New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

R3T3: Celiss moves up, annoyed that she still can't contribute anything, as she doesn't really have any missiles to fire-magical or otherwise.

"Honestly," she mutters, "I can fight with every single one of my appendages but I can't even hit an enemy 10 feet away...I really need to get some sort of crossbow once we're back in the city."

End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ....

R4T25-24: The lead pirate misses Korian again, and the other pirate behind him yowls.

R4T20: A creature grunts and hoots while sailing overhead. Gliding on membranes between arms and legs is a small humanoid that is similar to a cross between a raccoon and a monkey. He glides from a passageway ahead and to the right, and easily clears the party (high 'ceiling') to try to land in back (behind Ka'Xet), but discovers that something is in his way and he has to move back further - all while being incredibly acrobatic. He lands, and then swipes at the empty space with his kukri ... missing Darrius.

R4T18: The cook-pirate in back shuffles menacingly.

R4T17.9: Darrius, it's the perfect time for you to no longer be delaying ... having wrapped back around to your turn, anyway. So, the party is now being attacked on both fronts, and you are defending against this bizarre creature. It might once have been an interesting character, but you see the signs of the savage fever on it, too. You are currently hidden in plain sight. (He bumped against you when he tried to land in your spot, and had to shuffle back another 5'.) There is no way past him but over (or, with a DC 25 Acrobatics check on two rolls ... through). What do you do?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius has to all but dodge out of the path of the creature as it tries to land on him, but once it lands he reaches out to try to put it down sharply, and possibly even get around behind it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Try to get past it. As I'm still hidden, keep that p until I'm past him. Half speed from Acrobatics and Half Speed from Stealth brings him down to 10ft, which should be just enough, which means I don't think I take penalties anywhere down the line of the skill checks.

Moving Stealth: (1d20+21)[31]
    Acrobatics: (1d20+9)[21]

Unless there is another enemy, shouldn't that only be one tumble check? I thought its one check per enemy, not check per square. If I'm wrong somewhere, I'll roll another.
    Acrobatics: (1d20+9)[21]

Failure is an AoO, but I'm hoping I'll be stealthed enough to get a miss chance. XD

Swift: Essentia back to 2 Gauntlets, 2 Pauldrons, 1 Mantle

Standard: Electro Shock Therapy
    MTA: (1d20+4)[13]
    Elec: (3d6)[12]
    SnA?: (1d6)[4]
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

3. - Top - End - #513

R4T17.9: Darrius has to all but dodge out of the path of the creature as it tries to land on him, but once it lands he reaches out to try to put it down sharply, and possibly even get around behind it. He shifts his

But in trying to tumble past the creature he bumps into it instead ... which is just enough to give it a chance to lash out again, though it misses. Still, Darrius isn't able to get past the thing. He decides to hope in his stealth as is, and to develop a more combat-focused incarnum array. Even with all of the bumping around, the thing seems to have a hard time trying to track Darrius, so the lightning gaunlet touches the thing just barely - for its reflexes are quite capable - in its right upper arm for 16 electricity damage. But this thing seems to be made of much tougher stuff than the human savages. Its fur and pustules are singed, but it is more than in the fight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Through an area" is interpretable ... I interpret it (and always have) that you must do so for each square. The more areas threatened, the more success over time - rather than difficulty - required. Also, extra enemies merely increases the DC .... for each square tumbled. Finally, failure does not end with just an AOO. Your movement isn't stopped (unless the AOO attack form can stop you) by tumbling through threatened areas. However, trying to tumble through an occupied square is not 'auto-success at the possible cost of an AOO.' If you can't do it, you are stopped cold in the square at which you were trying to move out of. If this means, that in the plotted course of movement, your prior square is unoccupied, then you would end up falling prone in that prior square.
    His hand tipped (or lit up with electricity after an attack), Darrius is now quite visible.

R4T17: Ka'Xet, three meanies ahead, and one new meanie (described above) behind ... all bogeys are outside the party line, none inside. Whom do you target, or what do you do?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #514
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Oi, chummers! Come here and get a kick in the yarbles, if you've got any yarbles, you great pustulent androgynes!

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey new schmucks, I'm fixin' to slap the taste out 'chor mouth, you festering people of questionable sexuality!

Ka'Xet throws his mind blade at the one on the far left and re-materializes the blade.

ATK
    (1d20+6)[21]

DAM
    (1d6+3)[6]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

5. - Top - End - #515

R4T17: "Oi, chummers! Come here and get a kick in the yarbles, if you've got any yarbles, you great pustulent androgynes!" taunts Ka'Xet before throwing his mindblade at the cook, hitting him in the left knee for 1 mod damage.

R4T12: Korian's rapier thrust stabs the lead pirate in the right shoulder, passing nearly up to the hilt. The pirate snaps his jaws at Korian, taking a little bit of fur. Korian withdraws his rapier and the pirate splashes into acidic goo. Korian doesn't duck in time and takes 3 acid damage.

There is now an active pool of acid in the 5-foot-square where the pirate was.

R4T11: Lazer continues to delay, as Korian looks like he is still fine without need for a spell just yet.

R4T3: Celiss, you can comment ... but there's just not much for you to do.

End Round 4, Begin Round 5 ....

R5T24: The next pirate moves forward into the acid puddle from his late mate, but is unharmed. It totally misses Korian with cutlass and bite.

R5T20: In a rare display of 'intelligence' (such as it is for these infected creatures), the bizarre gliding monkey-raccoon manages to snarl out in Common, "Come to me, meatbags. Just give me a mouthful of your tasty pink flesh!"

It swings its kukri at Darrius' chest, neatly slicing in-between ribs, but failing to hit a critical organ and only doing 1 mod damage. It bites, but fails to get past his armor.

R5T18: The 'cook' pirate moves up behind the lead pirate.

R5T17.9: Darrius, what do you do?
    Show

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius once again reaches forward with his sparking hand, but doesn't fancy his chances of slipping past the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rinse, repeat.

MTA: (1d20+4)[15]
    Elec: (3d6)[13]

Hmm... I just had a thought regarding claws, but I kinda doubt I can Shock and Claw in the same turn, so nevermind that. >.>

Also, side note regarding srgonzo's last attack. If they've been seen to take normal damage from a magic weapon, why is the Mind Blade getting its damage modded down? Aren't mind blades magic for overcoming DR from 1st level? 0.o

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #517

R5T17.9: Darrius once again reaches forward with his sparking hand, but doesn't fancy his chances of slipping past the creature. Though agile, Darrius practically grabs the thing by the groin, doing 13 electricity damage.

R5T17: Korian growls, "Ka'Xet, try to take out the one in the back so I'm not given an acid shower by him, too!"

Ka'Xet, what do you do? Do you target the one Korian is fighting, or the 'cook pirate' as per Korian's request? It seems like Darrius is doing more than okay against the critter in back, as he only has to touch his target for stunning electrical damage.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #518

HalflingRangerGuy

Tant a lemming, me damie! Oi, time to shive ye in the keeshkas wi' me nozh!

Spoiler
    Show
    It won't be a problem, my friend! Hey, now I'm going to stab you in the belly with my sword!

Ka'Xet attacks the cook-pirate.

ATK
    (1d20+7)[13]

DAM
    (1d6+3)[5]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

9. - Top - End - #519

R5T17: "Tant a lemming, me damie!" replies Ka'Xet to Korian. He then tosses his mindblade at the cook. "Oi, time to shive ye in the keeshkas wi' me nozh!"

The mindblade bounces off the cook's studded leather armor he has under his apron, and Ka'Xet reforms his mindblade.

R5T12: Korian grazes the pirate in the lower left arm for 4 damage, and misses with claw and bite.

R5T11-3: Lazer and Celiss delay ...

End Round 5, Begin Round 6 ...

R6T24: Korian's pirate does as good a job as his strength will allow with cutlass and bite, but can't penetrate the swordsage's incredible defenses.

R6T20: The raccoon-monkey glider cuts across Darrius' belly, but once again his adamant pauldrons keep him from any harm.

R6T17.9: Darrius, what do you do?

Ka'Xet, you're on deck.

Celiss, if you think of anything clever, let me know.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520

HalflingRangerGuy

Ka'Xet looks frustrated, but he moves to flank the cook-pirate and runs along a wall to plant himself behind his opponent.

Wellie well-well, me ickle malchick
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey there, buddy.

ATK

(1d20+7)[23]

DAM

(1d20+6)[7]

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius looks over the little monkey thing and shakes his head, "You're made of some tough stuff, little guy. Too bad you're off your rocker."

Spoiler
    Show
    Rinse, Repeat, Hope Your Hair Doesn't Fall Out

MTA: (1d20+4)[11]
    Elec: (3d6)[8]

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #522

Darrius?

Ka'Xet, it's a 5pwy, so you'll have to go through both pirates' squares to be able to get around him .... helluva series of Acrobatics rolls.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #523

HalflingRangerGuy

Ok. I'll give it a shot. Let me get to the house, so I can make them.

14. - Top - End - #524

R6T17.9: Darrius looks over the little monkey thing and shakes his head, "You're made of some tough stuff, little guy. Too bad you're off your rocker."

Darrius reaches forth to touch the thing, but it knows the danger to expect and dodges out of the way.

R6T17: Ka'Xet, to get through to the other side of the pirates, you move through Lazer and Korian's squares ... which is no difficulty.
    First roll = moving from Korian's square into pirate square.
    Second roll = moving from pirate's square to cook's square.
    Third roll = moving from cook's square to open square behind cook.

Also, your burst gives you no ability to run along the wall to avoid the acid puddle ... and even acrobatically you cannot jump into an occupied square. There are bizarre skill tricks and feats that deal with such derring-do ... none of which you have.

If you fail any roll, you will fall prone in the square that is the farthest you get because you begin your acrobatics in an occupied square and there is no place else for you to go ... of course, offensively they appear to be low enough of a threat that this is the perfect combat to try out cool swashbuckling moves.

What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-09-13 at 02:58 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #525

HalflingRangerGuy

If you look at my character sheet, I have the feat Up the Walls, which provides Ka'Xet the ability to run along a wall.

Up The Walls

Benefit
    While you are psionically focused, you can take part of one of your move actions to traverse a wall or other relatively smooth vertical surface if you begin and end your move on a horizontal surface. The height you can achieve on the wall is limited only by this movement restriction. If you do not end your move on a horizontal surface you fall prone, taking falling damage as appropriate for your distance above the ground. Treate the wall as a normal floor for the purpose of measuring your movement. Passing from floor to wall or wall to floor costs no movement; you can change surfaces freely. Opponents on the ground can make attacks of opportunity as you move up the wall.
    Ka'Xet re-acquired his focus earlier, so he's in fine shape to do this.

(I got a laptop with a WWAN connection from work, so here are my Acrobatics rolls, even if I can easily run past them at 10' high.)

(1d20+8)[23]
    (1d20+8)[28]
    (1d20+8)[9]

16. - Top - End - #526

HalflingRangerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn the luck. Had the argument and two great rolls, only to follow with a natural '1.' Why me?

17. - Top - End - #527

Spoiler
    Show
    Other than the rolls themselves, most of what you put on both posts should be in OOC. That said, yup ... forgot about Up the Walls!
    R6T17: Ka'Xet darts up the wall at an angle on the left wall, so that by the time he is to the pirate, he is out of reach. By the time he comes almost around the cook-pirate, he has lost steam. Ka' runs partway down the wall at an angle, before falling to the deck. His acrobatic skill keeps him from getting hurt - though he is still prone - and the cook gets a free swipe at him with his big meat cleaver, but misses.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The reason height was more important in my adjudicating this, over acrobatics - first, you specified a height to be out of reach in the first place. Second, every square you move acrobatically costs double movement. You never would have had the 'steam' to get all the way across, since Up the Walls only affects a single move action, not any series of move actions, and you didn't xeph-burst.

R6T12: Korian stabs his opponent in the left upper arm for 5 damage, but misses with claw and bite.

R6T11-3: Lazer and Celiss delay. If Celiss is going to move forward 5' to be adjacent to Lazer vice Darrius, let me know.

End Round 6, Begin Round 7 ...

R7T24: The pirate again makes as furious and capable an assault against Korian as possible, but is entirely outmatched.

R7T20: The monkey-thing slashes and bites at Darrius but misses.

R7T18: The cook-pirate turns to look at the morsel-from-heaven that dropped out of the sky and fell prone behind him. He attacks the seemingly helpless man with cleaver and bite, but cannot penetrate Ka's armor.

R7T17.9: Darrius?

Ka'Xet, you're on deck after him.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-09-13 at 10:16 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Celiss moves towards the front line of the combat as soon as an opportunity presents itself, hoping to be able to step in if Darrius goes down(again).
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius grunt sin frustration as he tries for yet another grab, "Just hold still, dammit! It'll be over soon, I swear."

Spoiler
    Show
    MTA: (1d20+4)[22]
    Elec: (3d6)[12]

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #530

R7T17.9: Darrius grunts in frustration as he tries for yet another grab swipe, "Just hold still, dammit! It'll be over soon, I swear."

He claps his hand on the little guy's left shoulder for 12 electricity damage. That should've dropped him, but his madness/illness drives him to extreme efforts.

R7T17: Ka'Xet, you are prone next to the cook-pirate ... and all of the penalties being prone entails. It will take a MA to stand, provoking an AOO. What do you do?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #531

HalflingRangerGuy

Ka'Xet takes a swing with his mindblade at the cook-pirate, probably hitting the bastard in the leg. (Not a called shot, just considering the probability, and I can't remember what the penalty is to hit from a prone position, so I guess you'll have to subtract that.)

ATK

(1d20+7)[21]

DAM

(1d6+3)[5]

22. - Top - End - #532

R7T17: Ka'Xet takes a swing with his mindblade at the cook-pirate, hitting the bastard in the groin for 5 damage.

R7T12: Korian stabs his pirate in the right thigh for max (9) damage. That definitely should've dropped the guy, but he's still moving. His claw misses, and his bite hits but fails to do any damage.

R7T11-3: Lazer and Celiss delay.

End Round 7, Begin Round 8 ...

R8T24: The badly wounded pirate flails wildly at Korian with blade and tooth, missing.

R8T20: The monkey-critter swings with kukri and bites, both attacks missing Darrius.

R8T18: Ka'Xet, normally quite agile, is in a bad way. The cook chops down with his rusty cleaver, hitting Ka' in his right shoulder for 7 damage. His mouth opens impossibly wide, and bites Ka' around the back, side, and chest for 5 damage.

R8T17.9: Darrius? Rinse-repeat?

Ka'Xet, you are literally on deck. While a fine swashbuckling maneuver, you are paying for having separated yourself from the group - especially the healer.

Both of you can post your actions now.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius studies the creature for another moment and hopes this will be the last time he has to shock the poor creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aye, again
    MTA: (1d20+4)[14]
    Elec: (3d6)[5]

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

24. - Top - End - #534

R8T17.9: Darrius studies the creature for another moment and hopes this will be the last time he has to shock the poor creature, touching it for a weak 5 electricity damage. Somehow, the thing is still up and fighting.

R8T17: Ka'Xet?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #535

HalflingRangerGuy

From Perdition's Heart, I stab at thee!

ATK

(1d20+7)[9]

DAM

(1d6+3)[5]

26. - Top - End - #536

R8T17: In somewhat overly-dramatic fashion, Ka'Xet hisses, "From Perdition's Heart, I stab at thee!" ... and misses.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Annie is SlateGray (actually, I think it might be DarkSlateGray, Ka'Xet is Olive.

R8T12: Korian misses well past the pirate's face and shoulder with the rapier, but that was only to hide his claws, which rip at the pirate's face for max (2 mod) damage. He then bites into the thing's neck for 1 mod damage ... and yet this thing. still. stands. oh. so. barely.

R8T11-3: Lazer and Celiss delay.

End Round 8, Begin Round 9 ...

R9T24: The shredded pirate, that through some unholy means is barely upright, attacks Korian without a hit.

R9T20: The raccoon-monkey thing jumps up and slashes Darrius across the face for 4 mod damage, having missed a crit. Its bite misses.

R9T18: Ka'Xet does a little better this time, as the cook misses him.

R9T17.9: Darrius .... Ka'Xet .... what do you do?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius chuckles as the blood drips down his face, "Still got some fight in you, I see. Hopefully not much longer." And he tries again...

Spoiler
    Show
    MTA: (1d20+4)[24]
    Elec: (3d6)[10]

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #538

HalflingRangerGuy

You're fit to be brown bread, you mouldering manky son of a rusty spike!

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to kill you, you decomposing bastard son of a lesbian!

ATK
    (1d20+7)[10]

DAM
    (1d6+3)[9]

29. - Top - End - #539

R9T17.9: Darrius chuckles as the blood drips down his face, "Still got some fight in you, I see. Hopefully not much longer."

And he tries again ... he grabs the thing around its left upper arm. Electricity blasts through the other arm, doing 25 electricity damage. Knowing what to expect as the jolt goes through the thing's heart, Darrius times it perfectly so that he jumps back without getting splashed by the lil' guy's acidically exploding body. There is now a puddle of acid where it was standing, including its gear ... survival of any of its gear depends on a) if Darrius cares, and b) if anyone is willing to take acid damage when trying to grab it, and c) how long anything sits in the puddle.

R9T17: "You're fit to be brown bread, you mouldering manky son of a rusty spike!" calls Ka'Xet .... from his submissive point on the ground ... as he misses with his mindblade.

R9T12: Korian misses with all attacks.

R9T11-3: Lazer and Celiss delay (unless Celiss interjects on the next update).

End Round 9, Begin Round 10 ...

R10T24: Korian's opponent is blocked.

R10T18: The cook comes in with a brutal crit to Ka'Xet's neck, puncturing his voicebox for 17 damage. Ka'Xet ... you can no longer speak. (No, not even grunt.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, really. It was a critical crit ... and the percentage was the one-percent it needed (70) to do the damage it did ... "Voicebox punctured...."
    The bite then comes down on Ka'Xet's left thigh for 3 damage.

Korian calls out, "Dammit, Ka'Xet! Take the swipe, and get on your feet. On the double!"

R10T17.9: Darrius? What do you do?

Ka'Xet on deck...

Celiss, if you think of anything clever ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-09-16 at 07:38 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius quickly looks over the remnants of the creature's gear as he moves around to the other side, aiming to scoop up any bags or pouches that look to contain anything and then grab at bulkier items such as weapons and then armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    2 points out of gloves to put 1 more into Pauldrons and Mantle.

Ideally, just step over the acid, or probably step in it, and try to kick as much as he can into the next square. The idea being to try to scoop the stuff out of the puddle and hopefully not drag the puddle along with.

In rounds this kind of action may not work very well, and if so he'll pick up any filled bags, sacks, or pouches he can get his hands on first, then weapons, then potions or wands, then armor.

I'd also like to move down to the opposite side of the puddle in case Celiss wants to help and I don't snag it all. Or just to get more breathing room, but the movement is secondary if it looks like there are a bunch of items of any possible value that need scooping.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett