points at which the party will notice animals tearing each other apart savagely. The smell of smoke increases...

    Darrius, you are hidden in plain sight, of course, and 10' ahead of the party. But bursting out of the bits of jungle are 4 monkeys (all Tiny size). You didn't see them there, though, and they seemed to have noted your passing for all of your stealth. At first you are startled but take a millisecond to relax when you realize they're just little monkeys. A millisecond later you tense up because you realize there is something very, very wrong with these creatures.

    Surprise Round ...

    Darrius is attacked (and double-flanked) by 4 monkeys. One of them bites him in his left ankle for 1 damage. Another in his right calf for 1 damage. But, thanks to his adamant pauldrons, these paltry bites actually do no damage.

    Round One ...

    Celiss, you are 15' from Darrius. The monkeys appear to be more annoying than truly dangerous. What do you do?

    Also, I want to know what weapons or what-not everyone has out at this time.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-08-12 at 06:59 PM.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss doesn't want to take chances-these things could be infected with whatever has been messing with the animals on the island.

    She moves up to one of the monkeys flanking Darrius and thrusts her sword at it, taking advantage of its distraction-while focusing on her comrade, the thing left itself open to her.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, seeing as I can't cast without my sword I'll have taken it out once we hit the beach.
    Move: Go to monkey.
    Standard: Attack monkey.
    (1d20+8)[26] (Assuming I can flank 'em)
    (1d6+3)[5]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  22. - Top - End - #472
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T22: Celiss doesn't want to take chances - these things could be infected with whatever has been messing with the animals on the island.

    She moves up to one of the monkeys flanking Darrius and thrusts her sword at it, taking advantage of its distraction while focusing on her comrade, the thing left itself open to her. She stabs the thing in the left knee ... and doesn't do any damage!!!

    R1T21: "They're resistant to weapons!" calls Lazer.

    Lazer has Gili-Nachum and the enfeebling wand in his hands. He moves forward to attack (flank) the monkey behind Darrius, and crits for the first time in his adventuring career! He cracks the thing for 3 mod damage (hey, he IS weak) and the warhammer, covered now in flames, does 5 fire damage. The thing is still standing, doesn't appear to have reacted to the pain of its wounds, and is still aggressive but brutally struck.

    R1T20.9: The monkey 'in front' of Darrius misses with its bite.

    R1T20.8: The monkey to Darrius' right bites into Darrius, but its bite is too weak to penetrate his incarnum-based DR.

    R1T20: Korian goes the opposite direction of Celiss, pulling up on Darrius' right-side opponent. He does an interesting leap, and despite his having to close distance, attacks with both the magic rapier and a claw. The rapier doesn't penetrate its hide, its hide seeming much tougher than expected. His claw hits solidly, but only does 1 mod damage.

    R1T19: The monkey on Darrius' left spins around and attacks Celiss. The thing is so small, it has to close more than it is comfortable doing. Only because of the flanking, Celiss makes a beautiful stab to its head, critting for 11 mod damage, dropping it.

    R1T17: The one behind Darrius, smacked hard and its fur and flesh burned, likewise lashes out at the feeble fire-wielding dwarf. Lazer's hammer grazes the monkey for no damage. It bites, and though it gets through Lazer's sharkskin armor, can't seem to bite past the dwarf's own surprisingly tough hide!

    R1T16: Ka'Xet, it is more of a waste to try and angle around to the one non-flanked monkey. Better to close to attack Korian's or Lazer's monkey ... or use missile fire. What do you do?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #473
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Come'n have me needle in yer globbo, changy!

    Spoiler
    Show
    "Here's my soulblade in your eye, you damn, dirty ape!"


    Ka'Xet throws his soulblade at the monkey attacking Lazer

    ATK
    (1d20+6)[7]

    DAM
    (1d6+3)[5]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  24. - Top - End - #474
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T16: "Come'n have me needle in yer globbo, changy!" shouts Ka'Xet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Love the PLANET OF THE APES reference!
    Ka'Xet throws his soulblade at the monkey attacking Lazer, but misses. He concentrates briefly, and a new mindblade appears in his hands. [Since you had a Move Action (MA) left over ....]

    R1T15: Darrius, what do you do? There are mad monkeys to your front, right, and rear ... and you flank the ones to right and rear. These things are so small, they just can't seem - no matter how ferocious, to bite through your DR 1.

    Celiss, you're on deck immediately after Darrius. You are adjacent to the ones forward and rear of Darrius, but not flanking either. Lazer is flanking the one to Darrius' rear. You are 10' from Darrius' left.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-08-14 at 02:19 AM.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius twirls the daggers about his fingers for a moment as he looks over the twisted monkeys. He shakes his head as he swipes at one of their neck's, "Lets try to keep their attention on me. They don't seem to be getting through my pauldrons."

    Spoiler
    Show
    He'd have his shield out because it doesn't hinder his stealth, and as soon as he noticed the dead animals he'd have pulled out the masterwork dagger.

    Swift: one from Pelt into Pauldrons, just to be extra sure.

    Attacking the one being flanked with Lazer.
    Attk: (1d20+5)[11] [Edit: Forgot flanking bonus]
    Slash: (1d4+3)[5] (Huh, dagger damage seems to be wrong on my sheet.)
    SnA: (1d6)[1]
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2011-08-14 at 02:36 AM.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  26. - Top - End - #476
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T15: Darrius twirls his best dagger about his fingers for a moment as he looks over the twisted monkeys. He shakes his head as he swipes at one of their neck's, "Lets try to keep their attention on me. They don't seem to be getting through my pauldrons."

    He attacks the one between himself and Lazer, but the little buggers are small and fast and he misses.

    End Round One, Begin Round Two ...

    R2T22: Celiss, see breakdown as above. What do you do?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Seeing that once again the party is up against enemies that resist normal physical damage, Celiss moves as quickly as she can, trying to get it with an elbow jab and following through with a strike of her knee. She hopes that by simply hitting the thing as many times as possible she can hit it in a way that actually hurts it.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flurry of blows on the monkey behind Darrius.
    1: (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[5]
    2: (1d20+4)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[4]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  28. - Top - End - #478
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T22: Seeing that once again the party is up against enemies that resist normal physical damage, Celiss moves as quickly as she can, trying to get it with an elbow jab and following through with a strike of her knee. She hopes that by simply hitting the thing as many times as possible she can hit it in a way that actually hurts it. The elbow jab bounces against it, but she had to adjust to much for its tiny size - and realizes that such an attack is silly against this opponent. She then tries to 'stomp' down with her knee, hitting it easily, but doing no damage.

    R2T21: Lazer swings and misses.

    R2T20.9: The one in front of Darrius tries to bite and misses. As it did so, Darrius slashes it along the leg for 2 mod damage. Celiss thrusts a foot out and kicks it in the neck for 4 mod damage. Korian stabs it in the chest for 9 (max) damage, with no need to modify, as well as 8 cold damage. The monkey drops.

    R2T20.8: The one to Darrius' left tries to bite Korian and also misses, as Lazer tries to hit it with an AOO and misses as well..

    R2T20: .... and Korian is right there with a counterattack. Korian swings his rapier and claws around, riming them and his teeth with frost. The rapier misses, but that was mainly to make the monkey move so that the claw can connect for 2 mod claw and 7 cold damage. His bite comes in on the disabled monkey for 1 mod bite and 5 cold damage. The monkey drops.

    R2T17: The one to Darrius' rear attacks Lazer but misses.

    R2T16: Ka'Xet, one target remaining ... the one flanked by Darrius and Lazer, and threatened by the other two. What do you do?

    Darrius, you are on deck, followed by Celiss.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Assuming its still standing by the time he can act, Darrius will switch his stance ever so slightly and thrust his dagger forward instead of taking a swipe at it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: [roll]1d20+7[roll] Flanking included this time
    Damage: (1d4+3)[6]
    SnA: (1d6)[3]

    oh god dammit.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2011-08-15 at 11:52 PM.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling the attack roll because I fail.

    (1d20+7)[15]

    And again in case it 19-20s
    (1d20+7)[8]
    (1d4+3)[7]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •