Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 510 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Close with the last monkey to execute it.

    ATK
    (1d20+7)[24]

    DAM
    (1d6+3)[5]
    Reckon tis the ToD dessert course, eh?
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  2. - Top - End - #482
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T16: Ka'Xet closes with the last monkey, skirting in-between Celiss and Lazer to execute it. He now sees what everyone else is up against, though. Ka' could swear his was a fine stroke to kill it, but unlike the rest of the group, this is the xeph's first experience with creatures with unnatural resistance to weaponry and his mindblade does no damage.

    "Reckon tis the ToD dessert course, eh?," quips Ka'.

    Lazer says, "Mr. Kahir, you and I need to sit down to some remedial tutoring - of me to you, just so we're clear - in the Common tongue. 'ToD?'"

    R2T15: Darrius? What do you do to the last one?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #483
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Once heard a cobber drooble 'bout some berk what shimmied to a church in which some toff had some vittles up for his fressers who slurped a tick on some grindage what was true horrorshow. Twere a cleric which was behind the evil which figgers momentious in the yarn, see? As twere, frozen changy globbo custard be the postrey.

    Spoiler
    Show
    "I once heard some older gentleman tell me a story about an adventurer who went to a holy place where a noble of some sort served an exotic meal which most people would find revolting. It turned out that there was an evil cleric behind it all, but the dessert they served was chilled monkey brains."
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  4. - Top - End - #484
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    "The bit about the berk who was billed after a barker?" Asks Lazer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Was that the story about the gentleman-of-fortune that was named after a dog?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-08-16 at 10:23 AM.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #485
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T15: Darrius switches his stance ever so slightly and thrusts his dagger forward instead of taking a swipe at it. His dagger doesn't pierce its hide.

    End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

    R3T22: Celiss, what do you do?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss moves so that she has a clear view of the last monkey. Alright, we've already wasted too much time on these things and I'm tired of hitting monkeys. She says, just before her speech turns to arcane intonations as she casts a spell.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Get as clear a view of the monkey as possible.
    Standard: Magic Missile
    SR, if needed: (1d20+3)[12]
    Damage:
    (1d4+1)[4]
    (1d4+1)[5]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  7. - Top - End - #487
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss has a clear view of the last monkey. "Alright, we've already wasted too much time on these things and I'm tired of hitting monkeys," she says, just before her speech turns to arcane intonations as she casts a spell. Two magic bolts strike the monkey down.

    Lazer checks and sees that 3 are unconscious and one is dead. He asks Darrius, with whom he had shared medical knowledge for deadlier purpose, to perform shechitah, a form of coup de grace to be used on animals to kill them with the least pain and suffering possible using a dagger. It is of note that he shows Darrius how to do this, but does not do it himself ... perhaps because he feels he is too weak to be successful (and would likely be right in that regard).

    Korian says, "These monkeys were harmless to us, for the most part. But they bode ill of what may lie ahead. They didn't seem to feel the pain of their wounds; they had no regard for their own safety - seemingly fearless; and they were resistant to everything but my rapier ... the rapier struck true, and probably because it is magical. Now, imagine if these qualities were applied to something larger, and more dangerous. There is an ill, non-monkey smell about them as well."

    Lazer adds on, "Take a look at their mouths. Their teeth seem to be more prominent, and possibly more dangerous, than normal. These things weren't strong enough since they were so small, but these teeth are like knives ... and are coated in some unknown form of filth. They probably transmit some disease."

    Pause for PC interjections before moving on .....
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #488
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Dags! Knew you was trig!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot on! I knew you were bright.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius shudders at the thought of something like a monstrous crab being even more of a cantankerous bastard to kill, or even survive against, "I have no need to consider the horrible terror a creature any larger could manage. Then again, I'm sure we've probably seen some of it already."

    Spoiler
    Show
    1 out of the gauntlets to 0, and 1 out of the pauldrons down to 1 in order to bring the pelt up to 2.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  10. - Top - End - #490
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    “Lazer, we should get moving,” says Korian. “The smell of smoke is stronger.”

    The party gets to the cliffs overlooking Kraken’s Cove, and are greeted by a tragic and horrific sight. In the sheltered cove below, an inferno rages atop the water. Several ships, including a two-masted caravel, a sizeable frigate, a long barge, and what might have once been a schooner are all ablaze. Further out, a three-masted caravel seems to have escaped the fire - for now. A shiny slick on the surface of the water itself burns as well, creating a wall of wood and flame. The heat rises in searing sheets, and the roar of
    the flaming maelstrom mixed with the crashing surf masks any other sounds that might be issuing up from below. Through periodic gaps in the smoke, however, movement on the beach is visible - something still lives in the inferno below.

    A quick assessment shows that there are two ways down to the beach … a climb down the cliffs of some 40’, or using a rickety-looking walkway. Though the walkway looks easiest, Lazer agrees with Korian’s assessment that the party’s strength lies (on average) on climbing what looks moderate-to-easy cliffs with handholds, rather than an old-looking walkway. The only thing is that Lazer will need to be helped down the cliffs since he has no climbing skill and doesn’t have the strength to support himself very well.

    Ka’Xet will piton his rope into the cliff, and descend in climbing gear while aiding Lazer. Then Celiss will go, followed by Darrius. Korian will release Ka’Xet’s rope to him and then climb down himself. With the climber’s fantastic help, Lazer makes it down to the beach without incident. Ka’Xet forms the beachhead while the others come down.

    It seems that taking the cliffs was the right idea. While climbing down, the heavy ropes mooring a burning ship called the Slippery Eel finally burn through and snap audibly. The Eel wrenches free and the tide carries it careening into the west wall of the cove, where it destroys the central 50’ of the walkway in a terrific crash. Everyone makes it down without further incident, though Korian’s sense of smell is overcome by the acrid smell of smoke.

    A fifty-foot-wide beach separates the burning waters of Kraken's Cove from the cliffs you climbed down to the north. A ten-foot-wide cave opens at the base of the cliff to the northwest, while to the northeast several planks provide a crude bridge across a tide pool to a second, smaller cave entrance. The swaths of blood and ragged body parts strewn across the beach testify to a terrible and recent battle upon the sands here. Broken crates and bamboo cages litter the area, blood and bits of bone sprayed across bolts of silk and cracked barrels of ambergris seeping into the coarse, rocky sand. A number of mangled corpses, each stripped nearly clean of flesh and bones cracked open, lie strewn about the beach. The casualties are staggering, with a quick count putting the dead at nearly twenty.

    "Alright," says Lazer, "we check the dead. Before we go any further, I want an idea of what killed these men and what we might be up against ... and if any actually have survived."

    Examination of the bodies in this area show them to be devoured with a ferocity that belies reason - bones gnashed in a single crushing bite, entire lengths of flesh and muscle ripped free. It is also the battle broke out suddenly between friends and allies. Crossbow bolts riddle the few savage pirates slain, and the mingling of deformed corpses and those nearly devoured is demonstrative of the in-fighting that took place. There is an unspoken lack of ease as earlier musings of what a 'larger' creature so afflicted might be like to have to fight now take shape ... men themselves have fallen prey to whatever turned them into something like living, flesh-eating zombies. ('Zombies' as in the 28 DAYS, zombie-as-disease rather than zombie-as-undead.)

    Over to the east where there is a small rope walkway to a small portion of beach and a smaller cave entrance, lie two creatures that lie dead on the rocks, still chained fast to a heavy iron stake embedded in the ground. Though chawed upon, they are large creatures that have the body of a porpoise or a small whale, with a leonine head and forepaws. A ruff of silky hair runs from the top of their heads all the way to its tail flukes. Celiss and Darrius recognize these magical creatures as sea cats.

    As the party loops around and continues checking bodies, two of the deformed pirates that were hiding in the wreckage burst forth...

    It may have once been a man, but now its gray skin, strangely flopping arms and legs, and the vacant-eyed vestigial head hanging from its neck make the creature anything but. Yet perhaps worst of all is the creature's mouth, a cavernous wound in its twisted face filled with a twisting landscape of teeth, a mouth designed for one thing only - the tearing of flesh from bone.

    R1T20: Celiss, you see that lead one. The one that is slightly behind it is as bizarre and misshapen ... and unique .... as the other, except for the horrifying mouth. I'll leave the particulars to your own imagination. Both carry scimitars. The lead one is 25' from you. What do you do?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss, seeing an opportunity to use another of her spells to shorten the fight, moves up until both of the man-beasts are within 15 feet of her. Although your souls are probably already departed, I'll hope that this can put you fully to rest. She says as she begins another arcane invocation, her hands deftly performing dozens of intricate movements that free up the energy packaged into the spell. Her movements end with a clap, and after a moment Celiss opens her palms, a blast of arcane flame surging forwards, eagerly burning everything in its path.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: 25 feet should put me in range. If not, then a full 30.
    Standard Action: Cast Burning Hands.
    Spell Resistance: (1d20+3)[19]
    Damage: (3d4)[10] With a DC 15 Reflex save for half.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  12. - Top - End - #492
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T20: Celiss, seeing an opportunity to use another of her spells to shorten the fight, moves up 15' until both of the man-beasts are within 15 feet of her.

    "Although your souls are probably already departed, I'll hope that this can put you fully to rest," she says as she begins another arcane invocation, her hands deftly performing dozens of intricate movements that free up the energy packaged into the spell. Her movements end with a clap, and after a moment Celiss opens her palms, a blast of arcane flame surging forwards, eagerly burning everything in its path. This things might physically be nightmares, but as agile as their footwork might be they are not prepared for this spell and both take 10 fire damage. Both are horribly burned and cannot possibly take much more damage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    No one else in the group recognizes this spell, nor have they ever seen her use it. But it was pretty awesomely effective.

    R1T19: Despite the horrible burns on its body, the lead pirate fights through whatever pain its skin and seared muscles transmit to it and it charges Celiss. Its lurching, unpredictable movements keep her from doing a good linear block, and the pirate's cutlass grazes against her body ... but fails to cut. For the first time, her scales have protected her.

    R1T18: "Fire, huh? That's good enough for myself and Gili-Nahum!" roars Lazer as he charges forward and brings his warhammer crashing down on the lead pirate's left foot for 3 weapon and 1 fire damage. It is enough to drop the thing.

    "Celiss, that fire spell was tremendous! What was it?"

    R1T17: Ka'Xet, you are 30' from the last pirate. What do you do?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #493
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T17: Ka'Xet moves forward 10' away and throws his mind blade to try to pin it in the sand or hobble it, and it does 4 mod damage to its right foot, and it falls in shock.

    R1T11: Darrius, what do you do? Both pirates are down.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Down as in not moving, or just fallen over? I'm assuming down, as in down for the count, but its best to ask... If its just fallen over and they still move (well, move more than just a twitch), the post will involve trying to stab one instead, but for now...

    The coming Detect Evil is for the 1st round of 2, as the second round will get the strength (and therefore living or dead as 'destroyed' is 'Dim,' aka even weaker than Faint). If there isn't any evil about them at all, well, he won't continue the concentration.


    Darrius creeps forward enough so that he won't catch Celiss in his field of view and his eyes glimmer as he casts a gaze over them to determine if any evil yet lingers, if they're not evil at all and he's wasting his time, or if they've passed on.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  15. - Top - End - #495
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T11: Darrius creeps forward enough so that he won't catch Celiss in his field of view and his eyes glimmer as he casts a gaze over them to determine if any evil yet lingers, if they're not evil at all and he's wasting his time, or if they've passed on. He senses that there is evil in the area.

    R1T10: The pirate that Ka'Xet dropped stands up and shambles forward to be next to his fallen comrade and threatening Lazer.

    R1T7: Korian shakes his head at the fact that the things were so wrecked that it made sense they went down. He bounds forth with frost forming about his rapier and claw and he leaps at it. The rapier sinks into its chest for 8 weapon + 6 cold damage, but he hesitates with his claw for the devastation wrought, as the rapier kills this man outright. The man goes into death throes on the rapier, twitching and jerking wildly, and making one wild bite at Korian. The teeth scrape barely against the Godson's new mithral shirt. The body then erupts into a mass of goo that drops onto the ground and splashing those nearby, leaving nothing behind but the cutlass, which is horribly pitted and damaged ...
    Celiss: Evades.
    Korian: Pulls his rapier out in time and dodges, 1 acid damage.
    Lazer: Dodges, 2 acid damage.
    Fallen Allied Pirate: Acid does no further damage.

    End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

    R2T20: Celiss, if you do not step out of the puddle of acid ... what do you do? You are adjacent to the first, fallen, un-puddled pirate, and standing in a puddle of acid. What do you do?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss steps out of the puddle and lashes out with her foot, following with a quick jab of her left fist, hoping to bring down the thing. She tenses up, hoping to evade the death-explosion if she kills it.

    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    5' stepping.
    Flurry of Blows.
    (1d20+4)[21]
    (1d20+4)[13]

    (1d6+3)[7]
    (1d6+3)[5]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  17. - Top - End - #497
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T20: Celiss does a quick double-jab to the pirate's kidneys with her left fist, but only the first blow does damage (2 mod). She then steps back out of the puddle of acid.

    R2T19: The pirate, fighting well past all possible endurance, is possessed of an impossibly ferocious spirit. It stands, but not before Lazer's hammer skips off its fine studded leather armor, and Korian stabs it lightly in the left shoulder for 4 weapon + 9 cold damage. The pirate is only on its knees and bites wildly at Korian before exploding into an acid puddle like his buddy. Lazer dodges for 1 acid, but Korian gets sprayed for 2 acid. As with the other, the armor is destroyed, and the cutlass is practically worthless.

    Korian kept his cool with the last one (which is the first time that has ever happened in real battle), but this time the acid stings so bad he leaps back and howls and his body contorts into a monster version of himself (with strength and stamina now exceeding anyone else in the group). He howls like an animal and curses like a man, but after several seconds, though, he is able to get ahold of himself and calm down - and his physique returns to more normal proportions.

    When all is said and done, he stands there - very embarrassed. Lazer doesn't say anything, not wanting to bring attention to it, but he nods, and looks at the group. "The monkeys we fought weren't nearly so atrociously deformed. I think these pirates were in advanced stages. We see other nigh-inhumane ones on the beach, but these were so unholy in appearance that I think we can expect any other creatures to go down the same way.

    "They seem impervious to any pain we might inflict as they are wracked with unholy pain to begin with, meaning we can't save them by simply knocking them out. Only I and Korian have magic weapons, but we now have a good judge of what it takes to hurt them ..."
    (DR 5/magic) "... and they are so feral that I don't think that any attempts to calm them will work. They obviously can't be disabled, so they fight right up until they're dead, at which point they splash into acid ... which of course, they are probably immune to as the one's death throes didn't hurt the other.

    "My most powerful blessings will hopefully remove the disease .... or the curse. If they can't....."
    and here Lazer seems unable to continue, because the only natural course of action would be horrifying to the healer.

    "If we can't help them," says Korian, "they're doomed as mortals, and we send them to whatever god they worship. Seeing by their garb they are likely pirates and not noble seafarers, then this curse shouldn't be wished on anyone, but their afterlife is well deserved."

    "For now," says Lazer, "we'll refer to this as a 'savage fever' until we have some better insight into its nature."

    Since it only helps the group .... Darrius, you only had time to sense evil in the area briefly. Once the pirates discorporated, there was no more evil in the area ... there is no lingering aura of any kind.

    Lazer says, "That's good to know. We are not dooming good men, it seems - though that is little consolation since they don't have a chance for redemption - but my prayers might be able to protect individual members of our party from their wickedness."

    He binds his own and Korian's wounds, but does not yet resort to magical healing.

    Lazer then says, "Now our mission is one of mercy. I didn't see Vanthus' body among the dead. This means one of three things to me: 1) he contracted 'savage fever,' was killed, and is now untraceable, 2) feverish or not - he is within the caves, 3) he escaped this area, feverish or not. We can't do anything about 1, we have not the means to track him specifically if 3, so we assume #2.

    "Ka'Xet, you have front-line with Korian; you'll want your mindblade over kukri, since the smaller weapons have less likelihood of piercing their skin.

    "Korian, that rapier is a god-send, even if it isn't your favored set of weapons; looks like we'll be getting into CQB, so take your five minutes to meditate on them.

    "Celiss, you'll be behind Ka'Xet; you may want to cast your bull's strength at the first sign of decent resistance beyond onesy-twosies; it'll give you a better chance of hurting them. If it looks like more competent resistance, protect yourself with shield.

    "I'm behind Korian with Gili-Nachum, but will likely burst forth to try to cure disease/curse to see if they work at all.

    "Darrius, I want you skulking ahead whatever distance is necessary to see around corners and return for intel reports. You have the most painful first strike with those gauntlets. I don't think these things are very astute, so I recommend not amping your wolf-pelt. They aren't incredible fighters - so until we fight one, you should minimize your helm as well. Keep focus in your gauntlets for offense, your pauldrons for physical defense, and a little bit in your mantle to protect you against the acid."


    Darrius, do you agree with Lazer's recommended setup? [Gauntlets 2E, Pauldrons 2E, Mantle 1E, rest zero?]
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-08-23 at 02:10 PM.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius nods at Lazer's assessment, "Aye, that sounds about right. I was intending to switch over to the gauntlets here shortly anyway, as I had refrained only because the shock can sometimes make such a bright flash. With so many strange creatures about, I hadn't wanted to draw that much attention."

    He crouches over the puddles of acid, though not close enough to burn, and sighs as he studies them, "I had hoped we wouldn't have to slaughter men, noble or scoundrel. I had hoped whatever came over the monkeys would not twist a man so. As they seem to feel no pain, I suppose that should be some comfort that it will only be release when they die..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Aye, that setup sounds about right. 3 in the gauntlets might be fun, but I'd have to pull from the pauldrons, and I think I'd rather not do that.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  19. - Top - End - #499
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    No light sources are used, as everyone in the group has darkvision. That's alright, though, as inside there are cheap hooded lanterns every 30' or so that are still burning.

    "Six hour burn time means this all happened within that time period," observes Korian.

    Throughout the caves, you will notice body parts, large swaths of blood-stained sand, deep scratches in the walls, and other macabre hints of mayhem throughout. Further, exploration of the caves is accompanied by a symphony of howls, shrieks, maniacal laughter, clanging of metal on metal, and other discordant sounds one might expect from a madhouse whose locks have failed. This will make hearing lesser sounds in the caves much more difficult.

    Darrius hides and skulks into the larger cave entrance (5-10pwy). 15' in, the cave forks. Darrius, you look and listen without going in further on either side. To the NW, the 5pwy curves left (W). Meanwhile, the other NE fork (5pwy) opens up into a chamber which seems to have long hanging bolts of light fabric hanging.

    Darrius reports, and Korian mentions that the sea cats were on a little jut of rock by a tide pool and a walkway going to an eastern entrance ... therefore one might assume that this western cave and the smaller eastern mouth join. In that case, sweeping the outer western perimeter makes sense.

    Darrius sneaks up the NW fork and looks in...

    This cavern must have served as a mess hall, yet now the large tables lie in ruins. To the north, dozens of barrels that once contained fresh food and water stores have been smashed to splinters. Bodies lie throughout the cave in various stages of dismemberment and consumption - it's hard to count the total dead due to the state of the corpses, but at least six people recently met a gory end in this cave.

    There is a savage pirate with cook's garb at the far end with a cleaver, hacking up a dead crewmember on a table. Towards the middle of the room are two savage pirates who seem to wait impatiently to eat. They each hoot and holler and act like total starkers. They seem to take no notice of Darrius.

    Darrius gets to take this time to detect what evil he may from this room. He senses three faint, evil auras. He hasn't really dealt with this ability much, and isn't very good at reading the measure of a man, so other than little bits of ill-boding and the fact that all three are evil, he has no idea how tough they are.

    Darrius sneaks back to give a intel report.

    "Who knows if they are a further threat?" muses Lazer. "I am worried, since nearly every living creature in the area seems crazed, if this savage fever isn't an infectious pathogen. If my spells can't cure them, then it means that we have to contain the outbreak to minimize spread of this contagion. But first, we'll try to see if they can resist my cure spells .... but when combat is initiated, fight with all vigor so we don't lose you as well. Leave the spells to me without regard for their effect."

    Korian offers the simplest plan, "Lazer stands around the corner, being of no stealthy skill. The rest of us rush in and overwhelm them as quickly as possible in the first strike, with Lazer coming in afterwards."

    Lazer says to Celiss, "After hearing all of the activity inside, hold your spells til you know you need them ... it sounds like this is going to be a long night."

    The group preps itself just, just around the corner, with Lazer farther behind so as not to give away position .....

    Surprise Round ....

    Ka'Xet sneezes and Korian shushes him ... as figured by two spectacularly failed Stealth checks. So much for surprise.

    Begin Round One ...

    R1T25-18: Darrius is the point man in this narrow passageway. He barely has time to register that Ka'Xet sneezed when a savage pirate bears down on him, having hustled to get to him .... but still threatening.

    Another one, also with blinding reflexes, follows quickly behind him, both jibbering and chattering with excitement over fresh meat.

    Also faster than any of the post-sneeze-shocked party is the third, a large savage pirate with a gruesome, gore-riddled meat cleaver and wearing bload-soaked apron.

    R1T17.9: Darrius, a faster savage pirate than yourself is on you - so much for sneak attack. It is a 5pwy, and either you (alone) attack, or you withdraw or back out (with or without acrobatics). Korian, with his magical rapier, is behind you. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-08-24 at 12:46 AM.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius weighs his options for a half moment and then extends his arm forward to shock the lead pirate into submission. Or into exploding, as the case may be.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Electro Shock Therapy!
    MTA: (1d20+4)[10]
    Elec: (3d6)[13]

    If it goes down and there is a space ahead where I can get into the room beyond without having to pass through their squares, I'd like to tumble on into the room, generally behind the pirates even though I can't set up flanking yet. If I can't go forward I'd like to shift back to give Korrian a shot.

    Either way, Acrobatics: (1d20+9)[29]
    And potentially a second: (1d20+9)[19]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  21. - Top - End - #501
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T17.9: Darrius weighs his options for a half moment and then extends his arm forward to shock the lead pirate into submission (or into exploding, as the case may be), but learns that pirates are not slow of foot as it avoids. Darrius then tumbles back to the back of the group (since there are no gaps).

    R1T17: Ka'Xet, what do you do? You are right behind Korian and you see the first pirate.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #502
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    In a rare fit of intelligibility, Ka'Xet says Move and throws his mind blade at the shambling humanoid. The bade seems to glow with a greater amount of psionic energy than it had previously.

    ATK
    (1d20+6)[8]

    DAM
    (1d6+3)[5]

    Psionic Shot DAM
    (2d6)[4]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  23. - Top - End - #503
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T17: In a rare fit of intelligibility, Ka'Xet says "Move," and throws his mindblade at the shambling humanoid. The blade seems to glow with a greater amount of psionic energy than it had previously ... but misses entirely. He then reforms the mindblade in his hand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you don't start mentioning this last bit ... the MA spent to reform the mindblade ... I'm going to start excluding the action as well. Then, you have to waste the MA next round for 'hesitating.'

    R1T12: Korian ducked the errant thrown mindblade easily enough. He wastes no time with his best, and his blade, teeth, and claw are rimed with frost. He steps forward to meet the first pirate. His rapier stabs into the man's chest for 9 weapon (max) and 7 cold damage, a blow that would kill a man outright. His claw and bite miss.

    "Lazer, I made an opening! Get up here behind me so you can keep me alive as these guys die."

    R1T7: Lazer moves forward into the space opened between Korian and Ka'Xet. He doesn't cast a spell, but he says, "Moradin, aid this soul in his fight against evil."

    In doing so, energies pour into Korian that heal what little wounds he suffered earlier, and steel his mettle for this battle, with Korian giving a faint, growl, so deep in pitch as to be barely heard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay ... now THAT's a new trick. It seems he was able to use magic without casting ... an SLA.

    R1T3: Celiss, since Lazer went past you, the three ahead of you (Korian, Lazer, Ka'Xet) around the curve keep you from having a space to go or from seeing a target. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-08-25 at 02:46 AM.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss will wait, preparing to move as soon as an opportunity presents itself.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Readying an action to move up if a hole in our formation is made.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  25. - Top - End - #505
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T3: Celiss will wait, preparing to move as soon as an opportunity presents itself.

    End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

    R2T25-24: The badly wounded pirate attacks with cutlass and bite, but Korian's defensive combat style is impenetrable. Though these things are very strong, they are terrible combatants. The second one behind him howls and screams, waiting to get at the meat on the other side of his ally.

    R2T18: "Kill for food, boys! Cook is hungry! Pot is ready!" come the inhuman howls of the last pirate (the one wearing cook's garb). His/its voice is like that of someone who is severely mentally disabled.

    R2T17.9: Darrius, what do you do?

    Ka'Xet, you're on deck.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    With the others packed into the passage, Darrius turns to keep an eye on their flank in case the sounds of combat rouse any other pirates. He expects the banging and howls in the caves to drown it out, but decides to hide anyhow.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Aye, since I'm now at the back, Stealth check and wait with a readied action (either Readied Action or just me rolling it out and waiting) to shock anything that isn't an ally that comes near.

    He shifts to 3 in the Gauntlets, 1 in the pelt, and 1 in the mantle while he waits.

    MTA: (1d20+4)[13]
    Elec: (4d6)[12]

    SnA: (1d6)[1] if applicable
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2011-08-25 at 02:56 PM.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  27. - Top - End - #507
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet, you're up. You only have LOS to the first and second pirates. What do you do?
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #508
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Re-establish mental focus, activate Burst, and charge nearest pirate.

    ATK
    (1d20+7)[20]

    DAM
    (1d6+3)[4]
    'Ere's a tick of me want of some ruby-red! I shall FONG you like you've never been fonged before! Oh, such a fonging you'll have!

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to strike you with my mind blade, which is a manifestation of my bloodlust. You will receive a stern thrashing at my hands!
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  29. - Top - End - #509
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T17.9: With the others packed into the passage, Darrius turns to keep an eye on their flank in case the sounds of combat rouse any other pirates. He expects the banging and howls in the caves to drown it out, but decides to hide anyhow.

    R2T17: Ka'Xet re-establishes psionic focus.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Re-gaining psionic focus is a FRA (full round action), and requires a DC 20 Mental Focus check. I just used the d20 you rolled for the attack - that still couldn't happen because of the cramped quarters of the battlefield (5'-wide passageway, abbrev. to 5pwy) - and just used your Mental Focus modifier instead.

    R2T12: The frost disappears from Korian's weapons. His rapier goes wide, but his claw knocks the pirate's head for 1 mod damage. His bite also misses.

    R2T7: Lazer delays.

    R2T3: Celiss still has to delay.

    End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

    R3T25-24: The lead pirate attacks Korian wildly and misses.

    R3T17.9: Darrius delays ...

    R3T17: Ka'Xet reforms and throws his mindblade while saying, "Ere's a tick of me want of some ruby-red! I shall FONG you like you've never been fonged before! Oh, such a fonging you'll have!"

    His mindblade bounces off the lead pirate's fine studded armor.

    R3T17: Korian plunges his rapier into the lead pirate's chest. The lead pirate's death throes are almost enough to bite Korian, but the thing bubbles and splashes into acid goo before it finishes. Korian takes 5 acid damage.

    He then steps up to the next pirate.

    R3T11: Lazer steps forward 5 feet and readies a healing spell if Korian should be further wounded.

    Korian calls, "Celiss, you have an opening for missile combat!"

    Celiss, if you move forward, you'll be able to target the pirates with some type of missile fire ... but you can't get past Lazer and Korian ... you'd pass by Ka'Xet, though. What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-08-29 at 09:02 PM.
    DMing
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Serpent's Skull, Souls for Smuggler's Shiv
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss moves up, annoyed that she still can't contribute anything, as she doesn't really have any missiles to fire-magical or otherwise.

    Honestly, I can fight with every single one of my appendages but I can't even hit an enemy 10 feet away...I really need to get some sort of crossbow once we're back in the city. She mutters.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move over to where I can.
    Free Action: Complain.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •