Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 630 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius tries to slide past the creature's rending claws to make contact with his gauntlet, hoping it'll be the blow to put the thing down.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Me being online right now is miraculous, and probably not very smart seeing as I should be in bed. >.< Oh well.

    MTA: (1d20+6)[11] (includes +2 for flanking)
    Elec: (3d6)[11]

    I can't get to my sheet right now, so if something isn't accurate, well, bleh. XP
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  2. - Top - End - #602
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R5T7: Badly, badly wounded, the dwarven doctor steps back 5' out of range and casts a spell on himself for 19 healing, putting him back in the green.

    R5T6: Darrius tries to slide past the creature's rending claws to make contact with his gauntlet, hoping it'll be the blow to put the thing down, but he can't land a blow.

    End Round 5, Begin Round 6 ...

    R6T26: The monster lashes out with both talons at Ka'Xet, hitting him for 12 damage. Korian blocks a claw, but the thing spings around at Ka'Xet again, this time getting a claw across his neck for 5 damage, and Ka' is now significantly wounded. It bites at Celiss, and crits but fails to super-crit, biting her in the neck for 14 damage, putting her in the yellow.

    R6T12.1: Celiss, you just got a nasty bite in the neck and your wounds are starting to accumulate. Lazer is behind and to your right, since he needed to heal. You are flanking with Darrius. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #603
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss feels anger rise within her, blocking out the pain and nearly bringing her into another reckless attack sequence. She, however, opts to instead try and beat on the creature more defensively, stabbing with her sword once while her other limbs stay close, in a defensive stance.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting defensively. 27 AC should keep this guy off of me.
    Stabbing time.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[5]
    Almost rolled another d20 for damage...
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  4. - Top - End - #604
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R6T12.1: Celiss feels anger rise within her, blocking out the pain and nearly bringing her into another reckless attack sequence. She, however, opts to instead try and beat on the creature more defensively, stabbing with her sword once while her other limbs stay close, in a defensive stance.

    R6T12: Korian stabs the thing in the neck for 7 damage. Even though it would make sense for it to bite reflexively in its death throes at Korian, for some reason it bites at Celiss instead. Only because of her desperate defensive fighting does the thing .... just ... miss, getting stopped at last by her thin scales. Its body then erupts into a pool of corrosive goo.

    Because of it biting around her (despite no damage), a large amount splashes on Celiss. It looks like she would've been doused with a crippling amount of acid, but only takes 1 acid damage, as he scales seem to hold back most of the acid. It seems there is yet more for her to learn and enjoy about her heritage!

    The backlash of acid likewise splashes heavily on Darrius, and his dragon mantle only protects him of half the pain as he still takes 3 acid damage.

    Korian and Ka'Xet manage to dodge in time, and Lazer was just out of reach.

    Immediately, Lazer says, "Everyone move around that pool and come to me. Korian, I think you've been infected, which is why it didn't bite you. I need to check everyone's wounds, starting with those that were bitten. Hurry up, now! Ka'Xet, I need you to help me."

    R7: He diagnoses Korian, believing him to be infected. He prays to Moradin and healing magic washes into the god-son, and while it does not healing, the area where he was bitten seems to now be clean.

    R8: "Okay, this time, I need Korian to help me check Ka'Xet."

    Sure enough, Ka'Xet was also infected. "Dear Moradin," the rabbi says, feeling exhausted from the day's spellcasting. "I don't know if I have anything left in me. I am tired such that I can't focus on your blessings after that last prayer. If you have any faith in your servant's righteousness, please help me draw out this vile infection."

    Even though he did not cast a prayer-spell, holy magic likewise cleanses Ka'Xet's wound, though not healing the wound itself.

    R9-10: Ka'Xet is a good (though currently mute) assistant to Doctor Cohen, but they cannot see any signs of disease on Celiss ... especially after that particularly horrible bite she received. However, he tries to treat her with mundane medicinal ability, using his healer's kit. Ka'Xet does magnificently to aid the doctor in a top-notch job.

    "My dear Celiss, I see no signs of infection ... but I cannot be sure. My magic is so spare right now, but I think my unguents and such have helped that you should be fine. Everyone else, I want you to observe Celiss. Let me know if she starts to turn, and I'll try to channel every ounce of magic I possibly have to save her."

    The doctor then uses the healing wand on everyone. Korian (2 charges), Celiss (6 charges), Ka'Xet (5 charges), Darrius (3 charges), Self (1 charge). That took 17 rounds. By now, the monster's gooey remains turns into a dry powder.

    The party then moves into the room with the silks from whence this creature came. Most of the silks are badly damaged or bloodied, but Celiss and Lazer figure that if they have time, they might be able to come back and salvage some. Also, on the north end there are some rare books and tomes laid out to dry ... they also look like they might be valuable, but time is of the essence if you want to keep as much of Celiss' and Korian's spell effects useful in battles to come.

    There are five passages into this room. Two connect to the tunnels where this thing came and a little farther back from when you first entered. There is one to the north, one to the NE, and one to the SE. Korian does a quick circuit to smell the passageways while standing at the entrances (up to R30).

    "Smells of fungus and the rotting stink of the infected this way. I see what might be pens in a large room and before that chamber a door to the left." (N entrance)

    "I see a chamber several feet down with several dead creatures stacked in the center. Infected smells of creatures I've never smelt before." (NE entrance)

    "This one full of salt air, this entrance must exit to the spot where we saw a bridge. Just another entrance into the caves, probably." (SE entrance)

    Lazer says, "Creatures you've never smelt before, to me, means 'Not Man.' We go north. Sorry, Darrius, but we're not waiting for stealth-and-report. Celiss leads, then Korian, then me, then Ka'Xet, then Darrius in back. Ka'Xet, your bow is useless, so ready one of your mindblades to toss; those things are far more effective."

    25' down on the L is a barricade of shelves and tables. 15' past that is a large chamber. Now, there are hoots and hollers throughout that are hard to pinpoint in the echoing caves, but ahead the sound of shouts, wet cries of anguish, and the clang of metal on metal grows louder. "Let's check that chamber quickly."

    Dozens of five-foot-wide iron cages are built into the walls of this large cavern. Some are empty, while others contain the partially eaten remains of dead men and women. Yet most horrible are those cages that contain thrashing, wailing figures. Each of these seems more deformed than the last, twisting legs, writhing arms, vestigial heads, and jaws agape with too many teeth are all on display as the mad prisoners howl and slobber and throw themselves against the walls of their cages in a cacophonous attempt to break free. There is a passageway to the NE.

    "Moradin preserve them," says Lazer.

    Korian puts a strong hand on him. "You don't have the magic remaining, and those cages are wide enough for them to bite or swipe at you. I know it hurts your code, Lazer, but we can't do anything for them ... at least not now. Getting close to them would leave us open to attack, and they're too far gone to help now. Let's check this barricade where I smell the rot of fungus."

    It only takes one round for Darrius and Ka'Xet to aid Celiss in smashing down the barricade. A fairly even layer of sand covers the floor of this musty-smelling cavern. Large pottery urns line the walls of the cave, and within each grows a riot of strange mushrooms, fluted toadstools, phosphorescent molds, greasy-looking fronds of pale lichens, and all manner of strange fungi. Several large glass terrariums, their walls beaded with condensation, stand along the west wall. One of these is shattered, the loamy soil spilling out onto the sandy floor near a long but low table heaped with flasks, jars, bottles, and tools. Protruding from under the table are a pair of small boots, perhaps those of a gnome.

    "Back out," says Lazer. "We can check it later."

    The party passes through the 'slave pens' ... and each of the infected people howl even louder, pleading for release - even if they don't speak words or just a few. The NE 5pwy quickly curves around to the SE. A total of 15-20' brings you to another chamber. Sadly, it is at this point that Korian no longer feels his boost in morale ... and Celiss' force shield and boosted strength are gone.

    This sandy-floored cavern seems to be some sort of trophy hall. The centerpiece of the displays is an enormous reptilian skull, nearly 6' in length, mounted on a wooden display. Other trophies line the walls - nameplates from ships, battered sea chests, mounted heads of sea monsters, and weathered figureheads, each doubtless carrying a sordid history of theft and betrayal. There are three exits: one W, one on the other side to the SSE (and that looks like it is a multi-split pwy itself), and a pwy on the E. The closest is the one to the W.

    Once it is apparent (surely Celiss would say something) that Celiss' protections are greatly reduced, she swaps places with Korian. The party gets to the 5pwy heading W (heading WSW). It only goes in 15'. A quick move in and you find that this small area is filled with piles of blankets, clothing, cases of crossbow bolts, and a collection of swords, pole arms, axes, and other weaponry.

    "Since all of the protective magics we've had running are expended," says Lazer, "let's take a quick look at this area in case you want to rummage for any better weapons."

    He concentrates, "No magic here. We can do a true looting later, but just check if you want any weapons."

    There are 120 crossbow bolts, 3 short swords, 5 rapiers, 2 longswords, 2 scimitars, a glaive, 2 guisarmes, a halberd, 2 light crossbows, a heavy crossbow, 2 battle axes, 9 throwing axes, and a greataxe.

    Does this interest anyone?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #605
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss has no interest in any of the weapons.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  6. - Top - End - #606
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet manifests his mindblade
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius looks over the assorted weapons and takes a case or two of bolts, but doesn't seem interested in anything else.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  8. - Top - End - #608
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Lazer shrugs, "Well, I could use something for distance - a crossbow'd be nice. But if I can't carry it ... let's for get it. I still have the wands."

    Korian looks at the greataxe, even taking it down and hefting it for feel. "I like it. But it doesn't help us against our current foes. Even with the greater bite, the magic of the rapier means that nothing is lost, even if I only graze them."

    He thinks for a second, "Still, we don't know what else we'll find in here. I'll hold onto it for now ... strap it to my pack in case we meet up with something that doesn't resist a well-made, if non-magical, axe's edge."

    Also as a "just-in-case" weapon, Darrius girds himself with a short sword.

    "Darrius," says Lazer, "with protective spells down, we can take our time a little bit more. You're back on observe-and-report duty."

    Next is the 5pwy to the WNW. Only 10' in, the pwy splits and narrows into what looks like several miniature tunnels. There is hooting and hollering heard in these caves. "So much for that. Something's right in there. Okay, Darrius, you might be our heavy hitter, but you're not as well protected as Korian. Korian, lead; then myself; Darrius; Celiss; Ka'Xet in the rear. Korian ... I hope I don't offend you ... but can you sniff as we go so we don't walk in circles."

    Korian smirks (as best as can be considered for a creature with a wolverine's head). "None taken. Each to our gifts."

    These tunnels definitely get a little squeezy, and are very labyrinthine. There isn't a 10' section that doesn't have some type of split-off or switchback. Anything in these tunnels can effectively come at the party from nearly any direction.

    "Pirate!" calls Korian.

    R1T22: Hooting and howling come closer as a pirate appears in front of Korian and swipes at the flat-footed wolverine-man with his scimitar, cutting him along his outer right bicep for 9 damage, and sending Korian into a blood-rage.

    R1T17: Celiss, there is a split-off right next to you, and another on the same side behind the pirate. Perhaps they connect ... which might give you a means to attack the savage pirate. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #609
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss moves as quickly as she can into the split-off, turning back if it doesn't lead back into the tunnel. If she can, she will try to skewer the pirate on her blade.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stabby-time. I hope.

    Attack:
    (1d20+7)[14]
    IIRC flat-footed people don't flank.
    Damage:
    (1d6+3)[8]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-11-17 at 04:02 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  10. - Top - End - #610
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T22: Hooting and howling come closer as a pirate appears in front of Korian and swipes at the flat-footed wolverine-man with his scimitar, cutting him along his outer right bicep for 9 damage, and sending Korian into a blood-rage.

    [Whoops, forgot Korian ...]

    R1T21.9: Korian rimes his weapons with ice. He stabs the pirate in the right thigh for 9 damage + 2 cold. He claws the thing in its groin - his claws do no damage, but it takes 6 cold damage. He bites the thing in its left knee for no weapon damage and 2 cold.

    R1T17: Celiss moves as quickly as she can into the split-off, coming in behind the pirate as she tries to skewer it. Her slipping coming around the corner, despite flanking with Korian, is enough for her short sword to puncture the pirate's masterwork studded leather armor, but not its hide.

    R1T9: Lazer uses the wand and heals Korian of all the damage he took.

    R1T6: Darrius, there's no way to get to the thing now that Celiss came from the far side. You delay ...

    R1T4: Ka'Xet, what do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #611
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    [OOC]I'm at work right now, so I haven't access to my character sheet. Can I get a little assistance with the rolling?[/OOC]

    Ka'Xet throws his mindblade at the pirate-thingy and manifests another.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  12. - Top - End - #612
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T4: Ka'Xet throws his mindblade at the pirate-thingy and manifests another. His weapon strikes the thing through his left hand for 8 damage. It snaps its jaws at Celiss before erupting in an acid puddle, but Korian and Celiss both dodge ... and Korian's blood rage ends.

    Combat Ends ...

    No sooner does this happen then another pops out of a side tunnel and up to Celiss, while a third appears from the back to threaten Ka'Xet.

    R1T21: Celiss' aggressor surprises her from behind but misses with his scimitar.

    R1T15: Ka'Xet's aggressor, however, misses critting the xeph's head, only doing 7 damage.

    R1T14: Ka'Xet, you now have one that just hit you with a scimitar. What do you do ... mindblade in your hand?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #613
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Run him through.

    [OOC:]I'm still at work, unable to access my character sheet. I'm also in a foul mood, so it would be nice to be able to kill something.[/OOC]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  14. - Top - End - #614
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T14: Ka'Xet has been getting bounced around a lot lately. He's blind in one eye, he can't speak, and he just got whalloped in the head (again). He imbues his mindblade with psychic energy and stabs but fails to penetrate its hide.

    R1T12: Darrius? Do you delay, or do you duck out the same tunnel Celiss did to go forward, instead trying to make your way back behind the pirate attacking Ka'Xet. The problem with the latter is you might take a wrong tunnel and then be separated if there are other enemies. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius takes a step back and tries to fade away into the gloom as he draws his crossbow and seeks out an alternate path of attack.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I got called in for tomorrow, and then work Thursday through Sunday as normal.
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  16. - Top - End - #616
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T12: Darrius takes a step back and tries to fade away into the gloom as he draws his crossbow and seeks out an alternate path of attack.

    R1T11: Lazer delays ...

    R1T7: Korian unstraps his masterwork pilum and throws it at the one attacking Ka'Xet, but throws high overhead.

    R1T5: Celiss?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #617
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss shifts her weight slightly and strikes again, hoping to take full advantage of the pirate's split attention. Both strikes, one with her right elbow and the other with her left fist, carry close to the full power that the mage can bring to bear.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flurry Attacks(assuming I'm still flanking):
    1: (1d20+8)[24]
    2: (1d20+8)[22]
    Damage:
    1: (1d6+3)[7]
    2: (1d6+3)[8]

    EDIT: The Flurry bonuses weren't changed when Bull's Strength wore off, so that's a -2 to both attack rolls.

    Don't think it changes much, though.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-11-26 at 06:59 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  18. - Top - End - #618
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T5: Celiss shifts her weight slightly and strikes again, hoping to take full advantage of the pirate's split attention. Both strikes, one with her right elbow and the other with her left fist, carry close to the full power that the mage can bring to bear for a total of 5 mod damage with both strikes. You think it should be disabled, but by now you realize that these things run to the very limits of physical capacity and beyond.

    End Round 1, Begin Round 2 ...

    R2T21: The pirate's scimitar misses Celiss and glances off the wall, while his bite is swatted aside.

    R2T15: The pirate on Ka'Xet likewise misses with its scimitar on a high swing, but came down low with a bite to catch the xeph on his right calf and shin for 4 damage.

    R2T14.5: Lazer moves over to tap Ka'Xet with the wand for 8 healing, greatly revitalizing the soulknife.

    R2T14: Ka'Xet, your mindblade is currently charged with psychic energy and an enemy is in front of you. What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #619
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Hhha, khkhkhkaaakh tchkaaaahh!!!!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Nobody could possibly interpret the rasp that's coming out of Ka'Xet's mouth


    ATK

    (1d20+7)[22]

    DAM

    (1d6+3)[5]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  20. - Top - End - #620
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T14: Ka'Xet tries to make a rasping noise, but it ends up sounding like a very weak hiss. What isn't weak, however, is his psychically-amped stab to the pirate's left knee for 11 damage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You forgot I mentioned that you had psychic energy imbued into the weapon which gave you another +1d8 (in this case +6) damage.

    R2T12: Darrius, these tunnels are nuts. Worse, you can't 'listen' for the best place to go since the howls and jibbering echo so strongly here, making you go around a bit.

    R12T7: Korian envelops his weapons with cold again, but they all miss or are blocked by the pirate's scimitar.

    R2T5: Celiss?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #621
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss, hoping to finally finish the annoying creature, tries to hit it with one palm strike, followed by a high kick from the same side. Her palm strike lacks the strength necessary to do real damage, but her kick has accuracy that's close to the best possible for such an attack. It, however, lacks the destructive power the palm strike should have delivered...

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flurry!
    1: (1d20+6)[12]
    2: (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage:
    1: (1d6+3)[9]
    2: (1d6+3)[5]

    Of course...bad attack roll, max damage. Almost-crit, below average damage...
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-11-27 at 02:43 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  22. - Top - End - #622
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R2T5: Celiss, hoping to finally finish the annoying creature, tries to hit it with one palm strike, followed by a high kick from the same side. Her palm strike lacks the speed necessary to do channel her strength, but her kick has accuracy that's close to the best possible for such an attack. It, however, lacks the destructive power the palm strike should have delivered and thus she doesn't hurt the pirate with either.

    End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

    R3T21: The flanked pirate tries to show Celiss what she lacks but misses wildly with the scimitar. On the other hand - well, the other head, actually - it launches forward with a bite on her cheek and ear that misses crunching into the temple and does 4 damage.

    R3T15: The pirate at the rear has its attacks turned by the xeph's mithral chain shirt.

    R3T14.5: Lazer delays ...

    R3T14: Ka'Xet, Lazer is behind you with the healing wand, though you only are minorly scratched right now. Since you don't have iterative attacks, it should cost you nothing to imbue your mindblade with psychic energy again (a MA - Move Action). What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #623
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet's mindblade flares and glows with a brighter light. Ka'Xet swings at his opponent.

    ATK

    (1d20+7)[20]

    DAM

    (1d6+3)[9]
    (1d8)[4]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  24. - Top - End - #624
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R3T14: Ka'Xet's mindblade flares and glows with a brighter light. Ka'Xet swings thrusts at his opponent. (Remember, it's like a short sword ... not a short 'blade'.) He hits his opponent squarely in the chest for 13 damage! The pirate tries to bite Ka'Xet in his death throes before erupting into an acid puddle, which the nimble xeph avoids.

    R3T12: Darrius finally finds his way to the back of the bus, only to find that the pirate is killed, and he doesn't have a straight shot to the combat up front.

    R3T7: Korian's weapons retain their icy sheen. His rapier draws the pirate's scimitar offline to allow Korian to have a clear swipe to his offhand forearm for no claw damage, but 3 cold damage. As the pirate shivers, Korian dives low to bite his left foot for 4 cold damage.

    R3T5: Celiss, can you finish this thing off?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #625
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet does a happy dance for FINALLY killing something.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

  26. - Top - End - #626
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss, deciding that she needs a single, more accurate attack rather than multiple less accurate ones, shifts her weight as if she plans to use a knee strike but then thrusting with her sword, hoping to finish the battle with one strike. Although it seems her feint is quite convincing, but her thrust is too rushed to be as effective as she hoped it would be.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feint'n'Stab
    Bluff: (1d20+1)[18]
    Attack: (1d20+8)[11]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[8]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-11-29 at 02:41 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  27. - Top - End - #627
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Ka'Xet starts to make strange gesticulations ... probably some religious ritual, practiced by his race, for honoring fallen dead.

    R3T5: Celiss, deciding that she needs a single, more accurate attack rather than multiple less accurate ones, shifts her weight as if she plans to use a knee strike but then thrusting with her sword, hoping to finish the battle with one strike. She is poised to take advantage of this opening...
    Spoiler
    Show
    You aren't trained - i.e., Improved Feint - to be quick with feints in combat. Feinting in combat is a standard action, which takes up your attack. On your next action/attack, your opponent is flat-footed. Unfortunately, you have to make the attack before your next turn, which means it has to provoke an AOO.

    End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ...

    R4T21: The pirate attacks Korian, but is fended off.

    R4T14: Ka'Xet doesn't have a clear shot to this thing just slightly around the corner.

    R4T12: Likewise Darrius ...

    R4T7: Yet again, frost-rimed weapons for Korian ... a perfect stab to the thing's head with his rapier for 8 weapon and 6 cold damage. It misses with its bite and erupts, which Korian and Celiss both dodge.

    Combat Ends ...

    Ka'Xet's bite wound is checked. As far as Lazer can tell, he is not infected, but the dwarven rabbi has one last remove disease just in case.

    The heroes wind their ways through the tunnels. Despite the echoing of the pirates in the complex - and your guessing by now most of them are from the cages, you press forward into a new chamber, realizing that you don't really hear hooting in front of you except a few distant reverberations.

    This cavern has been outfitted with the finest in stolen furniture. Thick rugs cover the floor, and fine silk tapestries and masterful seascapes hang from the walls, giving the place an almost regal feel. A four-poster bed takes up much of a large nook to the south, and nearby stands an oak desk with a matching armoire. Alas, much of this furniture is ruined, spattered and stained with gore and deeply scarred by swordplay. A skeletal body once dressed in the ruins of a once-fine suit of studded leather lies in a red heap at the foot of the bed. Five more bodies lie about the room, horribly deformed men and women who seemed to have perished on a rapier's point.

    Korian, impressed by the doomed and devoured defender's swordsmanship, looks at the enemy quizzically. "Why didn't these savages burst into acid like the others and disappear into powder?"

    Lazer looks over the bodies. "It seems that they aren't quite as mutated - though enough still to be hideous - as the others we fought. I think this curse-disease is progressive, so that it isn't until the final stages that they reach the full reach of the disease. Up to that point, such as the ones here, their bodies are still retrievable."

    He looks around. "Okay, everyone. We've bypassed all booty until now, but this looks like the leader's lair. Make a decent search for any clues. Celiss, look over everything for any magic that may help us. Quickly, now, as with everything else we can come back later for a stronger search, but we need to try and see if Vanthus' remains are here, if he is holed up, or if he escaped ... at least as best we can. I know I'll want to take a few of these dead partial-savage pirates to learn more about this disease."

    Found ....
    * This leader's masterwork rapier, with a bronze hilt in the shape of a griffon, was kicked under the bed. Celiss is positive it is a +1 rapier.
    *** Lazer has Celiss take the rapier. "I know it's not your fists or your short sword, Lady Nightrom, but any more of these pirates and you need what magic you can to overcome their resistance .... for all of our sakes, and you already mentioned [off-camera in combat sessions] you are well-versed in most weapons."

    * The leader's bony finger has a ring with a gold band set with aquamarine gemstones. It is magical with faint transmutation.
    *** Celiss and Darrius are unable, from a magical study, to divine the ring's function.
    *** Rabbi Cohen, having already proven his intuitive ability to tap the power of magical items he wouldn't normally be able to use (such as the ray of enfeeblement), puts the ring on and concentrates. "It seems that this is a ring of swimming, an item that greatly helps the wearer to overcome hazardous currents in the water, but not to breathe or move freely .... just swim better. Celiss, you're the only one of us who doesn't know how to swim ... this is for you as well."

    * The doctor recognizes (even without the ears) that the fallen man was actually a half-elf. Strapped to his arm is a non-magical darkwood buckler shield. "We'll leave this for now and come back for it later."

    * A search of the desk uncovers three silver bars that Lazer value at 30 gp each ... to be left behind for now.

    * One of the few objects to escape destruction in this room, there is a vial of vermillion ink on the desk that Darrius appraises at 40 gp ... left for now.

    The room has one exit to the east. About now, there is combat heard from that passageway ...

    "Let's go!" calls Korian.

    As you get closer there is the unmistakeable slobbering cries of rage and hunger from several savage pirates, and a woman's voice shouting profane threats and curses that becomes audible.

    The floor of this cavern slopes downwards to the southeast, finally ending in a large tide pool. The waters seem to be surging from a submerged passageway leading to the southwest. A hammock strung between two stalagmites sways gently to the south, next to an overturned table and a broken chair.

    A woman has been backed into the southern corner of the cave, where she uses the overturned table as cover to fend off a half-dozen savage pirates. Over a dozen more lay dead on the ground, yet for all her skills in swordplay, this woman is growing weary and is sports many wounds. It seems that she's been bitten several times, and her skin and body are showing signs of the savage fever already.

    She sees the PCs come into the room and she calls out, "Oi! Get in the fight or stay outta me way, buckos. These things are looking to die, and I plan on obliging."

    This woman is a bold beauty with raven-black hair that flows like the deepest shade of midnight against her deeply tanned skin. She wears tight leather armor studded with fire opals and pearls and wields a curved rapier and dagger in a blinding display of swordplay.

    There are 8 pirates!!

    R1T26-24: This woman brilliantly blocks attacks from two pirates.

    R1T22: Darrius, you already know by now that sneak attacks just don't work on these guys. You are 15' from the nearest pirate. What do you do? Only three PCs can fight side-by-side before no other hero can get through, but you do the most damage with your lightning gauntlets.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-11-30 at 05:23 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Tacitus's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Darrius moves in to position himself at a location that will give others angles to flank with the woman better than himself, as his touch only barely needs a distraction from others to work well. Once in position he reaches out to shock the nearest one he can.

    Spoiler
    Show
    MTA: (1d20+4)[6] +2 if flanking
    Elec: (3d6)[9]
    Never can find my towel...

    So it goes.

    Healing is like accounting, but with life and death.
    -Self

  29. - Top - End - #629
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    lostsole31's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    R1T22: The pirates are pretty thickly concentrated, and Darrius can't flank. However, he does splash into the water (wading to shins, not enough to get cover) to come at the flank of that first pirate line. He reaches out to shock the pirate but misses.

    R1T21: The woman fends off SP3.

    R1T20.9: Celiss, you have 30' to the back line of pirates. Darrius is attacking one standing next to water, but there's no way to flank him (or the other two). What do you do?
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #630
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Savage Tide [IC]

    Celiss rushes forwards to strike one of the pirate mutants, gripping her sword, annoyance rushing through her. Only one spell remaining, and it wouldn't be much use on her unless she could draw the attacks of all of the pirates to herself, which wasn't a very good idea in her mind. As she thrusts her blade forwards, hoping to impale the pirate through the midsection, a flash of red covers her vision for a fraction of a second, a brief flow of energy coursing along her arm. It feels sort of like the same force that sent a wave of darkness from her before, but weaker, and more focused.

    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alrighty. Arcanely Striking, run-and-stab.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[7] including AS.
    Declaring my dodge on the one I attack.



    DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I just noticed Arcane Strike, since I can't find any source I'm going to assume it's from my heritage-y-thing and play it accordingly.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •